• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This game looks amazing! I absolutely adored AOE 2, like most people, and I can't wait for this. I love the Total War franchise but there is something nice about a game that's completely in real time.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wanted a move to the next chronological age, but this is fine so far. If anything, I'm most concerned about performance and UI design given Relic's more recent offerings.

It's fucking crazy though that we're associating the strong colour saturation with "mobile game visuals". The visual designs for both buildings and civilian + military units suggest the opposite.

For a game with actual cartoon style, see Age of Empires Online, and that was built off Age of Empires III's BANG engine.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks great. Looks extremely familiar as the Age of Empires I know and love but... better.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

Excellent little tidbits in there, with standouts for me being:

• Broader timeline than AoE II, so before the fall of Rome in the west and up to the Renaissance (we could see legionaires at one end and arquebusiers at the other, which would be pretty neat)
  • A new take on singleplayer campaign, again could be great
  • Mongols are confirmed as being unlike what people have played in an Age game before. I'd be very happy if they embraced the weirdness and give them mobile buildings and just a completely different sort of playstyle

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
idk what to think, i have to see more, age 2 remake directly competes with 4, and age 2 lives in my heart, so i feel like idk if i would spend time with 4

You mean AoE2: DE? The remaster?

AoE4 won't be the same gameplay-wise. I don't believe Relic would just implement archaic controls and unit command system. I think they will go with controlling the whole squad, like in Company of Heroes game. I also think we will have really unique and different factions, but there will be less factions overall.

So yeah, this will be something different. Not "direct competition". It will launch in 2021 anyways :d

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I wouldn't say it looks cartoony, more painterly. Definitely stylized but I like it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Looks fucking incredible. I can't wait to spend dozens of hours building cozy towns then getting immediately wrecked by easy AI opponents cause I'm dreadful at warfare.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You mean AoE2: DE? The remaster?

AoE4 won't be the same gameplay-wise. I don't believe Relic would just implement archaic controls and unit command system. I think they will go with controlling the whole squad, like in Company of Heroes game. I also think we will have really unique and different factions, but there will be less factions overall.

So yeah, this will be something different. Not "direct competition". It will launch in 2021 anyways :d
I'm hoping Relic can pull it off while making this not feel like a Relic game. Moving to squads would be a disappointing start to that imo.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The way the town in the video is set up suggests a much different way you build a town - streets etc may point to something a little bit more like Anno?

I hope they still handle everything a lot like aoe2 - with a modern coat of quality of life features of course.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
With it being medieval era i wonder how much they're going to change for the formular.
As it's been 15 years since the last new game i want it to remain oldschool, but simultaniously, if you stay too oldschool, you risk it being a glorified AoE2 Remaster/Remake, of which we already have two now.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Holy crap this looks incredible.

From the trailer I don't know how they're going to balance it properly though, or it's gonna end up being just a visual treat and people will go back to just playing AOE2.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks awesome. Can't wait to play this!

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AOE community thinks this looks like a cartoony free to play mobile game. 🤔
People are dicks. This looks literally perfect and as good as anyone could possibly hope for.

I'm already starting to think about the randomness of AOE maps, and how the potentially the random vertically will effect games.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
With it being medieval era i wonder how much they're going to change for the formular.
As it's been 15 years since the last new game i want it to remain oldschool, but simultaniously, if you stay too oldschool, you risk it being a glorified AoE2 Remaster/Remake, of which we already have two now.

Isgreen mentions in the IGN Live video posted above that the Mongols are a more "extreme" example of a civilisation that offers a unique gameplay experience, so it sounds like each civilisation is going to have its own set of quirks that build upon the base formula in special ways.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The people who say this looks like a mobile game have never played a mobile game in their life. Watch the video at 4k and the level of detail you see there is far beyond what any other strategy game has. To the point that I'm wondering how well this will run.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil

• Broader timeline than AoE II, so before the fall of Rome in the west and up to the Renaissance (we could see legionaires at one end and arquebusiers at the other, which would be pretty neat)
  • Mongols are confirmed as being unlike what people have played in an Age game before. I'd be very happy if they embraced the weirdness and give them mobile buildings and just a completely different sort of playstyle

That's great.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The way soldier units flowed around the city looked really damn good. Need to see how the building stuff works but it certainly looks like a great new AoE game.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018

Yep, there's some nice teasers in there and happy to hear a greater coverage of late antiquity hinted. As I mentioned AoE2 already dabbled in this a bit, but it was kind of a stretch.

Also he mentioned Relic travelled around the world to research each civ.

I know some people would have preferred a new period...but I feel like with the RTS genre having lay fallow for a long time, this is a good opportunity to revisit the Middle Ages. And a luxurious long period of time is better suited to AoE's "Ages", a concept that will hopefully be developed further.

Last edited:

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
RIP original Ensemble's vision, this is sad.
aaoe_3-ucoz-ru__fr_0_3714635-jpg.191859

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I was kinda hoping they'd go into the industrial era, but this is alright too, I suppose. As long as it's a good game, there's nothing to complain about.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is being developed with the mouse and keyboard as the primary input method.

Also I hope to see Age of Mythology with this engine some day!

edit: wait people are comparing this to a mobile game? WTF?? Get your eyes checked, my dude and dudettes.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Welp, guess i know what im playing next year on my new PC.

Shit looks great.

Remind me of when I played total war for the first time on my friends old as Alienware, and was just blown away by how clear and clean everything looked.

Relic is the goat!!!

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by the reaction here. Barely more than 100 posts? I know the trailer was very small but that wasn't a problem for other games.

I've noticed the same... lack of enthusiasm for Total War on the forum. Where is the RTS (and ish) love?!

Well age of empires is kind of a specific series to be honest. While Civilization has always been more popular, age of empires and total war series are kind of the goats for RTS.

And relic has a great track record for RTS games. Also Total war series has done a lot of similar stuff in the past couple entries. So it really clicks with people who love the Age of empire series.

But don't fret, we are here with you :)

RIP original Ensemble's vision, this is sad.
aaoe_3-ucoz-ru__fr_0_3714635-jpg.191859

Relic did WW2 in the form of Company of heroes, even though it was no age of empires.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Well age of empires is kind of a specific series to be honest. While Civilization has always been more popular, age of empires and total war series are kind of the goats for RTS.

And relic has a great track record for RTS games. Also Total war series has done a lot of similar stuff in the past couple entries. So it really clicks with people who love the Age of empire series.

But don't fret, we are here with you :)
Yeah. ERA's RTS/Grand strategy community isn't as big as other places but we are here :)

ERA and the former GAF always felt like it has a primarily a console focus, tbh, so not really surprised that the mostly PC strategy genre isn't as big here.