• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this going to change game dev?

• Yeah

Votes: 1,287 71.1%
  • Naw

Votes: 523 28.9%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2017
Tried gigapixel and letsenhance on family pictures from the early 2000s using webcams and first gen digital cameras. Works to a degree but still flawed. I began wondering if Google Photos will go this route with their face identifying tech. Use thousands of pictures of one family member to fix the face from a picture thats 640x480 with the only input from you is identifying the which person is which.

Ninjatogo

Oct 28, 2017
Tried gigapixel and letsenhance on family pictures from the early 2000s using webcams and first gen digital cameras. Works to a degree but still flawed. I began wondering if Google Photos will go this route with their face identifying tech. Use thousands of pictures of one family member to fix the face from a picture thats 640x480 with the only input from you is identifying the which person is which.
It wouldn't need 1000s of photos of that particular person, it just needs a general understanding of what it's looking at in the photo; then it can sample from similar facial features it has learned from other peoples photos. Using you example, Google has billions of photos to learn and sample from, so even with one low-res photo of person, never photographed before, they should be able to reach a point where they can generate a pretty close prediction of what the high-res version would be.

sviru

Apr 4, 2019
Extracted backgrounds from MI2 Special Edition too, because why not. Lets compare them:

Original:
jwTBjLS.png

AI magic:
uhYCGkv.jpg

Special Edition (made some adjustment to make it fit to other two):
MZXWW3g.jpg

AI version, being (obviously) much closer to the original vision and style is... better? WTF?!

This is so good. Plase tell me what is the max resolution you can upscale it to? Is there a limit?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Extracted backgrounds from MI2 Special Edition too, because why not. Lets compare them:

Original:
jwTBjLS.png

AI magic:
uhYCGkv.jpg

Special Edition (made some adjustment to make it fit to other two):
MZXWW3g.jpg

AI version, being (obviously) much closer to the original vision and style is... better? WTF?!

Jesus F christ

This is mind blowing

OK, I just got a result so impressive I'm in semi-disbelief myself. This was from a random profile pic, not a specific game, but the results are in the "wow" category for me.

So, source image (I ran this, then ran the result through the process again):

4542-profileavatarooj7t.png

To help get a sense of the amount of detail in the pic, here's a nearest neighbor upscale made in Photoshop to match the output size I would end up getting:

nearestneighborscaledv3jg4.jpg

And this was the actual result from running that first image through the process twice:

recursiveresultndjuq.jpg

I'm honestly so impressed with the result, I feel like I'm gushing.

enhancetest3gck03.gif

This is SO HILARIOUS because you know all these shitty cop shows where they're like, get

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
After all the anger about the shitty new DBZ transfer, I'm wondering if the best thing to do would just be shoving the Dragon Box transfers into one of these programs and calling it a day.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
After all the anger about the shitty new DBZ transfer, I'm wondering if the best thing to do would just be shoving the Dragon Box transfers into one of these programs and calling it a day.

Dragon Box have used bad versions of the masters too.

Only Funimation seems to have the good copy of the masters but they decide to consistently destroy them with each shitty release.

There's also the audio problem where Toei lost the high quality audio and fans had to rip it out from VHS and send it to them and they said they didn't want it.

Funimation was also given the high quality audio (stereo japanese tracks).

May 26, 2018
Dragon Box have used bad versions of the masters too.

Only Funimation seems to have the good copy of the masters but they decide to consistently destroy them with each shitty release.

There's also the audio problem where Toei lost the high quality audio and fans had to rip it out from VHS and send it to them and they said they didn't want it.

Funimation was also given the high quality audio (stereo japanese tracks).

THEY WERE GIVEN THE STEREO TRACKS?! Those were lost! I could've sworn they were!

May 26, 2018
They were. Fans put them back together and it can be found illegally online.

Funimation was given the tracks. Needless to say it sounds incredible.

Always, always let fans record your stuff second hand. Because when you destroy your archives, accidentally or otherwise, they'll save your ass! Same thing happened to old Doctor Who episodes. Back in the day, the BBC habitually erased all their content after a short time, but fans recorded audio and video and so we can still see into the past. Super valuable stuff.

Keep circulating the tapes, as MST3k says.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I wish Square would run this for FF9 backgrounds on the Switch. I know there are PC mods but this feels too easy and inexpensive to not use for ports/remasters.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Can this be run on the fly or is there texture fanagling at play?

Is it possible to just boot up a rom of say turtles in time and it'll run?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I've never watched them myself but I've always heard the Dragon Boxes were fantastic and highly accurate to the source, with their only problem being that they're not in HD (which something like Gigapixel could fix).

