• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
for formal wear I enjoy bargain hunting for relatively high end stuff at Nordstrom Rack and you can occasionally find a returned Giorgio Armani suit that's on fire sale because it was altered- and I simply pay to have it retailored if it's a littlelonger on pants and cuffs. I've been lucky and gotten absurd bargains that way- including Church's shoes, Bruno Magli and so on. Try it!

So you're that mofo buying up the Bruno's at the Northgate Rack before I can get to them.

OP
OP
PassiveObserver
Oct 27, 2017
Semi-related fashion question:
I like layers, and I kinda like the look of "long-sleeved shirt under short-sleeved shirt" because of the color contrast with the long-sleeved shirt peeking out, but I've avoided doing it because I'm not sure if it's "in" and my mom adamantly assures me that it's not. Who's right? Does that look okay, or avoid at all costs?

I feel like that's not in and could look sophomoric, but I like it aesthetically. I am guilty of doing the open flannel over t-shirt, which I also feel is very youthfully sloppy but fuck it I get hot.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Clothes that fit, for starters.

Tattoos.

Watches.

Bracelets.

Glasses (instead of contacts)

No more graphic tees unless I'm lounging at home

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I had long hair for about 15 years, but it's been thinning out. I cut it short the moment I noticed that I had a bald spot showing up.

Clean shaven all of my life, but last year after spending a couple weeks in Europe for a vacation, I stopped shaving and my wife liked the look, so now I have a short beard.

Clothing hasn't changed. I still wear band and other graphic t-shirts or a button up shirt with jeans or shorts. In colder weather I wear sweaters and jeans or lined pants. It helps that work is business casual, so I can just throw on a polo or button up with some jeans and sneakers.

I stopped wearing contacts and stick to glasses all of the time now. My eyes would start straining after a long day, and since I'm working in front of a computer all day, it would only strain my vision even more.

Nov 11, 2017
I still wear basically the same stuff I did in high school, T-shirt and jeans most days, it helps that I have a job with a very casual atmosphere. Biggest change is that I've been slowly balding over the last 5-10 years and so I've been methodically growing out my beard and cutting my hair shorter and shorter so as to make a seamless transition of all my hair from my head to my chin.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018

Ive probably had a beard off various lengths for about 10 years.

I still wear jeans and t-shirt, in fact I probably wear something like that now more than 20 years ago, when I would always have put on a shirt to go out.

When I was younger, a consideration when dressing up to go out was probably too look "mature", that is obviously not a consideration any more.

I probably wear more expensive clothes now. I always avoid anything with an obvious label. I am still happy to wear something with a cool print on it though.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
44 and usually rock Jordan 1's, tshirt, a blazer(suit jacket) and jeans.

Due to winter, hoody is going over the tshirt and then the blazer/jacket on top.

Last edited:

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Shaved my hair down to a one level considering I'm losing it on the top and front.
My hairline was receding BAD at the temples when I was 25. It was heading towards that horseshoe pattern.

I decided to try Finasteride and it saved my hair. I actually regrew baby hairs in my temples where I had lost a ton of hair, and eventually hit a point where you couldn't tell I was balding at one point.

It served wonders for my confidence, I was angry/sad that I was going bald at such a young age, adding a solid decade to my appearance.

I'm aware side effects hit everyone different, but thankfully I haven't experienced any negative ones in my 4 years of use.

It costs $12/month without insurance.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I usually only dress even business casual for travel or important meetings and I've become fussier about luggage- rocking Tom Binh tristar for medium trips of abouta week- for stowability and practical denuding at security and customs.

I wear glasses now so I have a couple of pairs of Mykita "mylon " glasses for reading and pc stuff. They're extremely light and indestructible.

A) why do you dress up for travel?

B) mykita are really nice, not unbreakable though. I slept on mine last week when drunk and they are fucked!

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
35. Switched from contacts to glasses about seven years ago. Found a barber I liked instead of just taking clippers to my whole head. Cut caffeine from my diet because it was irritating my skin. Finally found a moisturizer that I'm not allergic to. Trying to maintain a healthy diet and exercise plan. Fewer hoodies, more jackets, blazers, and coats -- or coats layered over hoodies. Pretty much given up khaki shorts and flip-flops for good, even in the dead of summer. Button-ups, but always untucked and with rolled sleeves. Belts. Slip-on shoes. Dark wash slim-fit jeans. I still wear graphic tees a lot of the time, but nearly always layered, and I'm more discerning with the quality of the material. After years of disliking most hats, I finally discovered that ivy/newsboy/pub hats look good on me. I also wear fingerless gloves at work 'cause my hands are cold all the time.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A) why do you dress up for travel?

