• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he broke the chain of command.

you don't get to captain an aircraft carrier and leak a letter like that to the press. He likely knew this would be the result when he did it. That may be courageous and honorable and the right thing to do. But there's no way he could remain in command after this.

We're going to need a lot more ethically courageous people like him to blow the fucking whistle on everything this corrupt and immoral administration is doing right now. Over and over until Trump is removed permanently.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
We're going to need a lot more ethically courageous people like him to blow the fucking whistle on everything this corrupt and immoral administration is doing right now. Over and over until Trump is removed permanently.

this has nothing to do with the administration.

if you are entrusted with an aircraft carrier, you don't get to break that trust with command. Once you do, they aren't going to trust you with an aircraft carrier anymore.

It's really cut and dry. He likely knew this would happen when he did it.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

if you are entrusted with an aircraft carrier, you don't get to break that trust with command. Once you do, they aren't going to trust you with an aircraft carrier anymore.

As soon as it was leaked, everybody knew his days were numbered.

Oct 27, 2017

But he didn't send the letter to the press, someone he sent it to did.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
But he didn't send the letter to the press, someone he sent it to did.

then he sent it outside the chain of command which is the same thing.

aircraft carriers and carrier groups are among the US's most important strategic assets. That information is guarded carefully and he failed to guard it.

This is simple in military terms.

Oct 27, 2017
then he sent it outside the chain of command which is the same thing.

aircraft carriers and carrier groups are among the US's most important strategic assets. That information is guarded carefully and he failed to guard it.

This is simple in military terms.
of an aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine? You're damn right it would. He allowed information about the readiness of one of America's most important strategic assets get leaked to the press.

That's it. Game Over. Thanks for playing.

My understanding is that it was only sent within the navy. Regardless, it was the morally correct thing to do, even with the consequences. It was made clear to him that no action was going to be taken to reduce harm to the crew.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
My understanding is that it was only sent within the navy.

it doesn't matter. he e-mailed it to somewhere between 20-30 people, who then have this information and can forward / send it on to whoever.

There is a rear admiral aboard his ship who is responsible for the carrier group, and who is his commanding officer, who he didn't go to with this before blasting it out wide.

He wasn't wrong, but how he went about it was, and created a real problem. The damning thing is, when he sent it, the Navy was already working to get those folks off the ship and find hotel rooms in Guam for them. They don't have endless billeting there.

He displayed really bad judgement, and you don't get to do that in his position.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
of an aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine? You're damn right it would. He allowed information about the readiness of one of America's most important strategic assets get leaked to the press.

That's it. Game Over. Thanks for playing.
When you have an incompetent chain of command that is dangerously putting people into harm and putting America's readiness in harm then yes he was a whistleblower within the navy. He absolutely doesn't deserve to be fired but his superiors do

Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't matter. he e-mailed it to somewhere between 20-30 people, who then have this information and can forward / send it on to whoever.

There is a rear admiral aboard his ship who is responsible for the carrier group, and who is his commanding officer, who he didn't go to with this before blasting it out wide.

He wasn't wrong, but how he went about it was, and created a real problem. The damning thing is, when he sent it, the Navy was already working to get those folks off the ship and find hotel rooms in Guam for them. They don't have endless billeting there.

He displayed really bad judgement, and you don't get to do that in his position.

My understanding is that he reported this properly and nothing was done, which is why he sent the letter to others in the navy.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
My understanding is that he reported this properly and nothing was done, which is why he sent the letter to others in the navy.

That's not what the Navy said today. And regardless, his actions led to the information leaking. It's super cut and dry.

abcnews.go.com

Navy fires captain of aircraft carrier over leak of letter to leadership

The captain of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt has been relieved of duty over the leak of his letter.

Moving 2700 sailors into quarantine on Guam isn't something you can just snap your fingers at, either.

