• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Overall a good event. I liked the 3+ hour runs they had but it seemed like a lot of them were late night runs this time (in the US) so I missed a lot of them or only got to see about half. It was funny that I went to sleep about an hour after the FFIX run started, woke up, and it was still going, lol. I wonder how many watched the entire thing.

The awful games block was especially good this year to me but I stopped at Urban Yeti to sleep, I'll definitely have to go through that one.

The Dark Souls 3 run was probably my favorite because of the amazing combination of execution and exploitation on display. The Mario Odyssey run is a very close second because that dude was insane, for how relaxed he looked and behaved while playing he seemed exhausted at the end too, haha. Behind those are some of the Zelda runs, the Bloodborne run, and some other stuff I can't immediately recall.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Could not watch the metroid one but watched the Odyssey one to the end. Great stuff

Top 10 for me for now, as someone who is unemployed and had all the free time in the world to watch most live but still have some VODs to watch :

1) Megaman X Relay Race
The pure syncronicity of some of the racers and how close it is .... so much high level play all around with great commentary. It is is 3 for the price of one

2) Celeste
Insane skills mixed with great audience interaction made the summit so emotinally powerfull.

3) Mario Odyssey
Nonstop skill and great commentary. 3 hours that just fly by

4) Cuphead
MexicanRunner is one of the best speedrunners alive and Blechy is one of the best commentators alive. This is only on 4th place because the weapon swap glitch misses some bosses phases and I wanted more =P

5) Ninja Five-O
Another blechy special with a crazy good game that is insane to watch when the runner is good. Sadly the runner got a little too nervous in some parts

6) Tropical Freeze Race
Plot twists and jokes all around. And a glorious game to speedrun

7) Octopath Traveler
Fast, with cool plot twists and insanely beautiful game. The perfectr mix for an jrpg run.

8) Semblance
HalfCoordinate is always love with a cool indie game and the start of the ORB meme.

9) Avoid the Noid
My favorite of the Awful block because it is fast, simple and ridiculous. See the entire block, but this is a pretty good example if you can only watch one.

10) Trauma Center 2
Trauma Center is one of the most underated speedrun games that there is

Honorable mention : Blooborne and Castlevania 2 - Pretty bad luck in runs that are awesome to watch because how charismatic are the runners.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I missed most of the runs this year but the DS3 runner was fantastic. I love the runs that require top tier reactions on top of straight memorization. So much pressure on the runner and he still pulled it off so well.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
A few
So now that the marathon is over... what is everyone's recommended runs? :)
A few of my highlights of the week

Hollow Knight
Prey
The Awful games block (more specifically Urban Yeti, Virtual Hydalide and Home Alone 2)
Sonic Mania Plus
Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal
GTA Vice City

Still have a lot to watch as for us Brits, a lot of the big names were in the middle of the night

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone knows why Dead Cells speedrun is not on GDQ youtube channel? I saw it on this year's schedule.

SoulShimmer

Jan 22, 2018
Highlights for me:

Celeste - One of the most impressive displays of skill & execution I've seen at any GDQ outside of Tetris speedruns. Great commentary too.

ActRaiser 2 - PJ runs it, I'll always recommend any run by him. Really clutch ending too, frekin hard game.

Sanic Ball - Really funny!

Super Mario Bros 3mix - I've never seen this mod before, I was super entertained & the commentary was great.

LoZ: TP- Just a solid 3D Zelda speedrun. I've always enjoyed watching this run at a GDQ.

Pokemon Gold race - Very entertaining for me, lots of fun donation questions & a funny couch

FFIV Free Enterprise - Another mod I never heard of and ended up being glued to this race after 5 min of watching. I love seeing the runners' reaction when they pick up bad key items. Also, it's a pretty close race between 1st & 2nd

LttP One hit KO - *sweats profusely*

Dark Souls 3 - Dude just wrecks this game, recommend for any Souls fans.

