• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So much for "the update will be ready in 10 days" and "the government shut-down is to blame"...
serves them right for putting the well-being of their shareholder before their passengers.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me. People say putting profits over safety, but how much are we actually talking about here? Coding to error check an easily damaged sensor against another sensor couldn't have been hard or expensive in the design phase. That just leaves us with ineptness and I'm not sure that's any better than profit making decisions

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Single sensor? FUCK ME. I thought it had two (which is also pretty shit because aircrafts generally have 3 or more redundancies so they can isolate errors like this)

Motherfucking parachutes have emergency chute, in case one fails.

Boeing, smh.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's crazy to me. People say putting profits over safety, but how much are we actually talking about here? Coding to error check an easily damaged sensor against another sensor couldn't have been hard or expensive in the design phase. That just leaves us with ineptness and I'm not sure that's any better than profit making decisions

Stay on target. Greed and lobbying led them to do their own saftey certification.

They knew there were issues. They just went with it anyway to amass orders and let people die that flew their plane. It should have been grounded after the fiest one and investigated..

Its not like this is a big deal to boeing. They make oodles on military contracts. This is just going out of their way to show how little they care about the saftey of their customers vs shareholder wallets.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the article:

The FAA has received at least 216 reports of AOA sensors failing or having to be repaired, replaced or adjusted since 2004, according to data from the FAA's Service Difficulty Reporting website.

Those reports, about one-fifth of which involve Boeing planes, include incidents in which AOA sensors were frozen, improperly installed, struck by lightning or even hit by flying birds. In some cases, faulty sensors led to stall warnings, forcing pilots to abort takeoffs or perform emergency landings.

216 refers to total AoA sensor issues reported on all airplanes from any manufacturer. Cited issues include all causes of problems including improper installation, bird strikes and lightning.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
From the article:

216 refers to total AoA sensor issues reported on all airplanes from any manufacturer. Cited issues include all causes of problems including improper installation, bird strikes and lightning.
Yup, that's why Airbus installs three of them on each of their planes. One can be ignored when it gets faulty. Curious why Boeing didn't do the same.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, that's why Airbus installs three of them on each of their planes. One can be ignored when it gets faulty. Curious why Boeing didn't do the same.

The issue with the way it's presented is 216 reported issues over all flight operations the last 15 years is a very small rate of failure. If it doesn't violate the failure tolerance for the relevant DAL rating I'm not sure what should have been done differently.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This plane has to be done now, hasn't it. Their failure to provide a fix in any timely manner just further highlights the systemic nature of the problem, namely that the design of the plane is structurally unsound. Even if they deliver a patch, I still wouldn't book a flight if it said 737MAX in the foreseeable future. If I want a static unstable plane I'll book a fighter jet thank you very much. Maybe the conman in chief was right and the only way to salvage this thing is to give it an unrecognizable name.

Last edited:

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

well... arguably because Airbus is European and Boeing is american. As far as I am aware, European "public" companies do not have feduciary requirements towards their shareholders, meaning they are not required by law to make decisions which would result in maximized profits. As such, they are more flexible to... you know, spend a few extra cent on making sure stuff doesn't kill people.

The issue with the way it's presented is 216 reported issues over all flight operations the last 15 years is a very small rate of failure. If it doesn't violate the failure tolerance for the relevant DAL rating I'm not sure what should have been done differently.

what should have been done differently about a sensor that was required for the plane to function that is known to fail sometimes...? really?
so I guess you're still defending that despicable corporation? got it.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well... arguably because Airbus is European and Boeing is american. As far as I am aware, European "public" companies do not have feduciary requirements towards their shareholders, meaning they are not required by law to make decisions which would result in maximized profits. As such, they are more flexible to... you know, spend a few extra cent on making sure stuff doesn't kill people.

what should have been done differently about a sensor that was required for the plane to function that is known to fail sometimes...? really?
so I guess you're still defending that despicable corporation? got it.

Uh...all planes rely on systems that fail "sometimes." The goal is knowing how often "sometimes" occurs and categorizing and dealing with it effectively. And "effectively" is also a probabilistic distribution.

Oct 27, 2017

My totally unsubstantiated guess is that the issue is that they don't devote much manpower to safety so this issue wasn't even caught.

