• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I find the controls better and less finicky than the taps on the old AirPods.

...Not that I will use them tho, using Apple Watch for playback is better still.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Is it just me or does it take a surprising amount of force to get the tips off? I felt like I was gonna break them. Also I think I get a better seal with the large ones but they kinda go inside out sometimes when I pull them out... maybe I did something wrong attaching them though.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Also compared to my previous over ear NC headphones the ANC isn't quite as good, and also compared to previous IEMs I've had I can't seem to get as good as of a seal (I usually used comply tips). However as a first time AirPods user these are super comfortable and light and sound pretty decent.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does it take a surprising amount of force to get the tips off? I felt like I was gonna break them. Also I think I get a better seal with the large ones but they kinda go inside out sometimes when I pull them out... maybe I did something wrong attaching them though.
Not just you. It's been stated in all the previews that they require a bit of force but its totally normal. I like how they click in

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
So far I like them a lot, it's nice to be able to squeeze the stem to hear someone rather than take them off. I feel with the gel in my ear they sound louder but I don't feel the sound any better.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also compared to my previous over ear NC headphones the ANC isn't quite as good, and also compared to previous IEMs I've had I can't seem to get as good as of a seal (I usually used comply tips). However as a first time AirPods user these are super comfortable and light and sound pretty decent.
You can't compare these to over the ear ANC headphones.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Impulse purchased after demo at Apple Store. Part of me loves them but part of me also misses the fit of the OGs. These do not simply melt into my ears the ways those do. With that said, they're as comfortable as in-ear headphones could be.

Last edited:

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
I tried connecting it to my work Windows 10 laptop and I keep getting this werid buzz and click in the right ear every few minutes...any ideas?

EDIT: I think it was because I didn't put the tip on all the way.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
fucking gross

Been using mine for a couple hours. I think I like the original AirPods more. I can't even tell those are in my ears but these are noticeable. Maybe I'll get used to them
What's the big deal? Either wipe down the tips after the person before or replace with new ones which probably cost them a cent to manufacture or less.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
How are these compared to the wf-1000xm3? I had to return those since they would always break due to noise interference.
So far we had one more detailed impression from Presskohle saying that the ANC on these is slighly worse than WF XM3s (or more inconsistent), and the sound quality also a bit worse:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/airpods-pro-releasing-wednesday-10-30-for-250.149722/post-25941617

And there was another from hydro94530 saying that the ANC seems better than WF XM3:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/airpods-pro-releasing-wednesday-10-30-for-250.149722/post-25952162

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
First impressions aren't... super positive for me.

I tinkered for like... 5 min... so subject to change; but right from the get here's what I noticed:

- wider case is harder to open with one hand
- slower to get them quickly put in your ears
- isolation is ... decent... way, way better than regular AirPods, but a far cry from nice over the ear headphones
- music quality feels on-par with regular AirPods (which is to say, not all that great) just with less background noise and a bit better bass
- way more "noticeable feeling" in the ears, but maybe that'll change with more time

They're not as great sounding as some other brands, and not as immediately convenient as regular AirPods. For $250.

gonna give em more time tonight. I was initially super down on the gen 1s too, and now they're one of my favorite pieces of tech ever - so I'm open to completely 180ing my opinions

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. Read a few posts now online about call quality not being good. Anyone else who bought it here tested calls yet?.
Also curious about this, read similar things. Considering how good the first ones are at calls I was hoping these would be as good (or close, I'm sure the shorter stems make some kind of difference).

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So far we had one more detailed impression from Presskohle saying that the ANC on these is slighly worse than WF XM3s (or more inconsistent), and the sound quality also a bit worse:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/airpods-pro-releasing-wednesday-10-30-for-250.149722/post-25941617

And there was another from hydro94530 saying that the ANC seems better than WF XM3:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/airpods-pro-releasing-wednesday-10-30-for-250.149722/post-25952162
Thanks for the links! I guess I'll keep waiting for more impressions. I was really disappointed with the wfxm3 so not sure if these are any better.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
I caved and bought a pair today at my local Apple Store lol. Initial impressions are pretty similar to most peoples - they're still very comfortable and the sound quality is a step up from the OG AirPods but still nothing mind-blowing. Still getting used to the stem squeeze... IMO it requires a little too much force to activate and I wish they'd tone it down a bit (surely they can adjust that via firmware, or at least let people choose a setting?).

Also they were letting people test them out at my Apple Store LOL. Honestly didn't think anything of it until I started reading through this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people trying to compare earbuds with noise cancellation to over the ear headphones with noise cancellation?

I have some QuietComfort Bose headphones and they demolish these but I know they aren't supposed to be 1:1 or even in the same realm lol..

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing these to my B&O e8 2.0's, which were my favorite wireless earbuds so far in terms of sound, the AirPods Pro sound better. The soundstage feels wider and the bass is more pronounced. They're not just barely a step up from the normal AirPods, they're quite a bit better. Basically the same ballpark as the PowerBeats Pro, which are pretty great.

BeCrush

Nov 14, 2017
Do the Volume on the pro's seem exceptionally low for anyone else? When playing music I can't hear any music until midway on the volume rockker..and the peak volume doesn't get as loud as my OG AirPods.

Is anyone else having a similar experience ??.....thinking about returning them to see if mine are defective.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is this compatible with Android devices? I'm thinking of switching to iPhone maybe next year (or when the iPhone 12 comes out). Would it be better to buy Sony WF 1000XM3 instead?

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions on them with nothing playing, just the noise cancellation?