And if you don't think that command isn't taking the readiness state of one of their aircraft carrier groups seriously, then you have a lot of reading to do.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Damn I just saw that news. Here's that guy I posted before's thoughts as a veteran, if anyone is interested in that perspective:

EDIT: Not posting this as "this veteran says it this must be the truth", just feel like his opinion is worth considering:
screenshot_20200402-25njjp.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The thing that stands out the most about that post is "the damn if you do and damned if you don't situation". Look at the McCain and the fitgerald as examples of this.
I imagine it's very tough. You have your crew to worry about, as well as the politicians wanting to save face AS WELL AS the sensitive strategic information which has been discussed in this thread. I don't envy anyone in the position he was in.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
That'll teach him not to be courageous, honorable or to do the right thing. We don't value those kinda things round here.

he very likely knew what he was doing. He can be applauded for that if you like, and call him a hero.

But he can no longer be the commanding officer of a naval warship

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what the Navy said today. And regardless, his actions led to the information leaking. It's super cut and dry.

abcnews.go.com

The captain of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt has been relieved of duty over the leak of his letter.

Moving 2700 sailors into quarantine on Guam isn't something you can just snap your fingers at, either.

And if you don't think that command isn't taking the readiness state of one of their aircraft carrier groups seriously, then you have a lot of reading to do.
Let me get this straight. You actually believe that he didn't try the normal process to get the navy to do something? I mean come on.... Literally the only reason the actually did something was because of his letter

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Let me get this straight. You actually believe that he didn't try the normal process to get the navy to do something? I mean come on.... Literally the only reason the actually did something was because of his letter

According to the Navy, that isn't true. They were already working on the logistics - you have to balance the needs of Guam, of the 7th Fleet and of the ship. Further you have to have time make accommodations to quarantine that many sailors. Guam only has like 9000 hotel rooms total, and while I'm sure they are fairly empty, the coordination to make this happen takes time.

But let's assume you're right, and he was doing this because he wasn't getting answers he wanted. He violated OPSEC and sent SECRET information on non-classified e-mail, which was promptly leaked.

And even if his cause was worthy, just and noble, even if you think he did the right thing for his crew and is a hero -- those violations mean he cannot be left in charge of an aircraft carrier.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Tangentially related, but I have been thinking about what it might feel like to be on the ISS right now. Or trying to plan missions in this environment...

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

abcnews.go.com

This is the same Navy that had two ships crash within months of each other due to navigational errors caused by overwork. I'm not trusting their judgement.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
According to the Navy, that isn't true. They were already working on the logistics - you have to balance the needs of Guam, of the 7th Fleet and of the ship. Further you have to have time make accommodations to quarantine that many sailors. Guam only has like 9000 hotel rooms total, and while I'm sure they are fairly empty, the coordination to make this happen takes time.

But let's assume you're right, and he was doing this because he wasn't getting answers he wanted. He violated OPSEC and sent SECRET information on non-classified e-mail, which was promptly leaked.

And even if his cause was worthy, just and noble, even if you think he did the right thing for his crew and is a hero -- those violations mean he cannot be left in charge of an aircraft carrier.
I wonder how his crew feels about all this.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine giving the benefit of the doubt to any of these fuckers.

Glad the boot lickers have weighed in.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
With the current administration, it's very likely they would rather save face than their soldiers. With that high number of already confirmed cases, I bet the captain has reported several times without seeing any reaction by the higher ups.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The sailors of the Navy(not the top brass) seem to be overwhelmingly on this Captain's side, have seen many of my former shipmates post in support of him, many Navy meme social media pages(and even NavyBMR) clearly support him over Big Navy, and there are a few different petitions circulating. So even though it was inevitable, it still makes the Navy look really bad.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

He more than likely weighed the consequences of his actions and chose that given the circumstances and from what he could see in his position, it was worth falling on the sword to sound the alarm.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'm a former Army officer, a USMA grad, and fuck all this lawful evil bullshitting about the chain of command when the guy at the top of it is both a blistering moron and a pardoner of war criminals. Capt. Crozier's situational awareness led him to make the right call, in my opinion. The people deserve to know that Trump's stupidity is so severe that it affects military readiness.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, pretty much all this.