• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Off the top of me skull: Auto-reseed/retrap buttons, resource quantity bars, keybinds and modern QWER hotkeys, overflow bar for all in-progress techs and age-ups, tech-up animation on buildings, modern hp bar display modes, modern shift-queue functionality, gatherers have much larger resource seeking behaviors, villagers no longer instantly lose resources if you accidentally click another resource, you can shift-queue farm construction and one villager will assign itself as each completes (and multiple villagers tasked to one farm will spread out to others in general).

Also, you can queue up units and techs simultaneously, ala AoM.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Another day... Another scenario from the Campaign down... This time was The Lombard League...

Those pesky Italians and their reiterated attacks to my villagers eco (build from scratch)... And on top of that I have to build a Wonder inside one of their cities?...

After many beatdowns and the second time so far I'm forced to savepoint... I said fuck it... Let's destroy everyone starting with Venice and their annoying ships. After build some fast fire ships and stabilize my eco, send some vils and castle drop on Padua to raid their annoying bows and cavaliers... Make some trebs to clean green... Venice soon resigned and Padua was obliterated... Since Henry was so kind to backstab me again in the enemy early raids, my sight was put on the west, and since Verona is in the middle of the road... Let's crush it with more trebs and teutonic knights...

I send my villagers to others sides to collect the resources I need for more castle drops and more trebs since Henry is capable to spam Knights, champions and rams (which destroy some of my castles)...

With all the map covered and one Verona building remaining (since I killed everyone), finally made my mind and was ready to build the Wonder but some of my ship destroy the building and the game is over... XD...

Next time... It's Crusade Time... XD

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Finished AoE 1 DE single-player campaigns, which are pretty fun but had some ridiculously difficult scenarios.

I installed AoE 2 DE a couple days ago just to check it out quick and so far I'm equally impressed by the changes and additions in it. It's pretty cool that the 2013 re-release is also still avaiable and I wish more remasters were done that way by companies. I.E., Make the original games compatible on modern systems, then provide a remaster.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Soph's AoE Chronicles: Genghis Khan 6 Pax Mongolica
Difficulty: Hard
Attempts: 1

The last scenario of the campaign consists of an intrepid show of force against the Hungarians. We have ample time to build up our base.. wait for Subotai for 40 minutes and crush the Hungarians. Small caveat however; the included achievement wants us to destroy the Hungarian castles and town centers before Subotai arrives.. making the timer an actual deathclock. Oh well.. we really want that achievement, even though we didn't have them fire a few times in our other campaigns. Surely every bug would be fixed by now right?

We start in the north of the map on the east bank of the river splitting the map into two. There is one bridge to cross into Hungary, who reside in the southeast as the Magyars in purple. We begin in the imperial age with a castle already build and some guard towers between the bridge and our camp. The Hungarians have a modest town on the other side with at least two town centers and two castles. Destroying these should be the primary path towards victory. Our illustrious invasion force consists of a small cavalry contingent of mangudai and light cavalry, supported by some saboteur dynamite boys.

We should probably try and hurry a bit, so a fast boom is to be optimal. I'm not great at booming out of three town centers though, so we only build one extra on the woodline to the east near the deer. We use our beautiful mongol hunting bonus to get food intake fast, creating villagers at will. Eco upgrades for the various resources should be gotten first while trying to aim for fully upgraded mangudai in the long run (what else?). Another very important upgrade to gun for is siege ram along with the mongol castle tech "Drill" to get those beautiful speedy gonzales siege rams riding along with your mangudai.

Hungary will attack with quite the force about 7 minutes into the scenario and you'll typically find yourself getting trashed if you just send in your starting army without micro. You can fight underneath the guard towers.. while strafing around and making sure your lightcav charges the incoming siege and the mangudai use skirmishing tactics of hit and run on the rest. If you're not able to win with this smaller army in a consistent manner, you can always blow up some of your saboteurs on the bridge for splash damage. I feel these forces are better used against buildings though, but to each their own. After killing the initial wave of Hungarians, they attack with smaller contingents every few minutes.

I solidify our hold on the mouth of the bridge by building two castles and six siege workshops in the area. The leftover saboteurs go on an adventure together into the Pannonian basin, throwing themselves gleefully into the exploding towers. Streams of units get produced for the final push, mostly consisting of mangudai and siege rams, supported by a trebuchet or two. At the 20 minute mark we cross the river into Hungary with our army of siege rams speeding into the fortifications, while the mangudai wipe away any Magyar trying to break the rams.

