• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Heads up - one of the scenario designers for DE has eight additional scenarios (I think one more to come) under mods. Search for Phillysouljah.

15nyuqjs0x241.png

I've played the Byzantine Komnenos one some, it's quite creative!

With the stability and balance issues tuned up some, I may try a multi match or two soon.

Bassi, another prominent AoK designer who was drafted into Forgotten Empires also has 2 campaigns out: The Golden Horde and Young Tamerlane

Most scenario designers that worked with HD are still coming to grips with the new editor, but we can expect much more amazing content coming.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Soph's AoE Chronicles: Genghis Khan 1 Crucible
Difficulty: Hard
Attempts: 1

We see and feel the horde of Genghis Khan pass by, at which point he addresses a small contingent of unupgraded Light Cavalry and Cavalry Archers. Could you mop up the remaining tribes? You may use diplomacy or war, as long as they all become part of our crucible(translators note: Crucible means melting pot). I'm so disappointed you don't actually get to control Genghis himself, with 25 attack 2/2 armor and 300 health he must be one of the strongest units in the game. He's got plenty of more important things to do obviously.. like err.. well yeah.

Anyhow time to scout out the tribes we're supposed to put in our crucible. Directly to the north of our starting position live the Ungiradds(Mongols), they have a bunch of mangudai and would join us if we'd hand over a relic. To the west lives the Tayichi'uds tribe(Mongols), they'll join us if we kill their enemy the Naiman, they seem to mostly field Light Cavalry. Further up North we find the most holy tribe with monks and cavarchers, the Kereyids(Mongols). They seem very hungry and ask us to find them some delicious kebab. Scouting much further Northeast we find the cavalry archer tribe of the Naiman(Mongols), who you probably guessed, want the Tayichi'uds dead. In the East, the tribe of the Uighurs(Tatars) can be found, they'll hand over their superior camels if we kill the great alpha wolf Ornlu for them.

Oh we shouldn't forget, the treacherous Khara Khitai! They have bases dotted around the whole map defending sheep and relics. We clean up their two camps in the middle of the map by first engaging with their units, healing at the Holy Kereyids when our health gets low. Wrecking their towers next, while healing again if needed.We also mop up their little sheep pen defenders north of the Kereyids. All this riding around the map caused us to find at least 35 sheep. The Kereyids only wanted 20, screw it they get them all!. They offer us two monks and some extra cav archers. Decent!

Ornlu the Wolf can be found in the far eastern mountains, the amount of skeletons and howls betray his resting place. His whole pack consists of a few normal wolves, dire wolves and Ornlu himself. He's very strong, but can easily be aggroed out of his group on his own. He's also too slow, so our cav archers make minced meat of the poor thing with hit and run tactics, while leaving the pack oblivious to the loss of their leader. We thank the Uighurs for their camels and move our army towards the Tayichi'uds. I pity their terrible defenses and few light cavalry. I tend to fight them and not the Naiman because I like the cav archers more and there is one extra tower to destroy

You know what? We always killed the Tayichi'uds, let's actually help the poor bastards for once in their lives. It's not like the Naiman are all that much stronger anyway, we got monks, twice as many cavarchers, light cav and camels. After wiping the Naiman we claim our light cavalry price. In actual history these two tribes were definitely warring against each other, but ended up fighting Genghis together. Since well he was far more of a threat. We just need to bring a relic to the Ungirrads and the crucible is complete. There are two small Khara Khitai camps holding relics in the far north and far west of the map. We defeat the Khara Kitai and deliver twice the relics to an overly joyful Ungirrad tribe, they offer us some beautiful Mangudai for our troubles. Victory!

Bet this isn't the last we'll see of these treacherous Khara-Kitai

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
THERE ARE WITHOUT HONOR

(also subbed to Bassi's campaigns, I am sitting on an embarrassment of riches! Suggested Phillysouljah take a look at the life and conquests of Mehmed II)

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

Decent showcase of how well Steppe Lancers trade now after their nerfs. Seems like a good adjustment to me without making them unpopular.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Beat the Joan of Arc campaign. Overall I'm surprised how well it has aged. The maps are basic, but there's a lot of thought put into them, like the way you're often encouraged to eliminate an enemy early to even the odds. Siege of Paris is the one weak spot; it's just too annoying and fiddly.

