• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
aj0c06i.gif

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Which was a questionable idea, given that among the "big" of the genre AoE has always been THE base-building-centric RTS and its audience loved it for it.
Oh, for sure. The reason why AoK was so huge was because it attracted a whole swathe of different players- from hardcore multi-player scene, to custom Scenario designers, to people who just liked to build pretty towns and then comp-stomp/face friends in LAN.

The "town-building" aspect was a huge part why the game was so accessible, imo; trying to remove those "city-builder lite" elements and streamlining eco, is what would turn off a lot of the casual player base.

-which is why I'm saying that Cossacks was a better iteration on the AoE formula. It kept the base-building and massive armies, while introducing more cool elements like resource upkeep, ability to capture workers and some buildings, and (optional) formations.

Honestly, if GSC had the resources to make a Cossacks-style RTS but with the same scope as Empire: Total War (in terms of civ variety), that'd be my dream game.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I thought 3 wasn't that great, but still play AoE2 (remaster) regularly.
This looks closer to how 2 worked, so that's good. Definitely on my list.

Oct 31, 2017
Dawn of War 2 was also very different to Dawn of War 1
But it had its own CORE appeal, which is precisely what I'm talking about.
Still, DoW2 was generally well received but very divisive.
DOW3 on the other hand missed that capacity to identify a central appeal, turning into an insipid middle ground between the two predecessors and ending up being almost universally loathed.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Just bought Age of Empires II on Steam in preparation for the 4. It looks freaking good.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty bad to me. Something off with the graphics or art style or something.

I loved the series back when I was a teenager, though, so I'll keep an eye on this.

Jan 11, 2020

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
The scale of the units relative to buildings and props (arrows) is kinda weird looking, and the unit shadows are low-res, but I think it looks nice otherwise. There's certainly a lot going on in each scene. I expected a bit more visually as Relic's RTSes have tended to push the envelope graphically. Company of Heroes in 2008 looked insane and still looks amazing today.

The gameplay looks like a logical advancement of AOE2, for better or worse. It's not pushing the timeline forward as AOE1>2>3 did, but it makes sense for them to build on the most popular game in the series.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The combat animations are all over the place. Some seem way too fast, some really slow. Also yeah those arrows really need to change. Kind of a shame because a good amount of the game looks quite nice, but some parts really stick out. Hopefully they have time (or make time) to change them.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Wasn't the third game released like 15 years ago? Such a massive gap.

Microsoft acquisition mismanagement and Ensemble itself veering off it's formula killed the developer and the series. They're finding that there's still a ton of interest for a genre that has largely been ignored outside of starcraft 2 and dota.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
While I have fond memories of AOE1 way back in the day, I wouldn't say I have any deep attachment to the series. But it sure warms my heart to see a big RTS getting hype. I love that MS is investing in AOE and the genre, it's been way too long and I'll always love RTS games in a way that MOBAs can't match.

I'm also really hoping that World's Edge isn't just an AOE house but works on strategy games in general, serving different subgenres. Like AOE as their core PC franchise, maybe they do another Age of Mythology where things can be more experimental, and also Halo Wars or a Halo Wars spiritual successor console RTS.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
the classic gameplay looks good, but honestly the graphics seemed quite a bit downgraded in the gameplay trailer than what they were showing off before.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Oh man this looks amazing. The landscapes look like paintings. Really in love with the artstyle here.

Really curious how the campaigns will turn out. 3 hours of historical documentaries + 4 Age of Empires campaigns. It will probably not be as much content as Age of Empires 2, but enough to look forward to.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
This looks soulless and stale. Graphics are okay but artistically it is lacking.

Deflating.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Can we get some comparison shots between XO19 and this to get people to realize that there hasn't been any significant downgrade and what appears to be mostly just color grading changes.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a nitpick, but I hate how these games use modern historical conceptions for the civilizations, and are so inconsistent about it. Like "China" wasn't a nation during this time period. But weirdly, they did the right thing with Delhi Sultanate, instead of just calling it "India".

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Kind of a nitpick, but I hate how these games use modern historical conceptions for the civilizations, and are so inconsistent about it. Like "China" wasn't a nation during this time period. But weirdly, they did the right thing with Delhi Sultanate, instead of just calling it "India".
What would China be called? Mongolians? I honestly don't know and googling isn't super clear because of dynasties and such.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Another thought - I wish they had made the building more to scale. I know it was like this in previous games - but it would be really cool to be able to build an absolutely imposing castle

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Looks like a painting. I really like the artstyle, but seeing the response online it's a little divisive. :P

ss_4913d12e537dcad1db5f2e721b64580e15f2fd96.1920x1080.jpg

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Overall, I'm really liking the look of this. Will definitely be picking it up Day 1, but I'm a huge AOE fan. Very curious about the campaigns, and looking forward to seeing the differing play styles of the civs. The landscapes are very pretty too. I really hope this is successful and receives plenty of future support. I want the franchise to be fully back on track with a future AOE5 coming down the line!

Agreed that some of the animations look weird, a lot of the cavalry movement seemed off, and of course the arrow fire. Also, is it just me, or did the frame rate seem to really tank at certain parts? Like when seiges were happening and gates were falling. Hope that gets smoothed out by release.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017

Delhi Sultanate appears to be the exception again, like the Shang for Chinese in AoE I.

For China, at least IV's game mechanics will acknowledge its dynasties of the post-classical period.

The Dynasties
Dynasties are a unique trait of the Chinese civilization. With their ability to build all landmarks at any Age, two from the same age triggers a Dynasty of their choosing for unique bonuses, buildings, and units.

The Tang Dynasty focuses on exploration, giving speed and vision bonuses for Scouts. The Song Dynasty focuses on population boom, giving access to the Village building and the Repeater Crossbow unit. The Yuan Dynasty focuses on food boom, giving access to the Granary building and Fire Lancer unit. Lastly, the Ming Dynasty focuses on military advantage, giving access to the Pagoda building and Grenadier unit.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like a painting. I really like the artstyle, but seeing the response online it's a little divisive. :P

ss_4913d12e537dcad1db5f2e721b64580e15f2fd96.1920x1080.jpg

I haven't seen a whole lot of complaints about the terrain. For one I think it looks great.

The complaints seem more about the building, unit proportions and the arrows looking very rough. It's still in development and I've heard they used a months-old build for this which is pretty standard for trailers and such.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I haven't seen a whole lot of complaints about the terrain. For one I think it looks great.

The complaints seem more about the building, unit proportions and the arrows looking very rough. It's still in development and I've heard they used a months-old build for this which is pretty standard for trailers and such.

Not too worried yet about the animations. Do think the units could've been a little more high res. Especially the infantry.

Oct 29, 2017
Not too worried yet about the animations. Do think the units could've been a little more high res. Especially the infantry.

I was watching the trailer again and they did have the camera zoomed in a lot, which I think is a mistake most trailers of top-down 3D games tend to make. They tend to zoom in way further than you ever would during real gameplay. Dunno why it's done so often, as it makes the games look far uglier than they actually are.