• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The property value goes up (or doesn't go down).
I bought my condo for 118k and sold it 100k lmao. HOA fees going up and the joyful mix of bad people living in the building left me with no choice. Its value was still 118K but I couldn't sell it anywhere near that price for what the condo was and how many better condos there is in the market.

It's one chance I lived there for 8 years so I could afford to sell it at that price and still perceive a return. My advice would be to avoid condos and aim for a house or at least a split instead. At least you'll see your investments directly and avoid the stress of being financially tied to like 40 randos.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
After being an electrician on $100+million homes for a few years in beverly hills area making only $17/hr and seeing how cheaply those houses were made and how little most of the workers were paid (mostly minimum wage), I wouldnt be surprised if these condos were held together by spit and bubblegum.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Because I have seen many posts on Era where people overlook that renting costs money, aside from the money needed for the actual investment.
Ok, reply to those. The context here is older retirees getting locked into a very illiquid asset. There's a reason why senior rental apartments also exists.

Stay focused.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, reply to those. The context here is older retirees getting locked into a very illiquid asset. There's a reason why senior rental apartments also exists.
I'm replying to one of those. They are going to eat through their savings / investments considering they have no income, and just spending money on rent. That is why people try to own something.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I bought my condo for 118k and sold it 100k lmao. HOA fees going up and the joyful mix of bad people living in the building left me with no choice. Its value was still 118K but I couldn't sell it anywhere near that price for what the condo was and how many better condos there is in the market.

It's one chance I lived there for 8 years so I could afford to sell it at that price and still perceive a return. My advice would be to avoid condos and aim for a house or at least a split instead. At least you'll see your investments directly and avoid the stress of being financially tied to like 40 randos.
Guess it depends a lot on where you live. Over here (in Europe) private houses usually have a lot more problems (and less ways to check them), including when you're having them built from scratch. If you have a good condo board (or whatever you call it) it's much cheaper to keep your value (and living space).

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm replying to one of those. They are going to eat through their savings / investments considering they have no income, and just spending money on rent. That is why people try to own something.
But we're talking about condos here, and in this case the HOA fee was 1000 bucks.

If you have paid off one at 500 HOA, I can understand.

This is not a paid for SFH, which would have neglible costs in comparison. Caveat emptor.

And in this case, the bickering was caused by the assessment charges--retirees couldn't afford it. Condos don't seem like a great deal for retirees. We definitely need more regulation.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Many prefer apartment living but want an option that has more cost controls than conventional renting. Conventional renting has limited leases and hikes. Condo living does as well due to assessments. But it's more stable.
What the US needs is proper renters protection. It's insane to me that a landlord can just up your rent by 50% (or anything really) without any recourse.
In LA our rent went up by 7% every year. my income certainly didn't....

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
What the US needs is proper renters protection. It's insane to me that a landlord can just up your rent by 50% (or anything really) without any recourse.
Yep.

It's because renting is seen for young people, career climbers in big cities, newer immigrants, and the poor in the US. Buying a home here is a national religion and it has full backing by the government and the banking industry.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of repairs that need to be funded but there's not about to be a rash of what happened in Miami

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also, for anyone who's environmentally conscious, living in a condo is way more efficient than a private house.

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
Had a condo in Florida just before moving to Seattle and it had one of the best HoA's I've seen. The cost was $347 but it covered the roof, water bill, basic cable, and the grounds. It felt very much well worth it.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is strange to me (non-American) that the concept of Condos are so weird in North America. It is the main style of building almost everywhere. Here all residential buildings are condos, and I am living in 2 million population city, with tons of old buidings.

