• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of dinners in south beach that Say "we also speak English'

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
absolute trash people and bad decision by the judge. atleast sentence the company to pay charity.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Really? France is notoriously pushy about its language, including quotas about how many French songs must be played on the radio. And rent seeking lawsuits over technicalities aren't foreign to Europe either.
True, but Québec is notoriously more pushy in that regard, the most common example being that they translate every non-French movie title (eg. "Endgame", became "Phase Finale" in Québec while it kept its English name in other French-speaking countries)

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
True, but Québec is notoriously worse in that regard, the most common example being that they translate every non-French movie title (eg. "Endgame", became "Phase Finale" in Québec while it kept its English name in other French-speaking countries)

Ok, but what's the problem with this? Why is this a bad thing exactly?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Why not go the US route and not declare an official language. Saves everyone from headaches.

Something tells me the current climate in the USA doesn't point to there being no headaches. And of course, let's see how easy it would be to get help from the government if you go talk to them in Spanish instead of English.

And that this can be done is for me as a Eurpean mindblowing.

Strange considering there are quite a bit of European countries that have strict laws around language and the usage thereof.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I didn't mean it as a bad thing, it's just that indeed, the way people act regarding their language is different in Canada vs in Europe and that it makes sense for a European to find this "mindblowing". In France, people care less about stopping English words from being used. I edited my post to make it sound less negative

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Linguistic discrimination is a thing, even for speakers of a country's official languages. So I agree with them. If French has equal standing to English in Canada, that should be reflected everywhere.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of laws that wouldn't have full enforcement if it weren't for people bringing civil action. Hate the game not the player.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

While it generally does not have an effect on huge corporation films, movies and games, it can mean we in Quebec miss out on things like video game collector editions and other things because a company does not want to translate the packaging, for instance.

It also means we run into really weird cases of loopholes, since our language police try to get smaller companies and business to change their names or part of their services while big monoliths such as Best Buy can just straight up ignore them, since they create so many jobs in the region that they would just threaten to leave if the language police ever threaten them.

The illusion of protecting the language is more important to the language police than actually protecting the language. Quebec runs into these problems a lot, where they whine that they are suppressed minority within greater Canada while suppressing their own minorities that live in Quebec. See the religious symbol ban and many other examples of xenophobia across the province. The province also has issues like the historical suppression of English to the point of driving them out of the province by closing their schools and a lot of other things.

My own personal opinion is that we should be encouraging the use of French in Quebec, and there is nothing wrong with that. But removing services that used to be multilingual and making them only French and policing language just supresses minorities and pisses people off.

Getting back on the main point: Not being able to get something I want in Quebec causes Quebec businesses to lose money since in the modern era I just order it from Amazon, Best Buy or drive to Ontario to get it. So Quebec accomplishes nothing except shooting itself in the foot through some of these rules.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are the couple getting paid? I can understand a fine and requirement to fix the situation by Air Canada as it's a massive oversight especially as it's been reported more than once by the same couple.

ps3ud0 8)

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the couple getting paid? I can understand a fine and requirement to fix the situation by Air Canada as it's a massive oversight especially as it's been reported more than once by the same couple.

ps3ud0 8)

Probably because that's the way the law is written. Instead of the government having to do inspections to enforce the law, they rely on citizens bringing civil action to enforce the law. The monetary penalty is a deterrent to businesses and a reward for citizen enforcement.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
User warned: inflammatory generalization
That is so very petty and very on brand for a francophone. Still, Air Canada should know better. The seatbelt thing I can understand because the plane could have been manufactured in the USA, but signage...

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I recognize Michel Thibodeau from the last time he sued Air Canada in 2011. He's been doing this for years.

What kind of nut sends someone death threats over their language equality suits? If it's taking this man's lawsuits to get things as basic as french language announcements on buses in Ottawa to happen, I don't see a single problem with what he's doing.