Man, the last mission (A Perfect Martyr) is tough though. You start in Castle Age with a six-villager economy and will have to deal with Imperial units from early. It took some restarts, but in the end what worked for me was:
  • Build a lumber camp with the starting villagers while you attack Burgundy. You might as well have them doing something in that first phase, and a big wood stockpile will actually be quite helpful for early infrastructure and playing the market.
  • Keep some of your cavalry in reserve in the initial battle, you'll need them to kill siege early on. Also you absolutely must keep the treb alive and preferably at least one cannon.
  • Use the market to get the stone for an early second TC to the east near your starting position. Wall the shallows there, palisades + buildings should be enough to discourage attacks.
  • Producing from two TCs you won't be able to build much military early, but you need to at least mini-boom to catch up and if you have a decent amount of troops left from the first battle they can carry you for awhile along with fortifications. A couple monks helped too.
  • Also wall the west of the Burgundy base of course and plug any gaps you created in attacking.
  • Eliminate orange early; their starting army is not very strong and their cavaliers will become a headache if left alone.
  • Get a castle on the hill near the British crossing fairly early (again, the market can help) and do whatever you can to keep it alive.
  • If you can hold off the initial red + purple assaults and steadily produce vills, your economy will eventually be strong enough to start building a real army, slowly push across the river, and eventually go to Imperial. A third TC in orange's base is good once you can afford it.

I also tried a ranked multiplayer game and...at 32 years old I don't think I want to invest the time it would take to get good in multiplayer haha. Keeping up with the multitasking at high speed and no pause is tough. Maybe I'll play the occasional casual team game.

Last edited:

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Soph's AoE Chronicles: Genghis Khan 2 A Life of Revenge

We start in the east of the map with a beautiful Mongol Wonder, doubling as the war tent of our great Khan. Lose the wonder, lose the scenario. If only the Khan himself would step out for an hour or two, he'd complete the scenario on his own! Instead we get two camels, four light cav and four cavarchers. A fifth lightcav scout joins us from the north informing us about a Tayichi'uds(Mongols) encampment. Great they are our allies from the last map Crucible, let's go talk to them! It seems we crashed their party like a bumbling buffoon, and they move in to attack! Killing their paltry mounted forces yields a base and some villagers. we did lose a few of our own units in the scuffle.

We make use of our beautiful Mongol hunting bonus and start building mills to the southeast near some deer, later we'll find some more sprawling steppes full of deer for the taking in the utmost southern part of the map. It's enough to last the whole scenario with barely any farms up at all. Since siege is not a factor the hints tell us to make a tower or two to defend the wonder. We build two towers on two hills between our bases while advancing up the ages. William Wallace campaign taught us to make towers on the hills after all!

The objective of this map is to kill the hero unit Kushluk of the Kushluk(Mongols), he seems to be waiting in the middle of the map, while having a base of his own in the far East. Kushluk is visiting the Kara-Khitai(Mongols), they are without honour, in hope of marrying their daughter. He won't attack unless we take down the palisade walls keeping him safe. The Kara-Khitai themselves sit in the middle of the map and will send a lot of infantry, skirms, archers and lightcav to destroy our beautiful tent. They ought to really just set fire to it, how hard can it be to destroy a tent? When they do end up attacking they run straight past our two towers and start attacking our Yurts surrounding the wonder. I should've build those towers somewhat closer, oh well. We lose all our yurts before I'm able to repel the attackers with a big enough castle age force consisting of camels. light cav and cavarchers.

Might as well go on the counteroffensive straight away! We park the army outside the Kara-Khitai "gate" and pick a fight with the bulk of the defenders. The men without honour melt under the pressure and we clean up the whole Kara-Khitairan base. Kushluk is fleeing farther into the safety of his own encampment. We scout out the whole place and find him in the upper western corner of the map. There are scorpions, light cav and cav archers hunting our army but we have plenty of burly men to rip the man himself to shreds. You are victorious!

