• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thread title

• Yes

Votes: 498 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 214 30.1%

• Total voters

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
in 4 they cut characters from Brawl and didn't bring back several of the cut ones from past games. they also cut adventure mode for 4.
in Ultimate they had to cut modes and combine modes to make it feasible to bring back everyone.

something's gonna give. if they bring back everyone and it's not just a port, then we'll have no modes outside classic and 4 player free for all. the amount of characters now is monstrous compared to back then. also, if you never noticed, they already cut and pasted a ton of characters from 4 into ultimate with almost no differences. it wouldn't be above them to cut and paste Ultimate's cast and do new modes.

that was a completely different situation. if the Wii U hadn't flopped like it did, MK8 would have stayed on Wii U and we'd have a new Mario Kart by now (and MK8 Deluxe never got any kind of paid DLC.)
I don't think that matters. People wont be pissed if all the characters returned and they added new stuff

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
if they have to cut a bunch of characters they're fucked. would be a very tough pill to swallow losing characters like banjo or cloud. that ain't pichu or dr. mario.

I'd honestly be ok with them re-releasing and adding to Ultimate for the rest of time if it meant keeping all those characters

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anything less than not having all the characters will be disappointing esp if my mains aren't in the next game

If that's the case they should just keep porting ultimate and don't make another one

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a shit what they do if they don't make the netcode better. They could cut 70% of the roster as long as the netcode is better

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
After the second season of dlc , Smash ultimate will have 85 playable characters, it is a certainty that the next game won't be able to surpass this game atleast in terms of character count.
Sakurai said numerous times that including all characters was a herculean task and to not expect it again.
Also including 85 characters in the next game's base roster will not be a financially viable option with so many companies and IPs involved.

So how should the series proceed? A total reboot with new gameplay but far less character or retain as many character as possible and offering the rest as dlc? Or ditch the present dlc characters and instead add new characters only?
FmipPBYeMJi5BorHCBVYPR-1024-80.jpg

No matter what they do, cutting 20-30 characters from the base roster won't be taken lightly by the vocal fanbase and will result in a massive backlash. What can Nintendo do to prevent it?
Honestly It should be the last game they should just port it to new consoles and sustain DLC and Expansions for SP content.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they do a reboot do a 20 person roster add others as DLC but completely change characters moves especially the ones that dont play anything like they should. Fix the netcode its unplayable.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Their only hope is to cut EVERY existing character and totally rebuild the roster, starting with Waluigi.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Honestly, I can't think of any better solution than reboot the brand and make some sort of 3d fighting game or something else. Ultimate is already perfect and I can't see a particular change that needs to be done or something that can improve the experience more than this one. The only thing I can think of is more characters, but that's it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I feel like a cinematic sorry mode would be a waste of resources compared to working on other parts of the game in terms of content (Ex: Character-specific Break the Targets). Though perhaps an upgraded version of Melee's Adventure Mode would suffice. Plus rollback netcode would be a huge improvement, & catching Smash up to modern times with regards to online.

The big issue is a lot of the stuff in this thread isn't going to appeal to a large chunk of buyers. Casuals who make up a big part of Smash sales aren't going to care about rollback netcode let alone see it as a reason to buy 15+ million copies.

They're going to see less characters and wonder "why". There'd definitely need to be some big additions to make up for the Hypothetical 30+ character cut that would manage to appeal to your regular consumer.

Similar to how MK9 would likely need to be on par with MK8:D content wise.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Been thinking about how you could further refine the Ultimate roster in a new game along the lines of echoes to limit the number of characters cut. Assuming every single character was able to return but we wanted to refine the roster, here's what I'd personally do (which I'm sure is gonna piss a lot of people off):

Make Dark Samus, Falco, Daisy, Dr Mario, Lucina, Chrom, Dark Pit, Ken and Richter all frame data perfect costumes/variants of their respective counterparts. I feel like all of these characters having individual slots and occasionally impossibly small frame data changes merely contributes to roster bloat.

