• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you already have a Switch? Do you plan to buy the OLED version?

• I don't have a Switch and don't plan to buy the new model

Votes: 616 11.8%
  • I don't have a Switch and will buy the new OLED model

Votes: 84 1.6%
  • I already have a Switch and will not buy the new model

Votes: 3,837 73.8%
  • I already have a Switch and I'm going to upgrade to the OLED model

Votes: 665 12.8%

• Total voters

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I own a switch and primarily use it docked. Actually I don't really use it much but my wife uses it for Animal Crossing almost daily and refuses to use it handheld. Since there is no benefit really for docked users I don't see the point. If I used it handheld a bunch I could maybe argue that it also has better battery life since I have a launch switch, but as it is I don't see the point.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
This revision makes sense only if Nintendo were forced to make it (e.g. TSMC raised the chip price). Otherwise, this revision is a mistake, it will not extend the life of the Switch even by a month.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Biggest hardware disappointment of the year.

OLED is great, but my main feeling upon seeing this is …that's it?

So is this a 720p OLED?

Yes, it is.

Animal Crossing switch present.

That's a real beauty!

Animal-Crossing-Nintendo-Switch-Console-New-Horizon-Special-Edition-Header.png

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I use table top co op a lot so that bigger screen will be a big plus for me. In general I like the new oled screen so even if it's only for portable play the upgrade will be worth it.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I bought the Lite because I mainly play handheld. But I bought it because it's actually lighter as the OG is heavy in my hands.

This thing is heavier than the OG making it a hard pass, OLED or not.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard pass.

I play on my TV most of the time. If I don't, yeah sure, cool. But this isn't worth an upgrade, like at all.
I have to say: Does Ninty really NOT have any people that look at Twitter, Era, Insta, etc, to see what people want? Because I guess so.
The Switch is a masterpiece and people went crazy for a high spec Switch.
This has to be one of the biggest disappointments ever. Thanks Ninty but no. Just no.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think my 6 year old will appreciate the Oled. If there was a cpu/gpu upgrade I would've bought it for myself.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
my wife has a Switch and I've got a Lite. Both of us have joycon issues. I can't imagine spending money on another console with the same issue and no upgraded specs sans speaker / kickstand.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I have to say: Does Ninty really NOT have any people that look at Twitter, Era, Insta, etc, to see what people want? Because I guess so.
The Switch is a masterpiece and people went crazy for a high spec Switch.

What for? Whatever people may want on the internet may not be viable in real life and people falling for rumors with no basis isn't Nintendo's fault either.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What for? Whatever people may want on the internet may not be viable in real life and people falling for rumors with no basis isn't Nintendo's fault either.

Uff, especially during Corona, most of the talking was done online.
I'd say there's a high chance that when people say what they'd like to have, they'd like to have it. Also totally outside of those rumors. No one asked for such a Switch. No one asked for a Wii U. People before already said that a hybrid console would be nice. Nintendo made the Switch and bang. I guess making things people want is hard huh?

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Uff, especially during Corona, most of the talking was done online.
I'd say there's a high chance that when people say what they'd like to have, they'd like to have it. Also totally outside of those rumors. No one asked for such a Switch. No one asked for a Wii U. People before already said that a hybrid console would be nice. Nintendo made the Switch and bang. I guess making things people want is hard huh?

Nobody asked for many things that exist that didn't stop them from succeeding nor their failure was related to that. And like I said before what people claim to want may not be viable in the real world.

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
I don't enjoy playing in handhold mode, but prefere it docked with a pro controller.
So there's nothing here that makes me want to exchange my old model.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Already have two OG Switches so why the hell would I upgrade just for white dock and an Oled screen? Sorry Nintendo, was really really looking forward to the Switch pro but this just doesn't cut it, not in the slightest. The screen wasn't the problem to begin with. But hey, the stand bends more now!!!1 What a joke.. Better luck in 2022.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Sure Age of Calamity will still drop to 24fps and 570p, but it'll look stunning doing it!

That white would go super well with my living room design, but doesn't move the needle up from hard pass.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a launch model Switch with an absolute shit battery life, and still hell no to buying this. I refuse to buy another Switch over 4 years into its life without a spec bump. I still fully expect the Switch 2 around 2023, I just have to put up with the horrid frame rates and low res for another 2 years.