It occurred to me there is an actual achievement to get, we would need to kill Kushluk in under 20 minutes to unlock "The Kushluk Assassination". We ended on about an hour last time around, so building up an army and attacking is out of the question, besides we don't want to lose valuable units to the cavarchers of the Tayichi'uds. Let's just straight up go for it! I move my army into the north part of the Kara-Khitai base but move the scout we got last directly south of their base (In the field of Gazelle dreams). We attack the palisade with the one light cav and a stream of units decide to attack the poor man. It was a trick, as we can be without honour as well! Haha!

In the confusion the rest of our army can safely blast through a palisade wall in the north of the Khara-Kitairan base seperating us from Kushluk, who obviously starts running by the sight of our terrifying group. We repeat the same strategy by attacking a building in the south of Kushluks base with one light cav, while circling around north with our assassins. The remaining two camels, three lightcav and four cav archers are enough to seal the deal, do make sure your camels have priority in attacking Kushluk above the lightcav if there is not enough room for all of them. Achievement Get! With all of that out of the way, we want to go and conquer Persia and Europe. However, the Chinese have said they won't support us in our journey to the west, they need to be punished for their insolence first!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Reading tips for the last Saladin scenario... Man... my speed is so bad, I get wrecked a ton (and that's just on Moderate) by all the siege units (mangonels... I fucking hate those bastards)... And supposedly I need to construct a Wonder and defend it... Building the Wonder is so slow and my attempts rushing one of the enemies so far has been so bad... :/

But eventually, I will conquer that to continue with Ghengis Khan campaign...

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
1. Sorry for the double post
2. Sorry if my English writing is poor... xD... not my first language... :)

OK, so after many... many attemps I finally conquered the scenario and got the "Offense is the best defense" achievement in one shot (Playing on Moderate).

First was trying to establish an acceptable economy and a quick raid on the Genoese navy (aka, destroying their only Cannon Galleon), then was enduring the first, second and third waves of attacks from everyone (Franks with it's Bombard Cannons, Templars and their spam rams, Jerusalem with their Champions, Light cav, Onagers and Trebs, and finally Red with their annoying longbows, scorpions, Onagers and their special Trebs). Later on, I infiltrate 1 vil to the west (?) near the Jerusalem camp and build my military annex (Mameluks, Heavy Camels, rams and trebs) and started wiping Jerusalem at a real slowly pace... then I assent my 2nd TC and another castle to protect the gold since at that point in the game, the CPU was going sending their villagers to the only two remaining gold spots and the remaining wood spot (which I controlled at that point). The Persians send their reinforments and together with a few light cavs protected the main city for the next waves but something started on the CPU side... their exhausted their resources (gold, stone and wood) and their raids on my annex were less bulky every time. So with my Mameluke army, the trebs and rams started to clean the map. First with the English, next was the turn for the Franks who got caught when I was dealing with the Templars... The Genoese got wiped since they were focused so much on navy and "raid" the coast of my city many times, and finally the Templars got pulverized when I located their TC with the 2 only villagers they save hiding from me... xD...

3:23h game time... it was exhausting but it worth the results...

Now finally, I can move to Genghis Khan campaign (since I´m playing in release order)...

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Soph's AoE Chronicles: Genghis Khan 3 Into China
Attempts: 2

The great invasion force to subdue all of China in this scenario consists of six cavalry archers and four light cav. Genghis has a lot of faith in us, sending ten soldiers against millions. At least we get a lot of resources! We spread out our units to scout the immediate terrain. Lots of delicious stone, gold, berries and wolves can be found in the Mongolian countryside. To the south of us towers the giant wall of China, with multiple rows of fortified walls and keeps interspersed throughout, it forces us to the far east. Here we find a transport ship in the river and a camp of Engineers on the other side. Killing their few defending soldiers nets us some villagers, an onager and a ram. The siege is used to destroy the few buildings these engineers had scattered around.

Apart from the Engineers, there are four stronger Chinese factions to take care of in this scenario. The Hsi Hsia (Green) own the great wall and also have a fine looking city on top of cliffs in the middle of the map. The Tanguts(Red) are to the northwest of the Hsi Hsia, with Song(Cyan) starting to the southwest of the Tanguts. Last but not least there is the Jin(Yellow), residing in the far east off the map on an island all for themselves. The Jin have a lot of resources and will start building a wonder if we're not fast enough. This reminded me to check the achievements, and well, there is actually an achievement for destroying the Jin before they start building their wonder. Marvelous!

