• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Hype!

How Does This Event Differ from Closed Beta?

If you joined us for the Age IV Closed Beta event in August, welcome back! If you didn't, we're glad to have you this time around.

The Technical Stress Test differs from our Closed Beta in three key ways:

1. Our goals are different! This time around, we're focused on scale testing our servers and systems in preparation for the October 28th release date. One reason we are hosting this event over a single weekend is that we are interested in driving as many people into the Technical Stress Test build as possible during this window to make sure that our matchmaking, lobbies and additional systems hold strong.
  2. The Technical Stress Test will not be gated by an invite! Previously, we had some requirements that won't be necessary this time around. The build will be available in the Xbox Insider Hub app (available in the Microsoft Store) or Steam regardless of whether you're an Age Insider or not. The larger our audience for this Technical Stress Test, the more successful it will be!
  3. We're welcoming all players who meet or exceed our minimum spec. We're introducing additional in-game settings in the Technical Stress Test, which means that you'll be able to join us so long as you meet the Age of Empires IV minimum spec. During this event, the game will automatically detect and select the correct settings based on hardware, including settings specifically included for min spec devices.

How Do I Get Started?

On Friday, September 17th, you should be able to access the build in one of two ways:

• Via the Xbox Insider Hub app on PC. Just check the Preview tab for Age of Empires IV to download the build for the Technical Stress Test.
  • Via the Age of Empires IV base game product page on Steam. You'll see a section titled "Playtest" that will allow you to get started!
Pre-sign up is available now via the Xbox Insider Hub and on Steam. If you have questions about participating in the Technical Stress Test, you can keep an eye out on our FAQ here, which we'll be updating in the days to come.

What's Changed Since the Closed Beta?
A number of tweaks and changes have been made since the Closed Beta in August:

• Changes to the camera distance. Based on closed beta feedback, we have tweaked the maximum distance that the camera can zoom out. This allows for more visibility on-screen while you play.
  • Balance work. For those that joined us, you will notice additional balance work that's gone into both the English and Chinese civilizations.
  • Bug fixes. We always appreciate the community's attention to detail! The closed beta group called out a number of bugs that were impacting visuals, audio, economy and in-game settings that have been fixed in this build.

www.ageofempires.com

Make Your Mark On History with the Age of Empires IV Technical Stress Test - Age of Empires

Join the Age of Empires IV Technical Stress Test from Friday, September 17th, at 10 a.m. PT through Monday, September 20th, at 10 a.m. PT! Sign up now!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Interested to see everyones opinions now that it'll be out in the open. I saw they also responded to the loudest feedback they got (not sure if I'm allowed to say this now, lol) about the zoom levels.

Enjoy everyone. Make sure to play more than a few games.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved age of empires 2 back in the day.

Unfortunately I'm now on Mac, and while almost all strategy games I would want to play are available here, this one is an exception that burns.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm a little surprised the only big change they did was the zoom level. This will be an open-beta without NDA's so it will be refreshing to be able to share how I feel about the game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
As much as I love Age of Empires 2, I can't find myself getting excited for this when it looks so much like a generic mobile game. Of course, there is a lot more to a game than its graphics, and AOE has always been a top notch RT strategy series, so I'm still at least looking forward to impressions and footage.

I really don't see why people say it looks like a mobile game. To me it looks more like playing a game inside a pastel painting.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Here's to hoping they took the plethora of UI feedback to heart.

For one, the lack of global production/research queues is a baffling omission in addition to the overproduced unit icon design.

If you're not going to use art or model portraits, any alternative is better served by concept symbolism instead of the crappy outline icons shown off so far.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
As much as I love Age of Empires 2, I can't find myself getting excited for this when it looks so much like a generic mobile game. Of course, there is a lot more to a game than its graphics, and AOE has always been a top notch RT strategy series, so I'm still at least looking forward to impressions and footage.

Good thing that it plays exactly like an Age game then. That's all I can say.

Crypt Keeper

Banned
Aug 9, 2021
User Banned (3 Days): Ableist Rhetoric
Here's to hoping they took the plethora of UI feedback to heart.

For one, the lack of global production/research queues is a baffling omission in addition to the overproduced unit icon design.

If you're not going to use art or model portraits, any alternative is better served by concept symbolism instead of the crappy outline icons shown off so far.
Some Graphic Designer at Relic thought that Flat Design was Minimalist Design and went full retard on it

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see it on Steam also.

Also specs

Minimum System Requirements
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

• Processor: Intel Core i5-6300U or AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Graphics: Intel HD 520 or AMD Radeon RX Vega 11
  • DirectX: Version 12
Recommended Requirements

• CPU: 3.6 GHz 6-core (Intel i5) or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce 970 GPU or AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU with 4GB of VRAM
  • VRAM: 4GB
  • DirectX: Version 12

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Access to the Steam version can be gained by requesting access via the button on the Steam Store page. You'll be automatically approved.

aoe4stu9kh4.jpg

Edit: Oh, confirmation is manual. But, yeah, you'll get in, once someone realises they pressed the wrong button. I myself am waiting despite pre-ordering and being part of the previous beta.

Last edited:

BaileyBLM

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Insider app seems to be the fastest way to get in. Just signed up for it and pretty much immediately said Show in Store where I was able to download it

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Tried trough Steam but no luck yet. Will probably do it through the windows app. Will want to know the big differences from the previous Beta.

Since it's open I can fully express my views. I'm a firm believer they should delay the game. If this comes out half-baked (which it seems like it) I think it will kill both AOEIV and AOEII

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Tried trough Steam but no luck yet. Will probably do it through the windows app. Will want to know the big differences from the previous Beta.

Since it's open I can fully express my views. I'm a firm believer they should delay the game. If this comes out half-baked (which it seems like it) I think it will kill both AOEIV and AOEII

I don't agree, but why would it kill AoE2?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its good they nerf it hard. Nerf it and see how it does. Maybe its to much. Then up it again for full release. And you found the sweetspot.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't agree, but why would it kill AoE2?

I wrote an enormous well-formatted post on the insiders forums but I've since lost access to them.

When I say it will kill AOE2, I mean the competitive scene (so ranked play).
But the gist of the idea is that AOEII has been revitalized because of the Pro Scene and the influx of funds from the community and Microsoft. Once AOEIV releases, those funds are transferring to AOEIV for a short period of time and then we reach the point where most pros will have to decide if they stick with AOEIV or AOEII.

I believe if AOEIV is not GREAT, the community will basically be fragmented to the point we will go back to the AOE2HD days.

I dont have a lot of time right now to go full depth, I wish I could find the post haha

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
playing it right now, huge unit delay on commands, graphics are pretty ugly for the performance. Just feels like a worse AoE2. Not feeling it.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Lirik is just starting to play it if anyone would like to watch how it looks, plays and performs
www.twitch.tv

LIRIK - Twitch

We like to play everything, relax, and have a good time.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I still think we should be able to zoom out farther. And the fact they still have the Technical Stress Test floating around is kind of dumb, this is open stream..