The issue in US seems to me as:
1 - Americans don´t understant the cost of maintanance in buidings. I know the most common situation in US is that you rent an apartment and don´t care about maintanance, it should be done by the owner of the building. Fine. But you are still paying for it, the owner includes this cost in the rent, you just don´t see it. When you own or rent an apartment in a condo, you are supposed to pay for the maintanance, which is administrate by a board. Same costs. It seems that americans usually neglet that cost, and building boards don´t pay attention to that. Here we pay a monthly fee for the costs of the building, which includes maintanance and a 10% fee to build up a fund for emergencies/improvements in the building.
2 - Cheaply and badly constructed buildings in some parts of US in the 80s/90s.
the bigger issue to me seems to be that funds are massively misappropriated away from whats intended, perhaps even into the pockets of management companies. basically, capitalistic incarceration through HOA fees

but this is tough to confirm en masse

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
the bigger issue to me seems to be that funds are massively misappropriated away from whats intended, perhaps even into the pockets of management companies. basically, capitalistic incarceration through HOA fees

but this is tough to confirm en masse
That's all it ever really was. When you have so many units and families paying so much each month you have to wonder, how can you not afford such repairs.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't most places set aside part of the fees they get each month into a emergency account?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
That's all it ever really was. When you have so many units and families paying so much each month you have to wonder, how can you not afford such repairs.

I lived in a condo for a while

1) a big chunk is for taxes
2) a smallish chunk is for basic upkeep and emergency money
3) Property managers often get a lot of the money

Major repairs usually require a special assessment that turns into a fight because the nicest largest units often owe the bulk of the cost for these but then they get pissed that 5-6 units are paying for 70% of the cost and 50 units are paying for 30% even though that's the legal way of doing things since they own a larger % of the common property

Condos in theory are a cheaper way to own your home. My experience is they are the worst parts of owning and renting combined with shitty politics with the HOA

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Why don't most places set aside part of the fees they get each month into a emergency account?

Once the developer has sold the units in many cases the owners have basically a self run democracy in charge of building maintenance. There usually isn't a company backing it.

So it turns into local politics where some people dont want to set aside extra money to keep fees low and many HOAs want lower fees because it makes it easier for potential buyers to qualify for a mortgage since his fees are part of the income to expense ratio

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Once the developer has sold the units in many cases the owners have basically a self run democracy in charge of building maintenance. There usually isn't a company backing it.

So it turns into local politics where some people dont want to set aside extra money to keep fees low and many HOAs want lower fees because it makes it easier for potential buyers to qualify for a mortgage since his fees are part of the income to expense ratio
TLDR: The people that shouldn't be running things end up runnign things. Like PTA, City Councils, and Office committees

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Some of the more successful and affordable co-ops (not condos) in the NYC area create LLCs for this purpose. They have professional property management which includes stuff like managing assessment and inspections, not these boards that have too many cooks in the kitchen.

The model can work. It's just so wonky when you're thinking about tons of different states, markets, and cities.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Some of the more successful and affordable co-ops (not condos) in the NYC area create LLCs for this purpose. They have professional property management which includes stuff like managing assessment and inspections, not these boards that have too many cooks in the kitchen.

The model can work. It's just so wonky when you're thinking about tons of different states, markets, and cities.

Yeah but this model also often leads to the property manager paying themselves a lot of $$$.

It's likely "better" than the PTA meeting described aptly above mind you

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

In Montreal the coops I know (and lived in) are owned by no one but the coop itself; you pay a rent, no mortgage, no cash down, nothing. When you leave, you just leave. The thing is the rent is so stupid low that it 100% beats buying. Most people don't calculate interest and taxes and upkeep when determining if they sold their homes or condo at a profit. Also, all the money was going back into the coop, so everything was getting inspected or repaired or replaced when due for all units.

They are usually started with a loan by the government to the coop organization so that it can buy some building, and then that's it. People are elected to the board among the tenants. Easy stuff.

Of course people even on the left usually shun this stuff, people want to OWN even if they call themselves progressives. There is peer pressure, people want the pride of owning and avoid the shame of anything collective when their own best buddies own.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TLDR: The people that shouldn't be running things end up runnign things. Like PTA, City Councils, and Office committees
Or you could look at the vast majority of cases where it works and the very distinct lack of working alternatives.

The buildings still need to follow maintenance laws and codes, it's just up to the owners how to do that.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Do you own the land at all?
Nope so I think it's legally a condo, but it's a completely different structure and architectural style than all the condo complexes people are referring to in this thread. Ultimately it was all I could afford that was close to work (I was getting outbid for everything basically for SFHs and even a few other townhouses, so I resorted to a new build Townhouse). In terms of appearance, think rowhouse/townhouse style with only 2 shared walls.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Lol, I bet these fuckers are panicking to sell their buildings ASAP except they can't.