The first castle, near the bridge, falls very fast and we rush our army into town. There is one other castle along with a town center in the north, as well as another town center in the south of the Hungarian base. The fighting gets really heavy here, with losses being inevitable. We keep the replenishment coming from the castles and workshops to counter. The mass siege rams utterly flatten the base and before we know it we're actually already besieging the last town center.

You are Victorious.. Achievement Get!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Another Hera vs TheViper Grand Finals tournament set right now

This game 3 is absolutely insane right now.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
My only problem with the Mongol campaign... is that they didn't give me more missions lol

This Viper Hera series is bananas. I thought I would see the entire series before my VtM game started, but now there's two hours until that point and game 2 JUST finished. Absurd lategame sets, love Viper leaning fully into Malay with trash Two-Handed Swordsmen and woodless food econ with the special fishtraps.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Very excited for HC3, the level of play in Aoe2 right now is marvelous.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Oh man... finally a buff for the Goths... :)... Probably I'm gonna see how the high level players use the civ balances in HC3...

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
February 27th update: https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe2de-update-35584/

- Auto-scouting
- Anniversary event
- Player reporting
- Balance changes
- Many general improvements and bug fixes.
Nice! Lot of meat here, including the much-desired buffs to the lower tier civs (Vietnamese not spending wood on eco upgrades is massive, and they needed massive).

Mongols getting slightly slower hunting but Steppe Lancers is incredible. Can't wait to see who uses them.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Mongol Step Lancers you say? Time to replay the Mongol Campaign! Great update, the player reporting was very much needed. Genitour buff <3

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Mongol Step Lancers you say? Time to replay the Mongol Campaign! Great update, the player reporting was very much needed. Genitour buff <3
Ooh, that's an excellent idea! Mangudai-Steppe Lancer composition would be fun, especially on those long missions like Into China.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff, haven't played with Tatars for a while so will be interesting now.

Forgotten Empires deserves more recognition, they are just killing it. TheViper was also praising their efforts on his stream today.

I don't know when they'll stop the monthly updates but I'll enjoy it now until then. And it'll be interesting to see how much love AOE 3 gets in comparison.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Late March Update:

www.ageofempires.com

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition — Update 36202 - Age of Empires

Happy Monday, everyone! We hope you're staying healthy and happy, and think we have just the thing to help you part the clouds of March: a new UPDATE and a
Kickass updates! Happy to see Steppe Lancers buffed, and Tatars getting love is warranted. Will be interesting to see when/if Flaming Camels will be able to counter lategame Paladin or Elephant massing. For the right price and tech requirement, I think it's certainly possible.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Lo and behold.. we're back after a forced hiatus

Soph's AoE Chronicles: Battles of the Conquerors: Vinlandsaga
Difficulty: 1 Sword / Hard
Attempts: 2

This scenario attempts to follow the almost mythical chronicles of sir Erik the Red in his supposed voyages of exploration towards Greenland and the Americas, what has later been referred to as Vinland in the sagas. It's full of historical inaccuracies though, Erik himself never actually went to Vinland, he did however manage to get to Greenland and found some settlements there. His son Leif Eriksson was the bold explorer that would make the trip from Greenland into Vinland itself and even build a settlement there as well. Anyhow let's not fret too much on the details, we have a scenario to play!

I remember being particularly fond of the easy going nature of this scenario.. so obviously we started out leisurely building up our base on Iceland. It's one of the few dark age starts, with plentiful deer and fish around. A few piles of rock and trees scattered here and there make up the rest of our pitiful resources. Our starting army consists of the Hero Erik the Red and his two berserker friends, obviously if Erik dies we fail the scenario. Let's make sure that doesn't happen. We know the British(Britons) in blue live to our south on an island.. which are ripe for raiding. Other enemies consist of Skraelings(Celts) somewhere in Vinland and of course Greenland(Vikings).

