• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
If you were conscious in 1999, you undoubtedly had a Pokemon card collection. I was a feverish fan of the card game from 1999 all the way to the year... 2000. I started post-1st edition of the Base Set, and quit after the Rocket set. According to Google, the Rocket set came out in April 2000 and the next set was Gym Heroes in August 2000, so I quit sometime around then.

I was mostly a collector. I did play a bit, but none of my friends were seriously into it (though I did love the GBC game). But the real joy of Pokemon cards was selling cards for cash. My friends and I would bring our cards to school and basically had a black market going. My biggest haul in one day was $35. Dude, that's like the price of a Game Boy game. Pokemon inexplicably got banned from my school, but I doubt that ban still stands today.

ANYWAYS, although I only collected the cards for about a year, I never thought about getting rid of them. Never sold them in any yard sales, never gave them away. After I moved out for college, I entrusted my priceless binder to my mom. I forgot about them for the longest time until Pokemon Go, where my mom said she still had my cards and was interested in selling them. She insists that they are worth something, but doesn't understand my thorough explanation about first edition shadowless cards and how I don't have any. I made it so clear! Earlier this year she once again reminded me that she had them, and gave them to me the last time we met up.

So after nearly twenty years of barely seeing them, I now have in possession my PRICELESS collection. Is this collection amazing? Not at all, I'm sure many have better collections on this very forum. But it is a quirky time capsule.

EG0S42gU0AA0c2Z

Opening up the binder greets you with a page of holographics and a Pokemon Neo card file my grandma bought me off of QVC. These Pokemon didn't even exist yet in the states, do you understand how CRAZY this shit was? I specifically put holographics in the first page to show people I was selling them too, but other holographics are scattered across the binder. Notice the 1st edition Machamp holographic I thought was badass until I learned that literally everyone had it. My mom actually won the Clefairy card for me in a story too long to tell, and I'm glad I never sold it.

EG0S424UUAAo29N

The Neo card file. Out of the blue, my grandma, an avid QVC watcher, told me that they were going to have a Pokemon segment and that she would buy me something. Nothing caught my eye until this, cards of the new starters. Hard to see, but the final evos are all holographic. Although I hawked a lot of my holos, these were not for sale. I find it pretty crazy that I can now read them.

EG0S425U4AAJzS2

Although originally I organized cards by type, it got too much of a hassle to rearrange them so I just shoved them wherever. You can see a mix of Jungle, Fossil, and Rocket type cards here. Rocket introduced DARK versions of Pokemon. While the TCG has a ton of these altered Pokemon nowadays, it was very novel at the time.

EG0S-oYVAAIVoqI

Although I remember ordering the Gold/Silver starters from QVC, I have ZERO idea that I had other Japanese cards. I guess I ordered them from QVC at the same time? I have no English Gen II Pokemon cards. Up in the top is a Mew promo card, from something, and the Pokemon Breeder is actually from the Base Set reprints hence the 2.

EG0S-pKU4AAyaKS

The hell is a "Pocket Monster"????

EG0S-qFUUAMoYck

Bill, the GOAT card. Also a huge fan of late 90s CGI card design. Ignore that Moo Moo Milk card you saw nothing moving on

EG0TF9BU8AAo9Cz

I typically stacked Pokemon like this, with the most interesting card on top and other versions in the back. I do have some Pokemon split up by sets for seemingly no reason. It's hard to know what I was thinking, if anything.

EG0TQYTVAAAM0Y6

Some of the original cards are more prominent here. As you can see this was my weak attempt to organize them by type and number until my collection spun out of control. Ivysaur evolves into Butterfree, right?

EG0TF-lVUAAosM8

Some promo cards, the first two were handed out during the first Pokemon movie. I have no idea what that other Mewtwo promo is from, but it is SICK.

EG0TQYVUEAYc7Tw

Top row features holos that were apparently not good enough to be on the first page.

EG0TQYPVAAAb_RB

BRING BACK IMPOSTER OAK

EG0TF8gUcAAo9Ap

I call this the HALL OF ENERGY

Just a few pages of my collection. I don't have that many holos because, well, I sold them. You think I was going to turn away $15 for my holo Zapdos? I was just a child ok, A CHILD. Also I have no idea where my Ancient Mew card is. Did I sell it? How dumb can one person be?

