• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aged up cast for Persona 6?

• Yay!

Votes: 1,254 76.0%
  • Nay!

Votes: 397 24.0%

• Total voters

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I'm so fucking sick of grown adults lusting after underage high schoolers, calling them their wives & husbands & drawing & sharing NSFW art of them. So I'm 100% for a cast of people who are at the least in their 20s/college age so I don't have to hear any more from those freaks for at least one fucking installment.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I'm so fucking sick of grown adults lusting after underage high schoolers, calling them their wives & husbands & drawing & sharing NSFW art of them. So I'm 100% for a cast of people who are at the least in their 20s/college age so I don't have to hear any more from those freaks for at least one fucking installment.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I voted yay, though I could go either way. I'm not tired of the high school setting, but I'd be pleased if the main cast was older.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
An adult cast would be amazing. I'm just worried Atlus might add an underage romance option, which isn't unlikely at all considering their track record.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm a naysayer, I completely understand why people would want it though. To me, it's integral to Persona as a franchise. I'm all for having more adult characters though, but I do feel like the protagonist should be a high schooler.

Also, I'm like 90 percent sure it's never going to happen anyway.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care either way, but they're never leaving high school, even if they were to place the focus entirely on third-year students instead. The franchise just isn't targeted at older players, with them being a periphery demographic at best.

Either way, would rather see a glimpse of Japanese college routines (based on the relative rarity in fiction and the chance to see the differences compared to US college life) than the drudgery of the awful work/life balance in Japan as far as hypotheticals go. Personally, the prospect of "working on projects for work" couldn't sound more boring, and adults facing the consequences of their youth sounds like it's just replacing one cliche for another.
I think the Persona games' main target audience is mainly high schoolers and it will stay that way. I think that these games will be a better experience if they approach their subject matter with more nuance, depth and maturity, an aspect that has actually been going downhill since P3.
Nuance or depth aren't words I'd use for P3 at all when it treated the subject of death with all of the subtlety with a sledgehammer between the faux gunshot suicide summonings, the bloody coffins to convert anyone who couldn't experience the Dark Hour, how everyone in the cast minus the navigator (even the dog) ended up having a major death serve as their driving force, and having the lead's death be considered necessary to stop the world-ending threat closing out the game's story. Characterizations and scenarios generally didn't seem especially mature in P3 either, minus the stuffy "co-worker" vibe they went for with SEES that made the cast and setting feel largely impersonal.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
What do you loose with a college age cast that you gain with a high school one?
The way I see it there are only benefits.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would like a college or workplace setting to change it up, but this is Atlus. They'll romanticize high school life until the end of time. A cast of 20-30 something would be great and it wouldn't be too hard to relate as fans get older.
I'm tired of solving everyone's problems in high school lol. I've been playing a highschooler for the last 15 years in their games. Its getting old.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
I'm a naysayer, I completely understand why people would want it though. To me, it's integral to Persona as a franchise. I'm all for having more adult characters though, but I do feel like the protagonist should be a high schooler.

Also, I'm like 90 percent sure it's never going to happen anyway.

Is it really integral though?

Take persona 5. The highschool setting is barely utilized.

You spend a majority of your time doing stuff in Tokyo. Most of the story doesn't care about the school setting and a majority of side characters have nothing to do with the school.

Aside from going to class which is the most boring part of the game that just helps you pad your stats the highschool stuff is largely irrelevant.

At least in persona 5 the main purpose of the highschool setting is to be a vehicle for a bunch of shitty anime tropes which I can live without

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yay, never gonna happen but that would be the hope.

Gimme some salarymen/women or uni students. It'd allow more freedom for fresher stories outside of school, new activities and situations. Though im sure they would find a way to include the typical beach and onsen scenes.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I like the high school setting. It makes a softer, less serious experience, and it's nice to live through the high school drama the games portray.

However, I'm fine with an older cast. They did fine with Catherine, it might be a welcoming change of pace.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of teenagers and their trivial problems. I'm all for a more grown up cast and setting, not that it's going to happen, it'll 100% be whiny teens again.

You really think sexual assault, suicide, juvenile sex slaves, and corrupt politicians are "trivial problems"?

EDIT: plus this

Plus artists plagiarizing and discarding their pupils, predatory lenders linked to organized crime, and CEOs exploiting their workers regardless of the costs to said workers' well-being.

Last edited:

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
I really like the high school setting. It´s part of why P5 is one of my favorites.

College would also be as cool. I would like to see them try with a college setting. Older than early 20s/college student... Nay.

