• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
As you can see on the video below, Xiami has developed a technology they call AirCharge and it consist of a base station with a phase control array, composed of 144 antennas that transmits millimeter-wide waves directly to the phone through beamforming. Xiaomi says they can charge multiple devices at 5W within a range of "several meters". You can imagine how this is useful for speakers, controllers or lamps, as well as portable consoles and wireless VR headsets.

Es3dad2VgAMp8jA

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
New technology sure is incredible, but scary at the same time. How can this thing work without giving me cancer or setting my house on fire?

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
If you stay within the charging area as it's firing out the waves, will you become Super Saiyan 4?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I'm assuming it's an extremely inefficient way of charging something.

It doesn't have to be efficient when everything in its range is constantly changing.

I need a scientist to explain me how this is harmless though. Maybe it's irrational but I wouldn't feel comfortable near one

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It doesn't have to be efficient when everything in its range is constantly changing.

I need a scientist to explain me how this is harmless though. Maybe it's irrational but I wouldn't feel comfortable near one

Not really a question of harm for me so much as, "how much energy are you wasting by beaming electricity in all directions all the time." Which is to say, a lot I bet.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Not really a question of harm for me so much as, "how much energy are you wasting by beaming electricity in all directions all the time." Which is to say, a lot I bet.

We need to take into account this is still a prototype and we have little information on the efficiency it has. You can imagine how something like this could be used for the controls as well. It would be good to see how bad for the environment are the millions of batteries that Xbox and Oculus Quest controllers use every year and compare that to the level of efficiency this type of device has, once it comes out.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
We need to take into account this is still a prototype and we have little information on the efficiency it has. You can imagine how something like this could be used for the controls as well. It would be good to see how bad for the environment are the millions of batteries that Xbox and Oculus Quest controllers use every year and compare that to the level of efficiency this type of device has, once it comes out.
It is an unknown, and there are costs and benefits to any system, but I have doubts that wireless power will be the right move until it either sees leaps and bounds in energy efficiency, or we've moved to a power generating source that's cheap and environmentally sound. Neither of which seem likely in the short term.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There's just no genre representation for my favorite types of games (strategy, management, hyper-indies, etc.).

No customization & mods is a pretty big deal to.

All good either way. Both audiences have fine choices available depending on one's tastes.

Feels like this is in the wrong thread ;)

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It is an unknown, and there are costs and benefits to any system, but I have doubts that wireless power will be the right move until it either sees leaps and bounds in energy efficiency, or we've moved to a power generating source that's cheap and environmentally sound. Neither of which seem likely in the short term.

We just have to wait and see, but what we already know is that renewable energy is becoming more popular every year, as that happens, the pressure gets lower on devices that are less energy efficient, but are better for the environment on other factors. We also know that disposable batteries are not good for the environment at all. Air charging will probably be very expensive at first, but as it usually happens with technology, it will get smaller and more efficient with time.

8_RE-power-additions-1024x679.png

www.ren21.net

Why is renewable energy important? - REN21

Renewable energy is good for the planet and for people, but what is it exactly? Find out more in this REN21 article.

"When taken to landfills, most batteries release harmful metals such as mercury, lead and cadmium into the environment causing soil contamination and water pollution. The incineration of batteries can also cause air pollution. Battery waste can endanger wildlife and is potentially hazardous to humans."

sciencing.com

Environmental Problems That Batteries Cause

The increasing global demand for batteries is largely due to the rapid increase in portable power-consuming products such as cellular phones and video cameras, toys and laptop computers. Each year consumers dispose of billions of batteries, all containing toxic or corrosive materials.