I do kind of feel the urge to complete my collection, at least Base-Rocket. With online shopping it's easier than ever I suppose. I'm sure if I googled "Pokemon Base Set Complete Collection" I would have more than a few hits, but it wouldn't be the same. It feels like cheating just to buy the cards straight up from a faceless website. The fun was trading with friends, trying to figure out which cards you really wanted, and hoping that with each pack you had some huge get that you could flip for even more cards.

Anyways, share your Pokemon card collection/memories/million dollar offers.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
lmao, I still have that Neo set too. Was so disappointed when I found out it wasn't really worth anything

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
While I have no idea how your collection "ranks" since I have zero TCG experience, the OP was a lovely read. Seeing a lot of the old-school artwork, be it Sugimori or otherwise, always brings a joy to my heart.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Nice, OP. I went looking for my old cards a while ago, only to find out my dad had given them all away. :lol

Nov 8, 2017
Oh hey, I owned the Japanese promotional set you've got pictures of. I gave it to a coworker to give to their kid about a month ago, since frankly I was never going to use it or sell it. I bought it with my family when we went on a holiday to Japan, so it was nostalgic, but I knew they'd appreciate it more than me.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Well your collection is better than mine, but I do have some fond memories associated with it. My dad went on a business trip to Japan and bought me some Japanese card packs. I also went to Comic Con in 2004, before it was nearly as big as it is now, and got a Manectric card as a gift. I got back into the card game recently but just print proxies

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
That's really cool. Back in the day I didn't have access to sealed packages, so we could only get them at a very high price (according to my mom who never wanted to buy my siblings and me any cards lol), individually, from a store next to my school. The only one I ever had was that Horsea we can see in your pictures.

So it wasn't until the end of Gen III that I started to collect them, around the Unseen Forces / Delta Species sets. Just like you, I only collected them, never really played seriously. Gen IV I was full on buying every new set.

But at some point between Gen V and VI I kinda got lost, like, there were just too many sets coming up every 5 minutes (and they still are). But all of a sudden I got the urge to collect them again right before Gen VII came out. So I've been more in touch with the new expansions ever since, but I also put up to date with those sets I missed, buying the individual cards from that online store tcg something. That seriously is ideal, I don't have to go and buy an entire package or box that will give me tons of repeats and Trainer cards I don't care about, and I can grab just the cards I want.

But I haven't bought many cards from the original sets, well basically the whole Gen I and II, but I'll do at some point.

Right now I'm waiting for the latest set coming to America in November. Seriously, the artwork of the TCG is becoming prettier and prettier each time, like I can't at how beautiful most of the cards are (we still get the weird card every now and then).

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Nice collection, OP.

Here's mine.

I mostly collect/trade/sell Japanese holographic/promo/rare cards with the old backs (pre-e Reader sets). I have about 20 - 25,000 cards.

I also scan and log both sides of every card in my collection.

Oct 25, 2017
You really can't beat the design and look of these older cars. I'm so angry I gave mine away during my teenage "Pokemon is for kids" days.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Getting a lot of nostalgia from the Japanese card logo. I used to get Japanese cards from the local Japanese grocery store and forgot that they had a different logo.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nice collection, OP.

Here's mine.

I mostly collect/trade/sell Japanese holographic/promo/rare cards with the old backs (pre-e Reader sets). I have about 20 - 25,000 cards.

I also scan and log both sides of every card in my collection.
You totally have more than 20 cards there

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome OP. Funny enough I recently rediscovered my Pokemon cards as well. At least, they were always in my possession, but GameStop held a card game thingy a little while ago where they gave out mini booster packs. I got a Latias/Latios holo, and it inspired me to pull them out.

I collected in my younger years, but stopped after one of my binders got stolen (Anyone remember the Toys r Us weekly gatherings? Happened at one of those). Not a big binder, but it was most of my promotional cards. I had some neat vending machine ones with bizarre artwork, some Nintendo Power exclusives, but alas. It discouraged me cold turkey, I stopped just short of collecting the first 251, missing 4 Pokemon.

Looking over the cards again I decided to finish it. My binder is sorted by Pokemon number. I was missing Delibird, Misdreavus, Magcargo, and Blissey. For $4 and change on eBay, my set was complete. I took pictures after they arrived:

All 251:

My binder had a LOT of stacking.. so I pulled out most of the rares for better shots. The Latias/Latios is here too:

Some trainer cards:

these things really take me back.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love your collection, those illustrations are so iconic. I got that holo meganium in a booster pack, and still got it i think.