I pondered a bit, but decided to keep going, even if we lost some precious time. Everyone on board the transport ship, we land to the North of these Jin! I made a quick lumber camp and decided to build the Town Center in the far east near some food and wood. We went back and forth until the whole army got shipped over. A nice dock in the north nets us a safe pond to fish in, but beware, there are towers everywhere to the south and west. Our beautiful ram starts pressuring the gates and walls of the Jin city, which is reinforced with double towers behind them every few meters. Repairing the ram, we are able to get in and take care of one of these sets of towers. This is going way too well, the Jin thought so as well and finally send in their knights to mop up our whole army. We go Imperial age and I try to castledrop. The castle went up, but so did the start of the constructions of the Jin wonder. The achievement is lost when the Jin start building.

Attempt 2

No scouting around, time to rush the engineers. When we get the reinforcements, we load up four vills and a ram in the transport and ferry them first. The four villagers go to the same food north of Jin and build the town center, while the ram starts besieging the Jin straight away. How about them apples hmm? The next two ferried villagers build a lumber camp near the shore, and a dock as well in the safe northern water. My tactics actually don't change all that much, we're just faster this time around. The ram manages to break through the wall just south of the Town Center and crushes the two towers there, opening up a goldmine for us. We castledrop to defend this goldmine, but also cover a widely used Jin woodline as well. The Jin manage to crush our siege and army with their knights but our castle fights on. We build some mangudai to raid Jin resource nodes while going up to Imp, a few trebuchets and mangudai later and the Jin are no more.

Glory and Honour! We get the achievement! Or well, we actually do not. This was pre-patch, and the achievement appeared to be bugged out somehow. Let's put the wrath of our Tengri Sky gods upon the other Chinese factions for denying us the achievement. The Jin island has so many resources, we almost drown in them. Most of the water is ours, since noone but the Jin actually make a navy. There is a huge contingent of units in the former Engineers lands, consisting of the Song, Hsi Hsia and Tanguts. So let's surprise them from the south instead. We ferry a bunch of villagers and start building five castles to the south of the Hsi Hsia cliffs. (Yeah the Jin have way too many resources!)

Our navy annoys the Song on the river a bit while we push a combined army of 12 trebuchets and 40 mangudai up north through the Hsi Hsia's main fortress destroying everything in their wake. We head farther north and attack the great wall of China from the south, bet they never expected that! Circling to the west we find another engineer encampment with bombard cannons lying around for the taking! With these reinforcements we rush south crushing the Tanguts, who have a cute moat around their base. Song isn't all that strong, so we mop them up as well and finish the scenario.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, even on Moderate the game's difficulty is absolutely higher than vanilla AoE2. Not a bad thing, but you absolutely must learn to speed up, specially the economy managment and stuff. I'm enjoying it a lot

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
I know I'm slow but... My God... Conquering Into China was so slow for me to actually do it...

Many attempts, and 5h later I finally destroy the scenario... The Siege Rams and Light Cavs army (+ a couple trebs for cleaning those pesky towers) were the MVP of the night...

I'm recording/streaming my attempts on Twitch for archiving purposes and exporting to YouTube (0 production values xD... Pure Raw and awful gameplay)...

If anyone wanna see my journey so far...

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Would like to know if anyone else has experienced this, started after the Dec patch in early Jan:

On Steam, the game keeps overriding local save files/player profile with those taken from an outdated set of cloud saves (the ones located in remote section of userdata).

There's no option to disable game specific cloud saving in properties for one, and the latest local saves in the Games folder are still being created (not a problem itself, but these one's are not being uploaded to the cloud or read by the game at all)​

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know I'm slow but... My God... Conquering Into China was so slow for me to actually do it...

Many attempts, and 5h later I finally destroy the scenario... The Siege Rams and Light Cavs army (+ a couple trebs for cleaning those pesky towers) were the MVP of the night...

I'm recording/streaming my attempts on Twitch for archiving purposes and exporting to YouTube (0 production values xD... Pure Raw and awful gameplay)...

