• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
This week, the Federal Court ordered Air Canada to pay more than $15,000 ($21,000 CAD) and send formal apology letters to a French-speaking couple in Ottawa for repeated language equality violations.

The lawsuit concerned more than 22 complaints that Michel and Lynda Thibodeau filed against the airline in 2016.

The couple complained the word "lift" was engraved on seatbelts in English but not in French.

They also alleged the French translations of the words "exit" and "warning" were in smaller characters than the English words, and, finally, that a French language boarding announcement at the airport was less detailed than the English boarding call.

"Air Canada systematically violates the linguistic rights of Francophones," argued the Thibodeaus, according to the judgment for the case.

Do you agree, Era!?

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I'm an empathetic person. And since corporations are people, I can't help but feel bad for Air Canada.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Canada and do marketing in both English, French, bilingual. Canada has two official languages. Its not a nice to - its a need to. And while $21,000 is a lot, it sets an example for other companies to not skimp on French.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Air Canada is terrible, plus French is an official language here so maybe don't treat it as a secondary thing?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No but it's not my country or language and I wasn't affected. Maybe this was a hardship for them. I think language as a barrier between cultures is problematic but not up to me to decide which language or blend thereof should be the (pun avoidable but hey) Lingua Franca.

If the value to you of your language is political rather than practical then again, not my politics.

Canada and voters chose this situation. It looks expensive and fraught with emotion and has a maximal heritage weighting of three hundred years followed by profound rejection of its actual aboriginal heritage tongues (for English and French) but so does much of the world.

It'll all work out eventually. I hope. They (the whole world) should pick a language that's objectively flexible and useful and portable.

I'll be embarrassed if we're still having this problem in two or three hundred years except as a purely optional choice.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems excessive, at least for the seatbelt thing, the other stuff seems pretty reasonable. Do other Canadian airlines have seatbelts that have an engraved word in both languages? I would be somewhat concerned that this kind of regulation might be applied selectively to a single company in the suit but not others guilty of doing the same thing

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
As a francophone... I'm sorry but I laughed. This is petty. Anyone claiming to be upset that "Exit" or "lift" are written in English to the point of a lawsuit are concern trolling to the max IMO.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I'm sure I read the same couple also tried to get money from the airline before for something else.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I can understand the part about the word not being in French but the part where the french characters are smaller....now that's silly lol

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greedy couple finding ways to finesse the legal system

I doubt this was for money. It could have cost that much to litigate. Likely something they are passionate and serious about. It's not an English-speaking country with two randos being dicks, it's an officially bilingual country with people rejecting inconsistent application of the law.

Personally I think it's a wasteful and overcomplex situation but it's the local norm and law. If this was a Japanese couple complaining about safety signs that weren't in Japanese, in Japan or pinyin vs traditional Chinese I'm China then it would look different in a headline to the point you might say, well wouldn't it make more sense to have Japanese etc?

But it's local politics and law and I do not have any meaningful say, nor should I.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure this is petty, but I have no sympathy for Air Canada considering the monopoly they have on domestic air travel, the fucking insane prices of domestic airfare, and the paltry salary they pay their pilots compared to other airlines.

Fuck Air Canada.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh $15k is not that much for such a large company. That couple raised some valid complaints imo.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I wonder what the results would be if there was another referendum between Canada and Quebec in today's political climate.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I live in Canada and do marketing in both English, French, bilingual. Canada has two official languages. Its not a nice to - its a need to. And while $21,000 is a lot, it sets an example for other companies to not skimp on French.
Why not go the US route and not declare an official language. Saves everyone from headaches.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Why not go the US route and not declare an official language. Saves everyone from headaches.
Because Canada has two distinct areas (English and Francophone Canada) was founded on having England / France?

Who would avoid the headache? The French speaking people of Canada who only speak French? It also forces foreign food that has no English on its packaging to have both English and French

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I can see the argument for being strict to the law when it comes to airlines and emergency situations but I am curious how strictly it is adhered as the stakes are lowered?

Are ethnic restaurants required to include dish names in French and English on the menu? And if so, what about commonly known words from another language like spaghetti? I'm genuinely curious as I've never been to Canada. French or otherwise.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
An argument can be made that this sort of "petty" behavior has many benefits to the "normie French types" that you take for granted.

Apologies, I'm just tired of communities in my province being forced to drop millions on this stuff when we're already dirt ass poor. Meanwhile the French are fighting their/our own to calm the fuck down and start trying to preserve the culture in a way that doesn't screw everyone over, both Anglo and Francophone.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, screw Airlines and airports in North America but especially in Canada. When I've used them they're terrible. This might be a small window and relatively small potatoes but eh let em burn.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Seems shitty, but imagine how crazy good the world would be if rulings like this occurred normally

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (5 days): inflammatory commentary, insulting an accent and culture
I'd be more sympathetic if Canadian French wasn't itself already an insult to the French language.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, that Macleans article linked earlier in the thread provides some context.

Over the last decade, the Ottawa resident and his wife have filed some 100 complaints over the dearth of French language services against the federal, provincial and Ottawa municipal governments—everyone, he says, except the police.

In 2009, Thibodeau filed seven complaints after trips to Atlanta and the Caribbean for a lack of French services, including being served a Sprite in English. In one instance, according to Thibodeau's affidavit, an Air Canada employee at Toronto's Pearson Airport said he was too busy to make an announcement in French because he "was in the middle of eating a sandwich."

But y'know Air Canada is ass, so all I'm gonna say is that if this man is looking to rob corporate and champion francophone rights (but this guy is probably looking to mostly fleece corporate) I hope he is humanly polite as possible to the regular airline staff he encounters (that isn't.. busy eating a sandwich to make french announcements, I guess.)

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like there would be hundreds of companies that would be affected by this. I'm going to move to Canada and sue all those companies.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there would be hundreds of companies that would be affected by this. I'm going to move to Canada and sue all those companies.
I mean, he made 22 complaints about it.
A normal company would rectify the problem before it goes all the way to a lawsuit.

It's even more stupid because even Air Canada knew they'd lose that lawsuit in a flash.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, uhh, is that translated or did they manage to spit that out in perfect English?
In Canada, interviews in French are frequently translated for English-speaking media, but several Francophones are still bilingual out of a necessity to do business in the private sector outside of Quebec. So it could be either, but in either case, the lawsuit seems to be more about the principle of the issue than an inability to understand. It IS the law and the law must be obeyed.

No, the majority are in full compliance with the law here, and I mean compliant to the absolute LETTER of the law. If you operate a business in Canada nationally selling goods or providing services, this is the minimum expectation to do so. Some companies go the whole way and do English, French AND Spanish, so they only have to print one box/manual/insert for use in the US, Canada and Mexico.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Air Canada charges that much for seat selection so no big deal they'll get it back.

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen a seatbelt with anything other than English on it in any country, but I guess I haven't been paying attention.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This.

And that this can be done is for me as a Eurpean mindblowing.
Really? France is notoriously pushy about its language, including quotas about how many French songs must be played on the radio. And rent seeking lawsuits over technicalities aren't foreign to Europe either.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
including quotas about how many French songs must be played on the radio.

Wow, I don't even think Québec has that.

EDIT: nevermind, we do.

French-language radio stations must devote at least 65% of all Popular Music broadcast each week to French-language selections.

Commercial radio stations also must ensure that at least 55% of the Popular Music broadcast between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday consists of French-language selections.

Also,

All stations must ensure that at least 35% of the Popular Music they broadcast each week is Canadian content.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the part about the word not being in French but the part where the french characters are smaller....now that's silly lol
If you are blind/visually impaired this may be the same to you.

I totally understand it. I mean if it was viceversa people would be more empathetic towards the couple.