We need a pokemon TCG OT, the new edition coming in november has some very beautiful cards... like Wally's gallade and Gladion's Silvally!

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I gave away my cards to my nephew as a child but I remember I had all the sets all the way up to Team Rocket completed. I dropped out of the game after that until 2016 when Pokemon 25th anniversary prompted me to come back to the TCG game. I don't collect cards anymore but I do play the TCG cooperatively now. Can't wait for the Cosmic Eclipse Pre Release this weekend :)

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget getting the Japanese ____'s Chansey "super uncommon" card as a kid. I thought it was such a cool card. I had an extended family member that just happened to be taking a trip to Japan right when that set released. I was a little kid, so I had no money and definitely had no way to import cards/packs. I convinced them to buy me ONE pack... she did, she gave it to me for Christmas and it had ____'s Chansey. The number of things that had to align for me to get that card is still unbelievable to me to this day.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Very wholesome thread that speaks to me personally. I wish I had the luxury of going back to my old collection when I became interested in the series again.

When Pokémon Fever was dying out in my city, destroying your Pokémon was a rite of passage. To reject Pokémon was to signal you were now "grown up" and above the trend and you shifted from thinking Pokémon was the most important thing in the world to something childish, lame, and embarrassing. There was a lot of pressure to destroy your collection as more and more kids stopped passionately engaging with the brand. I wasn't really ready to say goodbye to my Pokémon, but because it was the cool thing to do, I sat in front of the fireplace and threw my cards in by the handful with a friend.

I did save a couple cards that were rare or special or important to me, but not long after I pushed myself to cut them up with scissors. Both times - in front of the fire and with the scissors - I deeply regretted my actions and mourned the loss of something that meant more to me than most other kids.

After I graduate high school, I was going through some storage in my closet and found a stack of Game Boy e-Reader cards from when I was a boy. I sifted through them and was surprised to find two Pokémon cards inside. After all these years, they were the only two cards I had that had survived the destruction ritual. There was something very reassuring and comforting and nostalgic to find those cards and realize I still had two left. I realized that there was still a small flame inside of me that really loved and craved Pokémon cards and I decided to start collecting again.

I started small. I was only going to get three cards (Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur). Then I thought I would just get the Base Set. Then it became Base, Jungle, and Fossil. Then Rocket. Then I thought if I was going to collect all these cards, they should be 1st Editions, so I transformed my collection in to first edition sets. I got Gym Challenge and Gym Heroes then worked my way backwards. At this point, a holographic card from the 1st Edition Base Set was usually $80-$100 per card with some massive exceptions (Charizard). It was a lot, but I was still young and decided I could do it as a longterm thing. There were 16 holographic cards. I got 6 one year, 6 in another year, and then came to a grinding halt due to the cost. I could swing a hundred bucks or so every now and then, but the last few remaining cards were going to cost a fortune. Charizard alone was going to be $1,500 (in 2013). I couldn't justify that sort of money.

So I sat with my almost complete collection, shy four cards, and considered liquidating everything and giving up. The cost of Pokémon cards was increasing and if I sold everything I'd probably make a little money back. But I couldn't bring myself to do it again. I'd already given up on Pokémon as a kid when I wasn't ready to. I wasn't going to do it again. Just in case I could never afford them, I put black pieces of paper in the sleeves where the unaffordable cards should be. It was slow and expensive but over the next few years I was able to afford the "cheaper" of the last four cards leaving only Charizard. Charizard took five years from that point to procure. In that time, its cost more than doubled.

In June 2018, with the assistance of my wife, I was finally able to buy my last card.

dfd8e5ea-0734-46fc-9wmkgx.jpeg

35f79432-ec74-4594-85ckmt.jpeg

My Pokémon are precious. It took 8 years from when I started collecting again to finally "finish" the collection I always wanted as a boy. When I finally put that Charizard away, my inner child stopped crying for the first time since I threw my original cards in to that fireplace.

I do kind of feel the urge to complete my collection, at least Base-Rocket. With online shopping it's easier than ever I suppose. I'm sure if I googled "Pokemon Base Set Complete Collection" I would have more than a few hits, but it wouldn't be the same. It feels like cheating just to buy the cards straight up from a faceless website. The fun was trading with friends, trying to figure out which cards you really wanted, and hoping that with each pack you had some huge get that you could flip for even more cards.