B) mykita are really nice, not unbreakable though. I slept on mine last week when drunk and they are fucked!

a) I dunno. It's mostly irrational. I don't want to look like a loser when I'm traveling in business class, and I've been reliably informed that if you dress nice, you're more likely to be upgraded.
b) Yeah I mean within reason. Sorry about your goggles mang. Only a matter of time before I do that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Very little aside from some minor alterations to my hair cut due to changes to my hairline, but even that is largely the same. People often still think I'm in my mid 20s despite being 32. Overall clothing style and what not hasn't changed a whole lot, I just buy some nicer brands now. Rocking the same stubble to light beard and haven't been clean shaven in over a decade I think.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't changed much.

I'm typing this at my lunch break as a professor/researcher in a public university wearing jeans and a Sigur Rós t-shirt. Tied long hair since 2005 I guess.
Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i cannot even name the brands i wear. i got some old navy jeans, some t-shirts, and usually walk around in nike runners. i do got fancier clothes but eh. no point.

if it's cold outside i just wear a generic slim fit sweater with my jacket and jeans. usually wear these boots i have to keep the toesies warm.

i stopped caring about fashion a whole lot cause at a certain point as long as the clothes are clean, sort of fitted, you don't smell, and it's not super eye popping that folks from a plane overhead gasp in shock then you do alright.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I always wear clean, comfortable, well-fitting clothes. I don't leave the house wearing anything that looks like I might wear it to the gym unless I'm going to the gym. I spend more on haircuts than I did before and get them a little more frequently (at 40, I am fortunate enough to still have all my hair, so I do my best to take care of it). I stay out of the sun as much as I can, pretty much just because I absolutely hate being in direct sunlight unless it's below freezing outside, but it has the added benefit of keeping you from looking older.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My hairline started receding. Other than that, nothing much.

Edit oh my beard, I generally kept stubble in my younger days now it's a short beard.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have to wear glasses, hair is more kept with light product, rather than just have these long bangs and I now own a pair of professional looking shoes that aren't just Vans.

So instead of looking just like a twink skater boy stoner I now look like a professional twink skater boy stoner.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As someone who turned 30 at the beginning of the year, I've made much more of an effort to wear better clothes - specifically, clothes that actually fit. Ill-fitting clothes (too big in some areas, too small in others), aside from being less comfortable, really make you look schlubby. A nice wardrobe refresh can do wonders for your self-confidence, which in turn changes how people perceive you. If you can afford it, investing in better clothes is a great idea. As you get older, putting little effort into your appearance really starts to show and you just kinda look like shit.

Jul 26, 2018
As a 23 year old who still looks very young (many assume I'm a HS student haha), I basically wear the same clothes.. yet I should say i'm getting a bit more fashion.

Heck.. This year i'm on a shopping spree on Vans shoes and thinking about buying my first pair of Air Jordans soon. I even wear my gym clothes out in public sometimes.

I basically have that "celebrity fashion" where I wear flashy clothes, shoes, etc. Heck I even wear gamer graphic clothes too! If I looked a bit older or completely different, I wouldn't wear any of my clothes I have today... but for some reason, my clothes completely suites me.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Not particularly. If I'm in a professional setting I try to look professional. If I feel like wearing glitter makeup to work I'll do it.

Life is short, everything is awful, I try to wear what I want.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 44 and have had a lifelong aversion to logos and corporate branding on anything I wear. Other than that, I refresh my wardrobe every fall and spring. This year I am leaning towards grays punctuated by muted greens, blues, and oranges. I live in Michigan, so fall fashion is in full swing. I actually finished my seasonal shopping last weekend. I think I bought more sweaters than I've ever owned in my life. I guess that is a change. That has more to do with working from home as opposed to age though.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
No crew-neck t-shirts, nothing oversized, and I avoid anything that looks too young. Like those pants I see around that are really snug from the knees down, or super trendy hairstyles, I would never try something like that. Which is funny because as a kid, I always thought it odd that adults don't wear cool clothes. Now I get it (cool changes, and middle aged people dressing like they're 20 usually doesn't qualify)

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 36 and dress the same as i have since i was like 16. Jeans and a t shirt. At work i wear slacks and a button down or a sweater.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 26, haven't really changed my clothes much but I have facial hair all the time now because I truly look like a child without it.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
Swapped glasses for contacts.
Basically stopped wearing T shirts. Longsleeve casual dress shirts for life.
Other than that not much. At 35 I still basically look like I did in high school plus a few grey hairs.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
It hasn't changed, just refined over the years. I invested in many (mostly identical) baseball jerseys in like 2002-03 so I could just keep wearing the same shit constantly for years and years. They're virtually indestructible. I also switched from white socks to black socks in the last 5 years or so (to go with my mostly black jerseys, black long-sleeved undershirts, and black khaki pants.)