Super Metroid, reverse Boss order - Very impressive, the trips to the 1st 2 bosses are intense.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
My favorite runs:

SotC - Technically entertaining, well commented. SotC speedruns are always fun to watch
Another World - Good commentary. An old game but the art style really holds up
Aria of Sorrow TASrun - The fast technical movement is fun to watch. VB__'s commentary is spot on
Morrowind - Thoroughly broken game, good commentary, funny
MMX 1-3 relay - Great race, close to the end, great runners
MM 10 - Slurpeeninja is amazing and this run was fantastic and fun
MM Unlimited - LV Creed is classic and this run was nice; only saw the opening but I'm sure the rest was great
Doom, Doom 2 - Fun, technically well executed, informative runs
Celeste - Incredible. One of the most impressive runs of the show. Must watch
Diablo 2 - A solid run from MrLlamaSC
Sunshine Bingo - Another of the best runs of the show. Technically impressive, dramatic, excellent. Must watch
Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne - Both fantastic runs from great runners
Mario Odyssey - Bayleef's movement was so crisp, tight, impressive. The route is impressive. The game is amazing. The run up to the 2 million mark, chat's involvement, the crowd, and the announcer are compelling. Loved it

I haven't even watched half the runs though. I'm sure there were plenty more great runs.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my favorites from the event were Sonic 1, Cuphead, Celeste, Mario Sunshine Bingo, and Odyssey. There's still a lot I have to catch up on though.

Also Urban Yeti for the absurdity

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
People sleeping on the Mega Man Zero 2 run just because it was at the start of the week.

The Sonic Block was all awesome.

N++ was great.

TLoZ:LttP 1-hit KO was super hype.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
My top 5 favorite runs (that I caught live)!

1. Sonic 1 - An all around incredible run with an incredibly enthusiastic runner. He nails most of the tricks, and it's an incredible watch!

2. Rayman 2 - All an all a really great run! Very fun back-and-forth commentary between the runner (whose name escapes me) and SpikeVegeta. A really fun (and, in my opinion, underrated) watch!

3. Jak 3 - The funniest run of the event, and it made for a great watch! The runner and couch were having so much fun that it was infectious. Also super a super competent run in it's own right!

4. Mega Man Zero 2 - This is probably the most technically proficient run that I saw of the event. The runner performs incredibly, and the commentary's great to boot!

5. Cuphead - The Mexican Runner is truly one of the most (if not the most) entertaining personalities in the GDQ lineup. Although he wasn't as talkative as he was in his last CUphead run (for good reason; it was much more difficult than his prior run), it still made for an incredible watch!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
1. Sonic 1 - An all around incredible run with an incredibly enthusiastic runner. He nails most of the tricks, and it's an incredible watch!
I never really watch these live (always forget) but I honestly wish I could've watched this. It reminded me of those scenes in Happy Gilmore (I know, shut up) where he's trying to get the golf crowd all hype for his game.

The Cuphead run (which I did catch live) was insane, too. I've literally never played it but I could tell how insane TMR's skills are, especially once I realised he was the same guy who completed every NES game (including that piano teacher one).

Only other I caught live was the Pac-man CE run, mostly because I know the guy via pinball streams and such. That's also a great game to watch when done well.

Biggest disappointment was the Dead Cells run. I've played that game pretty thoroughly (125hrs+ on Switch, plus countless hours on Steam) and I had serious trouble following it. Should've just been 2P rather than 3P.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine Bingo was a real eye opener for me. I love races/randomizers and this just blew my mind as a concept.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Splatoon run was the GOAT, chuck the Jak 3 run in the bin.

Also the Sonic 1 run was amazing, I just caught up on it.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the next AGDQ is going to be so close to me has motivated me to start speedrunning.

As for what to speedrun... Uh...

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never be able to speedrun because my perfectionism would drive me insane, but I do wish I could volunteer to help with the next GDQ. I have no actual skills for something like that, but I'm sure they need some people just to run around and do mundane tasks.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never be able to speedrun because my perfectionism would drive me insane, but I do wish I could volunteer to help with the next GDQ. I have no actual skills for something like that, but I'm sure they need some people just to run around and do mundane tasks.

They generally have volunteer applications open at the same time they open general registration. I'm thinking of doing a few volunteer shifts this year if I go to SGDQ, so it's definitely worth applying!