If you do ever want to start collecting again and you want someone to talk about it with, hit me up. My collecting has slowed down but talking about Pokémon, especially these old prints, is a great personal joy to me.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I have a really soft spot for the first Pokemon card collection.

Remember when basic Pokémon had 30Hp and made 20 of damage with two energies?

now basic pokemons have like 390HP and can inflict 200 damage to your opponent pokemon and 150 damage to every Pokémon in his bench for only one colorless energy!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
EG0TF-lVUAAosM8

Some promo cards, the first two were handed out during the first Pokemon movie. I have no idea what that other Mewtwo promo is from, but it is SICK.

The one on the right is from the VHS/DVD release of the first movie.

Just a few pages of my collection. I don't have that many holos because, well, I sold them. You think I was going to turn away $15 for my holo Zapdos? I was just a child ok, A CHILD. Also I have no idea where my Ancient Mew card is. Did I sell it? How dumb can one person be?

All time GOAT pokemon TCG card

41a7bGAJKuL.jpg

I still have mine...somewhere.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I miss being a teen back then doing all this collecting. I had that neo genesis binder too. Stuff was amazing. Also that Feraligatr was incredible! Allowed you to do however much damage you needed to do to KO something and only required 3 energy. Slowking killed it though since it was so dependent on trainers to survive. Of course, energy remove/double were OP as well and Sneasel... Man, I miss playing/collecting. I didn't throw away anything either. Still have the deck in the same deck blastoise deck box and everything all at my parents place. Maybe this Thanksgiving when I go back home (or Christmas or whatever) I'll bump this thread with my collection if I can dig it out. Anyways, RIP youth :'(

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a binder collection too! However mine is more akin to having a living dex binder, So one card of every Pokemon!

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Very wholesome thread that speaks to me personally. I wish I had the luxury of going back to my old collection when I became interested in the series again.

When Pokémon Fever was dying out in my city, destroying your Pokémon was a rite of passage. To reject Pokémon was to signal you were now "grown up" and above the trend and you shifted from thinking Pokémon was the most important thing in the world to something childish, lame, and embarrassing. There was a lot of pressure to destroy your collection as more and more kids stopped passionately engaging with the brand. I wasn't really ready to say goodbye to my Pokémon, but because it was the cool thing to do, I sat in front of the fireplace and threw my cards in by the handful with a friend.

I did save a couple cards that were rare or special or important to me, but not long after I pushed myself to cut them up with scissors. Both times - in front of the fire and with the scissors - I deeply regretted my actions and mourned the loss of something that meant more to me than most other kids.

After I graduate high school, I was going through some storage in my closet and found a stack of Game Boy e-Reader cards from when I was a boy. I sifted through them and was surprised to find two Pokémon cards inside. After all these years, they were the only two cards I had that had survived the destruction ritual. There was something very reassuring and comforting and nostalgic to find those cards and realize I still had two left. I realized that there was still a small flame inside of me that really loved and craved Pokémon cards and I decided to start collecting again.

I started small. I was only going to get three cards (Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur). Then I thought I would just get the Base Set. Then it became Base, Jungle, and Fossil. Then Rocket. Then I thought if I was going to collect all these cards, they should be 1st Editions, so I transformed my collection in to first edition sets. I got Gym Challenge and Gym Heroes then worked my way backwards. At this point, a holographic card from the 1st Edition Base Set was usually $80-$100 per card with some massive exceptions (Charizard). It was a lot, but I was still young and decided I could do it as a longterm thing. There were 16 holographic cards. I got 6 one year, 6 in another year, and then came to a grinding halt due to the cost. I could swing a hundred bucks or so every now and then, but the last few remaining cards were going to cost a fortune. Charizard alone was going to be $1,500 (in 2013). I couldn't justify that sort of money.

So I sat with my almost complete collection, shy four cards, and considered liquidating everything and giving up. The cost of Pokémon cards was increasing and if I sold everything I'd probably make a little money back. But I couldn't bring myself to do it again. I'd already given up on Pokémon as a kid when I wasn't ready to. I wasn't going to do it again. Just in case I could never afford them, I put black pieces of paper in the sleeves where the unaffordable cards should be. It was slow and expensive but over the next few years I was able to afford the "cheaper" of the last four cards leaving only Charizard. Charizard took five years from that point to procure. In that time, its cost more than doubled.

