• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
b17ad738dd814ee83fd909bf4ac59e7f7c3a6f37.jpeg

From the official forums... https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/upcoming-age-iii-de-beta-sessions-read-all-about-them/67530

Hello and Happy New Year, Age Insiders! We thought we'd start this year off by sharing some exciting news with you all first. Starting early next month, we'll begin inviting select Insiders to beta various elements of Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition 407!

If you joined us for the Age II: DE closed beta last year, we'll be structuring things a bit differently this time around. Instead of one longer closed beta with a gradually expanding audience, we'll be splitting the Age III: DE beta into several different, shorter sessions, which will feature focused slices of the game.

Take some time before Jan. 28 to polish up your Insider settings via your Profile and let us know what and where you like to play! And remember: whether you're invited to an Age III: DE beta session or not, there will be loads of other ways to take part as an Insider.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
woah they are actually making this? are they adding new civs and campaigns like they did with part 2?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
woah they are actually making this? are they adding new civs and campaigns like they did with part 2?

We haven't heard anything about it so it probably won't be a substantial upgrade like II DE.

Hoping I'm wrong though.

I at least hope that they fix the experience cap. You maxed out that cap halfway into a 6 player match, missed out on so much EXP which meant a lot more grinding.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is going to be more like AoE DE than AoE2 DE. Not a lot of changes to the original game+expansions, mostly just visual improvements and support for modern hardware. AoE2 has always been the most popular game in the series so it getting special treatment isn't unexpected.

Wouldn't mind being wrong though. New content would probably get my to buy this instead of being on the fence/passing.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is going to be more like AoE DE than AoE2 DE. Not a lot of changes to the original game+expansions, mostly just visual improvements and support for modern hardware. AoE2 has always been the most popular game in the series so it getting special treatment isn't unexpected.

Wouldn't mind being wrong though. New content would probably get my to buy this instead of being on the fence/passing.
This is my take. The Forgotten Empires people are largely AoEII devotees, which is why their whole fan xpack thing came to be to begin with.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'd expect it for release towards the end of the year. AOE2 was in testing for awhile too although not publicly like this one seems to be. soo maybe sooner?

AOE 1 DE 2018
AOE 2 DE 2019
AOE 3 DE 2020
AOE 4 2021

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'd expect it for release towards the end of the year. AOE2 was in testing for awhile too although not publicly like this one seems to be. soo maybe sooner?

AOE 1 DE 2018
AOE 2 DE 2019
AOE 3 DE 2020
AOE 4 2021

That is a wet dream

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

AOE 1 DE 2018
AOE 2 DE 2019
AOE 3 DE 2020
AOE 4 2021

AOE dev I talked to at X019 said they are planning mid-2020 for AOE3 and 2021 for AOE4, but the dates weren't final.

Personally I'm happy to see 3 come back too, while it may not have been the best game of the trilogy it was still an excellent RTS on its own that is worth preserving. The trains added a great strategic option, and that building destruction tech... *chef kiss*

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to see what they've changed/upgraded/added! Although the gameplay is no AoE2 (what is?!), it was a very good RTS in it's own right, with fantastic graphics, music and sound design. Hopefully I'll have a new PC by the time this comes out, I doubt my current one can handle it!

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Curious to see how it is. AoE 3 was already a pretty great looking game. It was good too, just with a few quirks.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Very curious on the content, I don't think it needs much QOL improvements (e.g. HP bars appearing when objects damaged, UI enhancements etc.) like AoE II's DE, which took a whole bunch from Ensemble's 3D games.

Mythology needs a DE too, as like II, both Extended/HD Editions were rubbish, especially at launch.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Mythology needs a DE too, as like II, both Extended/HD Editions were rubbish, especially at launch.

That seems to be happening:

From the first E3 2019 blog post:

Recently, we announced three of our Definitive Editions will be coming to Steam, giving our community the choice of where they want to play.

Curious phrasing considering there are only three DEs. ;)

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't realise they where making AOE 3 DE. Kinda liked some of the aspects of 3 so be up for playing again on gamepass.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see how it is. AoE 3 was already a pretty great looking game. It was good too, just with a few quirks.

Man, when it first came out, the physics/destruction blew me away, and that water... My poor PC struggled but I still had a good time.

Yeah it has its flaws but I'm excited to go back, especially since I only played the first campaign mission.