• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
And yes, I did demand click/drag scrolling in every Age game.

It's not in Age IV just yet, and I cry inside a bit every time I can't use it.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man I wish the Age of Mythology "remaster" had this kind of work put into it instead of being a barely passable port of the original. This looks fantastic.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
damn, this looks great. Think of the things they showed at E3, this might be the one I'm most hyped about tbh

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
I love the little changes they're making, especially the one where the AI knows you don't want to select villagers or animals when you're selecting army units. IDK how much time I'll dedicate to this when it'll come out, but it is one my favorite games of all times, so at least I'll try it on game pass.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I wish the Age of Mythology "remaster" had this kind of work put into it instead of being a barely passable port of the original. This looks fantastic.

Age of Mythology HD was supposed to be a port of the original, just like Age of Empires II HD was a port of the original.
This is a full-on remake with updated graphics (iirc it uses 3D models instead of the original's 2D sprites), plus additional and new content like campaigns and playable factions.

So comparing DE, as a full remake, to an HD remaster/port is kind of questionable.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully we'll get a Empire Earth remaster someday too, AoE and EE were my favorite RTS's back in the day.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Age of Mythology HD was supposed to be a port of the original, just like Age of Empires II HD was a port of the original.
This is a full-on remake with updated graphics (iirc it uses 3D models instead of the original's 2D sprites), plus additional and new content like campaigns and playable factions.

So comparing DE, as a full remake, to an HD remaster/port is kind of questionable.
It's a remake... but it's the same engine.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a remake... but it's the same engine.

That doesn't go against my point. AoM HD is a remaster - i.e. a port that's upscaled so it runs on HD systems. Comparing it to AoE2 DE and saying that it's lackluster because DE has more meat is kind of weird, especially since AoE2 HD also exists, and it got basically the same treatment that AoM HD had.

I'm sure that if AoM got a proper remake, it would also come with more meat like DE is getting.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That doesn't go against my point. AoM HD is a remaster - i.e. a port that's upscaled so it runs on HD systems. Comparing it to AoE2 DE and saying that it's lackluster because DE has more meat is kind of weird, especially since AoE2 HD also exists, and it got basically the same treatment that AoM HD had.

I'm sure that if AoM got a proper remake, it would also come with more meat like DE is getting.

I'm not asking for a full remake, I'm asking for AoM "HD" (AoM already ran at HD resolutions on the original version) to have something added to it to justify the extra cost, as well as the multitude of bugs it has to be fixed.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not asking for a full remake, I'm asking for AoM "HD" (AoM already ran at HD resolutions on the original version) to have something added to it to justify the extra cost, as well as the multitude of bugs it has to be fixed.

I don't disagree that they should have at least fixed the bugs, absolutely, they had plenty of opportunity with the additional expansion they added for the HD version, but failed to do it for some reason.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
I can see some QOL improvements from AoM and AoE III (e.g. player-coloured healthbars).

Will there be a drag selection option for military units only like those titles too?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it will be on steam will help enormously. Age of empires 1 remake got seriously hurt by the windows store exclusivity.

AoE1 remake got seriously hurt by being rushed out the door, missing key features and having tons of bugs

I hope AoE2DE turns out better at release and they don't pull another "oh, we totally improved the pathfinding" when it's actually totally unfinished and broken.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any word of netcode changes or improvements? Thats the big issue. Relying on early 2000s P2P becomes unbearable late game, where as the armies grow larger the inputs become more laggy and delayed. It feels awful.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
AoE1 remake got seriously hurt by being rushed out the door, missing key features and having tons of bugs

I hope AoE2DE turns out better at release and they don't pull another "oh, we totally improved the pathfinding" when it's actually totally unfinished and broken.

It isn't ever getting revisited is it....

Is it coming to steam at all ever? Maybe then?

Javetus

Feb 23, 2019
I can't wait for this to be released, I need something to distract me while AoE IV comes out.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't ever getting revisited is it....

Is it coming to steam at all ever? Maybe then?

The game received a good amount of patches. I think the one with the new achievements last month was the 10th update and it was actually pretty solid. Didn't notice any major bugs or issues that I had with the game last year.

Also, what JaseC said.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
"Soon". Coincident with its addition to Game Pass, I'd guess.
The game received a good amount of patches. I think the one with the new achievements last month was the 10th update and it was actually pretty solid. Didn't notice any major bugs or issues that I had with the game last year.

Also, what JaseC said.

Appreciate the responses. Still a bit unsure with hearing from some people that some encounters have been changed for the worse, but as I mostly only played the AoE in LAN parties where I always lost, I don't know if that'll affect me too much. Still, that is really unfortunate that they'd meddle in the level design. I just heard some people talking about this and I know someone posted about it here on ERA as well at some point but I'm not sure when.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to be great.

Now what I really want to know is what kind of upgrade is AOE3 going to get, the original game already had impressive destruction physics, and overall was a beautiful game, so I don't know if Forgotten Empires is just going to upgrade the textures and models and call it a day, or give us something very impressive

The greatest boy

Alt account
Banned
May 31, 2019
I loved this game so much as a kid. I remember playing the RPG custom made adventures with my internet friends....some of my earliest and fondest memories of online multiplayer.