In June 2018, with the assistance of my wife, I was finally able to buy my last card.

dfd8e5ea-0734-46fc-9wmkgx.jpeg

35f79432-ec74-4594-85ckmt.jpeg

My Pokémon are precious. It took 8 years from when I started collecting again to finally "finish" the collection I always wanted as a boy. When I finally put that Charizard away, my inner child stopped crying for the first time since I threw my original cards in to that fireplace.

If you do ever want to start collecting again and you want someone to talk about it with, hit me up. My collecting has slowed down but talking about Pokémon, especially these old prints, is a great personal joy to me.
I love this. Great story.

I played the card game for a bit when it first came out. I think I bought a starter deck but no one I knew wanted to play so I got rid of my cards. I don't really need to start collecting anything else so I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
man just seeing some of those cards got me really nostalgic. Though I do wonder what percent of kids collecting the cards back in the day actually played the game lol. I know that I never even knew anything about the game rules as a kid and only really learned the basic mechanics much later in life. Though I did play Yugioh so it's not like I was unaware of the concept of playing with cards like these

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
man just seeing some of those cards got me really nostalgic. Though I do wonder what percent of kids collecting the cards back in the day actually played the game lol. I know that I never even knew anything about the game rules as a kid and only really learned the basic mechanics much later in life. Though I did play Yugioh so it's not like I was unaware of the concept of playing with cards like these

None of my close friends cared to learn even if they collected too, but I was pretty into it. I played psychic and grass decks, usually travelled to Toys R Us every weekend (thanks mom!) to trade cards and play the game.

I'd play a modern Pokémon TCG on Switch like the GBC games, those were great.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I love the TCG!

Especially the Wizards of The Coast era stuff that you've shared here and I have a modest collection too.
Nothing crazy expensive but thats the beauty of the hobby, you can collect what you like and you'll always find value. Thats what some of the big investors/collectors say, just collect what you like and you can't go wrong.

I've got what i consider to be a decent range of stuff, some sealed packs and theme decks, some graded and a decent mix of Japanese and English cards.
The Japanese cards are better quality and you'll find them cheaper, they're great fun to collect and you can complete sets pretty cheap compared to the English cards and it helps that the Japanese sets are often smaller, with the modern stuff especially. The other thing about the Japanese cards is that you get art work that was banned for western release, two of the most popular banned artworks:

sabrinas-gaze-card.jpg

Banned for the middle finger being the most extended believe it or not.

Mistys-Tears-censored.jpg

Banned for obvious reasons...

I will post some pics of what I have tomorrow. I've always wanted to see a TCG OT on this forum but never really felt that there are enough people who collect to warrant it.

EG0S42gU0AA0c2Z

Opening up the binder greets you with a page of holographics and a Pokemon Neo card file my grandma bought me off of QVC. These Pokemon didn't even exist yet in the states, do you understand how CRAZY this shit was? I specifically put holographics in the first page to show people I was selling them too, but other holographics are scattered across the binder. Notice the 1st edition Machamp holographic I thought was badass until I learned that literally everyone had it. My mom actually won the Clefairy card for me in a story too long to tell, and I'm glad I never sold it.

EG0S424UUAAo29N

The Neo card file. Out of the blue, my grandma, an avid QVC watcher, told me that they were going to have a Pokemon segment and that she would buy me something. Nothing caught my eye until this, cards of the new starters. Hard to see, but the final evos are all holographic. Although I hawked a lot of my holos, these were not for sale. I find it pretty crazy that I can now read them.

This Neo file is really cool and I'm watching a few on eBay as I want one myself, they're not crazy prices either.
Despite the age of some of the cards they're still pretty affordable.

Of course, if you want a Base Set Charizard you're going to pay a fortune. But the vast majority of cards are affordable and if you collect what interests you personally you can soon build a collection.

Dec 2, 2017
Stuff like this thread makes me really want to get back into collecting. I just don't live near an active league anymore so I kinda lost my motivation.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Pokémon cards you say..

Are these your cards? Were you an old league coordinator?

Stuff like this thread makes me really want to get back into collecting. I just don't live near an active league anymore so I kinda lost my motivation.

The thing I miss most, even having been collecting again for as long as I have, is the social element. I just really like to talk about Pokémon cards but never really have the opportunity.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok here are some things that I have in my collection.

PSA

48919769506_e9a1d658be.jpg

Everything apart from Gyrados is from my own collection and pulled out the packs below. I got the Gyrados on eBay fairly cheap and thought it looked in decent condition so sent it off with the others to be graded.

