• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Skipping Link's Awakening (my favorite top-down Zelda) for this. Hope it's worth it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. What about the sex stuff? Is it just jokes or is there actually stuff going on?

It's all jokes. And a lot of them. A lot. Like I can't understate how often they pop up.

Wow, we have the same theory I am a bit further but something similar is brewing in my mind.

I am exactly (as it's on my screen right now) during
"date" with Iris at the Mermaid cafe

I don't think I'm mixing paths up but that one one was a bit less tense/action packed at that point

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Should get my copy on Tuesday. Half tempted to get it on Steam and cancel my phys preorder.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Current progress: hit one lock, then jumped all the way back to the first branch and am now a few days down the opposite side of the tree. About 9 hours in.

I'm really enjoying it (despite the constant sex jokes, about 90% of which fall flat), but I do have to re-emphasize that this is much closer to a straight visual novel or traditional Japanese mystery game than the ZE games, despite the jump in presentation.

The Somnium segments have been weaker than I hoped so far though. Too often I'm getting stuck and turning to trying everything on every available object, only to find there was one I forgot about or didn't realize I could interact with a second time. There's a lot of funny moments in them and sometimes some great imagery, but as gameplay they're kind of a drag, especially with the time limit.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting the game till next week cause I'm going physical but I'm very excited to see what's up. I really missed playing a new Uchikoshi title.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
Finished this morning.

Is it just me or does this game feel smaller in scope compared to VLR. I felt like VLR had a lot more lock and key nodes in the flowchart compared to the two unavoidable lock and key nodes in this game. I just expected to be pulled in a bunch of different directions. The story felt short with some plot elements left unused (boss' name, Renju and Pewter's relationship, timeline hoping explanations, Date's real name). Not to say they're plot holes, I just felt they could've been used more effectively.

It's a great story with pretty high production values, I just felt like it's kinda short, especially for a full priced game. I definitely didn't get a huge mind blown moment like VLR and 999 had (ZTD was just kinda dumb, in a fun way).

Also for those who want to know how bloody the game gets
Left branch is MUCH bloodier compared to right branch

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So many puns everywhere, i wish i could understand japanese better! But damn date is such a troll i love it!

Still i'm disappointed there's almost no puzzle in there

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I just finished one of the endings, and then after the credits it cut to a scene where I can interact with a bunch of stuff but doesn't seem to finish and give me a the ending title card. So I'm not sure if there's still something I should be doing. Just wondering as I know you have to reach an end to unlock other parts of the chart.

For those that have finished it's the
end where Mizuki psychs with you to free your soul. After the credits roll it's just you two in the shrine.

Not sure if I'm just supposed to jump to another part of the chart from here, since I haven't actually gotten the ending title card yet that says what ending it is.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished one of the endings, and then after the credits it cut to a scene where I can interact with a bunch of stuff but doesn't seem to finish and give me a the ending title card. So I'm not sure if there's still something I should be doing. Just wondering as I know you have to reach an end to unlock other parts of the chart.

end where Mizuki psychs with you to free your soul. After the credits roll it's just you two in the shrine.

Not sure if I'm just supposed to jump to another part of the chart from here, since I haven't actually gotten the ending title card yet that says what ending it is.

When you reach a dead end in the flowchart you should jump to another part of the flowchart where it branches.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017

Once you reach an ending the game will open the flowchart back up. So keep going.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017

Did you exhaust every dialogue option with her? Were there any travel options?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Current progress: hit one lock, then jumped all the way back to the first branch and am now a few days down the opposite side of the tree. About 9 hours in.

I'm really enjoying it (despite the constant sex jokes, about 90% of which fall flat), but I do have to re-emphasize that this is much closer to a straight visual novel or traditional Japanese mystery game than the ZE games, despite the jump in presentation.

The Somnium segments have been weaker than I hoped so far though. Too often I'm getting stuck and turning to trying everything on every available object, only to find there was one I forgot about or didn't realize I could interact with a second time. There's a lot of funny moments in them and sometimes some great imagery, but as gameplay they're kind of a drag, especially with the time limit.

I like some of the ideas of the Somnium sections like taking a pointless action to get a time reducer or trying to find actions to use the time punishing actions on, but it isn't the most thrilling "ah hah" gameplay when you figure stuff out.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah, once I figured out the flow, I would be farming for TIMIEs so I could take actions with the least amount of time taken as possible.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I like some of the ideas of the Somnium sections like taking a pointless action to get a time reducer or trying to find actions to use the time punishing actions on, but it isn't the most thrilling "ah hah" gameplay when you figure stuff out.

Yeah there's a bit of fun strategy in the time management, but the ostensible point of the sequences (figure out what to do in dream logic) keeps falling flat for me. The game can't seem to make up its mind if it wants solutions to be totally logical (lock the door to keep someone from coming in), symbolic (stop a spinning parasol to stop a giant spinning cage), or just random (input a fighting game combo on this lever), so I just wind up trying things mostly at random while managing my time.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Story took some time to get going (despite brutal murders) but now i'm 4 hours and and got to a major oh shit moment and my first
flowchart lock.
Uchikochi got me by the balls again with that tease and all the many question i have thus far. Can't wait to see where this is going, long weekend ahoy.

Apropos by the balls, there's a surprising lot of (sexual) humor in the game. Not like his past games didn't had any of that, but good chunks of AI thus far can be legitimately classed as comedy in terms of tone. Not that i'm disliking it, it was just unexpected.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm Uchikoshi how is the weed?