I say they block out about 75% of the noise.. maybe 80%. Faint noises like people who were typing on loud keyboards outside my office were still present but barely. Same thing with quiet 1:1 convos outside my office today (door open on both instances). It really excels at taking out larger noises. Music on top of it just drowns it all out.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Do the Volume on the pro's seem exceptionally low for anyone else? When playing music I can't hear any music until midway on the volume rockker..and the peak volume doesn't get as loud as my OG AirPods.

Is anyone else having a similar experience ??.....thinking about returning them to see if mine are defective.
Yeah, seems low on mine as well. I feel like I have to have the volume around 70% whereas with the OG AirPods I usually kept it around 50%.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Yeah, seems low on mine as well. I feel like I have to have the volume around 70% whereas with the OG AirPods I usually kept it around 50%.
I didn't have the original airpods, but 50-70% seems where I'm setting it. Weird since I saw some impressions saying the NC let them listen at around 40% comfortably.

Also, unrelated but were you able to use the tapping controls on Windows 10 with the original AirPods? Since they don't seem to do anything with the squeezing on these.

BeCrush

Nov 14, 2017

Ok.....i assumed my hearing was going at first and then tried the OG AirPods and noticed how much louder they are at max. Seems like a waste to go below 50% volume which is weird.

Thanks....

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people trying to compare earbuds with noise cancellation to over the ear headphones with noise cancellation?
So far when people here were comparing them with "XM3s" they were always comparimg them with in-ear WF1000XM3s, not the over ear WH1000XM3s. Sony really screwed the naming of these even more than usual, as it feels natural to abbreviate both as XM3.
But keep in mind that these are the first IEMs that have inside and outside microphones, so the expectation was running higher for them (plus, Brownlee, the YouTube tech reviewer, was saying that their ANC is on par with Beats Solo Pro which are on-ear, but pretty large)

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
So far when people here were comparing them with "XM3s" they were always comparimg them with in-ear WF1000XM3s, not the over ear WH1000XM3s. Sony really screwed the naming of these even more than usual, as it feels natural to abbreviate both as XM3.
But keep in mind that these are the first IEMs that have inside and outside microphones, so the expectation was running higher for them (plus, Brownlee, the YouTube tech reviewer, was saying that their ANC is on par with Beats Solo Pro which are on-ear, but pretty large)

However, I've seen several comments on reddit and Twitter comparing these to the Bose QC35 (which are unmistakably over-ears) and saying they sounded and canceled noise better (which I find unbelievable lol)

Oct 25, 2017
Not referring to those comparing them to Sony's but those that are comparing but just in general a few posts didnt reference a model and just said 'OTE' ones.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
However, I've seen several comments on reddit and Twitter comparing these to the Bose QC35 (which are unmistakably over-ears) and saying they sounded and canceled noise better (which I find unbelievable lol)
Yeah, it's nonsense. I haves the QC35 and Airpod Pros and the Pros don't come close.
EDIT: That said, the Pros are fantastic.

Last edited:

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Nice little touch with the tips. Didn't realize until tonight that there is a very thin mesh within the tips, which I'm sure helps with sweat resistance and blocking ear debris from actually reaching the speaker head like it easily does on the normal pair of AirPods. These won't be an asshole to clean over time hopefully.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to get these to replace my original AirPods, but it's hard to justify with the price increase (in Canada), so thinking hard about it. I do use the AirPods all the time at work and around the house. Seems like overall the sentiment is positive though, which is good to see.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to get these to replace my original AirPods, but it's hard to justify with the price increase (in Canada), so thinking hard about it. I do use the AirPods all the time at work and around the house. Seems like overall the sentiment is positive though, which is good to see.
Yeah same here, $370 (taxes included) is kind of insane. I just bought the first AirPods last year.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I love my AirPods so much. So disappointed in the soft tips on these.

(haven't tried them but I do not like soft tip buds)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My Best Buy pre-order is preparing to ship. I hope they get here on Friday!

I've spent a couple of years doing research and kind of wanting to get some ANC headphones, but I am not a big over-ear or on-ear person -- I've personally always liked the compactness and the seal of earbuds, with that latter quality (the seal) being something of a contentious preference.

The first pair of over-ears that caught my attention were the Sony M3s, and of course earlier this year they did their own earbuds with ANC too, and I was real close to grabbing them until I decided I was for sure switching from Android over to iOS. Going to iOS and having the H1 chip for headphone connectivity seemed like a huge deal for me, since my Android experience with several different wireless earbuds (truly wireless and the old tethered wireless styles) always seemed to have some sort of connection issue or compromise -- either spotty reliability with connection or a significant audio delay that made video playback impossible, nevermind having to manually dig into Bluetooth settings on a per-device basis to re-pair. I had significant audio delay in 2 of the brands I tried, and 1 just constantly failed to keep my media stream up consistently -- lots of breaks and cracks in the audio delivery.

Anyway, Airpods Pro seem to have pretty much all of the features I want and it seems to do them all pretty well. Maybe not best-in-class in any specific regard, but assuming the new in-ear design fits me unlike the regular Airpods, it's pretty much perfect for me. Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Got lucky, I bought Powerbeats Pro just a few weeks ago and thankfully they're still within return period so I took them back after the Airpods Pro were announced. They were a fantastic fit and I like the bass-heavy audio profile but for the same price I'll take ANC and FindMy functionality over what they offer. :)

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
London heads.. how does the noise cancelation test against the loud tube tracks?

Oct 25, 2017
I love my AirPods so much. So disappointed in the soft tips on these.

(haven't tried them but I do not like soft tip buds)
You're disappointed that you can still buy the AirPods that you love? lol?

How can you be disappointed if you havent tried them as well?

Either way, thats the only way you can get true Noise Cancellation on these. It has to seal somehow.