• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is reclining your seat in economy class-knowing it causes discomfort to the person behind you- rude?

• Yes. It’s rude.

Votes: 261 63.7%
  • No, it’s not rude. Fuck their discomfort. I pAiD fOR tHiS fEaTUrE

Votes: 149 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
God I miss the time before social media where this would happen and she would tell her family and friends about this and he would tell his family and friends about this and that would be it....

Oct 28, 2017
So many petty people in here willing to go to so many lengths to inconvenience the person behind them just for reclining and then acting like that person is the asshole that deserves it. When you're intentionally blowing cold air on the person, you're the one in the wrong.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
So many petty people in here willing to go to so many lengths to inconvenience the person behind them just for reclining and then acting like that person is the asshole that deserves it. When you're intentionally blowing cold air on the person, you're the one in the wrong.
Air conditioning is a feature I paid for though, right? :)

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I always recline, staying upright really hurts my back. This is also why I won't get a basic economy seat and always pick my seat in advance. It can be annoying to have someone recline when you can't but seriously his behavior was so childish.

Jun 8, 2019
I don't know why so many people decided that I should be miserable on my flights, and disallowed from using the seat's basic functionality, let alone how anyone can be oblivious enough to have that attitude and yet cast themselves as the heroes in the story.

6 ft. 2 in. here. Having the person in front of you recline doesn't even rise to being a mild inconvenience. Being forced to sit in the seat's natural pitch for the entirely of the flight though? Awful.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
At 6'8" I'm crushed no matter what and somebody reclining on me doesn't make a substantial difference to my discomfort and pain. A lot of times they can't recline anyway since there's just no space. Really exit row or bust for me. Take some ibuprofen and deal. I also never recline because it doesn't make a difference.
Nothing is a bigger show of character than how one deals with a small inconvenience.

This guy has issues, Jesus Christ

Yup. If that's how he responds in everyday life, I feel bad for the people who have to put up with him.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans to Charlotte is like 1.5 hour flight? She's def in the wrong to recline fully on a short flight.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I would much rather have the back seat with a person reclining in front of me but no one behind than have to deal with people messing with the seat and touchscreen behind me

Oct 28, 2017
Air conditioning is a feature I paid for though, right? :)
See, this is a real asshole thing to say and do because you're literally doing it purely to harm somebody. Somebody leaning back is genuinely just trying to get more comfortable. And many times, the person behind is not even really affected by it. Pointing your AC at them has nothing to do with your comfort.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
See, this is a real asshole thing to say and do because you're literally doing it purely to harm somebody. Somebody leaning back is genuinely just trying to get more comfortable. And many times, the person behind is not even really affected by it. Pointing your AC at them has nothing to do with your comfort.
If someone trapped in the back in the cabin has expressed discomfort in your recline (granted, this guy shouldn't have resulted to hitting the chair. I hope he used his words prior to recording), the recliner becomes the asshole for ignoring or disregarding their discomfort in favor of your increased comfort.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Just to be clear, this is the grueling invasion of space that some people in this thread approve of being worth harrassment, especially since it's "during mealtime."

309ID2.jpg

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong, but everyone knows how little space there is, and the woman knew that the row behind her couldn't even recline. She was the first to say "fuck solidarity" by reclining.

You're not wrong, but still... we just fall upon each other in our frustration.

There is a bit of grace and merit, that enhances solidarity, in that old religious lesson of "turning the other cheek."
Just because those old Bible fairy tales seem as much Aesop as anything else these days, doesn't mean they still don't contain encoded lessons in humanity and getting along somehow.

But no, seat punching and phone filing for public shaming. I can imagine an American Airlines shareholder literally amusing themselves at the footage over a snifter of brandy or something. ;P

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Airline Consultant: Why don't we reduce seat pitch so much that the slightest recline causes people extreme discomfort but our profits will go up markedly?

Airline: But it may create fights on the plane.

Airline Consultant: Ah but we can set it up so people blame each other instead of the airline.

Airline: Genius. Ship it. But I'd like to note my concern that the public will see right through it.