Even though Richter is better than Simon. But seriously regardless of your feelings on whether or not Pokémon or Fire Emblem has too much representation we can all agree that Dark Pit only takes up an entire slot on the roster because of Papa Sakurai's personal preferences.

The fact that costumes/complete cosmetic overhaul variants aren't a thing in Smash outside of a few characters like Bowser Jr. and Olimar blows my mind. People would pay good money for that on top of the RRP.

If you have to cut characters, my picks are:

Pichu - Pokémon is guilty of the same over-representation problem as FE, and Pichu just reeks of "well he was in Melee because he was new then". I can't suggest cutting FE characters without cutting Pokémon too.

I'd be tempted to put Jigglypuff for the same merit, simply being popular in Japan doesn't mean Jiggly ISN'T an outlier in terms of the Pokémon picked to represent the series. That said, Jiggs has unique moves and a creative playstyle so I don't think it'd be right to cut them.

Young Link - If it'd be at all possible to make Yink a frame perfect costume for Tink, I'd say do it. Otherwise, 3 Links is too many and there are plenty of other Zelda characters that'd be great replacements in this slot.

Corrin - There are too many FE reps. Corrin seems to be universally hated amongst FE fans because of the quality of Fates generally, and Corrin being included in Smash before their game had even released still stings a bit. Weirdly, I quite like how Corrin plays compared to other FE reps, I don't know how overtuned they might be as a casual player though. That said, if other FE characters merely became costumes/variants of other characters and reduced the FE roster percentage, Corrin may not need face the chopping block.

Lucario/Greninja/Incineroar - Not ALL of them, but the problem with Pokémon reps is they always feel extremely flavour-of-the-month to tie in to the most recently released generation at the time of Smash's release. If you're a Pokémon from Gens 3, 5 or 8 you've just lost your shot at Smash stardom because of bad timing (at present, anyway). I was tempted to put Mewtwo here because I hate how they play and feel but even *I* think that'd be intentionally inflammatory. Plus they're a good series rep.

As sour as I was on Byleth's reveal being the last character in FP1, they at least do a better job of representing FE's weapon triangle system than any other FE rep in the game. Though the fact they weren't default female or the fact it wasn't Edelgard is kinda baffling given the distinct lack of female representation in Smash. People literally call the series Waifu Emblem and the only canonically female FE fighter in Smash is Lucina... something went horribly wrong there.

If any DLC fighter gets the cut, I'd put Plant in the composting heap. Unique playstyle but Mario has so much of the roster (rightly) locked down and Plant is just one too far for me. Plant over someone like Captain Toad or Waluigi seems off to me. And Plant's final smash always underwhelmed me too.

PLEASE BE KIND AND DON'T TAKE ANY OF THIS TO HEART TOO MUCH THESE ARE JUST MY POTENTIAL THOUGHTS IN ONE SCENARIO AND I DON'T WANNA BE DEALIN' WITH PEOPLE TAKING IT TOO SERIOUSLY.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with the "definitive edition" on the Switch successor. All DLC included. Improved models and animations, a handful more characters on top of the enormous roster. Cap the series at 100 fighters. Count all echo fighters as their own slot. Pile on a bunch more obvious echo fighters like Funky Kong.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I think they should possibly redo the roster to be more first party focused, there's still a lot of first party characters I think they could include.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
That said, I do like Incineroar's goofy wrestling heel playstyle. Even if I think he's kinda trash as an actual fighter.

I think the problem with Ultimate is that it really has, in a weird way, over-delivered. There's a weird finality to it that people now don't wanna let go of understandably. The wider gaming history representation side of it was only really cemented for me with Ultimate. Before you got cool first party reveals and a few insane third party ones like Cloud, Sonic and Snake. I don't think at the time of those reveals people ever thought these characters would stick around in the series forever.

