• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
*Pretends to be shocked.*

This was retaliation, idk anything about war but I'm not exactly condemning this attack yet. Were they supposed to do a small attack and make sure they specifically killed one person and wounded 14 others?
lmao, sure why not I guess. Let's keep the endless cycle going instead.

This. It's impossible to be a US president without having blood on your hands by the time you leave office.
Nah, not this. There are choices to be made. And the reason why every US president repeats the exact same actions as the one before him, is because every single president that has come don't give a fuck about deescalating and reducing warfare. The US is after its interests. Well, the rich donor class's interests. And that's why they keep the machine going. Gotta sell those weapons. Gotta keep those pesky countries right on the brink.

If we actually elect people that give a fuck about these things, we'd have different outcomes. But we keep electing imperialist bastards and then are shocked when they do imperialist bastardy things.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Fuck all of this. Fuck Biden. Fuck the democrats. Fuck the military-industrial complex. Fuck anyone supporting this shit. Fuck everything.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that it was Iran sponsored groups ? Eitherway, American imperialism is a thing and will probably always be a thing in my life time.

Many of the Shiite militias in Iraq are Iraqi government backed. They are also backed by Iran.

Why is everyone saying Iraq state sponsored militias? I thought the article said Iran?

"It said all of the dead were from Iraq's state-sponsored Hashd al-Shaabi, an umbrella force that includes many small militias with ties to Iran."

Maybe read the article again.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Weird reaction in this thread. It was a limited airstrike against a military group that claimed responsibility for a rocket attack that injured non-combat soldiers and killed a civilian, but from the replies here you'd think Biden personally droned an orphanage. Is there any indication that there were any civilian casualties here?

Assailing him for bombing "brown people" is a bad look when those people are being bombed for attacking non-combatants and bragging about it.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, not this. There are choices to be made. And the reason why every US president repeats the exact same actions as the one before him, is because every single president that has come don't give a fuck about deescalating and reducing warfare. The US is after its interests. Well, the rich donor class's interests. And that's why they keep the machine going. Gotta sell those weapons. Gotta keep those pesky countries right on the brink.

If we actually elect people that give a fuck about these things, we'd have different outcomes. But we keep electing imperialist bastards and then are shocked when they do imperialist bastardy things.
I hope your right. It's be real nice to see progressive leadership from the US in my lifetime.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Why is everyone saying Iraq state sponsored militias? I thought the article said Iran?

the ties to iran is...

IRaq group, that has parts, and some of those parts, have ties to an iranian militia.

How much of that I buy, is very little.

" Iraq's state-sponsored Hashd al-Shaabi, an umbrella force that includes many small militias with ties to Iran. "

But its trying to suggest the Ties to iran is the majority / thus iran.. thats my take from the description.

Last edited:

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Retaliation for attacks against troops who are there... to do what exactly? Play operation human shield to deter Turkish aggression?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You've got an entire military industrial complex going on that isn't going to suddenly stop over night because we got a really liberal President in the office. Bernie Sanders would have blood all over his hands after 4 years as President whether it was from military action, the CIA being the CIA or any number of messy affairs.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Weird reaction in this thread. It was a limited airstrike against a military group that claimed responsibility for a rocket attack that injured non-combat soldiers and killed a civilian, but from the replies here you'd think Biden personally droned an orphanage. Is there any indication that there were any civilian casualties here?

Assailing him for bombing "brown people" is a bad look when those people are being bombed for attacking non-combatants and bragging about it.
Lots of folks want to be seen as being mad.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Just stop, man. Nobody's buying your brand of bullshit anymore.
??? What on earth is my brand of bullshit? Pushing back against glib posts? You haven't even actually responded to anything.

The military industrial complex is huge and has unfathomable power. I had no idea until I met people who worked in it and spoke at length about everything they did and everything it touches. I don't mean this in a conspiratorial way -- just that the size and momentum of the US military is straight-up astounding, and even if it was possible to order it to stand down immediately, which it isn't, it would have unbelievable cascading effects, even within peaceful civilian realms.

It 100% needs to be wound down in a bunch of ways, but unfortunately no single president could stop it on the spot. It's a truck rolling down a hill at this point, it needs to be de-accelerated over time as an ongoing group effort.

That doesn't excuse individual discretionary actions that the executive may have direct control over, like an individual drone or air strike, but it goes so far beyond that.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
"It said all of the dead were from Iraq's state-sponsored Hashd al-Shaabi, an umbrella force that includes many small militias with ties to I
Maybe read the article again.