Alien decoding satellite AI and knock off illuminati agents

giphy.gif

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
hows switch performance?
this will be joining my backlog of games I have waiting for me after finishing three houses

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Finished it and it was awesome. Kinda disappointed by the length though, but I think it's because I liked it and didn't want it to end.
Not as mind bending as 999 or VLR though, most of the twist were predictable enough to feel more gratifying than shocking.

Mixed bag on the Somnium parts though, some of them were too easy/useless while there is one that felt way harder without a particular reason. And the fact that they represent dreams and some solutions having no fucking sense is also weird.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
awesome OT. good job, Xavi.

i won't have time to play this for a while, but i already know it's gonna be an amazing experience when i get around to it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
hows switch performance?
this will be joining my backlog of games I have waiting for me after finishing three houses

There is noticeable slowdown at certain points, especially in the car and when it brings up a video replay on the screen through Aiba. It almost stalls out and feels like it might have glitched out at times tbh but then it loads it up.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I consider Yusuke Kozaki one of my favorite illustrators, but Kotaro Uchikoshi has long since fallen out of favor with me as a writer. Loved 999, but strongly disliked VLR, and hated ZTD not only on its own, but also how it affected the previous games and the way the universe of Zero Escape worked (I'd go as far as to say as it made the first two games worse retroactively).

Not particularly convinced to give Uchikoshi a third chance with this, so sticking with impressions for now, as reviews were useless for VLR and ZTD (not that I would know which impressions to go with, as most people on Era seeming to like VLR will make it difficult to gauge whose opinions are more likely to align with my own).

My apologies for the pessimism concerning what's a new, unrelated project. Good work on the OT.

Last edited:

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
What's the cheapest physical price here in the UK? The cheapest I found was 42 quid.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Got Iris END, so far not impressed. Shit is all over the place.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
How does it compares to Ever17 and Remember 11?
999 and VLR were great, but after ZTD I'm a bit wary of Uchikoshi.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I consider Yusuke Kozaki one of my favorite illustrators, but Kotaro Uchikoshi has long since fallen out of favor with me as a writer. Loved 999, but strongly disliked VLR, and hated ZTD not only on its own, but also how it affected the previous games and the way the universe of Zero Escape worked (I'd go as far as to say as it made the first two games worse retroactively).

Not particularly convinced to give Uchikoshi a third chance with this, so sticking with impressions for now, as reviews were useless for VLR and ZTD (not that I would know which impressions to go with, as most people on Era seeming to like VLR will make it difficult to gauge whose opinions are more likely to align with my own).

My apologies for the pessimism concerning what's a new, unrelated project. Good work on the OT.
How does it compares to Ever17 and Remember 11?
999 and VLR were great, but after ZTD I'm a bit wary of Uchikoshi.

I wrote a review and considering both of you are wary of Uchikoshi output, I would recommend to pick it up in a sale then. It's something I can more easily recommend to those that liked the zero escape trilogy. In the case of hans, the game reminds me more of 999 and VLR than ZTD. Production is much better and, opposed to ZTD, there's no "previous baggage" holding Uchikoshi. I feel that ZTD having a problematic development + having to continue VLR were his main downfalls (even though I really like some things in that game)

While ZTD wasn't fully writen by Uchikoshi as far as I know, I can see AI having some issues with some players.
Without giving any spoilers, the game shines in it's characters and some of it's mysteries. It's nice to see Uchikoshi trying a different concept even if some of it comes back as being similar to his previous works.
The issues come from some concepts that don't mix well with the narrative , an unbalance between the story paths (too much info in one, too much events in other so to speak) and a few other things. I still gave the game a 9/10 because it's really entertaining despite the issues.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
On the Somnium level that's (Right path spoilers)
the first shovelforge level, where you have to choose whether to believe Iris. How do you choose the option to not believe Iris?

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
Have not heard of this game until just now after having stumbled across this thread. I loved 999 (the sequels not as much)--can anyone chime in here and give me their thoughts on the similarity between the two?

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the game. I really enjoyed the game despite its flaws.

Also......

That dance ending was soooooo good. It's my goty for that ending alone

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
On the Somnium level that's (Right path spoilers)
the first shovelforge level, where you have to choose whether to believe Iris. How do you choose the option to not believe Iris?
Instead of crafting the monument you need to do the craftn/a option then break down a wall. After that I think you break the mirror when the pyramid shows up. Pretty sure that was it.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone pre-ordered the game on the EU PSN store? A couple of hours ago it was already in my download list/library, but now when it should be available it is gone and I am told to rebuy it, even though it's still shown in the transaction list?

Edit: Looks like the gave me back the 54€ I paid and now I have to buy it for the full price of 60€, what a bunch of assholes.

Last edited:

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
No need to play anymore, I got the best ending already. Just ask the receptionist to run away with you to Atami repeatedly.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Still unable to order a PS4 copy from Amazon to Australia. Should I wait for release day to see what happens with the stock then or is there another good online retailer I could order from?
I preferably want an NA copy rather than UK seeing that's what my ZE trilogy is.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I like how (vague spoilers for the righmost path, I would advise not clicking if you haven't gotten to Day 5 of the rightmost path though, which is where I'm at)

the game uses your experience playing the Nonary games against you..