Which would be worse because if no one did an analysis on how risky this sensor arrangement is, compared to the 4 sensor arrangement many aircraft, then probably there were another million design decisions that got glossed over and rubber stamped.

Either way, I would never trust a profit driven company to do their own safety certification.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The tolerance threshold should have been lower. That's what should have been done. If you are talking about policy and ratings the DAL rating, whatever it is, isn't good enough. Simple as that.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It only didn't do that because Boeing lied to the FAA about the amount of influence MCAS had on the plane's systems. But if you've read the articles published in the last few weeks on that matter, you already know that.

Oct 27, 2017
Uh...all planes rely on systems that fail "sometimes." The goal is knowing how often "sometimes" occurs and categorizing and dealing with it effectively. And "effectively" is also a probabilistic distribution.

You know how often it happens, more than 10 sensors will fail every year on average.

Now, what is the solution? Install the sole sensor and cross-fingers that it does not fail... or install 3 sensors and have the safeguard software automatically reject one sensor's data should it fail or send faulty data?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I mean, you are talking about a plane carrying human beings. Not a automated shopping cart which if you leave it on a platform, automatically returns to home base. The fuck were Boeing playing at.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tolerance threshold should have been lower. That's what should have been done. If you are talking about policy and ratings the DAL rating, whatever it is, isn't good enough. Simple as that.

Lower doesn't mean 0, and a failure rate of 0 is impossible. There are so many millions of flight hours that accidents will absolutely occur no matter what, especially when that failure is largely dependent on humans.

It only didn't do that because Boeing lied to the FAA about the amount of influence MCAS had on the plane's systems. But if you've read the articles published in the last few weeks on that matter, you already know that.

If there was lying, deception or fraud on the part of Boeing that will be substantiated by authorities and it's clear they will deserve all possible blame. Having dealt with aerospace certification I expect the story is more complicated than that and likely involved changes over time. We will know either way.

You know how often it happens, more than 10 sensors will fail every year on average.

Now, what is the solution? Install the sole sensor and cross-fingers that it does not fail... or install 3 sensors and have the safeguard software automatically reject one sensor's data should it fail or send faulty data?

Regulatory authorities and the pilots they had review the risks felt the probability was low enough and the pilots had sufficient tools to deal with it if it did occur.

And to be clear there are 2 AoA sensors already. The software is being updated to reject inputs when they disagree.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
And to be clear there are 2 AoA sensors already. The software is being updated to reject inputs when they disagree.
And you don't think there was any need for the software to be designed like that in the first place?

AoA sensors have failed before and will fail again. You think it's okay for a plane to override pilots commands and nose dive the plane into the ground relying on one AoA sensor during takeoff? And in the case of the first crash, not even informing the pilots that the plane could potentially do this and telling them it has identical characteristics to the previous model 737. I have no words, it is simply a recipe for disaster and I cannot understand why you would disagree.

Remembering that this is only one of the bad decisions Boeing made when it came to this aircraft. There are only two possible outcomes; Boeing engineers are inept or they prioritised profit over safety. There are literally no other reasons to explain this aircraft model.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Lower doesn't mean 0, and a failure rate of 0 is impossible. There are so many millions of flight hours that accidents will absolutely occur no matter what, especially when that failure is largely dependent on humans.
But I didn't mention 0. I know you're an engineer from previous discussions, I am as well. And I was a damn good one. Whatever threshold they have is not good enough. There is no getting around that fact. I don't care what it is, it's not low enough.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
But I didn't mention 0. I know you're an engineer from previous discussions, I am as well. And I was a damn good one. Whatever threshold they have is not good enough. There is no getting around that fact. I don't care what it is, it's not low enough.

I'm not defending Boeing but you are taking a weird stance here and throwing out being an engineer makes it even weirder.

If you were a damn good one, you would have done the math on an average of 14 failures a year on 15.8 million flights a year.

A failure rate of 0.0000088608% is something that will be seen as 0 for most tolerances

Last edited:

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Better quality control, testing and certification would delay when they could finish the plane, thus losing orders. Proper retraining of pilots to this new plane that does not behave like old 737:s would cost airlines and lead to Boeing losing orders. There's a strong case for greed being the reason for the 737 max crashes.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not defending Boeing but you are taking a weird stance here and throwing out being an engineer makes it even weirder.

