• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I've been playing the Switch version by the way, and I'm glad to say it looks fantastic (better than I thought) and the frame rate is solid. I noticed some lag, but its nothing major really. if someone is thinking of getting the game on Switch, don't hesitate. it is a great version from Spike Chunsoft.

Ah man, that sounds really good, I don't mind lag too much since its a VN but my main concern was how it looked and the resolution. Was this docked or handheld by the way?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Ah man, that sounds really good, I don't mind lag too much since its a VN but my main concern was how it looked and the resolution. Was this docked or handheld by the way?

Docked. It is a clean and beautiful looking game, characters models are also more expressive than past Uchikoshi games. as an AA game, I feel this kind of product is better for Switch than AAA titles with performance issues.

I want to say something though: this game is nothing like 999. I think it is always better to not built wrong expectations about any product. the atmosphere, the nature of the game, the way the story unfolds, the characters... it is completely different. though if you've been following the writer's work, you won't mistake his style and his way of leaving "clues" for the reader and challenging their expectations.

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As the reviews noted, some 6th-grade level sex jokes are kind of taking me out of this, but it's a good start so far. Excited to see where the crazy goes.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
As the reviews noted, some 6th-grade level sex jokes are kind of taking me out of this, but it's a good start so far. Excited to see where the crazy goes.

A lot of it is technically inner monologue, which makes a lot of sense.

A lot of it isn't though...which given the writer also makes a lot of sense.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The human Aiba introduction is really the only thing I thought was iredeemably terrible. Otherwise, you typically get the other character in the scene immediately come in with a better line that puts Date down.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The human Aiba introduction is really the only thing I thought was iredeemably terrible. Otherwise, you typically get the other character in the scene immediately come in with a better line that puts Date down.
That is indeed the scene that most took me out of it.

Still, good to know that might be the worst of it. Onward! (My poor Astral Chain file is receiving so little love...)

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
f1510e82ea98646f2d2f6f3d4ef9d698.png

"Out" now but not purchasable on Steam. I really wish Spike Chunsoft would release their PC games at the regular time most devs do.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
It runs fine on the Switch in handheld mode so far. One brief frame rate hitch in a cutscene with tracking a fast moving car. I played VLR and ZTD on the Vita, so I wanted to stick with a handheld.

I forgot how cringe the dialogue can be in an Uchikoshi game, but I am hoping the story is as engaging as his previous work.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
A review thread that doesn't actually state the platforms the game has been released on. Looks interesting, what has this come out on?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely wouldn't be miffed if this is what we can expect from the next Ace Attorney. It's still a VN, but you can really feel the bump in budget.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017

i made this tweet when i was watching a friend go through the ZE trilogy, but man, same as it ever was

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, why would you run the game windowed anyway?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Docked. It is a clean and beautiful looking game, characters models are also more expressive than past Uchikoshi games. as an AA game, I feel this kind of product is better for Switch than AAA titles with performance issues.

Do you know anything about how it plays handheld? That's primarily the reason I wanted to get it on switch, so I can play in bed.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The dub has been fantastic across the board. Date, Mizuki, Pewter and Ota in particular have been real standouts.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Do you know anything about how it plays handheld? That's primarily the reason I wanted to get it on switch, so I can play in bed.

Played for an hour of docked and handheld tonight. Handheld felt like the better experience. Most of the frame hiccups happened while docked.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Almost the exact same as docked. I didn't face any issues and the Somnium part was smooth (you can move and control your character in Somnium parts).

I did wish that the whole UI was responsive for touch though, like AA or Danganronpa. but it doesn't appear this way to me. you will have to use buttons.