As great as OLED is, this will have an even lower PPI on a system where nearly every game is sub-res, no thanks.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have one already and play it more than anything, including my Series X. I was interested when I thought it would be a decent upgrade but now, I don't care about it. It's a disappointing reveal yet not surprising. I rarely play handheld so the screen upgrade isn't enough for me. All I wanted was a Pro-esque 4K upgrade with extra small features, and I'd have definitely considered it.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I barely play the one I have now, so no I'm definitely not upgrading for a better display when it doesn't even enhance or provide better performance for the games that I already own.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I have my launch switch which never leaves the dock and a switch lite. If it had more HP then yeah but I really think games that run sub 1080p are gonna look worse in the OLED but I could be wrong.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Whenever I do use my Switch, it's mostly on tv so there is no real benefit for me with this one which I'm honestly fine with, it's money I won't be spending this year.

Looking forward to the next set of Switch Pro rumours to keep us going till 2023

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Slighty larger OLED isn't enough. I'm not even mad it's not 4k, I just wanted enough of a spec bump so it could push a stable, native, 1080p docked.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I was heavily considering preordering a few hours ago just for the OLED display and improved audio alone, but then I realized that I maybe only use my Switch in handheld mode for a few hours a month. I'll just wait for a potential Pro version or the next console.

Pilkie

Apr 15, 2021
Disappointing upgrade, I am 99% handheld so all I'd get from it is a marginally bigger screen and some more storage.

No improved JoyCons, no more power, no more battery, not any lighter...

The original Switch having the same RRP 4 years later is a bit ridiculous too.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Can anyone confirm or deny..as a long time Vita fan I remember reading that the OG OLED model actually looked better when playing old skool emulated games e.g PSX. Somethingabout OLED naturally antialising or making it look better? When playing at lower resolution?

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why someone who already has a switch would buy one of these. It seems like Nintendo is hoping that people who want to buy a new switch will go for the new model, which will keep prices up. I think that's probably the whole business plan.

Pleasant!

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't go through the thread but I'm just gonna assume i'm adding to the "i'll only buy one if its a super nostalgic/beautiful special edition" choir.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to fight my impulse control problems, but I am not buying this new model.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I have a Switch Lite for portable play, so the big Switch sits in the dock almost 100% of the time. No reason to get the new one unless mine dies or I decide to hack the day 1 model or something.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Nope and Nope.

I could see myself getting a Switch if it came with some more poke, but this model as far as I'm concerned is a wasted opportunity.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
~85% of the 3,000+ polled on this thread have zero desire to buy the new Switch.

Youtube comments on the main video seem negative and/or apathetic. Comments on other forums and sites are the same.

Nintendo really knocked it out of the park with this one. It would have be perfectly fine if they priced it at $299, but the $350 price is nothing more than Nintendo's arrogance starting to shine through.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
My son has the switch which both me and my wife also play on (rarely.)

I would have been interested in a switch with improved hardware with 4k using DLSS (or some variant of that tech) but as it stands I see no reason to buy one.

The upgrades they are offering seem, well, kind of pointless to be honest, especially at the price point and the biggest issue of all, the joycons not being fixed.

We have had numerous joycons, all of which have suffered with drift, it's shameful that Nintendo haven't rectified it but I can imagine they make a lot of money from joycon purchases and repairs so why bother I guess? Maybe I am being cynical with that assessment and if I am I apologise but they don't seem keen to fix it.

Been a Nintendo fan my entire life and some of the decisions they are making are baffling to me tbh.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
~85% of the 3,000+ polled on this thread have zero desire to buy the new Switch.

Youtube comments on the main video seem negative and/or apathetic. Comments on other forums and sites are the same.

Nintendo really knocked it out of the park with this one. It would have be perfectly fine if they priced it at $299, but the $350 price is nothing more than Nintendo's arrogance starting to shine through.

They probably did knock it out of the park honestly, as unfortunate as it is. Everyone you just described makes up probably less than 1% of the potential audience for this thing. It'll be sold out everywhere

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I bought a Switch Lite and really regret it, turns out I only want to play stuff on my TV! I'm hoping the OLED will drive down the price of the original Switch

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the headline of the Switch OLED I got excited coz I really thought it was gonna be that "pro" model. I don't have a Switch yet and I don't think I'm gonna purchase the OLED.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
This is a nice revision for a good price but no way in hell am I buying it with the same broken ass joycons.

That's simply throwing 100 dollars CDN down the drain.

No thanks.

InfiniteCats

Oct 25, 2017
I have a launch day Switch that I mostly use handheld. Better screen and better battery is a pretty compelling reason to upgrade.

Also, it's not like I'd keep both. Selling the old Switch for 200$ shouldn't be particularly difficult.