• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
My wife's left AirPod Pro stopped working a couple days ago while the right one seems fine. I tried removing it from her iPhone and pairing it again by holding down the button on the case until it started flashing white but that didn't solve the problem as the right one would work, but the left one wouldn't. The UI doesn't even show up on her iPhone or iPad when you open the case either. The only time I ever see it is in the initial pairing. One thing I saw was if you hold down the button for a very long time, the flashing white will change to amber and it will do a full reset on them but it LED never would change to amber. I also checked inside the case to see if there was any obstruction on the charging contacts, but I don't see anything. My guess is it's dead and needs to be repaired. Does that sound correct?

On the repair front we started looking at setting up a Genius appointment but every Apple Store location isn't showing any appointments for the next 7 days it looks like and it says to check back tomorrow. Heck I'm not even sure they're open at all since the Bay Area is mostly shut down but I thought they were at least doing Genius appointments for repairs. They do show Best Buy locations as an option. I bought these for her right before Christmas in 2019 which means they're about 13 months old, or one month out of the normal one year warranty. I'm thinking I shouldn't go to Best Buy because they'll stick to that guideline where as from what I've heard in the past, Apple can be more lenient on this. Is that an accurate assessment?

Is there anything else I should know or advice on how to get these fixed? Is my best bet to wait until tomorrow to check for an appointment opening? If so, what time do they generally open up new appointments? Midnight PST, EST? Is there some other way to go about getting these fixed/replaced? I'm hoping Apple will just immediately replace the one with a new one or am I wrong on assuming this? Since she uses this for work calls, getting it replaced sooner would be nicer, but not if there's also a way to not have to pay for the repair if possible.

I've never had anything repaired by Apple before so I'm completely new to this experience. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I had some issues with mine when the left AirPod started to sound blown out, specifically when listening to podcasts mores than music (apparently its a widespread issue and they've extended the warranty for it https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/30...pair-recall-program-noise-cancellation-static ) went through the same thing in trying to do an in-person service request. No appts at any apple store anywhere (I assume they're closed still). I ended up doing it online and they shipped me out a new pair, put a hold on my card and I just had to make sure to send the old ones out as soon as the new ones arrived. Pretty painless process overall.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame all of the stores are closed, because normally it would literally be as simple as making an appointment and swapping out your pair for a new one for free. Due to the travel ban and overall dire situation in Cali, I don't know that they're letting in people at all. Try giving Best Buy a call and see if they can give you any answers. I'm assuming since they're a authorized Apple retailer, that should extend to repair policies too, especially if you purchased them in the last year(ish) it should be no questions asked. I accidentally washed my AirPods and they still replaced them free of charge lol.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The actual booking experience changes a lot based on where you live. My experience in Canada at many locations was that drop-in was possible at certain times of day, whereas in Singapore it's impossible and you must book via your iPhone (Apple) Support app. Given COVID I would at least try to book on the app as opposed to trying to drop by. Depending on how bad COVID is for your area, Apple may actually encourage you to do support over the phone and mail in for a replacement; I'm not sure what is the state of Apple Stores in California right now. (There *is* a schedule for opening new appointments that I think is weekly but I'm sure it varies heavily by store)

The actual process is scripted so that shouldn't really vary. You explain the problem, they run a check on the device and warranty, they take it away and usually come back in a half hour or so with next steps. The Airpods are not repairable so they are basically just going to check and see how bad it is and then replace the specific airpod (not the case, not the pair) unless both or the case itself are failing. The (very slightly) good news is that if they replace an AirPod you almost always get a new set of tips to go with it, the same one you found in the original packaging.

You're right that at 13 months you may be on the edge if someone is feeling nice, but honestly my experience the last five years is that the "edge" is more like a week, not a month. That being said, Airpods Pro are currently under a blanket replacement policy for problems with static, so you (might) get an exception under that. Hard to say, but you can't really bargain it. (Source: I've replaced my airpods individually 3 times now, although without a doubt I feel Apple SEA is less lenient than Apple NA)

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
You could always call Apple Support over the phone for troubleshooting. And if they need replacing (and you have AppleCare+), you can set up an express replacement over the phone, too.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
1. CALL them, don't chat, don't make a genius appointment

2. Explain all the troubleshooting you have already done. Read the apple support page first to make sure you didn't miss anything.

