• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

EMyLIQkUEAEcHs_

In a tweet talking about the Yo-kai Academy Y TV anime (based on the recently released 6th Yo-kai Watch movie), Hino drops this screenshot of the upcoming game, clearly based on this new iteration. No mention of consoles.

Kind of looks like they went with the Link's Awakening style where characters look like toys.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda cute, though it makes me think of the Ni no Kuni 2 overworld where they're chibi. Maybe they become normal-proportioned when you enter buildings?

also since it's a school setting it'd be fun if Yo-Kai Watch tried to be Persona-like for a bit

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
Hino posted another new pic.

ESa4vxYUcAAi7Al

Looks like it's using the YW4 engine. Hopefully more refined.

IT'S LITERAL SHIT!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This series deserved better. As far as I know Yokai Watch 4's western release is still in limbo right?

Also this is going to be the first multiplatform one right?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hino posted another new pic.

ESa4vxYUcAAi7Al

Looks like it's using the YW4 engine. Hopefully more refined.

IT'S LITERAL SHIT!

i know Yokai Watch didn't take off in the west the way that they had hoped but I really wish these games got a faster translation. like afaik there still isn't a YW4 release date and there is no word if that Switch port of the original is going to come at all, and YW3 was just dumped on the 3DS without everyone really ever knowing

i want to support this series as much as a i can because i really like it but it's so hard. please let me just buy and play your games!

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I wonder if putting Jibanyan in Smash would boost the series' popularity? I used to see kids with Yokai Watch bags and folders and stuff all the time but not at all lately.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
This series deserved better. As far as I know Yokai Watch 4's western release is still in limbo right?

Also this is going to be the first multiplatform one right?

Yes to the localization limbo. All we know is that "it's happening" but that was announced eight months ago now. No updates since. Especially since the official Twitter died.

We don't know if this will be multi-platform. YW4 ended up being up multi-plat with a PS4 release (that bombed horribly).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Yokai Watch have a mess of a localisation?
I seem to recall another 'eat your hamburger Apoolo' situation.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i know Yokai Watch didn't take off in the west the way that they had hoped but I really wish these games got a faster translation. like afaik there still isn't a YW4 release date and there is no word if that Switch port of the original is going to come at all, and YW3 was just dumped on the 3DS without everyone really ever knowing

i want to support this series as much as a i can because i really like it but it's so hard. please let me just buy and play your games!

Nintendo handled the 3DS games and the first one did really well but Hino had higher expectations and has ditched Nintendo so expect the handling to get worse.

It took Level 5 years to get Snack World out in the west. and it completely bombed.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
The screenshot looks nice but they need to put the watch back in the box.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
isn't this the mobile game they already announced?
looks nothing like YW4 honestly

Seems silly to keep trying mobile games when most of them keep bombing. Only Puni Puni and Kunotori Wars have done well.
I don't think it's mobile... but we'll see.

Didn't Yokai Watch have a mess of a localisation?
I seem to recall another 'eat your hamburger Apoolo' situation.

Yes and no.
They keep the country vague thanks to changes in the PAL localizations (using euros instead of dollars or yen). The weird thing is the third game which involves Nate moving to another country. In Japanese and non-English localizations he moves the US, but in English localizations he moves to the fictional country of BBQ (which is basically Texas).
They reference the fact Japan exists, with the second game even having an unaltered cameo from Kumamon (the mascot of the Kumamoto Prefecture). But overall it's an odd localization kind of ham-stringed from early attempts to westernize it.

Nintendo handled the 3DS games and the first one did really well but Hino had higher expectations and has ditched Nintendo so expect the handling to get worse.

It took Level 5 years to get Snack World out in the west. and it completely bombed.

Granted, the game bombed in Japan so it's not like it would do any better here. It didn't get any marketing either so that really didn't help.
Level-5 is still a horribly mismanaged company.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say the screenshot looks like a Busters game.

In Yo-kai Watch Jam: Yo-kai Academy Y – Waiwai Gakuen Seikatsu, players become a Yo-kai Hero and fight fierce battles, while also enjoying academy life. It will feature new systems previously not seen in a Yo-kai Watch game.

Busters + Persona

That's my guess!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
still waiting on yw4 :(

I thought, with the years-long gap between YW3 and YW4, the global releases would have a chance to "catch up." But then Level-5 ditched Nintendo or Nintendo ditched Level-5 or whatever, and now we're basically at square one again.

I think being on the Switch could've boosted the series globally, if handled right. Hopefully it still does?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still waiting on yw4 :(

I thought, with the years-long gap between YW3 and YW4, the global releases would have a chance to "catch up." But then Level-5 ditched Nintendo or Nintendo ditched Level-5 or whatever, and now we're basically at square one again.

I think being on the Switch could've boosted the series globally, if handled right. Hopefully it still does?
that's gonna take a hefty marketing budget. and pushing the cartoon hard. putting it on netflix and advertising the shit out of it could work, but with the loss of NIntendo and their western branch barely existing, that's out of the question

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I guess since Yokai Watch is multiplatform now they lose Nintendo's support. Bandai Namco will probably swoop in to save the day.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there was a "falling out" between Level-5 and Nintendo. I think Level-5 is trying to establish some modicum of independence outside of Japan... and failing horribly at it.
They really need someone like Bandai-Namco or Square-Enix to help them. Companies that have big footholds in the Western market. They also need to stop making everything a franchise, just let games be games.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They keep the country vague thanks to changes in the PAL localizations (using euros instead of dollars or yen). The weird thing is the third game which involves Nate moving to another country. In Japanese and non-English localizations he moves the US, but in English localizations he moves to the fictional country of BBQ (which is basically Texas).
They reference the fact Japan exists, with the second game even having an unaltered cameo from Kumamon (the mascot of the Kumamoto Prefecture). But overall it's an odd localization kind of ham-stringed from early attempts to westernize it.
I wish localizations would stop doing that. I played the first two games, but after learning what the different Yo-Kai reference, I wish they had left things as Japanese as possible. Some of Yo-Kai Watch's charm is lost when all the names are devoid of their origins.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
I wish localizations would stop doing that. I played the first two games, but after learning what the different Yo-Kai reference, I wish they had left things as Japanese as possible. Some of Yo-Kai Watch's charm is lost when all the names are devoid of their origins.

The hard part is that they're appealing to kids. On top of most of the Yo-kai's names being puns or wordplay. Not every Yo-kai is as simple as Kyubi or Tengu.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The hard part is that they're appealing to kids. On top of most of the Yo-kai's names being puns or wordplay. Not every Yo-kai is as simple as Kyubi or Tengu.
Am I wrong in thinking that it's OK to leave some things in Japanese so that kids have the opportunity to learn something new? Because, that's how I'm feeling about it. The cartoon art and fun gameplay should be enough to attract kids.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
what the heck happened to this series? I remember it being huge and having an anime and then it just fell down

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong in thinking that it's OK to leave some things in Japanese so that kids have the opportunity to learn something new? Because, that's how I'm feeling about it. The cartoon art and fun gameplay should be enough to attract kids.
the problem with that is that requires keeping people's attention enough for them to go out and learn it. most folks just ain't that interested