I have to say, I´m really surprised with most answers on this thread.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I do not see why not college could not work. Like someone said you barely spend time in the school setting. I mean most of the cast already look college age and strikers has Makoto and Haru in uni so why not?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The reason school setting is so popular is because most Japanese people have 14 hours workdays and children in college are mostly busy with their studies.

Highschool is the last time Japanese people have some sort of freedom.

Yakuza 7 worked but most of that cast don't have a (regular)job. I don't think a persona game with adults would work. most people who think otherwise don't really understand how hard working in Japan is

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I mean, it's likely going to be teenage characters again. I feel like we always have this conversation. lol

An adult cast was only featured in a single game and that one happened to be a direct sequel to one that featured a majority teenaged cast.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
You really think sexual assault, suicide, juvenile sex slaves, and corrupt politicians are "trivial problems"?
Plus artists plagiarizing and discarding their pupils, predatory lenders linked to organized crime, and CEOs exploiting their workers regardless of the costs to said workers' well-being (said CEO also attempting to make his daughter enter into an arranged marriage with a complete scumbag).
I mean, it's likely going to be teenage characters again. I feel like we always have this conversation. lol

An adult cast was only featured in a single game and that one happened to be a direct sequel to one that featured a majority teenaged cast.
And said game was also the worst-selling one in the series.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can go *too* old with it, 'cause there's *big* coming-of-age-story aspects to the series as a whole - both in literal terms *and* in terms of the metaphorical demons they have to fight. University could work, though.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Hell yay, I'd love an age up in Japanese games in general, too many teenage heroes running around.

Oct 27, 2017
The reason school setting is so popular is because most Japanese people have 14 hours workdays and children in college are mostly busy with their studies.

Highschool is the last time Japanese people have some sort of freedom.

Yakuza 7 worked but most of that cast don't have a (regular)job. I don't think a persona game with adults would work. most people who think otherwise don't really understand how hard working in Japan is
Not sure why that matters when Persona barely uses school for anything other than school trips and stuff. You would still go to work then be free to do something after work. Just like the usual Persona games.

An adult setting can work really well. It could open up night exploration and more adult activities when not working.

Same goes to college. How often do we have the characters go studying? It is barely mentioned and schools in Japan do require you to study hard too so that you can get into universities that you want.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Don't care either way, but they're never leaving high school, even if they were to place the focus entirely on third-year students instead. The franchise just isn't targeted at older players, with them being a periphery demographic at best.
Again, I really don't think it isn't targeted at older players when from what data we have so far, they make up the majority of the people playing the game.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Not sure why that matters when Persona barely uses school for anything other than school trips and stuff. You would still go to work then be free to do something after work. Just like the usual Persona games.

There isn't much time for activities when you have working days from 9 till 22:00. There wouldn't be clubs or part time jobs and way less time for social activities.

Working conditions in Japan are much different than in the west

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will happen, but its a shame when Persona 2 has an adult cast. Journalist, detectives, ... It would be amazing a more mature approach.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Voted nay. In actuality would be fine with it. But I am 10 years out of highschool and I still like highschool settings.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
To echo what I said in the other thread, I don't personally care, more mainline persona is all I'm bothered about. I'd take pensioners. But I don't see them deviating too far from the formula when the series is at the height of it's popularity. While us old time fans might find an older cast refreshing, I think they'll see that as a unnecessary risk with their newly acquired fanbase.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
College would be cool for a bunch of reasons. Colleges tend to have darker histories than high schools so there could be some grand conspiracy to explore, the age range is more varied so the team could be more diverse, and they could make the whole campus explorable with things to do everywhere (I know P5's school was explorable but there was little to do).

They could also let you choose all your classes to make things more customisable.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for a Vincent Brooks-esque protagonist. Some 20/30 something. My boomer ass would love it lol.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. I want more games that are from pov of adults for JPRGs but I also appreciate when games are made for kids and teens

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see it, but I doubt it will happen. Persona seems very focused on the high school experience.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
I think with Japan's corporate work culture it could be fun. Totally different themes that would be based off of young employees in a corporation. Of course it'll never happen.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
99% chance of high schoolers. 1% chance of college students. We would like to remind you that there's is 1% margin of error.

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't much time for activities when you have working days from 9 till 22:00. There wouldn't be clubs or part time jobs and way less time for social activities.

Working conditions in Japan are much different than in the west
Not every job has the same work hours though. They can get around this easily.

As for college, so what if there aren't clubs? They can replace this with something else easily. You mention part time jobs and that could be a good replacement as they could have you pick one. There would still be free time after that as well as not every day would be work day and they can also have plot points to make you not required to work like staying at a family member's house or something.

Having an adult character will open up the possibilities for side activities further.