They will hopefully offer you an advance exchange. Meaning they send u a replacement right away, you send back the broken one after.

Source: I went thru this last summer

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Is there anything else I should know or advice on how to get these fixed? Is my best bet to wait until tomorrow to check for an appointment opening?

Airpods aren't designed to be fixed. They just get thrown away and replaced.

Since you're past the 1 year mark, you'll either need to go with the Apple route and see if they are lenient or file a claim with your CC for the extended warranty coverage (you did pay with a CC, right?) if Apple turns you down.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone; I wasn't aware of the issue. I told my wife about it and she said they had been static and crackling for a bit now but she never got around to telling me. So I guess even though one failed, she should still be covered since it sounds like the other one still does it.

I had some issues with mine when the left AirPod started to sound blown out, specifically when listening to podcasts mores than music (apparently its a widespread issue and they've extended the warranty for it https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/30...pair-recall-program-noise-cancellation-static ) went through the same thing in trying to do an in-person service request. No appts at any apple store anywhere (I assume they're closed still). I ended up doing it online and they shipped me out a new pair, put a hold on my card and I just had to make sure to send the old ones out as soon as the new ones arrived. Pretty painless process overall.

By doing it online, do you mean you did online chat to initiate it? I didn't see a simple repair request other than it taking you to contact someone. Just making sure I'm going down the right path.

1. CALL them, don't chat, don't make a genius appointment

I'm curious, why not go through the chat? I was just about to...

Airpods aren't designed to be fixed. They just get thrown away and replaced.

Since you're past the 1 year mark, you'll either need to go with the Apple route and see if they are lenient or file a claim with your CC for the extended warranty coverage (you did pay with a CC, right?) if Apple turns you down.

By fixed I didn't mean literally them opening it up and repairing the same unit; I just meant as in resolve the issue so she'd be back up and running. As for the CC, I was trying to avoid that for now and only resort as a last resort option because I figure the process would take longer. Going through Apple should be much quicker to get a resolution.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone; I wasn't aware of the issue. I told my wife about it and she said they had been static and crackling for a bit now but she never got around to telling me. So I guess even though one failed, she should still be covered since it sounds like the other one still does it.

By doing it online, do you mean you did online chat to initiate it? I didn't see a simple repair request other than it taking you to contact someone. Just making sure I'm going down the right path.

I'm curious, why not go through the chat? I was just about to...

By fixed I didn't mean literally them opening it up and repairing the same unit; I just meant as in resolve the issue so she'd be back up and running. As for the CC, I was trying to avoid that for now and only resort as a last resort option because I figure the process would take longer. Going through Apple should be much quicker to get a resolution.

yeah I believe I just initiated it through their chat and it took all of about 5 minutes. They ask for the serial number on the back of the case.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

I'm curious, why not go through the chat?

Unscientific evidence but chat doesn't convey urgency or seriousness like a phone call with a local support agent.

Anecdotally the last 3 issues my family had, chat disconnected, chat told me to phone them, or chat gave the ol' "just give it a couple of days to resolve itself".

Phone phone phone

This is the way

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I believe I just initiated it through their chat and it took all of about 5 minutes. They ask for the serial number on the back of the case.

Great! Much appreciated with all the help and bringing to my attention that there's an issue that they're extending the warranty as a result.

Unscientific evidence but chat doesn't convey urgency or seriousness like a phone call with a local support agent.

Anecdotally the last 3 issues my family had, chat disconnected, chat told me to phone them, or chat gave the ol' "just give it a couple of days to resolve itself".

Phone phone phone

This is the way

Eh, I'll just try chat first and see how it goes. It's much easier for me to work with online chat with kids around than have to make it a point to drop everything for a phone call. I can always call if the chat doesn't work out.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
There's an Apple Support app that she can sign into with her Apple ID that might expedite some of the process. Chat support is built in