• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Guilty Gear 2020(his dreads are nice and thicc):

04_gggallery06.jpg

Tekken 7 DLC(his dreads are so frosty wow)
2dfd4d2f-9744-433d-8f66-bcc73c028e96.jpg

And of course... Master Raven (Tekken)(her dye job is on point!!!)
maxresdefault.jpg

Eddy (I like his dye too!!!!!! That red!):
tekken_5_eddy_gordo.jpg

As a former dread head myself, it feels good to see my favorite hairstyle represented in video games. They look nice and crisp like how I used to keep mine. Mine were still a bit more shiny and awesomer, but hey, one day at a time.

It feels like a Renaissance is happening with hairdos! Let's show our appreciation and talk about how badass they are!!!!! !!!!!! 1

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I love that new Guilty Gear characters design! Hopefully he fits my play style!

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Is super legit. I'm def a fan of the accurate styling. Even Eddy has thin locks which look great.

Miss my hair

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I dig them even if its becoming a bit tropey but they look good in 3D with some basic shader work and hey, if it gets more poc reps in our games, go crazy

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not Much of a fan of dreads personally, but all of these people with dreads do look legit. Especially Leroy. I think the beard helps tie it all together.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
dont forget Darli aswell
mk11-darli-story-2019-06-19-23-17-3000011205still001-1561041352467.jpg

Japan can't do black people hair in fighting games without making it anime and white tho

So dreads is a safe choice

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I have been noticing a lot more games have been getting better at portraying Black hair, which I appreciate.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking of making a thread about how dreads are in. Don't forget Darli Dagger from Samurai Shodown.

latest

Personally, I would prefer other hairstyles for black folks, but I don't dread the dreadlocks since you can do a lot with them.

May 9, 2019
First Cyberpunk 2077 now this...black characters are looking better than ever.

I don't wear dreads and probably never will but this is neat. Both characters look stunning.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Warframe added dreadlocks a while back for character customizations I personally like that we can have multiple colors in hair at this point now. Well techinically, they were there from the beginning when operators were added, but these are new variations now.

9eccff5cb355ae2e9893ff0d0a91f644.png

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like GG dude puts on a mask and might have it on during fights
:(

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
518DP0zbTSL._SX355_.jpg

Took them years to catch up to this game's path, but I want this hairstyle used as much as possible

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Leroy Smith name and looks are so fucking boss it hurts

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe added dreadlocks a while back for character customizations I personally like that we can have multiple colors in hair at this point now. Well techinically, they were there from the beginning when operators were added, but these are new variations now.

9eccff5cb355ae2e9893ff0d0a91f644.png
YES I saw them from a Warframe stream I caught almost two weeks ago and was kinda blown away. The studio is Canadian so I suppose they probably have more reference overall but still they were nice.

Really happy to see some somewhat better representation from Japan though. Progress!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter World added a bunch of new hairstyles for the Iceborne expansion.

Dreadlocks were one of the additions (kinda)
HQZW1M2.png

Thank god I havent started this game yet properly.
I need to make a character.
I was watching some thread on Fashion Hunter and characters look amazing, but this hair style not being included default has me intrigued, might get the new DLC just for this.
Guild Wars 2 has some good hair

Human_female_hair_styles_2.jpg
If I played Guild Wars 2, id be sold on doing a femal character.
These are all pretty damn good, they look really good.

Has any game done the smaller dreads like J. Cole or better yet Dagger_lsk have?
I really dig the small thin look dreads since ive seen the thick ones done in multiple games.
Looking at the work that goes into hair I imagine this would be a tall order just to design let alone actually render in real time.....but one can dream right?

Aug 5, 2019
I don't like them, especially on drawn/CG characters: depending on how they're designed they can look like tubes inserted in their heads or a head full of worms or spaghetti, but to each their own.