If anyone wanna see my journey so far...

I'm also a very casual player and yea, conquering into China took me forever. I'm sure there are some shortcuts, but for me it was one of the longest scenario maps in the game so far.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Soph's AoE Chronicles: Genghis Khan 4 The Horde Rides West
Attempts: 2

Ah.. another lovely map for us to play. We start in the northeast with two bases divided by the great ridges of Persia. The landscaping in the map is actually utterly atrocious for what it's trying to depict. I think it's rushing to squeeze three historical scenario's into one: The conquest of the Kwharezm Empire (1217), the scouting campaign all around the Caspian sea of Subotai(1220) and the invasion of Russia proper (1236). Let's just assume the two parts of the map are not connected at all, since well... there are no Russian princes to the east of the Caspian sea as far as I know.

We start allied to the Persian Kwarezm (Yellow) who have a big walled town in the southwest with two castles. In the north we first find a lightly defended base of Cuman Kipchaks(Green) followed by a more heavily defended base of Slav Russians(red). We're supposed to assassinate the Kwarezm Shah.. called Aladin(good job Disney) with our trade carts in the south, while we wait for Subotai to arrive in the north. The north base has lush greenery and woods, while the south has some great mines to exploit. We try to manage a balanced economy while sending the trade carts to the Shah. The assassins will pop out once we reach the castle and the poor Shah, expecting some glorious gifts, will get mauled by two champions.

In actual history, a trade caravan was sent to the Kwarezm empire while the Mongols were fighting in China. Genghis wanted to establish trade relations with Aladin, so he manned the caravan with Muslim subjects to appease such prospects. One of Aladin's governors imprisoned the caravan, at which point Genghis send over three of his ambassadors to sort out the situation peacefully. After demanding the trade caravan to be released, Aladin ordered the execution of one of the ambassadors and the caravan itself. Genghis was a great proponent(maybe even the grandfather) of diplomatic immunity, you can imagine his fury when this news arrived. It was time for some retributal slaughter and extermination.

Anyhow, after assassinating the Shah we make some monasteries to defend in the south, as the Persians will start to attack us with quite a lot of elephants. Our shamans whisper treacherous Tengri teachings in the big ears of these elephants, promptly switching their armor colour from yellow to orange. Don't ask, I have no idea how this works. Meanwhile, we get attacked in the north by the Russians, so we send our cavalry archers and wolves to deal with them. Mistakes were made! I managed to totally whiff the scenario by sacrificing Subotai in this fight, for some reason I was adamant he still needed to arrive (Genghis Khan 6 anyone?). Essential hero units dying.. seems like a fair warning for a much darker future to come. You have been defeated

Attempt 2

We restart the scenario doing almost the same thing. Kill Aladin, convert some elephants with shamans and whatnot. We are however, finally doing something militarily in the north as well, silly me for thinking it's not important. The Kipchaks have two whole cavalry archers defending their base.. defeating them with Subotai's retinue nets us their whole base. I train up some cavalry archers and rams to support Subotai, while we keep recolouring the elephants in the south, who in turn trounce the paladins accompanying them. The Russian prince is actually really weak.. with just some kiteable infantry and a meager castle defending their base. We wipe them from the map and build up some siege workshops to the north of the Kwarezm walls.

In the south we start pushing back, having converted about 16 elephants. The full invasion force consists of a contingent of Elite Mangudai, the shamanly elephant tenders, the elephants themselves and a few trebuchets. We rush through the first gate, seemingly leaving ulterior destruction behind. Our elephants clean up the first Persian castle, suffering heavy losses. We park our army to the south of the proper Kwarezm capital, making sure reinforcements are arriving constantly. It feels Kwarezm is somewhat running out of steam, so we grab the opportunity for a two pronged pincer attack. The siege workshops to the north of the capital had been making siege rams, fully drilled (+50% movement speed), while the full army in the south followed a fleeing villager through their own gate. With that last fatal error it wouldn't be long for the whole Kwarezm capital to be razed to the ground.

It's time for Europe to tremble under our Tengri might!