Wait what..Vikings in Greenland? Isn't Erik supposed to discover Greenland and build some settlements there? You're telling me it's already settled? Ah well.. let's just have some fun. It seems Greenland starts with a cavalry unit on Iceland as well.. which we quickly dispatch with our three ironclad warriors. Wait Viking cavalry? Ah no matter.. it's just a game. While hunting some yummy reindeer to stuff our bellies and building some fishing ships we hear the howls of packs of wolves on the prowl. They are coming to attack our village! We quickly garrison our squishy settlers and let berserker steel go against hide and tooth. Wait a minute... wolves.. in Iceland how would they even get there? Ah well.. probably just some of our own domesticated dogs who caught rabies. It's just a game. Let's have some fun!

We go up to feudal age after covering the island in cute woodcutting and deer hunting hamlets, later turning into farming outcrops surrounding a mill. We're told to raid the pitiful British to the south for gold as we lack any on our island. We build up some true viking... well eh.. spearmen and skirmishers, since we're too poor to even consider men at arms and hop on a boat to land on Anglican soil. In true British fashion they defend themselves with archers which are quickly annihilated.. we trash one of their markets for a bunch of gold at which point Greenland actually lands a castle age army on Iceland while wrecking our fishing ships with their longboats. Whelp.. suits me for being complacent. We quickly click up to castle age and ship our units back. After defeating the invaders we build a castle on the shoreline and some longboats to counter the eight or so Greenland had send our way.

Time to go back for another round of Anglican gold, this time with true viking raiders like Pikemen and Elite Skirms we even ship over a battering ram to take care of the British towers and town center. After pillaging their second market, this time only offering us half(300) the gold we got in the first raid(600), we scout ahead with our warships. There is a sea of worms ravishingly eating away at the wood of our ships in between Britain and Greenland, while the Greenland navy waits in front of their island. We ponder a bit and let Erik take a stroll around Britain to see if there are any other resources to gain apart from wood on the isle. Big mistake! Erik was apparently made of wood.. and the mentioned worms can even crawl on land, our great leader met his unfortunate demise on the beaches of western Scotland. You have been defeated.

Let's be more prudent and diligent this time around. Also let's presume Erik the Red is actually his son Leif now and the Greenland faction revolted against his fathers rule after he died in such a stupendous manner. The whole scenario will be vastly more historically accurate this way. We pretty much do the same as last time.. just faster and afterwards build up a nice navy of about 12 longboats raiding the Greenland docks. After destroying their navy and two docks we give chase after a fleeing Greenland longboat, they must have another dock at the other side of their island, after it's destruction their naval threat should cease to exist. We build up some more trash army back home and prepare for an invasion.. and oh no... our whole fleet sank to the bottom of the ocean. Evidenly the Greenland ships can go where no man has gone before, the worms won't hurt them.. but they will happily eat our whole navy.. oof!

With no gold to our name we can't really rebuild our navy so an invasion of Greenland is the only option we have left. We build some barracks, stables and archery ranges on their island and start producing trash units like skirms and pikemen. Do you feel viking yet? It's about to get worse. Greenland defends with towers on their shorelines.. and buffed up infantry and berserkers. Pikemen and skirms don't seem to be a great option here, they also have two castles. This scenario is quite a hoot.. so let's go all in on the Light Cavalry since it's the only option we have. Most of Iceland is covered in farms while eight stables are pumping out Light Cavalry swarming all over Greenland and well.. mostly dying to castle fire and superior berserker infantry. In the end we did trash the whole place suffering massive losses for every inch of land won... our price. A few gold and stone mines and a whole view of the sea of worms! There is also a weird penguin to the north which gives us an achievement.

We dock the west of Greenland and ferry over Leif Eriksson and his entourage of berserkers(yes we could finally afford some actual vikings!), we're supposed to make a settlement here while defending against the Skraeling who got quite the buff compared to the original game. Apart from a horde of militia they now boast Algonquin warriors which are about as strong as longswordsmen. No matter we build a castle and a settlement while destroying their beautiful village and reap the benefits of the plentiful resources on this newfound island.. things like eh... reindeer and wood. The Skraeling however won't be defeated as there is a hermit on a little island called... Bert? Probably a joke from the devs. Still a fun scenario, besides all the historical mishaps and well.. unfortunate accidents with Erik and my navy

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
April Update is here... another month without fixing my beloved Goths... xD...

forums.ageofempires.com

📜 Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition — Update 36906

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Update 36906 Good day and happy April, battle historians! This month’s update introduces a ton of new changes and features to the game, some new civilization tweaks to bring some of the powerhouses into line (while lifting up some of the weaker civs), and...

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

forums.ageofempires.com

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Update 36906 Good day and happy April, battle historians! This month’s update introduces a ton of new changes and features to the game, some new civilization tweaks to bring some of the powerhouses into line (while lifting up some of the weaker civs), and...
Ok Loomer

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watching the Red Bull tournament at the moment? Round of 16 started today, it's been brilliant so far, excellent games. Final set of the day is about to start, though it'll probably be the least interesting: Viper Vs Fire, going to be a steam-roll.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017

forums.ageofempires.com

At least your goths got a little buff!

The Pitched Battle achievement is now correctly awarded when players complete 'The Field of Blood' mission (in the Pachacuti campaign) without constructing walls.

This one is bloody hard.. there's noway I was going to cheat by actually building any walls or lowering the difficulty though. Ugh. I'm still going to do it!

Teutonic Knight: Increased speed from 0.7 to 0.8.

Surely now we will catch up with those pesky ranged units!

Boyar [Standard & Elite]: Increased pierce armor by +1.

Good change, they got slaughtered too fast during any raiding

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they really were insane, nobody could have predicted
Mr. Yo sweeping Viper 4-0.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Hussar: Reduced the length of the attack animation from 1.89 to 1.35 seconds (equivalent to Light Cavalry). This does not increase their DPS, but improves their ability to chase and harass targets.

That's damn good.. a slow animation getting in the way of chasing targets is funest!

Expected Indian Elephant Archer buff.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
damn I suck at managing my shit. It took me like 5 tries to get just the Silver medal for the challenge.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I was watching some Spirit of the Law videos and found out (Ethiopia overview) you can move a group of units under a TC so they all attack at once and it is my new favourite thing.

The sound is music to my ears and hilarious how fast you destroy it.

RM4dvR.gif

And since I've just been playing against AI (campaign/standard), it defeats them quickly.

I haven't played AoE2 since the Conquerors expansion and the new content is a joy. This game is so good. Some of the campaign missions were a lot harder than I remember, especially Joan of Arc's last mission. They just pump out units constantly and it was a real grind. Now that I have a better handle on economy (making way more villagers) the game has gotten much better.

Still can't micro or macro to save my life haha. Mangonels will forever be a mystery to me, all I need are rams.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I ended up bouncing back, as a rebound from SpellForce 3 (which is fun for a long-time series' fan, but has some really poor design choices)

So I'm back to my mix of the official/custom campaigns, and, oh, my goodness, they actually fixed Dos Pilas! And the AI has gotten a lot more aggressive, daymn!

The actual reason for the bump, tho is because everyone needs to check out the Three Kingdoms custom campaign. It's by one of the top designers for HD, who was actually asked by Forgotten Empires to collaborate on their expansion pack campaigns (he did Portuguese and Burmese campaigns in AK and RoR), and it's astoundingly good.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
www.ageofempires.com

Mods Single - Age of Empires

"Ragnar's Raids", one of the best custom scenarios made for HD, was re-released for DE by the original creator.

I finished the Berber campaign last night. That last scenario demonstrates that yeah, AI on Moderate got a boost to aggression. Only way to survive that initial rush on my un-built base is to use my starting stone to wall up, and put all starting vills on stone to finish walling, and get a Castle up quickly. enough to block the river access. Otherwise, both Bordeaux and Frankish Army flood the river with galleons and level half my buildings.

Once you can get a decent eco going, it's fairly trivial to expand to the eastern corner, build up an eco and camp there and start to deathball the Frankish Army forts. Heavy camels + Elite Camel Archers (all regenerating, thanks to Berber unique tech) + a whole bunch of trebs make for a very powerful combo against Frank palas + tAxemen- the enemy never brings out pikes, and has only a few skirms and mangonels as units that can actually do damage.

crushing Bordeaux was pretty epic, because I got my own small fleet of FireShips on the river as well, and the main fight was over the fords at the city entrance. They had 2 castles built into the walls, so demolishing those opened up huge gaps for my camelry to pour into. It kinda sucks that neither enemy had any eco you could raid; but I still enjoyed that last assault.
Moving on, it's time to stem the Berber onslaught at the Battle of Tours!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
In case it needs to be mentioned how much better DE is compared to HD in some things:

I played the York Battle of the Forgotten for over 6 hours with no lag.