They are absolutely not accurate, they used masters that had been degraded because of old age. The colors are all messed up, some instances the detail is also lost, the audio is absolute trash etc...

It was just better than the awful cropped and overly saturated, filtered mess Funimation put out ... The lesser of two evil.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They are absolutely not accurate, they used masters that had been degraded because of old age. The colors are all messed up, some instances the detail is also lost, the audio is absolute trash etc...

It was just better than the awful cropped and overly saturated, filtered mess Funimation put out ... The lesser of two evil.

Well that's disappointing. I'd still like to see them AI upscaled though, it would make for an interesting exercise. Especially if they replaced any of that lost detail.

Hey, here's an idea. Train an AI on DBZ, then run Super through it. :D

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been trying this out on the Steam version of "Shadow Man" and have been getting some really good results:
DccAg9W.jpg

If the demand is there, a pack could be created.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I have been trying this out on the Steam version of "Shadow Man" and have been getting some really good results:
DccAg9W.jpg

If the demand is there, a pack could be created.
Played it on 64, the difference is night and day on that emblem wow. The scope of the The Asylum blew me away back then and that was just one zone. Without a guide back then I ran around for hours trying to make progress. I would be highly interested in a pack.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a way to include proper controller support in the PC version. That would be the cherry on the cake. The current ways of using third party apps isn't ideal.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I wish there was a way to include proper controller support in the PC version. That would be the cherry on the cake. The current ways of using third party apps isn't ideal.

That seems to be a problem with console ports of the time, Soul Reaver also isn't ideal with its lack of analog control

At least Steam makes it easy to bind keyboard keys to a pad, even if it is a compromise

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most impressive graphics achievement since Mario 64.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
which of the available software is the best for upscaling artwork? I have some stuff that i would like to have as a print but with a bit of a crappy resolution...

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Rages megatexture tech was pretty cool until you looked closer. I wonder if this could fix it, that could be a hell of an undertaking, and I'm curious if you can even actually unpack them all.
If the AI upscaling is fast enough, it would be perfect fit to do during runtime.

Later patch added bicubic upscale to texture after maximum resolution was reached and camera went closer to texture.
At that point the game upscaled the texture and store it to same virtual texture atlas and renderer never knew the difference.
It would be awesome to change the bicubic scaler to proper AI upscaler, renderer wouldn't have to be changed in any way.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is unbelievable

This is the vomit they are selling on every console and Steam

f61c8b22867ea6fed8dbc74259c5c91e.jpg

This is fitered background + old font + CRT filter

O3eM3XE.jpg

SEK66eb.jpg

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this makes me want to replay even though I replayed it right when it came out.

Do you have links to all of the mods used? I want this.

What i did is :

- moguri mod (it installs the backgrounds and old font and also adds Analog direction, the pressure is busted but at least you can walk around 360 degrees now)
It comes with Memoria which lets you speed up the battle transitions and battle speed in general (make it run at 20 fps in the .ini it's perfect and pick "fast" battle)

Then install Reshade and do this :

- "HDR" (important to preserve contrasts with the CRT)
- Adaptive CRT make it high resolution so that it's subtle
- AdaptiveSharpen
-TechniColor1
-TechnoColor 2 (both at the same time offset each other to give colors that are very close to the original without "CRT")

They are selling the game like this

9b6efb9aa215a77621c46678743ceaae.jpg

I can't

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could we get a list in OP of the current mods out there that implemented this feature into their respective games?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember the game much anymore, but did Final Fantasy 9 also have a lot of static background-to-FMV scenes like FF 8? How are those handled? Wouldn't the transition look jarring?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
What i did is :

- moguri mod (it installs the backgrounds and old font and also adds Analog direction, the pressure is busted but at least you can walk around 360 degrees now)
It comes with Memoria which lets you speed up the battle transitions and battle speed in general (make it run at 20 fps in the .ini it's perfect and pick "fast" battle)

Then install Reshade and do this :

- "HDR" (important to preserve contrasts with the CRT)
- Adaptive CRT make it high resolution so that it's subtle
- AdaptiveSharpen
-TechniColor1
-TechnoColor 2 (both at the same time offset each other to give colors that are very close to the original without "CRT")

They are selling the game like this

9b6efb9aa215a77621c46678743ceaae.jpg

I can't
I don't really mind the base remaster since touch/mouse controls are pretty nice but I'm definitely gonna install all these mods next time I want to replay because it looks sooooo good.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really have to wonder...when will a game publisher actually commercially use ESRGAN in a remaster that they sell. I hope it's Capcom for RE 1-3.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Not sure if I am doing it right by my results are awful
enBdq9D.png

sBDQ5K2.jpg

It just looks like sharpening was added. I know the original texture is garbage but I expected the outcome to look a bit better