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
On that mission, it was funny to me to confuse the AI with Subotai doing circles until the Russians were so tired that parked their whole army on the right upper side of the map... XD. Then it just was keep checking Subotai status (since I hide it in the far north of the map) and pushing with rams, pikes and cav archers on the south to pulverize the Persian Shah.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
All you need to do is tech up to monks in the south and convert a stable of elephants.

Subotai needs a good number of mangudais to deal with the few Huskarls, and then a few rams to kill everythign else. Goths don't have walls, so they can be rushed and their workers/ buildings picked off with ease.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
The Russians are no longer depicted as the Goths in the definitive edition, they might still have some huskarls in their camp from the start though.. not sure. They didn't change them to have a walled encampment though, keeping their old Goth spirit.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What a great game, can't believe I slept on it all these years. Easy to learn but so much to master. Too many strategy games are overly complex these days.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Soph's AoE Chronicles: Genghis Khan 5 The Promise

Time to charge into Europe with all of our tengri might. We start in the far east in some sort of basin surrounded by cliffs on all sides. Straight to the southeast we can find the Polish(Blue) using the Slavs as their civilisation of choice. They used to play as the Goths in the original game, focusing mostly on infantry and siege. In the far southwest we can find the Germans(Teutons) in red with a walled town, while they also possess a forward castle in the middle. They support their teutonic knights with archers, pikemen and some siege. Last but not least the Bohemians(Teutons) in green live in a walled off town to the northwest, they have a giant imperial age army and will only attack us once properly evoked. The goal of the scenario is to capture the flags of our three enemies, which they hide in their camps.

We quickly start up our economy while thinking of a strategy. We're very well defended and really only need to build one gate on the ridge to lock off the only entrance to our base for the Germans and Bohemians. We build a castle to the south so their arrows can hamper incoming troops while focusing all our attention on the Poles. I'd love to take them out of the game before they use all of their resources. Since their army mostly consists of infantry and some siege we all know what sort of army composition absolutely crushes them... Mangudai! We build about twelve supported by a few rams and start poking the blue bear. Turns out the strong winged hussars are something from another age as these Poles get far too easily crushed. They also did end up using most of their resources anyway(I don't think they start with all that much).

We go up to Imperial while ramrushing the German castle in the middle along with our mangudai. Directly to the south of the castle are extra stone and gold mines for the taking. An advisor is talking about building some castles in the middle for the coming Bohemian push, we end up building four of them in total supported by a few funneling pieces of wall. Since the Bohemians don't seem to be coming yet we send our mangudai over to the southern German encampment to harass villagers, distract soldiers and devastate some economy. The mangudai circle around the German base leaving destruction in their wake.. pushing a bit northwards they find a hermit priest along with a contingent of Elite Leites(?) who seemed to have gotten lost and are all too happy to join the onslaught of the mongol army.

The Bohemians actually stream out their full 70 headstrong army of Imperial aged beauty at this point. I'm not entirely sure what causes the Bohemians to attack, I know attacking them in their own base makes them come, but building a bunch of castles in the middle also seem to be some sort of trigger. When I scouted the Bohemian army, part of it was taking the long route through Germany instead of facing us head on. Our mangudai and castles easily hold the advance of the encroaching Paladin and Champions while the Leites contingent of cavalry charges down their mountaintops into the soft underbelly of the Bohemian rabble consisting of Siege Rams. We catch the other part of the army trying to outflank us through Germany in a pincer movement with Leites on one side and mangudai on the other. We mop up the remains and capture both the German and Bohemian flags in order.

Only Hungary keeps us from the riches of Europe now, we will invade them next episode!

Last edited:

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question... Is there a way to upgrade gates? Like if I build a wood one can I upgrade it or even destroy it? Or anything for that matter?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question... Is there a way to upgrade gates? Like if I build a wood one can I upgrade it or even destroy it? Or anything for that matter?
Not from palisades to stone walls, just from stone walls to fortified walls. You can destroy units or buildings with the delete key (shift + delete is mass delete), but if you have the room, palisade as an additional cushion outside your stone walls is a nice bonus.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not from palisades to stone walls, just from stone walls to fortified walls. You can destroy units or buildings with the delete key (shift + delete is mass delete), but if you have the room, palisade as an additional cushion outside your stone walls is a nice bonus.
Excellent thanks. Funny to me that a lot of this game is buried behind combinations of key commands. Like it took me forever to figure out how to rotate things.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft III: Reforged is utterly dreadful, we're very lucky Age of Empires got the respect, money and time it deserves from Microsoft.

