• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Some shots look fine, unique even, but certain angles and expressions just look odd. I think they could have still been big but a little smaller would have been better.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't bother me honestly. I guess you could argue why bother but then you might think she is human perhaps?

I'm more pissed at the god awful boyfriend parts and the abrupt ending tease that we will never see a sequel for.
The entire point in the source material was that she looked like a regular girl, with her cyborg body itself being the only giveaway (hence hiding her arms when she first met Hugo in the manga, not her eyes).

None of the Hugo stuff was great in the source material either, though they added more to this.
That's a result of the art style of the manga. Many other characters have cartoonish features that are not shown in the movie.

This adaptation went with a literal interpretation and then tried to justify it as being a cyborg thing specifically in-universe.
I haven't read the manga, but I could really tell the fact that the dude died twice in this movie was probably the culmination of two separate arcs in the source material.
Happened within the same arc and volume in the manga.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it was strange but I got used to it like 20 minutes into the movie. I went in expecting some mediocre stuff but it was actually a really fun movie. I liked it so much I ended up getting the boxed set of the books because I had to know how it went in the source material and what happened next.

Yeah the weird ass huge eyes they used for the URM cyborgs was a bad decision but it didn't take away from the movie.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Are you asking a question?

My answer would be: I didn't like it in the first trailers, I learnt to tolerate it, I got used it, now I like it. I don't think it makes her a live action anime character, it just makes her slightly non-human. An outsider. Which is the point.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the movie, but have no idea why Alita needed big anime eyes. It honestly seemed pretty unnecessary.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"Why?" Is really all I have to say. The actress without the cg make-up fits the part pretty well.
It doesn't matter. Alita is always doing all kinds of ridiculous, superhuman shit. She'd be a digital double for most of the picture, and I think constantly changing between a real person and a digital character would be more jarring and distracting. Nevermind that she's always with a cyborg body with inhuman proportions, so either way it'd be her face pasted into a CG creation, and that won't be able to hold up all the time. And why the big eyes? I think that if she had a more human face it'd be easier (for us) to spot her inherent fakeness, like so many other movies have tried before. This way she's not really quite human, so the flaws in achieving a completely photorealistic person are less apparent. Anyway that's my opinion on it.

But it really did stop being a problem for me almost immediately. The flaws in the movie lie in the half-baked script, not Alita's face.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
why do we keep giving robert rodriguez blank checks to do bullshit like the eye enlarging. just make a normal movie for once you hack. blarghhh

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
It didn't bug me as much as I thought it would. I think it's mainly cause all the other robots looked so weird and uncanny that her eyes didn't stand out as much.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The eyes bothered me but I was still able to enjoy the movie.

Honestly missed the fact that the flashback teammates also had the eyes. If I'd noticed that originally then the eyes may have bothered me less, because it'd at least be consistent. The fact that (it seemed like) only she had the eyes is what made it weird.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I figured the eyes are like that because she's a warrior and bigger eyes mean she sees more.

i enjoyed the movie, even though the first 30 minutes kinda felt like a middle of a movie and not the beginning.

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter. Alita is always doing all kinds of ridiculous, superhuman shit. She'd be a digital double for most of the picture, and I think constantly changing between a real person and a digital character would be more jarring and distracting. Nevermind that she's always with a cyborg body with inhuman proportions, so either way it'd be her face pasted into a CG creation, and that won't be able to hold up all the time. And why the big eyes? I think that if she had a more human face it'd be easier (for us) to spot her inherent fakeness, like so many other movies have tried before. This way she's not really quite human, so the flaws in achieving a completely photorealistic person are less apparent. Anyway that's my opinion on it.

But it really did stop being a problem for me almost immediately. The flaws in the movie lie in the half-baked script, not Alita's face.
Grewishka's actor is not a hulking beast like the character and is clearly all cg in the movie. If you're talking about the illusion holding up then that's not even part of the argument. The cg elements of the movie look like cg. It's not fooling anyone. Why can a completely cg Grewishka have normal facial proportions but Alita gotta be anime face?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really liked the movie; *especially* the action. Some of the best directed, easy-to-follow, clear action setpieces in the last decade of film.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eyes played no roll in watching the movie or not or how I felt about it. I just accepted it for what it was and I enjoyed the movie.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Weird how people who (I'm guessing) didn't mind the large eyes of non-humans in Avatar draw the line at a non-human having larger eyes in this fantasy.

I had no problem with it at all. It makes sense in context, and you get used to it either way.

As pointed out above, despite ignorant assertions to the contrary, all of her engineered cohort share the same feature - clearly a battle enhancement then.

And it's not that big a leap from the manga, which has plenty of panels where Hugo has normal-sized eyes vs. Alita's large so-called 'manga' eyes.

So let go your eye-size prejudice Era doubters and give it a chance. It's fun.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't bother me at all, and I really liked the movie.

Same. The hate it's getting here is unfortunate.