Base, Junge & Fossil

48919234183_81e3f3bd4e.jpg

The best of the random cards I've picked up down the years.

Team Rocket Trouble Theme Deck
48919978922_b3d21e753f.jpg
48919239588_ccf20b6ed9.jpg

One of the two Team Rocket theme decks, this one focuses on grass and psychic Pokemon. This one includes a holographic Arbok card.
The other Team Rocket theme deck is Devastation and it features Giovanni on the front and focuses on grass and water.
You can still buy these for pretty decent prices on eBay - Devastation is usually more expensive.

Base Set 2 - 2 player starter set
48919240183_f19556ba25.jpg

This set was launched to try and get new players into the game, it came with 61 cards which are split into two 30 card decks, a fighting and a water deck. The 61st card is a holographic Machamp. A little bit of trivia with Machamp: That Pokemon was not included in Base Set 2 so you get the original Base Set card and it's 1st Edition, as are all Machamp cards.
This also comes with set lists, damage counters, rule books and a CD-Rom that teaches you how to play.

Team Rocket
48919774926_baf7204b98.jpg
48919775256_26b46d944a.jpg

Hands down one of my favourite sets in the TCG. I love the cartoonish villainy of the artwork. This was the first set to include a secret rare card, Dark Raichu which has a set number of 83/82. Dark Raichu didn't launch in the Japanese set which is called Rocket Gang. The other difference between the two is the translation of the prefix, in Japan they use Bad instead of Dark.

48919774506_aab27460f2.jpg
48919981012_655b2755c2.jpg

48918242206_aca32110b1.jpg
48919975452_f0530588b5.jpg

Shame the Dark Blastoise & Charizard are not the holographic versions.
In terms of the Japanese cards the Dark Magneton is such a cool card. Notoriously difficult to find in PSA10 because of how much holofoil is on the card and how prone to print lines and scratching it is. The card behind it is just Magnemite, same goes with Slowbro having Slowpoke.
Oddish at the bottom is one of 10 cards in that sleeve, just random common and un-commons I picked up on eBay for £2. Like i've said before, it aint too expensive to start a collection.
The card with Jessy on it is "The Rocket's Trap" which is actually part of Leaders Stadium, I have two of these.

Gym Heroes & Gym Challenge
48919772976_9dd1a75167.jpg
48919980557_8326720586.jpg

Personally this is peak Wizards of The Coast era. I think I like them so much because they merged the TCG with the anime and games because the cards feature portraits of the gym leaders. This was also the point where the English sets started to feature substantially more cards than the Japanese, which is why I quite like collecting the Japanese cards (even though I've not got round to featuring any yet but hang on) and they're a better quality.
Gym Heroes primarily focuses on Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge & Erika and Gym Challenge Sabrina, Koga, Blaine & Giovanni. You can get theme decks named after each Gym Leader.

48919772711_c0b087a5cc.jpg

I really like the trainer cards from these sets. They'd be worth collecting on their own in my opinion. Theres some great artwork and in the Japanese sets a few banned artworks.

Leaders Stadium
48919976267_32d1694c30.jpg
48919768841_eb514d0d36.jpg

Leaders Stadium is the Japanese equivalent of Gym Heroes. Photographed it separately because I like how the back of the pack gives a little nod to Team Rocket and the Rocket's Hitmonchan card in this set. This is sealed and it will probably be staying that way, this is despite that it contains a holographic card. Japanese sets of this era guaranteed a holographic card in each pack.

48919235203_5c7dd1c9a2.jpg
48919235743_dee1d30dc1.jpg

This reminds me I need to get Lt. Surge & Erika.

Gold, Silver, To a New World
48919244048_2f59ea8d01.jpg
48919776086_4ef46e56cd.jpg

The first set for Generation 2 which released in the west as Neo Genesis, It launched in Japan a whole year earlier than the west.
The set icon is a double star which at launch was mistaken as a new card rarity symbol, and again every Japanese booster pack contained a holographic card. I'm pretty sure one of the PSA 10 cards you'll see in a bit came from this pack.

48917716758_ff1ee0078a.jpg

Heart Gold / Soul Silver Collection
48919243248_75d715db46.jpg

A Gen 2 set which launched around the time of the DS games. In Japan they were split into two sets which were merged into one for the western release. This was the first set available on the Online version of the TCG.

48919771096_d358867e42.jpg

Some of my favourite cards from this set. I'm pretty sure again, there was a holo per pack.