If you were a damn good one, you would have done the math on an average of 14 failures a year on 15.8 million flights a year.

A failure rate of 0.0000088608% is something that will be seen as 0 for most tolerances
But this is based on a single sensor design, why is there no redundancy? And of course the threshold isn't low enough if it ended in two planes crashing without the specific model of plane being grounded previously. There can be arguments based on that, but I will be on the side that says the threshold isn't low enough.

I used to design n-2 substations, but why do you think hospitals have their own power generation even if they are being supplied via n-2 designed substations?

Edit: Also, you are literally defending Boeing by the way.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

14 failures a year on 15.8 million flights a year.
Enough to make the 737 Max 8 the unsafiest commercial plane at the point of its lifetime.

https://qz.com/1571820/deaths-on-the-boeing-737-max-8-vs-other-commercial-aircraft/

A rather high death count for a "0% failure rate"

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

I will also go back to your math here a bit. This is executive math, this is what a Boeing Executive would present to FAA based on a 3rd year associates powerpoint deck. 15.8 million toltal flights a year, 14 sensor failures....divide 14/15.8....hey look!!! Almost 0 percent failure, let's all pat each other on the back.

No.

The modeling has to be a whole lot more nuanced and critical than that.

14 failure on a critical sensor that takes control of the plane and pushes its nose down. Based on failure of a single contingency design of sensor,altitude and speed of plane, nose being pushed down, what is the amount of time required to assume control and stabilize the flight?

Then iterate this model for different speeds and altitudes.

Then re model using n-2, n-3, n-4 design contingency scenarios.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I will also go back to your math here a bit. This is executive math, this is what a Boeing Executive would present to FAA based on a 3rd year associates powerpoint deck. 15.8 million toltal flights a year, 14 sensor failures....divide 14/15.8....hey look!!! Almost 0 percent failure, let's all pat each other on the back.

No.

The modeling has to be a whole lot more nuanced and critical than that.

14 failure on a critical sensor that takes control of the plane and pushes its nose down. Based on failure of a single contingency design of sensor,altitude and speed of plane, nose being pushed down, what is the amount of time required to assume control and stabilize the flight?

Then iterate this model for different speeds and altitudes.

Then re model using n-2, n-3, n-4 design contingency scenarios.

It also doesn't somehow proof that the design of the flight control & sensors was flawless. The failure rate is just a result of the sensor being robust and study.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
Also nothing's gonna change, their stock price has stabilized now; no criminal charges will be applied under current US admin it seems

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This plane has to be done now, hasn't it. Their failure to provide a fix in any timely manner just further highlights the systemic nature of the problem, namely that the design of the plane is structurally unsound. Even if they deliver a patch, I still wouldn't book a flight if it said 737MAX in the foreseeable future. If I want a static unstable plane I'll book a fighter jet thank you very much. Maybe the conman in chief was right and the only way to salvage this thing is to give it an unrecognizable name.
Nope. By this time next year people will have forgotten about this whole thing.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017

Well, in automotive industry (which is far more tolerant than aircraft industry), you'd usually try for at the very least less than one critical error every million hour (I think even more, but I don't remember the exact number) for a system that overrides the driver; the goal for autonomous cars is one in a billion hours, though it's unlikely to ever be reached.
If you rely only on one sensor, and the sensor has an error every millionth flight (IIRC, average flight length is around 2 hours?), you're quite close to this minimum requirement. So the failure rate is very low, but not insignificant.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
But this is based on a single sensor design, why is there no redundancy? And of course the threshold isn't low enough if it ended in two planes crashing without the specific model of plane being grounded previously. There can be arguments based on that, but I will be on the side that says the threshold isn't low enough.

I used to design n-2 substations, but why do you think hospitals have their own power generation even if they are being supplied via n-2 designed substations?

Edit: Also, you are literally defending Boeing by the way.

