• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished the ending on the left most, the one with the Ota ending (? The kid who lives the idol). What's the best story, go from left to right on the branches?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this yesteday.

I liked it overall not at the same level as 999 etc but is a very different beast altoghter. Id say Yakuza zero is probably the funniest game ive ever played and this would maybe just be in a tier below that, some silly random lines were just gold.

Did anyone else feel the final end was a bit too obvious? Like if you pay even a little bit of attention to the ages of the characters and the timeframe of events, it was kinda really clear what was happening. I guess its good they didn't feel forced to do a lot of big dumb twists out of nowhere.

I also didn;t think the multiple branches made a lot of sense in this or it wasn't as justified as it is in other games.

The final dance scence is glorious.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Two locks in and loving it. Psyncing in the brain indeed

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I just got to my first ending (
Iris Ending
). I went back and finished the Psync another way and now just ended up with a lock. How do you unlock them? Is it like VLR where as you play different options appear as you get through other paths?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I just got to my first ending (
Iris Ending
). I went back and finished the Psync another way and now just ended up with a lock. How do you unlock them? Is it like VLR where as you play different options appear as you get through other paths?

Pretty much, though they are rarer than in VLR. Just keep playing and you'll unlock them when it's time to see them.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose the beginning is intentionally slow because after 2 hours nothing really interesting happened so far. Also, should I be clicking everything?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ the day 5 somnium on the red route is... Probably among the most emotionally traumatising things I've played, and it's so... Restrained by comparison to what's come before

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I just got through the game and now working to platinum it. I'm struggling to finish the Dream Album. I'm missing 3 As, page 15, 19, 23 and the last page 27. Did I forget to do something in their psyncs?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Mizuki is a ninja that can dodge bullets and beat bodyguards. Got it.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
How does this compare to 999, VLR and Danganronpa? I love those three games.
While Ai is from the same scenario writer/director as 999 and VLR, the story is more self contained and grounded. You do have to jump around like in VLR to get all of the ends and the true end, but there are a lot less branches.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Just finished the game, loved it. Some wonderfully written characters, great story, music and lots of humor.

Game deserves more recognition.

I will say though, i'm glad I did all the routes on the left first because one of the routes on the right side gives you a hint that kind of ruins the entire mystery.

the fact that you can swap bodies if you psync with someone for more than 6 minutes

Knowing that towards the beginning would've ruined a lot of moments where you're supposed to be confused.

So if anyone has yet to play the game, do the
left routes first !

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering how long I have left, I'm gessing ~10h. I've finished Ota's, Mizuki's, and Iris's routes, Green route to the lock, I haven't started the pink route yet.

I did the left side first, and I'm glad I did.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
somehow this flew under my radar.

How does it compares to the Zero Escape trilogy? From the reviews, I guess its at least better than the last one...

EDIT: Just read ShyMel post. Gonna buy this soon, I love this kind of games

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ the green route is literally "I'm here to drop bombs and chew gum, and I'm all out of gum"

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game, loved it. Some wonderfully written characters, great story, music and lots of humor.

I will say though, i'm glad I did all the routes on the left first because one of the routes on the right side gives you a hint that kind of ruins the entire mystery.

the fact that you can swap bodies if you psync with someone for more than 6 minutes

Knowing that towards the beginning would've ruined a lot of moments where you're supposed to be confused.

left routes first !
I think you can't do that route on the right to begin with, you need to unlock something in the left side before it. Only a single route is open in the right route to begin with, and that doesn't spoil the mystery.

I did the right route first and don't recall getting that piece of info.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

left routes first !

Following up on what Euler said, to be clear...

If you don't believe Iris, there's a lock after you're told about her actual condition. Actually I think that's when you find the body again, right? You get that much and then it stops? I think that's it. But you don't get any more than that.

...I actually picked that side first of the two branches about believing Iris or not, which is the one thing that felt a little off about my route order, as I'd rather not have known she was wrong for her entire route. Felt like it should have locked before that.

I bounced back and forth across the initial branch every time I finished a route or was locked, and felt pretty happy with that, beyond that one branch I just wish I'd taken the other side in first. And while I think they maybe left open the possibility of people taking an unsatisfying route through the game (if only for some portion of it), it has been very interesting to see how people who focused on one side or the other figure out certain things very early, or have it influence their guesses in very different ways.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I will say... These loading pauses whenever it wants to bring up an old model or in some cases a picture are seriously detracting from the pacing

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Something I was wondering about...

In the Mizuki route ending, Saito is in So's body right? In that case it doesn't really make any sense for him to try and kill Date, since his entire goal is to get his original body back.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Just wrapped. Holy crap that was good.

Not quite 999 level bombas, but a much tighter package, and the character work is fantastic.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Loose ends I'm going to have to look through the thread for: (whole game spoils)

it never is adequately explained how information jumps between branches other than "parallel worlds", is it?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Loose ends I'm going to have to look through the thread for:

it never is adequately explained how information jumps between branches other than "parallel worlds", is it?

Nope, never really explained. It's a plot point I generally really like so I'm fine with them not getting into it, honestly.

