• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I own age of empires 2 DE and AOE 3 complete edition on steam and no discount available for me, why? :(

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Fun game, excited to try the new civs. And a great price. Hope they keep supporting it one way or another, the whole card system introduces a lot of possibilities for future updates.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Not a big fan of AoE 3, will wait for it to become cheaper.

What I really want is a Rise of Nations remake.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hate this game, probably the worst in the franchise, but man, that trailer makes me wanna try.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
They put more work into this than I thought they would have. It's closer to AOE2DE than AOEDE.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Lots more than just texture changes. All 3D assets were rebuilt. =)

One thing I'm most happy with is that you can clearly see cliff lines now no matter what angle. No more losing a cliff in texture blending!

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
Amazing work.

EgdyhTGUYAAAJdz

EgdyhTaUcAExbOx

EgdyhTzUMAAEyPn

EgdyhUIU4AAR3EI

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As expected, doesn't look too much different from the original product. It looks gorgeous to this day and was an absolute stunner back in 2005. Main thing I was hoping for was redone unit models, and if the post above is any indication, they've nailed it.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
The rebuilt 3D models look incredible, I'm hoping the team release new comparisons for the remainder of gamescom.

Can we expect changes to Home City customisation and levelling, plus improvements like pathfinding making its way through? III for me was always about the singleplayer and coop with mates, but it'd be great to learn more about the plans for balance and new multiplayer system in place.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
$20 is an absolute steal. Plus the graphics enhancements are nice. And I love this style of game in general, too bad it has sort of died out at least in the AAA space. Wishlisted for Day 1.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
holy cow those model redos. That is so faithful. Incredible. This is exactly what remasters should be. It almost looks like the originals are scaled down versions of these remodels. Awesome.

Honestly serious kudos to Microsoft for not forgetting Age of Empires 3. It was never the popular one, and I feel like any other publisher (aHEM Warner AHeme BRotAHEMers) would have just left 3 in the background.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The best AoE.

Anyone know if the online actually works, it is it another AoEIIDE situation?

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018

One thing I'm most happy with is that you can clearly see cliff lines now no matter what angle. No more losing a cliff in texture blending!
Well done MR Isgreen. This edition looks incredibile.

Are there any plans to share more info on AOE4 this year?

Oct 19, 2018

Looking forward to playing this beauty on my Xbox! Right? Soonish? Maybe laterish? Certainly at some point for sure...?

Either way AoE III is my favorite of the three so this looks great, and its been awesome to see the whole series given this wonderful treatment.

Now all we need is IV... and maybe AoM.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Really so happy with how Microsoft has handled these Definitive Editions. AoE has been one of my favourite franchises for literally decades, I've never stopped playing it. For a while, I thought the franchise was done, especially with Ensemble closing and rts in general fading throughout the 2000's.

These remasters/remakes have been exactly how I would want them to be redone. Faithful to the originals, modernising in all the right areas, adding extra content that gels with the original, and in the case of AoE2, continual support. And reasonable pricing!

I'm in day 1 and this bodes well for AoE4 I think!