• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
aoe4_campaign_002.jpg

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Its like both of those. including the pvp. It has both a campaign and pvp like most other rts games, including starcraft and red alert.
Oh okay, just for me to have an idea. I liked both of those games but played them very minimally.
Civilization never took to me, so that's good that Age is nothing like it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The godfather returns, can't wait to get stuck into this. Had so many fond memories of the previous entries

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Looking good. Curious to see what unique mechanics the civs will have, beyond just unit rosters.

Hopefully they're able to up the unit counts at least to 500 per side. The bigger the battles, the better.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Awesome.

Whilst I could never get on with AO3, 1 and 2 and all the expansions and HD remakes are still incredible fun.

Really looking forward to this

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Think we all need to be prepared for early 2022 tho. Wich is fine and expected

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like how the units look, especially when they're fighting. I get it, they want everything to be perfectly visible for even the most zoomed-out boomer, but this just goes too far. I mean holy shit look at the fricking arrows lmao

But I like how they're going for more pronounced differences between cultures. The way it used to be in AoE, e.g. every culture fielding knights, has always been ridiculous.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The game looks incredible but I can't really wrap my head around the fact they are adding coop and new campaigns to the older games. I know many would argue it's counterproductive to the sales of IV, but I'm sure it helps them in many other ways like building community. Regardless, I think it's remarkable.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's similar to Red Alert but with more of a focus on building resource pipelines to build combat units.
But less so than Anno

If you're interested. AoE 2 definitive edition is the one to play.
What's the difference between them, 1, 2 and 3?

What is 3 missing that 2 did better?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

1 is almost a prototype. Very, very primitive in a lot of ways. 3 changed up a bunch of stuff and is generally just not as well received, leaving 2 as the, well, definitive edition.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I think the tech here looks really cool, but something about the cartoony art style + maybe rose-tinted glasses makes SC2 look higher fidelity in comparison.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

3 is a classic example of fixing something that wasn't broken.

3 tried to make the game more micro-intensive by reducing base-building, limiting the number of defensive structures you could put on the map, as well as introducing a trading card metagame, that added a lot of randomness to the game.

It also tried to introduce ahistorical campaigns, which was another major departure from the formula.

Overall, it was an experiment, rather than iteration.

Cossacks: European Wars is a better AoE 3 than AoE 3 proper.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

One of the differences is the eras.

1 is about 2000+ years ago
2 is about 1000ish years ago
3 is about a few hundred years ago

All three have got definitive editions remasterings which have made them full 3d.

However 2 is the one which got an official HD edition back in 2013.
And without that the others wouldn't have been remastered.

Quite cool is that it was a mod team that made unofficial expansions which became the dev team for AOE2:HD.

2 very much refined the systems of 1.
But 3 changes a lot of things and feels like a different game and didn't catch on.
2 is a deeper game in my my opinion.

You can see the twitch stats show AOE2 is where it's at. haha.
Xh26R3r.png

Oct 31, 2017
3 tried to make the game more micro-intensive by reducing base-building, limiting the number of defensive structures you could put on the map, as well as introducing a trading card metagame, that added a lot of randomness to the game.
Which was a questionable idea, given that among the "big" of the genre AoE has always been THE base-building-centric RTS and its audience loved it for it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, AoE really set itself apart from the others by having stuff like extra resource requirements (4 to SC's 2), walls, towers, keeps, etc etc. You could build a fortress, not just a production facility for your armies. Very glad that they seem to be sticking with that here.

And I gotta say, I'm a little surprised to see all the complaints about the graphics in other threads; it looks great to me. Clean, very readable, but lots of nice little details. It's a smidge cartoony, but that's a stylistic decision, and a smart one, IMO. Maybe animations could stand to be more fluid, but c'est la vie.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Which was a questionable idea, given that among the "big" of the genre AoE has always been THE base-building-centric RTS and its audience loved it for it.
The point of making a sequel is to make a new game rather than carbon copying all the systems. Sometimes it doesn't work out too well, but better that than not trying IMO.

I played so much AOE1 and 2 back in the day that I'm burnt out on them to this day, but I'll definitely check AOE4 out.

Oct 31, 2017
The point of making a sequel is to make a new game rather than carbon copying all the systems. Sometimes it doesn't work out too well, but better that than not trying IMO.

I played so much AOE1 and 2 back in the day that I'm burnt out on them to this day, but I'll definitely check AOE4 out.
The point of making a sequel in the same series rather than a new franchise is also to identify what's the specific appeal of your game and to build on that, not to throw away the core of it just to try different things... Or at very least you should be sure to have ANOTHER unique appeal to replace what you are removing.

Otherwise you have a... Dawn of War III.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this PC only or Xbox Series too?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The point of making a sequel in the same series rather than a new franchise is also to identify what's the specific appeal of your game and to build on that, not to throw away the core of it just to try different things... Or at very least you should be sure to have ANOTHER unique appeal to replace what you are removing.

Otherwise you have a... Dawn of War III.
DoW is sort of an interesting example of this exactly - DoW1 was a totally different game than DoW2, and in DoW3 they pulled out the RP mechanics from 2 in favor of slightly higher unit counts and really big units, and it just wasn't enough to make it interesting.