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the Sonic 1 run. Dr Fatbody was awesome. No one does that. No big deal.

I need to look through these lists for other runs I missed. Of the ones I saw the razor thin margin runs like LttP 1 hit KO, Super Metroid RBO, Necrodancer Coda were great. So was Mario Odyssey Dark Side and the really neat Sunshine elimination bingo.

Nov 1, 2017
Finally got around to checking the Sonic Mania Race. Wow, that was brilliant!! All 3 players took the head at some point, and the finale was perfection.

Link

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
as ppl's favorites pile up, I have to toss the Fe speedrun on here. might have been because I was in a weird/sensitive mood when that one aired, but the camaraderie and jokes of the player/couch, plus how easily that game's geometry can be capitalized for speedrun trickery, turned Fe into an entirely new game for me. I still don't think of it as a particularly good video game, but I really enjoyed the experience of watching it be exploited. it's not up on YT yet, but keep an eye out for its upload for a pleasant surprise.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Pick a game you really like that you don't think you will ever get sick of because you will be playing it a lot
To add to this, make sure it's a game you're okay with never playing normally again. Once you start speed running a game, it's very hard to go back to 'chill' playing it...

So for example, if you decide to speed run a Final Fantasy game, you'll have a hard time going back and just playing it to enjoy the story after your mind and reflexes get used to skipping large parts of the world and story.

Oct 26, 2017
as ppl's favorites pile up, I have to toss the Fe speedrun on here. might have been because I was in a weird/sensitive mood when that one aired, but the camaraderie and jokes of the player/couch, plus how easily that game's geometry can be capitalized for speedrun trickery, turned Fe into an entirely new game for me. I still don't think of it as a particularly good video game, but I really enjoyed the experience of watching it be exploited. it's not up on YT yet, but keep an eye out for its upload for a pleasant surprise.
In general I prefer runs with a good overall vibe. For a marathon setting I feel like that is much more important overall. I understand that some runners prefer to be focused and require a bit of quiet and subdued commentary, and that is fine. A well executed run is engaging by itself. (as long as you are familiar with the game or the challenges)

Can I just say that this year the couch and runners did an amazing job at explaining what they were doing, giving much better insight into the tricks and skills invovled.

Nov 3, 2017
The fact that the next AGDQ is going to be so close to me has motivated me to start speedrunning.

As for what to speedrun... Uh...

Here's a quick Tutorial for Strider by Darkman76 from last year's AGDQ. Have a look. Him and SpikeVegeta also have a couple of "Speedrunning 101" videos uploaded too.

How To Strider Fast:

Tutorial starts about 24:20 if the link doesn't work.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
The Youtube channel has semmingly given up on uploading all the runs. They were doing well enough until Friday even though the uploads were a day late. They just stopped it completely over the weekend.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
The Youtube channel has semmingly given up on uploading all the runs. They were doing well enough until Friday even though the uploads were a day late. They just stopped it completely over the weekend.
Just be patient. With the marathon ending, people traveling back home etc., uploading YouTube videos can wait for a bit.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

I've taken to just using the long twitch uploads for my rewatching/catching missed runs. It saving my place between watching it has made it pretty convenent for me, but I am just letting the entire event run in the background again so may be more of a hassle if I just wanted a specific run. Know there is a list of the runs with the timestamps as well.

Edit: Found it;
https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/ad3lp0/agdq_vod_thread_2019/

AlphaTwo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Finally saw the TSABot block. Yeah, that's bad. I guess it's just not that interesting when you don't know the game it's breaking, so it just looks like a mess.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they absolutely take volunteers. If you're interested, register for an account at gamesdonequick.com and a list of available applications and their deadlines will be listed. Generally they open registration to attendees before volunteers are selected, so it's best to register as an attendee; volunteers get their registration refunded if they are selected.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they absolutely take volunteers. If you're interested, register for an account at gamesdonequick.com and a list of available applications and their deadlines will be listed. Generally they open registration to attendees before volunteers are selected, so it's best to register as an attendee; volunteers get their registration refunded if they are selected.

Just signed up. I have no A/V experience and would probably only be able to do grunt work, but I'd be happy to help so maybe it'll work out.