Well this is a nasty post.

I can't imagine thinking this way. All the costs of ownership, but all the downsides of an apartment

If I'm paying 6 figures for a building, then I'm not being boxed in by somebody else who shares a wall with mine

Shared walls are going to be a thing in any MFH development. Not everyone can afford/maintain a SFH.

Obviously it's really early to know what caused the collapse but isn't her sister building fine? They had maintenance set aside properly.

Yes. According to reports, the sister building has been on top of maintenance and got a clean bill of health.

A lot of the older condos are composed of people who brought when it was cheaper than now, or no longer have the income they once did (retirees)

You make a important point. Condos despite their idea of being for the rich, are basically collectively owned by the residents. Their failure is not good for increasing density.

Like any other home, SFH or not, you have to have upkeep. If you let a building sit, it will deteriorate over time.

Tell that to the people in the OP who are looking at upper five figure to mid six figure special assessments. Nobody's making me pay $500k to fix both my house and every other house on the block once every 20-30 years. Most of those people may not have even known how many reserves there are to draw from.

If you ignored/deferred maintenance on your SFH for 40 years, you'd probably have a big repair bill too.

For condo owners, finances are an open book. Anyone who wants to know the state of reserves just has to ask to see the books. Anyone who doesn't know, doesn't care to know.

It is strange to me (non-American) that the concept of Condos are so weird in North America. It is the main style of building almost everywhere. Here all residential buildings are condos, and I am living in 2 million population city, with tons of old buidings.

The issue in US seems to me as:
1 - Americans don´t understant the cost of maintanance in buidings. I know the most common situation in US is that you rent an apartment and don´t care about maintanance, it should be done by the owner of the building. Fine. But you are still paying for it, the owner includes this cost in the rent, you just don´t see it. When you own or rent an apartment in a condo, you are supposed to pay for the maintanance, which is administrate by a board. Same costs. It seems that americans usually neglet that cost, and building boards don´t pay attention to that. Here we pay a monthly fee for the costs of the building, which includes maintanance and a 10% fee to build up a fund for emergencies/improvements in the building.
2 - Cheaply and badly constructed buildings in some parts of US in the 80s/90s.

Condos aren't unusual in North America. They're common in cities.

Stable like my HOA fee that went from 180$ to 320$ (+ three separate 'special fees' throughout the year because people are too fucking basic to use a washer) last year because the admins folks just woke up about a new law (Quebec City) that forces us to have a sufficient backlog fund to cover 10% of the building's value for repairs?

So fucking glad I sold in June. 😅

You see jumps like that when you have buildings where the owners can't be bothered to care about finances and just want low assessments.

We would need social housing and a move away from local control for zoning for that to happen. So long as NIMBYs can keep density low by blocking MFH going up, you're going to see demand outstrip supply.

If they're budgeting properly, the funds will be there. Often times though owners only want to pay the minimum.

It really is a parallel to the minimum wage debate. Some homeowners want stuff as cheap as possible, rather than paying for quality and to do things properly.

Whether those folks own SFHs or condos, they're still going to look to do everything on the cheap. It's why you can find SFHs for sale in deplorable conditions.

We can compare the two sister buildings in Surfside for an example.

They should.

Money generally isn't set aside for one of two reasons:

1) Owners are cheap and don't want to pay for it (kicking the can down the road).
2) Owners are broke and can't pay (you saw this during the last recession where some buildings literally couldn't pay basic bills because homeowners had abandoned the properties and banks hadn't yet foreclosed, because the banks didn't want to be on the hook for the HOA dues).

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Shared walls are going to be a thing in any MFH development

Sure, but then renting is just straight up better.

Like I said, I'm not paying 6 figures for a small chunk of the building with shared walls, parking, etc... If I've got the ability to buy a condo, then I'd just go buy/build a house instead.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Sure, but then renting is just straight up better.

Like I said, I'm not paying 6 figures for a small chunk of the building with shared walls, parking, etc... If I've got the ability to buy a condo, then I'd just go buy/build a house instead.