When Ultimate brought everyone back and expanded with even more crazy third party crossovers it's kinda warped the wider significance of Smash beyond anything it had been previously. Not complaining or saying I think it's a bad thing, but I don't think characters like Pichu were designed to or should stick around forever.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If we had a "regular" Smash next and certain characters were cut, I wonder if Plant would make it back

It's sort of a weird gimmicky bonus character whose not particularly popular

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
There is one thing that only Smash could pull off that I've always wanted them to do. Give us original characters based off of cut designs and cancelled games. Give me that cyborg Link design from BotW concept art as a character and have him go up against a pokemon that never made the cut.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Well all they really need to do is release a Smash Bros with no Fire Emblem characters at all and it will be more ultimate than ultimate.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Back when we thought Ultimate was going to be Smash 4 Remastered, I was advocating for Smash Switch to be a back-to-basics reset, cut the roster back to 36 (the original 12, 12 from Melee/Brawl/For, and 12 new characters), then begin overhauling the core gameplay. How, exactly, I don't know, I've never been as invested in fighting game mechanics as others, but essentially start a new franchise with the same core concepts (simple inputs, ring-outs instead of health bars, Nintendo crossover). Then do it all again, building up to an "Ultimate" roster.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will be a repeat of the Pokemon thing, where people are upset it has a much smaller roster than before.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I see this game as a "Dream Match," and fully expect a reduced roster if there's another game. Original roster + whatever is fun/relevant. Might mean losing characters like Bowser Jr, ROB, Dark Samus, maybe even Falco.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's likely impossible that they'll ever be able to top Ultimate, but no... I don't think they'll be in trouble.

They've clearly set up the expectation that Ultimate is the final big blowout, and they have a potential clean exit strategy for the next Smash: Simply revert back to exclusively featuring Nintendo IP, that way there's no hard feelings about what third-party characters did or didn't make the cut.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
ww5umGq.png

100+ fighters, baby! Let's get it!

Geno: Honestly don't know how I feel about Geno's inclusion anymore. It's been a meme for so long and I have no personal attachment to the character or any idea if they'd even be a good inclusion.

Paper Mario: KING Inclusion Let's GET IT.

Dixie Kong: Yep.

Wolf Link & Midna: YEP.

Pig Ganon: This would be really cool.

Medusa: This or Magnus as long as we also kill Dark Pit in the process.

Susie: No strong feelings one way or the other.

Lyn: She seems cool as an AT and FE/Smash needs more femreps.

Krystal: Why DID this never happen? Because of the MS/Rare fallout?

Sceptile: Ew. (No shade just... not for me)

Isaac: People want him but I have no personal attachment.

Ring Athlete: If we can have WFT, we can have Ring Athlete.

Dr Eggman: A second Sonic rep only makes sense.

Arle: Eh.

Chun-Li: If this doesn't happen in FP2 something has gone horribly wrong.

Monster Hunter: Wouldn't be too jazzed but it's a huge franchise.

Ms Pac-Man: Still trying to wrap my head around why this wasn't a variant outfit or echo at all.

Nightmare: I think I'd rather see Tekken repped with Heihachi but SC makes sense too.

Lara Croft: I genuinely don't know how to feel whenever I see LC suggested. I want more female representation but I also kinda think old Lara's had her day and modern Lara would be a very odd fit. Maybe an original Smash take like Simon and Richter would be the best approach?

Master Chief: Still personally torn on whether I'd want Chief in Smash but it'd be very neat to have a primarily projectile focused fighter.

Crash: WOAH! I don't want Crash but can never pinpoint why.

Ryu Hayabusa: He's the last of the NES old guard and as long as he got a NES style design I'd be fine with it.

Shantae: They clearly have indies on the radar with the Sans and Cuphead costumes, and Shantae would fill the Indie rep slot and provide female representation with a cool and unique moveset, let's pray for Shantae.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
I'm thinking Sakurai retires from Smash and we get a reboot...