Public: GARGLEFLARGELRAAAHRRRRGGGRAAAAHHHRRRR PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH

BTW I fly almost every week. I'm almost at a million miles flown. I'm not tall, about 5'10" average weight. I have been in the worst seats on the worst airlines. Often for between five to twelve hours. Personally speaking, I'm barely ever bothered by someone reclining in economy, even if I'm in a seat that can't recline.

People kicking or bumping from behind is much worse. People encroaching LATERALLY into your space is vastly worse. I still find the fact that a morbidly obese person (requiring a lap belt extension should be a trigger) is allowed to sit in a seat they don't safely fit in to be a massive inconvenience for their seatmate - a potentially dangerous hazard in the event of an evacuation and an embarrassing public humiliation that they certainly don't enjoy - to be a crazy unsafe and mean spirited thing to do. The right compromise solution would be to discount the second seat. But they already eliminated discounts for kids decades ago so it's a nonstarter. But there should at a minimum be enforcement of the rules that exist. I do feel like shit that this is financially ruinous, but aside from the discomfort, it's literally not safe. I also see physically incapable people in exit rows all the time - kids, very elderly, etc. I get it. Attendants don't want to cause a scene and just want to take off and get there, but people have burned to death in otherwise survivable accidents.

I understand some people are more affected because they're bigger.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON "EMOTIONAL ASSISTANCE ANIMALS" - as opposed to medically necessary trained animal companions. Someone already had their face mauled off because someone I suspect is a liar didn't want to pay for cargo stowage for his giant ass Rottweiler mix (I believe he claimed it was like, a lab/cherub mix)- and doctors need to be prosecuted for giving lazy or selfish pet owner carte blanche to ruin a flight. If you have a properly diagnosed condition and a trained, appropriate animal (not a goddamned peacock) then have at it. I'm your ally. Including psychological assistance. I've seen some INSANE arguments at the check in desk - once on a trip to Palm Springs, there were something like twenty pets in the waiting area and several owners arguing at the ticket desk - there's a strict and small limit on pets in the cabin - but the exception for real and fake assistance animals overrides it - but lots of owners show up without having filled out the paperwork and assuming all they need is the vest. In this case, they ALL got on. It was bedlam. Eventually (probably already) someone with a seeing eye dog or a much more vital trained companion, is going to get screwed by those people.

I won't be the only person in this thread who knows more than one acquaintance who takes advantage of this lax horseshit. I've given one friend an earful because her dog has already bitten two people. It has actually tried to bite me before because it's psycho. She's lucky it hasn't been put down and she KEEPS TRAVELING with it. She has no condition whatsoever and told everyone she just asked her doc to write a note.

FACT: People toot out silent rancid cruelty all the time, but the most common source of nose-violence is attendants cropdusting, and then leaving the passengers to glare at each other accusingly, their eyes watering angrily in the caustic colostomy cough.

FACT: The person who uses the bathroom before you is an escaped murderer who specialized in padded cell dirty protests and had five boiled egg kebabs and a gallon of Mr. Pibb for breakfast. Or an elderly man whose aging toilet parts have corroded into a rainshower head over the centuries.

FACT: If you try to get a better seat or upgrade or anything at all at the ticket desk, there's a USB orientation 50%* chance that you will interrupt an angry embittered thirty year employee who hates passengers more than anythinng on earth, regardless of how nice they are. If you encounter the Blue Meanie, then stop asking immediately, apologize and go a few counters down and ask another. Keep trying till you find the nice one. Her name is Lita. She is in a good mood because she's got a three day deadhead to Maui and her college GF is meeting her there.

FACT: Pilots who do jokes over the announcement system are functioning alcoholics who're only ever one tiny Gin bottle from mistaking a snow capped mountain for a cloud.

* 100%

/rant

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
how about you buy me that ticket, I aint got that fucking kind of money

amazing how fucking inconsiderate recliners are, fuck you got mine right
lmao bless your heart

I'm not someone who flys often for work or anything, but I've had my share of flights over the years, including maybe a dozen cross-country flights. I've literally never seen anyone get mad at someone in front of them reclining their seat. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. It goes back, like, what, 5 inches? It's weird to me that this is even an issue.