Frankly, it actually makes more sense to roll with as a thing that's happening than some of the stuff they were trying to get into with slowly regaining/regrowing/whatever memories after a body switch. Cause I'm pretty sure there was at least one description where what happened made 0 sense to me given how Falcon had already switched bodies multiple times? So I couldn't mind it much.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that's a little disappointing given they kind of point it out a few times.

Zero escape spoils
I mean, that's the absolute best part of the whole previous franchise, so I get it, but still

I would probably have said something about the collective unconsciousness or the wadjet system or something

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Man (full game spoils)
both incomplete endings in the left hand route are real bad huh? Especially otas... Because which "boss" is talking to you are the end?

Blergh. Thank God for true end

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
People said play the left route first, but the right route is really bad and nonsensical and makes me want to quit the game after playing the good left side.
Should have played right first.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I just finished the game! I bought it the launch day, but it took me a while to finish it because I made several breaks after each route to experience it like a TV series and make the cliffhangers last longer.

SPOILER-FREE

PROS:
- The cast is fairly good. Not all of them are awesome or memorable, but I liked most of them.
- The setting and the story is great.
- Some of the twists are clever and some are a bit obvious, but all of them are really cool. Even so, the game don't need them to give us a good mystery.
- The music.
- The setting of the Somnium scenes are great, and the interactions between Date and Aiba was funny. I enjoyed the idea of managing the time.
- I liked dumb and surreal humor...

CONS:
- But most of the sexual jokes were awful, some of them even throw me of the game. Very poorly writen. They needed a lot of more work.
- The gameplay of the Somnium scenes are mediocre. Some have good puzzles, but most of them were very random or boring. After the first Somnium I was very hyped about the idea of dream puzzles. What a let down...
- I wanted more interrogations!

At the end, I enjoyed the game a lot, and I'm very grateful that the experience was totally different to the Zero's games (999 is one of my favourite games of all time, and VLR was a great experience since the beginning to the end). So I can only recommend it to anyone searching a good mystery game and is open to crazy ideas, and the typical japanese quirkness.

I hope the next game mystery of the team it's something new again!

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Finished today, game was certainly meatier than I expected! Pacing felt off at several moments due to the branching, and the game overall feels longer than it needed to be but that's likely my fault for being OCD about clicking every background object in every scene. I'm glad I did though, there's a lot of funny stuff hidden in there.

The technical performance on Switch was atrocious though, especially late in the game. The CONSTANT flashback popups that paused for up to 10 seconds to load in were unbelievable, I can't believe so many got left in the game if they caused the game to hitch that badly. There's on particular car ride where you get four in a quick sequence (two of which are the SAME POPUP) and it caused my game to crash!

Even with those warts though, the writing was consistently funny and engaging and man, these are maybe my favorite characters of 2019. Aiba and Mizuki are unforgettable.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Did nobody else notice that the taxi driver was based on Iyami from Osomatsu? He even talks like this zansu! Ending every sentence with Zansu zansu!

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Finished the game just now. Took me just under 30 hours and I loved almost every minute of it, even the Somnium parts which I thought got progressively better and more puzzle-like the further into the story you get. The final scene left me with a giant smile.

There's a lot to wrap your head around and I can't wait to finally catch up on the spoilers in this thread after getting some sleep, but 🤯 seems like a good way to summarize it right now. Uchikoshi is a master at what he does and I can't begin to image how difficult it must be to write a branching story this complex where everything comes together neatly in the end and each separate branch is still interesting, thrilling, touching and humorous in its own right.

ZTD was an outlier, Uchi is back with a fantastic original story, can't wait for his next game.

Finally got around to this game and reading this thread, and this, this, this.

So many mysteries set up, a lot of which are brief but keep your brain working, and have a great payoff at the end.

Endgame stuff...

Absolutely loved the Manaka/Hitomi/Renju backstory and didn't expect the game to take that turn. Which ends up leading to the Falco backstory which is also great. The killer reveal at the end is also awesome, between the two main branches and how he broke down the sequence of events and the issues he ran into trying to mastermind everything. Having the kills be handled by a different body each time was clever as hell and didn't expect that.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah like this game isn't that twisty by comparison to other uchikoshi games, but like compared to every other game it still had a moment where the penny dropped and I was like OH SHIT EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE BUT ALSO I DON'T LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Is there a trick or a correct path on getting the Boss A photo in 'Syncing in the Refrain?'
I can get to the end just fine but not with the extra time left to unlock the photo :/

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
so where in the date household exactly is the bathroom and their other clothes storage? There's one exit out of their apartment, and it's implied it goes directly out to the hallway.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
I think someone asked about the bathroom thing on Twitter and this was their response lol

EIrZ6esU8AAVD_K

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is someone took offence to the LGBT thing?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I need help. I'm trying to get through Psyncin' in the SWaiN (Mizuki route) and somehow keep running out of time. I've tried watching walkthrough videos and time drains much faster for me than in these videos. I get to the part where I throw something at the power board, but right after that plays out my time ticks down to nothing.

Edit: I got it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That review bombing was messed up. Even more messed up that it was a reset era user doing it.

What an awful person.