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
enBdq9D.png

sBDQ5K2.jpg

It just looks like sharpening was added. I know the original texture is garbage but I expected the outcome to look a bit better

If the first image is your original then you get that result because it's not actually a low res image and the visible pixels represent one individual pixel, your image was upscaled before (or it used tome form of interpolation between each pixel), each visible pixel consists of 4 or more. Downscale the image before upscaling it again with ESRGAN could yield better results or use a different model.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I really have to wonder...when will a game publisher actually commercially use ESRGAN in a remaster that they sell. I hope it's Capcom for RE 1-3.
The folks who ported Catherine to PC a few months back used a similar model to improve the low-res textures.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Could we get a list in OP of the current mods out there that implemented this feature into their respective games?

This is a good shout. Here's a list I've made so far that could be placed in OP:

PC Games
Deus Ex
Doom (1993)
Elder Scrolls III, The: Morrowind
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
GTA: Vice City
Half Life
Hexen
Resident Evil HD Remaster
Red Faction
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Turok 2

Gamecube
F-Zero GX
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Soul Calibur 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Viewtiful Joe

Wii Virtual Console
Pokémon Snap
Wave Race 64

Let me know if anyone has any more to add :)

Last edited:

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
enBdq9D.png

sBDQ5K2.jpg

Here's the original 1px size that should have been be used:
resimg.png

python test.py models/RRDB_ESRGAN_x4.pth
resimg-rlt.png

python net_interp.py 0.8
python test.py models/interp_08.pth
(Could try with a lower value like 0.4 for even less sharpening noise)
resimg-rlt-interpolated-0-8.png

Edit:
Interpolation 0.4
face-only-rlt.png
Better but not much... Maybe it's a question of settings? Still not sure.

Note that the algorithm works best on 3D renders, photographic or painting-style images. It's not as good on plain colors with dithering or rough pixel-art. Without context and implicit blury details giving a general direction, there can't be new details guesses generated, and the sharpening becomes obvious between blocks of pure color.
Edit: from the "how to get it working" blog:
1. ESRGAN's default networks were trained on a very specific type of image. That is, high resolution photographs downscaled with bicubic sampling. So it struggles with pics that went through color reduction or heavy dithering (like you see with old prerendered sprites), pictures that are blurry (I'd recommend downscaling them by 50%, as you'll still get a 2x resolution boost), and pixel art. It may be possible to "tune" it by training it on specific categories of images. I've had some success adding small amounts of noise to the images to help it out, or blurring out color banding or sharp edges.
So that's why your image is a no ; because it uses indexed colors and very rough dithering on the skin.

So waifu2X would work better for your texture. http://waifu2x.udp.jp/
It's fit for that kind of plain colors digital art. (You could mix and match the parts for the other textures)
waifu2x
resimg-waifu2x-art-noise1-scale-tta-1.png

waifu2x twice
resimg-2x-waifu2x-art-noise1-scale-tta-1.png
Maybe you could try manually bluring and improving a bit the image before passing it trough ESRGAN?
The example they put on the blog is to downscale the original by half (loss of data but creates a bit of blur) before passing it to the alrogithm. This results in a 2X image size compared to the original. But the result here is... still slightly painterly.
Halved
resimg-half.png

ESRGAN interpolation 0.8 on half
Should try with interpolation 0.4
resimg-half-rlt.png

Edit:
Interpolation 0.4
face-half-rlt.png
Maybe SFTGAN would give a better result? (Doubtful it would help there, but it's supposedly better for foliage)
Maybe a mix of waifu2x, manual blurying/fixing then ESRGAN?
Maybe cut the image in smaller parts and use the best algorithm on each part independently?
It's also faster to process specific parts this way.
face-only.png

Tweaking the interpolation % value can reduce the sharpening noise.
I dunno if any other setting can be changed. (other than using another training set?)

Otherwise, the waifu2x results seem to be the best for this case.

For it to work on pixel-art, you'd need a lot more details and antialiasing. Like this:
That's it running on fine pixel-art. Were there special settings for this one?

Last edited:

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
This is so good. Plase tell me what is the max resolution you can upscale it to? Is there a limit?
There've been a few examples of people taking a good output and feeding it back in, so as long as it looks good the first pass you should be able to loop indefinitely.
Can this be run on the fly or is there texture fanagling at play?

Is it possible to just boot up a rom of say turtles in time and it'll run?
It's way way too slow to be properly real-time. Theoretically an emulator could be made to do something automatically each time new textures come in, but it would need to pause to wait for it to be ready.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid