• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I played AoE3 more than any other AoE but I just can't get back into this at the moment. I booted it up and started the campaign and immediately felt RTS fatigue. I don't have the same brain I used to back in the day and I don't have the skill to manage so much. Thanks to Gamepass for letting me realize that for free, though.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Loving this actually. Haven't played since having to hack config files to disable to water animation on the start menu as my Windows 2000-era laptop just couldn't handle it LOL

I really wish Ensemble had done Halo Wars more like AoE III. Would have been perfect.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
The performance for me is weird. Running a GTX 1070, i7 7700K, 16GB RAM with settings on High at 1080p, and for some reason I can't get above 55fps. Doesn't matter if I lower settings, doesn't matter if I turn off vsync, it never goes above 55. So I get noticeable stutter when moving the camera around as I only have an old 60Hz monitor.

EDIT: Oh, as soon as I post this I eventually find a thread about it on Steam where they were aware of this and released a hotfix today. Though I'm playing it via Game Pass and I'm not sure if that has the fix yet (I've not seen any updates or anything).
I saw lots of mentions for this, glad to hear it's potentially resolved.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
AoE2 is the GoaT rts, but 3 is still a great one. I enjoy it a lot more than the first game. As great as it was for its time, AoE1 is very hard to go back to, even the DE version.

I've done a chunk of campaign missions and am having fun with it. Yes, it's silly and historically inaccurate, but I actually quite like the change of pace from previous games, with a heavier focus on storyline. The voice acting can be pretty entertaining too lol

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Ah, I'm gonna watch this. Interested to see if there's a reason for all the negative reviews on Steam.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This turned out great, boy does it look good. Runs great for me at 1200p with my R5 2600/RX 570 combo.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see my historically accurate Dutch Samurai (Saloon Ronin Card) strat is still alive and well lol. A 400 gold unit on a civ that booms like crazy on gold? Yes please.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Great! I was wondering where this OT was.

Game is great so far, nice deal for low price.

There are two issues I am having. I can't reassign the camera movement keys. Also the music is weird where it randomly increases and decreases in the volume. Team is aware of both issues.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Great! I was wondering where this OT was.

Game is great so far, nice deal for low price.

There are two issues I am having. I can't reassign the camera movement keys. Also the music is weird where it randomly increases and decreases in the volume. Team is aware of both issues.

Ah, I thought I was experiencing that audio issue. Glad to know I'm not losing my hearing!

Nov 11, 2017
I have been playing a lot of ranked Aoe2 the past few months. I can't think of a single change made that is better in this sequel but I am still enjoying playing it again. The music and sound hitting nostalgia hard and the quite cannons are satisfying.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Really is such a good looking game. Only thing holding it back is the animations. Everything else looks fantastic, whether zoomed fully out or up close.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, Microsoft's CDN on PC is soooo slow. I'm downloading the game via GamePass Ultimate, so it's not via Steam.

I'm on a 300mbit line, the download is constantly dropping to sub 200KB/s

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, Microsoft's CDN on PC is soooo slow. I'm downloading the game via GamePass Ultimate, so it's not via Steam.

I'm on a 300mbit line, the download is constantly dropping to sub 200KB/s
this is kind of wild, but for developer tools i've found switching to a vpn in another location (ie the UK or something) leads to massive download speed increases

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
this is kind of wild, but for developer tools i've found switching to a vpn in another location (ie the UK or something) leads to massive download speed increases

This is so horrible. I clicked download YESTERDAY in the afternoon. Like, sure, my PC went to sleep after a while and i only booted it back up again 3 hours ago. But Holy Moses!

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
The more I play both singleplayer and multiplayer (with mates against AI) the more broken issues keep popping up. While the first DE was a shocker and II's DE had some issues, I'm surprised at the amount of bugs cropping up in in this DE.

With campaigns, things like cutscenes missing entire characters and models have been a thing. I've had this skirmish (happens in multiplayer too) bug where the Chinese War Academy's top row of unit upgrades literally disappears during a game. I recall a dev talking about fixing the cliff blending, but now there's plenty of instances where units somehow ascend onto them and can't move off. Attack move sometimes fails completely, and there's plenty of moments where the harder AI just stalls on the offensive, remaining passive for the rest of the game until you decide to assault their base/colony.

A fair amount of changes and improvements are welcome, but the growing list of bugs/issues might honestly rival the base changelog list. There's even non-UI bugs showing up that never occurred in the legacy game. MS and the devs need to commit resources to addressing these because there's at least 2-3 months of fixes needed, not the mention the SPC (campaigns etc.) stuff that can be easily ignored or missed.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This game's buggy as all hell.

It happened TWICE to me now that i hit "continue", got the loading screen for an entirely different mission (once for some Indian campaign, once for a Japanese) ... then i completed my regular (campaign, Morgan Black Act 1, "Treasure Fleet") mission.
The next mission that starts is some mission very late into the Japanese campaign ...

Like, i'm 32% into the Asian Dynasties content, just by the game doing some weird sequence break shit.
9RXGOqR.jpg

Also, i gotta replay the previous mission because i didn't do any quicksaves, there's no autosaving and the (actual) next mission didn't unlock 🤷‍♂️

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
^Seems like a fairly common issue unfortunately. I haven't had that particular problem, but I've had 2 or 3 cutscenes bug out, with triggers just not going off it seems. Have to hit esc to skip it.

I'm enjoying the game a lot though, despite the bugginess. Haven't played it in a long time and never got as familiar with it's concepts or civs as I was with AoE2. I know the general overview of the noob-friendly vanilla AoE3 civs (like British and Spanish), but have no idea what I'm doing with civs like the Lakota, China or Aztecs. Would take quite a while to figure each civ out I think.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Did I miss something or is there no difficulty slider in the game? It's been a while since I've played the original but has there never been one?

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Did I miss something or is there no difficulty slider in the game? It's been a while since I've played the original but has there never been one?
For campaign/historical battles/art of war, there is a drop down menu where you can select between standard (bronze), moderate (silver) and hard (gold).

For skirmish games, you can select between 6 difficulty levels on the game setup section on the right hand side. You can also tick 'player handicap' and then adjust each individual player using a slider to have a gathering bonus between 0% & 100%.

On another note, since ranked multiplayer seems bugged since the update (not recording my wins/losses and not changing my ranked score), I've still been focusing on the single player stuff. Finished the Vanilla campaigns and most of the way through the War Chiefs one. They're pretty decent, nice for something different and there's some pretty unique scenarios. I've really enjoyed the Historical Battles so far though, would've loved more of that.