I also added an alternate palette with brick red undershirts, grey pants, and brown, brick, or black jerseys and t-shirts some time in the last decade.

Cover with a long coat if it's cold. Wear one of my dozen fitted caps over my shaved (and slowly balding) head.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Grew a beard in my late 20s, kept it since.

Watched friends balding so grew out my hair in early 30s while I still could, now cut it shorter but really curly.

Increasingly generic clothes but with more colour in them.
Wear sunglasses more often, plus reading glasses.
Slowly gaining muscle.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
Lost all my hair on top so now I just keep the rest really, really short. Went from clean shaven to goatee to full beard but I keep the beard pretty short too. I don't really wear graphic Ts anymore. Just stick with a solid color or a subtle design. I still wear shorts in the warmer months and I'm never dropping the comfort of a good pair of sneakers.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I've stopped shaving my chest. For some reason girls are loving my chest hair. Miami Vice style.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've made a lot of changes to my personal style throughout the years. Some things have stayed the same, I've had a beard going on about... 12 years now, and I don't intend to shave ever again really. Mix of preference and style for that. For clothes, I guess I dress like like casual section of a J Crew catalog... Denim basically every day occassionally slacks but rarely because I just own more jeans than slacks, walking sneakers (Nike, Adidas) or dress-down shoes (Cole Hahn, Ben Sherman, etc), button-up shirt, and this time of year usually a sweater or half-zip, or light jacket over. USually wear some sort of patterned socks. Adult haircut, one of those things that blends into my beard.

If you have the money, I'd recommend checking out a clothing service like Trunk Club, through Nordstrom. They match you up with someone who helps shop for you, you don't have to keep the clothes they send you, but they end up sending you styles and clothes that work for you, with good brands / good quality, and it helps get you started with a handful of solid outfits. Then you can mix and match and add items on your own discount shopping.

I started using it about ~5 years ago give or take, and it really helped me figure out what looks worked for me, what brands, cuts, and styles worked for me, what clothes to look for in which sizes, what worked and what didn't. Now I still will get a delivery once every 3 or 4 months, but most of the time I head to Nordstrom Rack, TJ MAxx, or another off-the-rack place and just look for the shirts, jeans, trousers, shoes, etc, that I know work for me in the sizes that work. It's really helped.

It's expensive when you start out because you're going from nothing to a solid wardrobe, but you only have to pay for what you want to keep... ANd a good move is to send stuff back and then go on Ebay, Amazon, or into a store like Nordstrom Rack and find those same clothes they sent you, but for 40% off.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Hoping my hair holds up, but I really think it's going to thin. Lost a ton of weight to get back to highschool weight so that's been an interesting process back at 150 now after reaching as high as 300-310 for a short period of time. other than that it's still jeans and a plain tshirt all the time.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i've had the same style from 24 to 34:

apc jeans & alden boots forever

in the office? button down shirt

elsewhere? grey t shirt + a baseball cap

unfortunately, my hairline has diminished a lot. thankfully i am happily married 😅

Oct 27, 2017
I still dress like I'm in my 20s/teens.

Skate shoes, skinny jeans/khakis, hoodies/tshirts/tank tops etc.

I'll wear a nice button down when we go out but otherwise my style hasn't changed at all haha.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've just stopped wearing "trendy" t-shirts this year as I looked in the mirror one day and just realised "I'm way too old for these." So now it's green/blue/orange running tops (even though I don't run, lol,) though they actually look better, I think.

Would love to "shave head, grow beard", but both look awful... so it's probably a taper fade w/ texture from now until my hair really thins or falls out. lol

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, loss of hair has caused me to shave it off. Beards are in (Had one for multiple decades) so I'm in fashion there. For some reason I feel like an untucked tshirt is sloppy (I don't tuck them into shorts, I'm not an animal) and I wear more polo's and henleys than any sort of branded tshirts too. I do have a bit more fun/carefree style in the summer. Fun shirts/shoes/shorts, etc. But I tend to stay away from shoes like those above.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can shave clean without looking like a 15 year old. Got some laugh lines / deepened angles facial now and it's great because clean face feels sooooo much better than stubble.