• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
capsule_616x353.jpg

👩‍💻 Developer: Forgotten Empires in collaboration with Tantalus
🎮 Platforms: PC (Gamesplanet, Steam, WinStore)
🏷️ Price: $19.99/€19.99/£14.99 or your regional equivalent* (standard edition); $44.98/€42.73/£33.73 or your regional equivalent* (Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition + Age of Empires III bundle); $44.97/€44.97/£33.72 or your regional equivalent* (Age of Empires Definitive Collection bundle)
📅 Release date: October 15th, 2020

* Pricing on platforms/stores other than Steam may vary.

📖 About:
Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition completes the celebration of one of the most beloved real-time strategy franchises in definitive form with enhanced features and modernized gameplay.

Command mighty civilizations from across Europe and the Americas or jump to the battlefields of Asia in stunning 4K Ultra HD graphics and with a fully remastered soundtrack.

Now featuring two new game modes: Historical Battles and The Art of War Challenge Missions, including all previously released expansions and all 14 civilizations, plus two brand new civilizations – the Swedes and Inca.

Head online to challenge other players with updated online multiplayer with cross network play and enjoy modern gaming features including spectator modes and mod support.

Complete your collection with this final chapter in the Age of Empires Definitive Edition journey.

📷 Screenshots:

🎞️ Trailers:
Announcement
Launch

✍️ Reviews:
Era review thread
Metacritic (75)
OpenCritic (79)

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

They have thankfully.

I mean strong economy with houses being shrines, strong army and they get even more stuff on top of that? There will be a balance patch soon I reckon (I wanna know how they tweaked the other civs).

Sweden is always overpowered in any game. But yeah should be fun!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I can now easily beat multiple hard AI in skirmish. Next step is to improve my build orders so I can compete online.

It's a great game.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh great! Have to download this and play it again. Only played original + War Chief expansions a couple of years ago, but really liked it

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
On high zoom settings, things honestly become quite blurry compared to lower zoom levels.

Would this be due to the AA implementation? I hope this is addressed because the clarity for buildings and units (especially those behind buildings or near environmental foliage, not to mention similar unit types) appears quite poor compared to the original game.

I do have reservations about the audio. Selecting a Fort-related building sound like an awful trumpet going off, with both building cannon and collapse noises (akin to knocking down bowling alley pins) coming across as quite badly done. I'm sure this can be addressed in due course.

I'm keen for release, but the streaming beta build did have its fair share of bizarre pathfinding fuck ups, attack move failures, and bugs that left units stuck in cliffs or Trade sites.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm keen for release, but the streaming beta build did have its fair share of bizarre pathfinding fuck ups, attack move failures, and bugs that left units stuck in cliffs or Trade sites.

My review version had these issues. Almost every match I had units stuck on cliffs or inside a trading post. And more than once a settler refused to build things.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really looking forward to this. Never played the original AOE games but really digging these remasters. Yay Gamepass!

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I can't remember but I think I liked this one the best in the series. Thankfully I have Game Pass.

AtticNotes

Oct 28, 2017
On high zoom settings, things honestly become quite blurry compared to lower zoom levels.

Would this be due to the AA implementation? I hope this is addressed because the clarity for buildings and units (especially those behind buildings or near environmental foliage, not to mention similar unit types) appears quite poor compared to the original game.
It's the temporal AA. A modder showed me it can be disabled. Let's hope they add that as an option, if not replace it with better AA.

Last edited:

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Did a quick play of the first campaign mission.

Yeah, I'm having a ton of fun with this. AoE is the only AoE that I've never really played. Really looking forward to digging into this.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Holy crap, the game is 42gigs?!
Is it the 4k assets that's taking up all that space?
If so I really really hope we can delete those as I have no interest in 4k.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Wow im surprised this game isnt getting more attention here, it's beautiful on my razer laptop.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
I see Steam reviews complaining about performance issues even on higher-end machines. (Taking those with a grain of salt, but has anyone tinkered with this yet?)

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This is the one that was really ahead of its time (for better or for worse) with the whole progression system in the online multiplayer right? I remember hearing about that.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
A lot of negative reviews on Steam due to performance. I'm not having a lot of problems tbh. Other people here do?

This is the one that was really ahead of its time (for better or for worse) with the whole progression system in the online multiplayer right? I remember hearing about that.

They took the progression system out of multiplayer and skirmish.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Uh, wait... that's the same image I linked to in my reply to your initial post yesterday. Did you not click on it before responding? I thought "They have, thankfully" meant you'd already seen it, haha.

Is it?

Huh. It wasn't there when I replied. Maybe I'm just going mad, wouldn't surprise me tbh.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is still on the first page? Disappointing, era...

Really enjoyed my first couple hours with the release version, went through a few Art of Wars, a bunch of story campaign missions and the first historical battle. Looks fantastic.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This thread is still on the first page? Disappointing, era...

Really enjoyed my first couple hours with the release version, went through a few Art of Wars, a bunch of story campaign missions and the first historical battle. Looks fantastic.

Era doesn't have much love for real time strategy games, sadly.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Game is great, but it definitely still has issues.

AI feels like it hasn't been updated at all. They are still useless in water maps and sometimes will have their villagers come at you in a straight line to all die.

Also, It doesn't have a true fullscreen, only borderless. It's rough for someone with two screens.

Aug 31, 2019
I have the Complete Edition on Steam, Gamepass will help me to check if my old laptop can run this Definitive Edition at least in a playable state so I can upgrade my version on Steam

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I see Steam reviews complaining about performance issues even on higher-end machines. (Taking those with a grain of salt, but has anyone tinkered with this yet?)

The performance for me is weird. Running a GTX 1070, i7 7700K, 16GB RAM with settings on High at 1080p, and for some reason I can't get above 55fps. Doesn't matter if I lower settings, doesn't matter if I turn off vsync, it never goes above 55. So I get noticeable stutter when moving the camera around as I only have an old 60Hz monitor.

EDIT: Oh, as soon as I post this I eventually find a thread about it on Steam where they were aware of this and released a hotfix today. Though I'm playing it via Game Pass and I'm not sure if that has the fix yet (I've not seen any updates or anything).