I did, but it was followed up with this:

'said the location of the strikes was used by Kataeb Hezbollah and Kata'ib Sayyid al-Shuhada, two Iraqi pro-Iran groups operating under the Hashd umbrella. '

So it is certainly confusing to say the least.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I did, but it was followed up with this:

'said the location of the strikes was used by Kataeb Hezbollah and Kata'ib Sayyid al-Shuhada, two Iraqi pro-Iran groups operating under the Hashd umbrella. '

So it is certainly confusing to say the least.
Iraq has a sunni / shia split and the shia militias and government elements receive support from Iran. That's my most recent understanding at least -- correct me if I'm wrong.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Lots of folks want to be seen as being mad.
Or maybe people are mad that we're still in places we have no business being in with no signs of things getting better anytime soon and having no tangible strategy beyond "feed the money machine that is the US military"

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We should be getting out of Iraq, I hope that happens soon. In the mean time retaliation being the only time bombing is used is far preferable to a constant drone war.

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised, but still disappointed. Breaking international law by air striking Iranian-backed troops in Syria to avenge deaths in Iraq is not good foreign policy. But then again, it's business as usual for a US President.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The eternal story of "centrist" Democrats and the voters who fall for their act.

39700e52-548f-4b4e-8eogk8w.gif

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed. Militias went and attacked our troops. We retaliated only on the militia. What's all the fuss about here?

Retaliation for attacks against troops who are there... to do what exactly? Play operation human shield to deter Turkish aggression?
Exactly. The reactions in this thread are ridiculous. If Biden did nothing they'd feel emboldened and attack us more. Not really sure what was expected here.

If folks are saying we killed more people, it's not like you strategically kill exactly the same number of people. If the militias wanted to kill more they would have. They shouldn't have attacked the troops in the first place.

To be honest I hate any loss of life, but I don't think there are great solutions once the militia initiated an attack. Maybe bomb a base instead? Hopefully this deters further militia attacks but we'll see...

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe people are mad that we're still in places we have no business being in with no signs of things getting better anytime soon and having no tangible strategy beyond "feed the money machine that is the US military"
Honestly it's a bit of both. Yes, people really care, undoubtedly. And it's worth caring about -- the middle east is completely fucked up, largely because of the US. But social media is inherently performative. There are definitely people I know on my Facebook feed who do more performing than actual activism. I can't speak to the specific motivations of anyone I don't know, but I would presume that there are some similar people on ERA and other message boards too.

"BU BU BUT THE PAWLIAMENTEWIAN"
How is this relevant at all? Are you going to write up any substantive thoughts on anything or just troll for reactions?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Agreed. Militias went and attacked our troops. We retaliated only on the militia. What's all the fuss about here?

Exactly. The reactions in this thread are ridiculous. If Biden did nothing they'd feel emboldened and attack us more. Not really sure what was expected here.

If folks are saying we killed more people, it's not like you strategically kill exactly the same number of people. If the militias wanted to kill more they would have. They shouldn't have attacked the troops in the first place.

Our troops shouldn't be there, in the first place. This story is tiring and it literally has no end in sight.
22 families just created about what, 5 to 10 per family of new 'militia' applicants.
This isn't something the USA is going to win, or has won, in about two fucking decades.
They are 'emboldened' because we blew up the wrong country over 911, hung around, and are still in bed with Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, 3000 americans are dying a day, and everyone is broke. Don't feign confusion at the reactions in the thread.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, after reading more about it, I can understand why this the US had to retaliate. The situation sucks, but the US needed to have a response.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

To be honest I hate any loss of life, but I don't think there are great solutions once the militia initiated an attack. Maybe bomb a base instead? Hopefully this deters further militia attacks but we'll see...
The goal should be to get the fuck out of Iraq so retaliation isn't necessary. At least we pulled the fuck out of Yemen.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

I think I agree with you. Is there a single head of state on Earth that would be against retaliating against a militia group that killed and wounded their people in an attack? As long as no civilians were killed and there's no major info I'm overlooking, it was justified by the standards of virtually every nation that has ever had a military.

The problem is being there in the first place. We need to extract ourselves from the warzone.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's only been a month give him time!!!"

Yet he has time to scorch the earth.

Not too single you out but this portrays the President as having king like powers. Its not like Biden is the one pulling the physical trigger anymore than he's the one who can just decide to give people universal healthcare with the snap of his fingers. This isn't to defend bombing people in other countries but I feel like folks lose sight of the fact there is an entire government apparatus that both empowers and limits what Biden can or can't do. Its not a good mindset to get into unless you want to give yourself a daily migraine.