This is Reset. I'm convinced half the people here haven't been on an airplane in the past year and think that airplane seats recline like car seats.

My husband and I fly five to six times a year. Economy. He is not a small person, putting it mildly. It's not such a huge issue, but I hope American airlines take out the reclining seat feature if people really have such a huge problem with it.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He was being a child. I do think that putting you seat back is annoying, so I personally don't do it, but it's built in for a reason so it's ultimately fine. No reason to go around punching the back of people's heads.

Oct 28, 2017
If someone trapped in the back in the cabin has expressed discomfort in your recline (granted, this guy shouldn't have resulted to hitting the chair. I hope he used his words prior to recording), you become the asshole for ignoring or disregarding their discomfort in favor of your increased comfort.
Okay, but I'm not giving him that benefit of the doubt.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If you are over 6 foot when someone reclines they will likely smash into your knees. I did a transatlantic flight where a short person in front of me reclined so that they could put their feet up on the back of the seat in front of them. This made my flight a right ol' pain in the knees.
I'm 6'1" and I very rarely fly economy for this exact reason. My knees are already wedged against the seat in front of me, and if that person reclines, I have to either spread my knees out (annoying the person next to me) or stick my feet into the aisles and risk tripping people up.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video, and thread in general, illustrates just one of the myriad reasons I never fly.
Lol, don't be scared by all the sociopaths in this thread and in the video. Situations like this are super avoidable. All the man had to do was asking her to put it back up or notify the flight attendant who was on his side.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are wrong and it's a situation where fucking opening your mouth and TALK could've made both parties OK with it.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why so many people decided that I should be miserable on my flights, and disallowed from using the seat's basic functionality, let alone how anyone can be oblivious enough to have that attitude and yet cast themselves as the heroes in the story.

6 ft. 2 in. here. Having the person in front of you recline doesn't even rise to being a mild inconvenience. Being forced to sit in the seat's natural pitch for the entirely of the flight though? Awful.
Yeah I really don't understand the anger at the recline.
The seats recline. I'm 6 ft, and someone reclines the two inches the seat shifts, meh.

bizarre.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Airline Consultant: Why don't we reduce seat pitch so much that the slightest recline causes people extreme discomfort but our profits will go up markedly?

Airline: But it may create fights on the plane.

Airline Consultant: Ah but we can set it up so people blame each other instead of the airline.

Airline: Genius. Ship it. But I'd like to note my concern that the public will see right through it.

Public: GARGLEFLARGELRAAAHRRRRGGGRAAAAHHHRRRR PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH
Lmao it is exactly this. Also the number of people in this thread who think it's okay to become physically aggressive towards someone over a mild annoyance is......... scary.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Pro-tip, having a reclining seat does not dispel the discomfort from the person in front reclining into your knees. Your bones do not magically get shorter when you recline.

Oct 28, 2017
Just to be clear, this is the grueling invasion of space that some people in this thread approve of being worth harrassment, especially since it's "during mealtime."

309ID2.jpg
Right? I assume he's annoyed at having to look down as his phone more. But it doesn't take much effort to find something to prop the phone at an angle. That's what I do.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Lol, don't be scared by all the sociopaths in this thread and in the video. Situations like this are super avoidable. All the man had to do was asking her to put it back up or notify the stewardess who was on his side.

I was only being semi-serious, but I am 6'8", so flying is never comfortable and the video was really irritating from both perspectives.

Oct 27, 2017
Airline has the internet yelling at each other over who's right instead of banding together to demand less shitty plane accommodations - brilliant.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's being a child but fuck people who recline their seats, there's already not enough space in those planes and buses, why should you get more space and remove my available space in the process?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the words with these two? He could just ask her to please fix seat and she could also speak up and ask him to not "punch" her seat

As a woman there is no fucking way I would expect anything good to come out of using "words" with someone acting out with physical punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.