• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
headerh9swd.png

CnGAlyN.png

Welcome back to history

Platform: PC via the Windows Store and Steam
Release Date:
Win10: February 20th, 2018​
Steam: August 19th, 2019​
Price: $19.99 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital Only
Developer: Forgotten Empires
Publisher: Xbox Game Studios
OT1: https://www.resetera.com/threads/age-of-empires-definitive-edition-ot-wololo.24342/
ESRB: T
Size: ~20 GB

infocms4q.png

• Crossplay between Steam and Windows 10.
  • Included as part of Game Pass on Windows 10.
  • Completely rebuilt assets for a modern 4K presentation.
  • Features gameplay adjustments such as increased population limits, faster default play speed and improved unit pathfinding.
  • Online multiplayer with Xbox LIVE (in addition to LAN play).
  • Re-recorded the original game's soundtrack with an orchestral score.
  • New campaign narration for every mission.
  • Enhanced campaign and scenario editor, which allows anyone to make original custom campaigns for the game (shareable via AgeOfEmpires.com).

mediaejsd0.png

age-of-empires_greek-oisa5.png
age-of-empires_greek-mpsq2.png

age-of-empires_enemieqbsde.png
age-of-empires_the-co10sxx.png

reviewsxvs85.png

Opencritic
Destructoid 8/10
The Windows 10 restrictions simply do the development team a disservice. A lot of work went into Age of Empires: Definitive Edition and just enough tweaks were made to ensure that it's still relevant in 2018. I have an incredible amount of respect for the folks who brought this classic back to life, and for their restraint to ensure that this remaster doesn't abandon its roots.

Trusted Reviews 3.5/5
With its sprite-based visuals and creaky AI, it's not hard to spot signs of Age of Empires' advanced years. It's equal parts frustration and exhilaration, awesome when you're winning, aggravating when a moment's lapse leads to ignominious defeat. Yet the forward-thinking mission design and the pace and balance of the gameplay means it's still weirdly addictive and absorbing. It's no longer the best of its kind, but this is one historical artefact that's still worth playing here and now. Come on Microsoft, roll on a proper reboot or a sequel. This oldie but goldie deserves it.

Press Start 8/10
Age of Empires: Definitive Edition does almost everything it sets out to do; it breathes new life into an absolute classic, and allows us to put on those rose-tinted glasses for another long campaign across the map, dominating through any means possible and constructing an empire very few could dream of. It still suffers from a few issues that the original did, but what more can you ask from a game that is older than half the people you play against online these days? It's definitely worth purchasing, if only for the nostalgia factor.

requirementsmeso1.png

Minimum
OS Windows 10
Architecture x64
Keyboard Integrated Keyboard
Mouse Integrated Mouse
DirectX Version 11
Memory 4 GB
Video Memory 1 GB
Processor 1.8 Ghz+ Dual Core or greater i5 or AMD equivalent
Graphics Intel HD 4000 or better (16 or more Execution Units), nVidia GPU scoring 500 or more on Passmark G3D Mark; AMD GPU scoring 500 or more on Passmark G3D Mark

Recommended
OS Windows 10
Architecture x64
Keyboard Integrated Keyboard
Mouse Integrated Mouse
DirectX Version 11
Memory 16 GB
Video Memory 2 GB
Processor 2.4 Ghz i5 or greater (4 HW threads)
Graphics Nvidia GTX 650; AMD HD 5850

links3sswt.png

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
You can also buy a bundle of AOE DE and AOE 2 DE for $30.

Downloading now! Hope they ported it ok.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can play AoE again! This is still my favorite one. I refused to buy it on the Windows Store.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Question for when someone has tried it on Steam: What depencies are there against Microsofts services? Mandatory, optional or not at all?

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
Finally, about time.

The lobby is miserable on Win10 and you can barely find people to play against.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
There's going to be an exclusive discount for people who are buying AoE2 Definitive Edition who owned the HD Edition before right?

New version for Game Pass

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone playing the Game Pass version or has previously bought the game on the Windows Store, there is a new separate version required to be downloaded. It seems to be Win32 instead of UWP and offers a new achievement list. The link in the OP is for the old version, which can be noticed due to grayed out box art.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
They should take all the time they need. This all time classic needs all the love it can get.

Excited for this.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The Steam reviews for this game isn't looking particulary good.
Thought about buying it, but there seems to be a lot of issues currently.

The three major ones I spot in the reviews are:

1. Perfomance issues.
2. The game complaining about other processes interfering with it, like Antivirus and Firewall apps/services.
3. Somehow worse AI the in the original?

Anyone playing the Steam version here, who can confirm?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've already got this game on the Microsoft Store, but I'm happy that there is cross-play with Steam.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam reviews for this game isn't looking particulary good.
Thought about buying it, but there seems to be a lot of issues currently.

The three major ones I spot in the reviews are:

1. Perfomance issues.
2. The game complaining about other processes interfering with it, like Antivirus and Firewall apps/services.
3. Somehow worse AI the in the original?