It was a more interesting and entertaining blockbuster with far more heart and soul than a lot of candy-coated CG "splosion fests" that occupy the box office these days.

Sadly, it arrived 15 years too late. This would have set the box office on fire back in the day. But since it's not MCU...well...you know how it goes.

It's amazing what gets a pass around here. Fuck Banner/Hulk over and assassinate the character by making them a stupid CG amalgamation, and it gets a pass. Try to adapt a manga and use CG to offset the look of a female CYBORG with larger-than-life eyes...OMFG SO DISGUSTING WILL NOT WATCH!!!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

It was a more interesting and entertaining blockbuster with far more heart and soul than a lot of candy-coated CG "splosion fests" that occupy the box office these days.

Sadly, it arrived 15 years too late. This would have set the box office on fire back in the day. But since it's not MCU...well...you know how it goes.

Aquaman just did a billion dollars and venom came damned close to it.

People were throwing money at the Transformers films long after the wheels fell off that franchise.

Not being MCU wasn't the reason it didn't do well.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
honestly got used to it after 10 minutes. funnily enough that became the least significant niggle in a hugely uneven film that just ends really suddenly.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It looked fine to me, def looked odd in trailers, but as others have said, you get used to it within the opening minutes, she came across as a fully realized character imo.
This.

Alita is definitely a bad ass. The only big downside is the boyfriend arc and some really confusing stuff happening like 2/3rds of the way. Like they tried to go through lots of stuff in a short amount of time.

Did the woman scientist get dissected and get brain, eyes, hands and tongue(?) get put into a suitcase to blackmail Alita? I have no idea what that was about. (I assume in the sequel if ever, she will return a cyborg)

Stuff like that was like wtf.

Her eyes are fine after a few minutes. I actually find it very believable. Maybe the expressions are a bit too exaggerated but they sell the scenes. Like when she is riding with the due on his bike and she smiles from experiencing that. Really well done.

I would have liked it with Rosa Salazar, like her actual look, but this works. She did a great job with voice acting and portraying alita.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Weird how people who (I'm guessing) didn't mind the large eyes of non-humans in Avatar draw the line at a non-human having larger eyes in this fantasy.

I had no problem with it at all. It makes sense in context, and you get used to it either way.

As pointed out above, despite ignorant assertions to the contrary, all of her engineered cohort share the same feature - clearly a battle enhancement then.

And it's not that big a leap from the manga, which has plenty of panels where Hugo has normal-sized eyes vs. Alita's large so-called 'manga' eyes.

So let go your eye-size prejudice Era doubters and give it a chance. It's fun.
I disagree. I saw the movie and read all the manga way before. Alita has manga eyes because she is a young girl. Other characters that are fully human have as big or bigger eyes (Koyomi, Shumira). The manga has its own version of battle enhanced eyes that don't look human at all. They are called compound eyes like the ones bugs have.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The big eye thing was the least of the movie's issues for me - though it did often create an uncanny valley effect that wouldn't have been there if they just had the actress' normal face on display. The movie was pretty dull for me, I just didn't click with it at all, so even though I could tell they were going for cool action scenes, I didn't really care about any of the characters so it was all weightless fluff that didn't excite me. Some cool moves and fight scenes but they all felt so artificial and hollow. Alita was too doe-eyed and "Oooooh, isn't everything so amazing???" for me to get behind, her love interest was just a really poor actor, all the bad guys were moustache-twirling blobs of over-designed CGI with creepy human faces slapped on...I just couldn't engage with any of it. It was better made than the Transformers films, but I had that same sense of apathy I had with all but the first of Bay's films in that series, I just didn't care about the spectacle they were showing me.

Not a bad film by any means, but one I'd never choose to watch again.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't bother me. The fucking terrible acting and dialogue is what bothered me.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

It's amazing what gets a pass around here. Fuck Banner/Hulk over and assassinate the character by making them a stupid CG amalgamation, and it gets a pass. Try to adapt a manga and use CG to offset the look of a female CYBORG with larger-than-life eyes...OMFG SO DISGUSTING WILL NOT WATCH!!!

YES it is the MCU's fault Alita was middling and underwhelmed at the BO. Yeeeeesh what a take, MCU got people angryyyy

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things they kept from the manga, that should have been the last one.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was weird after watching the trailer. Watched the movie and got used to it after maybe 5 minutes. Now I like it. Good movie.
Too bad it won't get a sequel.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Eyes didn't bother me. However the script was terrible with some cringe worthy lines. Also the "love" between the main characters wasn't believable at all. The action wasn't even that great either. Movie wasn't good big eyes or not.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't even notice it after a few minutes. The eyes help remind the audience that she's a cyborg. It's not a bad movie at all. If you avoided it due to the eyes you missed out.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
No one in the movie ever comments on them so I couldn't tell if it was a canon URM lore thing, or if it was just a meta artstyle thing.