Depends on the economics.

You can't deduct rent, you can't customize an apartment, you don't get equity, etc.

And just because you can afford a condo doesn't mean you can afford a house in the same place.

In a city, a condo can be a starter home for many folks simply because the cost of a SFH is out of reach. And it insulates against rent increases.

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
I lived in a condo for a while

1) a big chunk is for taxes
2) a smallish chunk is for basic upkeep and emergency money
3) Property managers often get a lot of the money

Major repairs usually require a special assessment that turns into a fight because the nicest largest units often owe the bulk of the cost for these but then they get pissed that 5-6 units are paying for 70% of the cost and 50 units are paying for 30% even though that's the legal way of doing things since they own a larger % of the common property

Condos in theory are a cheaper way to own your home. My experience is they are the worst parts of owning and renting combined with shitty politics with the HOA
I hear that just from my own experience, it's been managed really well on my last condo. I think it really just depends on how well it's operated.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You see jumps like that when you have buildings where the owners can't be bothered to care about finances and just want low assessments.

Exactly, the majority of the owners didn't want the HOA fees to go up for various preventive reasons because they were a bunch of whining cheap fucks. So they voted against most of these things until it became law. That why I advise against buying a condo. The unit itself might be nice, but you know nothing about the other folks in there and how it goes during yearly meetings.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Exactly, the majority of the owners didn't want the HOA fees to go up for various preventive reasons because they were a bunch of whining cheap fucks. So they voted against most of these things until it became law. That why I advise against buying a condo. The unit itself might be nice, but you know nothing about the other folks in there and how it goes during yearly meetings.

I dunno about you, but I do want to point out that many of the owners lost their lives. We should strengthen laws and regulate condos more, and ensure safety inspections are done, and condo associations are required to do maintenance by law. Done nationally if state wise are being dumb.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I can't imagine thinking this way. All the costs of ownership, but all the downsides of an apartment

If I'm paying 6 figures for a building, then I'm not being boxed in by somebody else who shares a wall with mine
As someone in a SFH who hates dealing with external upkeep (grass, roofing, etc.) condos are tempting.

Though the benefits of density (walkability, potentially not needing a car, environmental impacts) are even more enticing factors.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about you, but I do want to point out that many of the owners lost their lives. We should strengthen laws and regulate condos more, and ensure safety inspections are done, and condo associations are required to do maintenance by law. Done nationally if state wise are being dumb.
I'm talking about my condo experience, not the one in Miami that collapsed. I agree with these laws, my building was an example where they didn't want to invest into having an emergency fund until they were forced to.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Might be time for the US to pull a japan and tear down a bunch of these condo buildings and replace them with proper build-quality. But that won't happen.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The only condos that seem to work well are either low rise or high rises with store fronts at the bottom. Low rises still have those fees but the building itself is easier to maintain and is less likely to be costly in terms of repairs. High rises with storefronts are amazing. The relief fund is usually abundant even after major repairs like roof, elevators, etc because the rent for the businesses pays for a lot of the repairs. My friend's building is about 30ish years old and got a new roof and new elevators and they still got about 900k in the fund. It's crazy.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Prewar building in NYC ftw. I live in a co-op in ny. we have probably have shit plumbing and electrical lines but this thing could probably stand for another 100 years.

we know someone who lives in a modern building and the amount complainants she has about repairs is ridiculous.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought i was smart buying a condo instead of a house but the FL tragedy and my own personal experiences woke me to how at mercy i am with the HOA and the complex's board

my roof completely collapsed and per contract complex is obligated to fix and pay for it. they eventually did but it was like pulling teeth, management did not give two shits about it until i badgered them enough about how it's legally their problem

i'm constatly freaking out about an electrical fire or something completely catastrophic, as the place is old. but i knew what i was getting into, buy the ticket and take the ride

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the time period and locations many of these structures probably got built via Mob tied companies etc. So yeah expecting top notch construction etc. is not going to be a thing. Unfortunate because its going to lead to alot of people losing their homes as the costs to fix these buildings will inflate to the point condemning them will be seen as a better option.