Anyone playing the Steam version here, who can confirm?

For me performance wise I get a rock solid 60fps with no dips, did a 4player 1 hour long match. I'd suggest trying it yourself for the first 2 hours with a couple AIs on a large map and if you have performance issues refund it.
Second point is easily circumventable
Third point is fake news being spread around because of a steam forum topic on AI issues from a youtube video made more than a year ago. AI was a problem yes, but a year ago. It has been patched since and AI is fine now.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
For me performance wise I get a rock solid 60fps with no dips, did a 4player 1 hour long match. I'd suggest trying it yourself for the first 2 hours with a couple AIs on a large map and if you have performance issues refund it.
Second point is easily circumventable
Third point is fake news being spread around because of a steam forum topic on AI issues from a youtube video made more than a year ago. AI was a problem yes, but a year ago. It has been patched since and AI is fine now.

Sounds good.

But the second point, is that in both single player or multiplayer?

Do you have to sign up for XBOX Live for singleplayer in this?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good.

But the second point, is that in both single player or multiplayer?

Do you have to sign up for XBOX Live for singleplayer in this?

I'm not having the second point issue personally but from the devs answer on the steam reviews mentionning this problem having an antivirus on will crash the crash after 5 minutes or so not matter where you are in the game. You need to whitelist or turn off your antivirus to circumvent the problem. I imagine they will patch this sooner than later because it seem to be a widespread issue.

For the xbox live part I tested having steam in offline mode, internet disabled and xbox live profile signed out and I still can play single player fine. Multiplayer (obviously) and LAN (strangely) are greyed out offline.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not having the second point issue personally but from the devs answer on the steam reviews mentionning this problem having an antivirus on will crash the crash after 5 minutes or so not matter where you are in the game. You need to whitelist or turn off your antivirus to circumvent the problem. I imagine they will patch this sooner than later because it seem to be a widespread issue.

For the xbox live part I tested having steam in offline mode, internet disabled and xbox live profile signed out and I still can play single player fine. Multiplayer (obviously) and LAN (strangely) are greyed out offline.

Ok. But you can't skip the XBOX Live profile at first, and just start playing it in single player?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. But you can't skip the XBOX Live profile at first, and just start playing it in single player?
Pretty sure you can play single player before signing in ever, it's a separate button entirely and I remember the singleplayer button being available. First thing I did when I reached the main menu for the first time was signing in (wasn't a pop up like windows live, I just noticed the xbox live sign in button and clicked it before entering single player) so I can't say with 110% certainty.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
They've made some nice changes to the campaign missions compared to the original. With all the problems at release, it was pretty bad, but having played it recently with better AI and other bugs fixed, I was having a better time than with the original campaigns (at least the Greek campaign, I haven't played further).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If the only major issue with the game is the AV conflict that will probably be patched (and is easy to work around) I'll probably go ahead and bite. Doesn't bother me that they didn't significantly change or update it, I like that it's pretty true to the original. Aside from annoying stuff like impassable farms.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
If the only major issue with the game is the AV conflict that will probably be patched (and is easy to work around) I'll probably go ahead and bite. Doesn't bother me that they didn't significantly change or update it, I like that it's pretty true to the original. Aside from annoying stuff like impassable farms.
Farms are passable in definitive edition. There's also attack move which IIRC didn't exist in AoE1

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The quality of life additions to the game are a godsend. I couldn't play the original anymore after having played games like Age of Empires 3, Warcraft and such.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Played it like two hours of campaign last night.

Performance wise it was ok, it ran ok, but from time to time it stutters. I don't know what's going on.

It has some other minor issues, but overall it's a great remake. I'd like to have a way to switch the music order though

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wish there were an option to disable the automatic pausing when the game window is out of focus, especially since AoE2 DE doesn't do this. I like to deplete a map of its natural resources before completing the final objective, which, needless to say, can take quite a long time, so it'd be nice if I could leave the game running in the background.

The XBL integration is entirely optional, even for MP.

Edit: I wouldn't expect this to carry over to titles like Gears 5 and the MCC, though, as those store pages list an XBL account as a requirement.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I wish there was more effort on the UI, the plain solid menus at every screen except the landing one does not do the game justice.

Also curiously the 'Zoom Details' option in the game appears to control the actual resolution of the game assets and not the actual zoom levels (you can still zoom out a bit).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
AoE age of rome was the first PC game i bought with my own money. I rememeber pouring hours seeing the sketches of the units in the manual. The memories...
Does this version come with the map creator?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wish there were an option to disable the automatic pausing when the game window is out of focus, especially since AoE2 DE doesn't do this. I like to deplete a map of its natural resources before completing the final objective, which, needless to say, can take quite a long time, so it'd be nice if I could leave the game running in the background.

Yay:

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition - Update 28529 said:
The game no longer auto-pauses when switching focus away from the game.

AoE age of rome was the first PC game i bought with my own money. I rememeber pouring hours seeing the sketches of the units in the manual. The memories...
Does this version come with the map creator?

Yep.