On towards the next one: Command and Conquer: Remaster. Please EA, don't muck it up.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Warcraft III: Reforged is utterly dreadful, we're very lucky Age of Empires got the respect, money and time it deserves from Microsoft.

On towards the next one: Command and Conquer: Remaster. Please EA, don't muck it up.

I'm still waiting for an Empire Earth HD announcement....

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

A shame, I know people were excited for WC3R and it sounds like it was sent out to die...

Hope AoEIIDE keeps getting love and patches for a long time to come.

Oct 28, 2017

AOEII:DE has so may upgrades over the base AOE2:AOK game, Warcraft III: Reforged is literally a joke.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
So, they said the AI was revamped. I was skeptical.

Went for a new game with giant map, 7 AI players and got my ass kicked hard.

Now I'm in shock, always tought I was a master at this game.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Welcome to the club (though I never thought myself as a master player, but at least competent to play it)

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I know we're not getting new civs now that we have 35... but I'd love to see the occasional addition of new techs (generic and unique) and units.

Would love to see buffs to the Xolotl Warrior (and let Mayans get it with the tech), Tarkans, Siege Tower (let it transport siege units?), and our bottom civs (iirc Vietnamese and Portuguese are some examples of low winrate).

In fairness to the devs, 20 years of AoEII AI scripting has come a long way lol. You can also download even harder AIs (such as "The Barbarian").

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is an amazing remaster. Have been having so much fun since I grabbed it on gamepass

Pipe dream but I would love if Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds could get similar love from EA and Microsoft teaming up.
It was always just a Star Wars version of this game from the original devs anyway.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Damn this is an amazing remaster. Have been having so much fun since I grabbed it on gamepass

Pipe dream but I would love if Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds could get similar love from EA and Microsoft teaming up.
It was always just a Star Wars version of this game from the original devs anyway.

That would be amazing. I played a lot of that game back then

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Welcome to the club (though I never thought myself as a master player, but at least competent to play it)

It was a big reality check, bu hey: this will probably grant some two decades more into the game for me, so it's good!

In fairness to the devs, 20 years of AoEII AI scripting has come a long way lol. You can also download even harder AIs (such as "The Barbarian").

Nah, I'm sure I'll be far away from this one!

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That would be amazing. I played a lot of that game back then

I dare not hope, but Lucasfilm has been showing some love to their older games since the Disney acquisition.
2015 saw KOTOR 2 get an official update with Steam workshop integration and native controller and 21:9 support.
2016 saw KOTOR 1 get ported to iOS
Last Year we got Jedi Outcast on Switch and PS4 with Academy releasing this year.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I started playing this the last couple days And I am really impressed how it plays, feels and looks just like i remember. I am sure if I looked at the original I would see how "bad" the old one looks in comparison. However the new one really nails the overall aesthetic.
I must say though I wouldn't have minded if they had added some modern quality of life improvements...

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Then my nostalgia must be short circuiting. :p
Off the top of me skull: Auto-reseed/retrap buttons, resource quantity bars, keybinds and modern QWER hotkeys, overflow bar for all in-progress techs and age-ups, tech-up animation on buildings, modern hp bar display modes, modern shift-queue functionality, gatherers have much larger resource seeking behaviors, villagers no longer instantly lose resources if you accidentally click another resource, you can shift-queue farm construction and one villager will assign itself as each completes (and multiple villagers tasked to one farm will spread out to others in general).

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved this game but have always been very bad.

Nonetheless, I stumbled upon this bo11 set between Hera and TheViper and it's fucking incredible to watch. What a beautiful game.

It was a fantastic tournament! I recommend going back and watching the other matches, lots of novel strategies and happenings (including the rare appearance of Xolotl Warriors).

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I really appreciate that they've fixed the AI bug in the Joan campaign I was bitching about at launch. Idk when it happened, but it was gone when I played it again lol