Eh. I'm not arguing that something shouldn't have been done with a sensor that can take over a plane control system, especially with redundancy already there just not used in SW. It's a dumb design decision with an "easy" fix. Anything that had a failure, however low it is that would result in loss of control should be redundant. I'm just being a pendantic ass.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Whenever it adds a new airplane to a type certificate, the FAA lists where that airplane does or does not differ from other models in the same type. In the case of the 737 Max, the FAA's list extends to 30 pages, reviewing everything from engine noise to de-icing systems, aluminum fatigue to security doors.

Yet this document dedicated to minutiae does not mention MCAS once — not by name, not by description — which is kind of astonishing when you consider that even the seat belts get a mention.

The FAA overlooked MCAS in other places, too.

As part of its certification review, the FAA assigns a "failure condition" to each system, which is basically a guess as to what would happen if that system were to break. The lowest-severity systems should only cause "some inconvenience" to passengers, while the more serious "hazardous" and "catastrophic" failure conditions can endanger the aircraft and its passengers. The more severe the failure condition, the more redundancies that system is supposed to have.

At least, that's the theory. MCAS received a "hazardous failure" designation. This meant that, in the FAA's judgment, any kind of MCAS malfunction would result in, at worst, "a large reduction in safety margins" or "serious or fatal injury to a relatively small number of the occupants." Such systems, therefore, need at least two levels of redundancy, with a chance of failure less than 1 in 10 million.

MCAS, however, does not meet any of these standards.

It has no redundancy: it takes input from just one AoA sensor at a time. That makes MCAS completely unable to cope with a sensor malfunction. It can't "sanity check" its data against a second sensor or switch to a backup if the original source fails. It just believes whatever data it's given, even if that data is bad, which is what happened on Lion Air flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines flight 302.

It gets worse: over the last five years, 50 flights on US commercial airplanes experienced AoA sensor issues, or about one failure for every 1.7 million commercial flight-hours. Sure, that's a low rate, but it's still nearly six times above what the FAA allows for "hazardous" systems: they're only supposed to fail once every 10 million flight-hours.

Worse still: the FAA did not catch the fact that the version of MCAS actually installed on the 737 Max was much more powerful than the version described in the design specifications. On paper, MCAS was only supposed to move the horizontal stabilizer 0.6 degrees at a time. In reality, it could move the stabilizer as much as 2.5 degrees at a time, making it significantly more powerful when forcing the nose of the airplane down.

"Although officials were aware of the changes," The New York Times reported, "none were fully examined by the FAA."

So had anyone checked, they might have flagged MCAS for one of several reasons, including its lack of redundancy, its unacceptably high risk of failure, or its significant increase in power to the point that it was no longer just a "hazardous failure" kind of system.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/2/18518176/boeing-737-max-crash-problems-human-error-mcas-faa

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
... and somehow people are still defending this despicable company, even here.
Well at least it might finally put a huge damper on US efforts to force acceptance of US certifications on other countries. Given how agencies like the FAA seem to be more about defending company profits than guaranteeing passenger security, certification bodies in other areas might be similarly corrupt. Given the US commercial history over the last ~40 years, I don't see things to change, hence I hope that other countries will stop accepting US certified goods no questions asked. Profits over people certainly should not be rewarded with more sales.

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
somewhat of an update:

Looks like the FAA wants to get these planes back in the air, but Easa refuses to accept further FAA certification and issued three demands:
1) design changes must first be approved by the Easa
2) an independent body must test the planes for airworthiness
3) the crew must undergo Max-specfic re-training

https://derstandard.at/2000103645226/Europaeer-bremsen-bei-Neuzulassung-von-Ungluecks-Boeing

in short... don't bank on the US to regulate its own industries - ever.

Oct 27, 2017
somewhat of an update:

Looks like the FAA wants to get these planes back in the air, but Easa refuses to accept further FAA certification and issued three demands:
1) design changes must first be approved by the Easa
2) an independent body must test the planes for airworthiness
3) the crew must undergo Max-specfic re-training

https://derstandard.at/2000103645226/Europaeer-bremsen-bei-Neuzulassung-von-Ungluecks-Boeing

in short... don't bank on the US to regulate its own industries - ever.
And another example of how the US is falling apart because of un-checked, crony capitalism. I'm glad that the EU is putting people and safety before profit.