It's magical. I've got an armada of 50+ Elite Longboats, sailing up rivers, burning down docks to make my base on the Isle of Man completely impregnable. I've rammed down so many castles along the west and southern coasts of Britain, many of them replaced with my own, spawning roving bands of Elite Berserkers and Siege Rams to sack even more cities in the British countryside. The "amass 50k" gold objective is now tied to your actual stockpile, so if you wanna keep raiding but you're getting too close to that goal you can just use the market to buy stone (I'm up to almost 1k gold for 100 stone now)- the game doesn't just "end" anymore once you've been tribute 50k total from all your pillaging.

All in all, it's pretty great.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Not sure if Thread-worthy:

Microsoft did a stealth-update to the DLC page to reveal the 2 new civs in the upcoming DLC expansion- Poles and Bohemians.

They, along with the Lithuanians, will get proper campaigns, and the DLC is due out in August.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm ambivalent about Poland, but having a Hussite War campaign is dream come true, so I really can't be complaining.

unicornKnight

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Since this is the OT I think it's best to ost here even if it's old thread.

So I got back to the game and I see that there have been three new expansions for DE, and coincidentally they are on sale right now.
The latest one released in April is -25% only but the other two are -50%.

Anyone have an opinion which one to get first, Dawn of Duke or Lords of the West?

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, that's a bump.

I've started the game and I love it, but I'm new to RTS and while I'm getting noticeably better, I'm still struggling with some missions. That Into China mission in the Genghis Khan campaign is brutal, I've spent hours trying to hunt all the fleeing enemies and eventually started again, slightly depressed.

I've started to switch to "story" difficulty in the mission select menu but I don't feel any difference and my save description still has "Standard AI". Am I missing something? (Playing on Series X)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Wow, that's a bump.

I've started the game and I love it, but I'm new to RTS and while I'm getting noticeably better, I'm still struggling with some missions. That Into China mission in the Genghis Khan campaign is brutal, I've spent hours trying to hunt all the fleeing enemies and eventually started again, slightly depressed.

I've started to switch to "story" difficulty in the mission select menu but I don't feel any difference and my save description still has "Standard AI". Am I missing something? (Playing on Series X)
"Into China" is probably the hardest scenario in that campaign, so I wouldn't feel discouraged. The base game scenarios are balanced around 75 population limit, so it can be tough to balance your military and eco.

As long as you take out the Jin wonder, and can keep the gaia cannons alive, mass Mangudai basically kill everything.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
"Into China" is probably the hardest scenario in that campaign, so I wouldn't feel discouraged. The base game scenarios are balanced around 75 population limit, so it can be tough to balance your military and eco.

As long as you take out the Jin wonder, and can keep the gaia cannons alive, mass Mangudai basically kill everything.

That's reassuring, I'll try again tonight.

Also I've noticed if I'm taking too long there are too many units on the map and the framerate takes a nosedive, making it almost unplayable.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the co-op campaigns with a friend who's a complete scrub at RTS, starting with Saladin, as that's one of the campaigns that I finished solo, and we're getting our asses kicked on standard! It's insane how much harassment there is from the AI and how ruthless it is. I reached platinum in SC2 so I know what I'm doing, even if I have minimal AOE experience, and I'm almost always on my back foot. Saladin 4, the Siege of Jerusalem, is kind of insane with the constant harassment from cavalry backed up by mangonels (orange), and then Teutonic knights (yellow). I'm spread so thin between trying to macro, micro, raid, and tech up that I can't reach a critical mass of units to take out yellow or orange, much less actually complete the objective of sieging the towers.

Am I crazy to think that these missions are overtuned? And this is on the lowest AI difficulty (standard, as opposed to moderate or hard). I don't know how any entry level RTS players would beat this in a million years.

Edit: I just played it in single player to see what the best strategy was so I could carry it into our co-op games, and wtf, it was dead easy. I had orange basically dead within 10 minutes, and a TC where theirs was in 20. Rolled the rest of the match.

Edit: I played the scenario with my friend again and this time my friend and I both raided orange immediately, this time with us having a much better combat encounter overall, and we went on to roll. This time around, he used his cavalry to take out the siege weapons that were making it difficult for my archers to focus on the Teutonic knights. Sometimes I forget how much micro is involved in this game even if it's not StarCraft.

Last edited: