• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, nothing like that ever happened in my school or any of my friend's schools. That's the type of thing you are told how to do yourself, but for any actual touching, you'd have to go seek out a doctor at their actual practice.
And while I don't see the harm, I'm not sure how getting touched instead of learning what to do and look for yourself is helpful in that scenario.

To me, it's about as weird as having a dentist perform a teeth cleaning at school, instead of just learning how to take care of your teeth properly.

I didn't question it at that time and today... if just one child is saved from abuse or negligence, it is worth it, regardless if some find it weird. It is not different from a normal doctors visit, it is just at school. For some kids it could be the only chance to get a physical if their parent/s are negligent, ignorant, or abusive.

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
That's an odd story considering men weren't even allowed to show nipples in public when swimming until halfway through the thirties. I guess the law didn't cover public schools.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
None of the schools I went to had pools.
I went to a new high school and construction delays meant we had to be put in trailers on two other campuses for my first semester. The temporary campus I was assigned to had a pool, but we weren't allowed access during the school day.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I can chime in and say that my 80 year old grandpa also claims he had to swim naked in gym class throughout highschool and college. Girls and boys were split so it was seen as totally ok.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I think 80% of this forum would not have been old enough to have experienced this.

Group showers were still a thing at high school in 2013 though.

Nov 26, 2018
My dad is 69, but he doesn't even remember how he passed swimming, since he can't swim lol.

Mom is 60, but wore swimsuits. However, she does remember MIDDLE SCHOOL gym class where the girls were instructed to jog and clasp their hands together at chest level and chant "we must, we must, we must increase our bust!"

I've never known my mom to be a liar in these cases (as I've had to play therapist one too many times) so that's just appalling.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not old enough for the question, but I can tell you, in my school, after PE, no one ever showered because it was one big communal shower are. Not even a divider between showers. Swimming was normal swim wear, so nothing too bad.

My current gym has individual shower units with locks, just to contrast. Literally one of my requirements for a gym.

Dec 3, 2018
That's extremely fucked up and no, never heard of it.

In primary school (UK) we used to all get changed for sports in the same classroom, some kids would just take everything off. That was weird I guess.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
This was standard in Chicago Public Schools back in the day. From what I've read anyways.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
What about those old school gym shorts that are so short your dick and balls would escape out of one side or the other? I hated those because I wore boxers back then and they where longer than the shorts. Shit was stupid.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I still swim naked, it is more hygienic.

The nice thing is, after a few minutes you tend to have the whole pool to yourself.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's like some shit from ancient Rome or something. I'm not that old, but I've never heard of it having been a thing in the past here in Sweden.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
It was definitely a thing back in the day, for a variety of reasons and superstitions. Required communal showering in schools lasted longer and... may still exist in some cases? I haven't exactly kept up to date on that. We're generally much more skittish about nudity nowadays, though not so much in regard to women, what with a two-piece bathing suit once being considered controversial.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a thread that doesn't make me feel old cause I've never even heard of such a thing before.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
We had separate showers for boys and girls. We were required to shower after PE. I think the mandatory showers stopped in like 2005.

this topic is nuts
why were they doing this?
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Never had a pool at school. Although there was a running joke in the school newspaper that the pool was always weeks away from opening, and it was going to be on the roof.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The weirder story was the one where this guy was taking pictures of nude students all the way up till college or something, and you basically sat down and had your nude photo taken and he was able to get a lot of famous politicians and people (Hillary Clinton, Meryl Streep, etc.) before someone said, hey, why are we doing this again? They eventually burned all the photos.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The weirder story was the one where this guy was taking pictures of nude students all the way up till college or something, and you basically sat down and had your nude photo taken and he was able to get a lot of famous politicians and people (Hillary Clinton, Meryl Streep, etc.) before someone said, hey, why are we doing this again? They eventually burned all the photos.
https://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/15/...ue-nude-posture-photo-scandal.html?sec=health

For anyone who wants to read more about that.

I don't think the naked swimming is exactly the same since it's something everyone did for centuries and was aware of across all levels of society. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_swimming