Generations

48919778206_ef4f375519.jpg

A bit of a step change here going from older stuff to relatively newer cards. But Generations is a cool set in my eyes.
It was released to celebrate 20 years of the TCG and in the west it included the Radiant Collection sub set which has some really cool artworks, and cards which tell little stories through the evolution line. With 32 cards in the set it's pretty collectible.

48919239078_23247bbda7.jpg
48919238793_ee1ce9f677.jpg

The description on the Charizard card gets me everytime.

Random Cards

48917716493_5b9e5a4192.jpg
48919973762_24846a8b0c.jpg

Pichu is a promo card. Both Raikou cards are from Neo Revelation (Awakening Legends in Japan)

48919973462_5d6b408d9f.jpg
48919236088_c382559ccd.jpg

The only e-Reader cards I have. These sets have rocketed in price and are incredibly sought after, especially sealed products, probably as they were the final sets Wizards made.

48918242051_f342d33358.jpg

Oak & Bill

48919977517_a20ec495ce.jpg

A good idea on how the card designs have changed over the years.

48919770221_a90ec6d692.jpg

Promo cards. I've got quite a few promo cards.

48919977077_70a8307d7b.jpg
48919973997_38bbae7e07.jpg

Lt. Surge's Pikachu was the first Pokmon to have alternate artworks in the same set.

48919769786_8155e9907a.jpg
48919771361_12b02389f6.jpg

Some of the modern artwork is really nice.

You can find all the pics at higher resolution over here.

Last edited:

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok here are some things that I have in my collection.

PSA

48919769506_e9a1d658be.jpg

Everything apart from Gyrados is from my own collection and pulled out the packs below. I got the Gyrados on eBay fairly cheap and thought it looked in decent condition so sent it off with the others to be graded.

Base, Junge & Fossil

48919234183_81e3f3bd4e.jpg

The best of the random cards I've picked up down the years.

Team Rocket Trouble Theme Deck
48919978922_b3d21e753f.jpg
48919239588_ccf20b6ed9.jpg

One of the two Team Rocket theme decks, this one focuses on grass and psychic Pokemon. This one includes a holographic Arbok card.
The other Team Rocket theme deck is Devastation and it features Giovanni on the front and focuses on grass and water.
You can still buy these for pretty decent prices on eBay - Devastation is usually more expensive.

Base Set 2 - 2 player starter set
48919240183_f19556ba25.jpg

This set was launched to try and get new players into the game, it came with 61 cards which are split into two 30 card decks, a fighting and a water deck. The 61st card is a holographic Machamp. A little bit of trivia with Machamp: That Pokemon was not included in Base Set 2 so you get the original Base Set card and it's 1st Edition, as are all Machamp cards.
This also comes with set lists, damage counters, rule books and a CD-Rom that teaches you how to play.

Team Rocket
48919774926_baf7204b98.jpg
48919775256_26b46d944a.jpg

Hands down one of my favourite sets in the TCG. I love the cartoonish villainy of the artwork. This was the first set to include a secret rare card, Dark Raichu which has a set number of 83/82. Dark Raichu didn't launch in the Japanese set which is called Rocket Gang. The other difference between the two is the translation of the prefix, in Japan they use Bad instead of Dark.

48919774506_aab27460f2.jpg
48919981012_655b2755c2.jpg

48918242206_aca32110b1.jpg
48919975452_f0530588b5.jpg

Shame the Dark Blastoise & Charizard are not the holographic versions.
In terms of the Japanese cards the Dark Magneton is such a cool card. Notoriously difficult to find in PSA10 because of how much holofoil is on the card and how prone to print lines and scratching it is. The card behind it is just Magnemite, same goes with Slowbro having Slowpoke.
Oddish at the bottom is one of 10 cards in that sleeve, just random common and un-commons I picked up on eBay for £2. Like i've said before, it aint too expensive to start a collection.
The card with Jessy on it is "The Rocket's Trap" which is actually part of Leaders Stadium, I have two of these.

Gym Heroes & Gym Challenge
48919772976_9dd1a75167.jpg
48919980557_8326720586.jpg

Personally this is peak Wizards of The Coast era. I think I like them so much because they merged the TCG with the anime and games because the cards feature portraits of the gym leaders. This was also the point where the English sets started to feature substantially more cards than the Japanese, which is why I quite like collecting the Japanese cards (even though I've not got round to featuring any yet but hang on) and they're a better quality.
Gym Heroes primarily focuses on Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge & Erika and Gym Challenge Sabrina, Koga, Blaine & Giovanni. You can get theme decks named after each Gym Leader.