As a former Crown corporation, the airline must, as a condition of its 1988 sale, conduct a language survey every 10 years and make French services mandatory at airports and on flights where there is at least a five per cent demand. According to the court, the company has repeatedly failed throughout the years to provide adequate services in French

This is from 2011, so penalty should have been even higher this time by quite a bit. It appears that they haven't learned a single thing from this last suit.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
No, you should listen to the safety procedures. These engravings were probably signed by CAR (Canadian Aviation Regulations) as deemed airworthy, so no. These idiots should pay 15k for their fetish of semi-nationalism. English is THE language for aviation (at least in Europe and NA, SA, parts of Asia, don't know about Africa), even in Europe, you must know imperial units, which are the units of aviation.. Take your bullshit elsewhere and fly United next time or take a bus and boat. If your desire for French is that high or you are as dumb that you don't know how to disengage the lock on seat belt, go to France.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The airline also argued it was the manufacturer's decision to engrave "lift" on the seatbelts, the use of which, Air Canada's defense pointed out, is explained in a bilingual video.
Couple are complete clowns. Even if you think all of their complaints are valid, the fact that they should personally be compensated for it is dumb.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
No, you should listen to the safety procedures. These engravings were probably signed by CAR (Canadian Aviation Regulations) as deemed airworthy, so no. These idiots should pay 15k for their fetish of semi-nationalism. English is THE language for aviation (at least in Europe and NA, SA, parts of Asia, don't know about Africa), even in Europe, you must know imperial units, which are the units of aviation.. Take your bullshit elsewhere and fly United next time or take a bus and boat. If your desire for French is that high or you are as dumb that you don't know how to disengage the lock on seat belt, go to France.

Yeah, except Air Canada are required by law to do what they keep getting sued (and losing) for not doing. It's a legal requirement as part of the conditions that allowed the airliner to go from being a crown corporation to a private sector company. If they're too stupid to abide by their legal requirements, they deserve being sued and losing again and again. Maybe this time they would learn and we won't be seeing a headline of how they've lost yet another lawsuit over the same thing.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Yeah, except Air Canada are required by law to do what they keep getting sued (and losing) for not doing. It's a legal requirement as part of the conditions that allowed the airliner to go from being a crown corporation to a private sector company. If they're too stupid to abide by their legal requirements, they deserve being sued and losing again and again. Maybe this time they would learn and we won't be seeing a headline of how they've lost yet another lawsuit over the same thing.
That the Air Canada should pay, did not know that, thanks! : )

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
According to some here, since most things sold here are made in China, everything should be written in Chinese.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eliminating languages eliminates cultures.

it doesn't eliminate a culture altogether but perhaps makes it less rich.

still, the trade off might be worth it. personally, i'd be for a single language world, or at least one with a lingua franca where other languages are learned more for leisure than necessity.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fine the airline every x period until they change it, just do something else with the money. I don't think a couple should be personally compensated for this.

Who do you pay to do the inspections and enforcement of all media materials covered by the law? Have the offending company self report? You are skipping right to the penalty phase.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I wonder if he has an English counterpart in Quebec.
I dont think the laws work vice versa for english in Quebec. Have heard alot of horror stories of non french people not being able to register or apply for any government services because documents and customer service are only offered in french.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Fine the airline every x period until they change it, just do something else with the money. I don't think a couple should be personally compensated for this.
You don't think a couple should have their time and legal fees paid for, for paying out of pocket asking that the national airline follow national law?

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
My own personal opinion is that we should be encouraging the use of French in Quebec, and there is nothing wrong with that. But removing services that used to be multilingual and making them only French and policing language just supresses minorities and pisses people off.

Oh I agree with that. French should 100% be protected, but sometimes the implementation is a bit lacking in some cases, especially when it's done at the expense of non-Anglo communities.

That said, translating movie titles into French is at the expense of nothing. I was asking about that specifically. Era is pretty not progressive sometimes when it comes to French issues in canada, so I just wanted clarity.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no agency or other government authority these things can be reported to?

You're now pulling an agency out of thin air for inspections and enforcement. How many staff do you assign to this task? How much money does the agency budget for inspections and enforcement of this one law?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't eliminate a culture altogether but perhaps makes it less rich.

still, the trade off might be worth it. personally, i'd be for a single language world, or at least one with a lingua franca where other languages are learned more for leisure than necessity.
I'm just gonna leave this here.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I heard Quebec-French is actually the French that European royalty historically spoke. Is that true?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quebec runs into these problems a lot, where they whine that they are suppressed minority within greater Canada while suppressing their own minorities that live in Quebec.
Quebec separatism always seemed as much rooted in xenophobia as it is in protecting a culture. Jacques Parizeau blaming "ethnic votes" for losing the 1995 referendum says it all.