Two consoles from now. Switch II is gonna be Ultimate Deluxe like with what they did with MK8

Misuta

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Germany
Krystal: Why DID this never happen? Because of the MS/Rare fallout?

Krystal was considered as a potential playable character [in Brawl] during development, but was passed over in favor of Wolf, both because of time constraints and because Wolf's movement and animations would be more similar to Fox's and would require less development.

www.ssbwiki.com

Krystal

Krystal is a character from the Star Fox series. A later addition to Team Star Fox, she also serves as a love interest to Fox McCloud.
sourcegaming.info

Sakurai answers some (old) questions– about Brawl!

These questions were part of a two-part article that was published shortly after Brawl’s release, in the magazine Nintendo Dream, featuring a bunch of reader questions, which Sakurai answered…

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
More tournament-legal stages
There are plenty of tournament legal stages in Smash U, but the competitive scene is extremely conservative and won't allow a ton of stages that don't have any glaring flaws like WarioWare, Mementos, and Castle Siege.

We could get some decent variety but no, Pokemon Stadium 2 until the end of time.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
I think Smash would sell well no matter what they did.

So, with that said, I think they should cut 60% to 70% of the roster, or even leave just the roster of Smash 64, and then fill the rest game with some of the myriad of characters they made Spirits.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Krystal was considered as a potential playable character during development, but was passed over in favor of Wolf, both because of time constraints and because Wolf's movement and animations would be more similar to Fox's and would require less development.

www.ssbwiki.com

Krystal

Krystal is a character from the Star Fox series. A later addition to Team Star Fox, she also serves as a love interest to Fox McCloud.
sourcegaming.info

Sakurai answers some (old) questions– about Brawl!

These questions were part of a two-part article that was published shortly after Brawl’s release, in the magazine Nintendo Dream, featuring a bunch of reader questions, which Sakurai answered…

Trying to process that Sakurai "women are too hard to animate'd" us 12 years ago and I only just learned about it.

[I know this is different but the fact we didn't get Krystal over Wolf hurts]

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I don't quite agree with the argument around the financial viability of third party characters as I find it hard to believe Nintendo are paying for the IP in all of those cases.

Remember Smash outsells a lot of the franchises those characters come from.

If I could get my franchise character on the smash roaster the exposure is payment enough. For example I'd be surprised if Nintendo had to pay for Banjo.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't quite agree with the argument around the financial viability of third party characters as I find it hard to believe Nintendo are paying for the IP in all of those cases.

If I could get my franchise character on the smash roaster the exposure is payment enough. For example I'd be surprised if Nintendo had to pay for Banjo.
If anything how well the game sales would make companies want more. Dlc is probably easier since the 3rd party up owner can get a percentage. But the people in the base game likely required some kind of upfront payment or a percentage.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There is one thing that only Smash could pull off that I've always wanted them to do. Give us original characters based off of cut designs and cancelled games. Give me that cyborg Link design from BotW concept art as a character and have him go up against a pokemon that never made the cut.
missingno would break the internet

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

No smart business person is gonna be fine with payment in "exposure"

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
they should obviously cut all the characters that were only in because of ultimate's gimmick. yl and pichu, im looking at you. i just want them to rework lucario and little mac.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Today has been a learning experience
Indeed. AtGames is a piece of shit, though, and even though they have royalty rights now, they're completely useless because Namco won't let them make anything with Ms. Pac-Man. This sadly also means we won't see Ms. Pac-Man from Namco either for a while...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As sour as I was on Byleth's reveal being the last character in FP1, they at least do a better job of representing FE's weapon triangle system than any other FE rep in the game. Though the fact they weren't default female or the fact it wasn't Edelgard is kinda baffling given the distinct lack of female representation in Smash. People literally call the series Waifu Emblem and the only canonically female FE fighter in Smash is Lucina... something went horribly wrong there.
When you put it that way, it's both hilarious & sad.