48919772711_c0b087a5cc.jpg

I really like the trainer cards from these sets. They'd be worth collecting on their own in my opinion. Theres some great artwork and in the Japanese sets a few banned artworks.

Leaders Stadium
48919976267_32d1694c30.jpg
48919768841_eb514d0d36.jpg

Leaders Stadium is the Japanese equivalent of Gym Heroes. Photographed it separately because I like how the back of the pack gives a little nod to Team Rocket and the Rocket's Hitmonchan card in this set. This is sealed and it will probably be staying that way, this is despite that it contains a holographic card. Japanese sets of this era guaranteed a holographic card in each pack.

48919235203_5c7dd1c9a2.jpg
48919235743_dee1d30dc1.jpg

This reminds me I need to get Lt. Surge & Erika.

Gold, Silver, To a New World
48919244048_2f59ea8d01.jpg
48919776086_4ef46e56cd.jpg

The first set for Generation 2 which released in the west as Neo Genesis, It launched in Japan a whole year earlier than the west.
The set icon is a double star which at launch was mistaken as a new card rarity symbol, and again every Japanese booster pack contained a holographic card. I'm pretty sure one of the PSA 10 cards you'll see in a bit came from this pack.

48917716758_ff1ee0078a.jpg

Heart Gold / Soul Silver Collection
48919243248_75d715db46.jpg

A Gen 2 set which launched around the time of the DS games. In Japan they were split into two sets which were merged into one for the western release. This was the first set available on the Online version of the TCG.

48919771096_d358867e42.jpg

Some of my favourite cards from this set. I'm pretty sure again, there was a holo per pack.

Generations

48919778206_ef4f375519.jpg

A bit of a step change here going from older stuff to relatively newer cards. But Generations is a cool set in my eyes.
It was released to celebrate 20 years of the TCG and in the west it included the Radiant Collection sub set which has some really cool artworks, and cards which tell little stories through the evolution line. With 32 cards in the set it's pretty collectible.

48919239078_23247bbda7.jpg
48919238793_ee1ce9f677.jpg

The description on the Charizard card gets me everytime.

Random Cards

48917716493_5b9e5a4192.jpg
48919973762_24846a8b0c.jpg

Pichu is a promo card. Both Raikou cards are from Neo Revelation (Awakening Legends in Japan)

48919973462_5d6b408d9f.jpg
48919236088_c382559ccd.jpg

The only e-Reader cards I have. These sets have rocketed in price and are incredibly sought after, especially sealed products, probably as they were the final sets Wizards made.

48918242051_f342d33358.jpg

Oak & Bill

48919977517_a20ec495ce.jpg

A good idea on how the card designs have changed over the years.

48919770221_a90ec6d692.jpg

Promo cards. I've got quite a few promo cards.

48919977077_70a8307d7b.jpg
48919973997_38bbae7e07.jpg

Lt. Surge's Pikachu was the first Pokmon to have alternate artworks in the same set.

48919769786_8155e9907a.jpg
48919771361_12b02389f6.jpg

Some of the modern artwork is really nice.

You can find all the pics at higher resolution over here.

So much cool stuff here, I love seeing unopened booster packs! I collected a lot of Japanese cards myself, I was eager for newer cards and vastly preferred the "sparkle" on Japanese holos (before US card adopted it).

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
So much cool stuff here, I love seeing unopened booster packs! I collected a lot of Japanese cards myself, I was eager for newer cards and vastly preferred the "sparkle" on Japanese holos (before US card adopted it).

Yeah I think I prefer them overall compared to the English cards. They just seem to be printed on slightly thicker card and you're right about the holo patterns.

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had that neo set! That brings back so many memories. I had no idea it was from QVC, but it makes sense since that's all my mom used to watch.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah well my daughter just started hers! Necrozma GX and Rayquaza GX battle arena decks were her first cards, just bought on Monday.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
I have that Neo Card file as well <3

I stopped buying cards years ago and can't find them :<

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Punished Dan I love your stuff, especially all the sealed boosters. Those are harder and harder to secure since grading has become so popular. Take care of those!

We share a similar affection for Rocket cards as well. Do you like sealed stuff? Sealed WotC Promos are my specialty.

4f501829-6253-4822-br7kkn.jpeg