• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Assassin's Creed Odyssey combat is good enough.

Why do western devs seem to struggle with melee combat so much? Even the better examples of melee combat in western games seem to be influenced heavily from the combat system in a japanese game.

Cultural thing... Japan doesn't have many shooters too (if any)

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Rocksteady and Insomniac. Slim pickins in the melee category for some reason.

Darksiders 2 and 3 had decent combat, but 2 didn't let you attack cancel and it desperately needed it (maybe this was fixed in the WARmastered versions). Kingdoms of Amalur suffered from the same thing. 3 let you after it was patched. I guess God of War doesn't either, so maybe I shouldn't rag on that aspect, but it goes a ways into making combat really fun if it's normally fast-paced. The Surge 1 and 2 had some satisfying Souls combat with a twist, but the enemy's recovery is kind of hard to understand. Legacy of Kain: Defiance had some decent DMC-esque combat. Castlevania Lords of Shadow had busted combat, but the second game improved it by a lot.

DmC is far deeper than the original. People play the original because it's crunchy and satisfying and the enemy design is probably still the best in the series. But insofar as how general interactions go, it's pretty simple stuff. DmC isn't as deep as 4 or 5, but I'd say it's probably a better game on the whole than 4. And I say this as someone who kind of despises DmC's aesthetic. It's probably deeper than 3 without the style switcher, but I think 3 plays better.

I meant original as the OG series not the first game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why do western devs seem to struggle with melee combat so much? Even the better examples of melee combat in western games seem to be influenced heavily from the combat system in a japanese game.
I think it's rooted in Japan's history with fighting games. Itsuno, the director of DMC3, DMC4 and DMC5 is a FG veteran. Platinum is made of Capcom alumni. So maybe there's something there.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guardcrush... crushed it. Streets of Fury is awesome and Streets of Rage 4 is just sublime. *chef's kiss*

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a very practical combat system. In something like Darksiders II, which I'm also a big fan of, in order to do the sort of long juggle strings I'm doing in the first clip I'd likely be using an intentionally underpowered weapon so I can hit enemies for longer. But in this clip I'm always either hitting for stun, so I can do my instakill finisher, or building up my weapon strength in low stun moves. And then I do my finisher.

It has as much Souls DNA as it has Stylish Action in it. The end result is extremely satisfying to play. It just feels amazing. It's not as deep as something like DMC5, and if you ask me which one I prefer I will tell you DMC5, but when I'm playing GOW, it's never on my mind, you know? I don't miss this depth while playing, what the game offers thoroughly satisfies me.

...except for enemy/boss variety. What is there is very good, but there's not enough for how big of a game it is. I really hope they can step up on that front when the sequel comes. Hopefully it'll be quite a bit longer until then, I can't buy a PS5 any time soon. :P

I didn't play The Last of Us Part II yet, but from gifs the melee looks pretty underwhelming, when used liberally. The worst looking combat bits of the game are by far when either the player or the combat scenario are focusing on melee and dodging exclusively. The melee finishers are incredible, but the regular hits...

FWIW I find the bat really fun to use in TLOU2. But I also enjoy it in TLOU1.

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I find the bat really fun to use in TLOU2. But I also enjoy it in TLOU1.
Oh yeah, for sure. The melee in the first game is super satisfying. I wouldn't exactly include it in a "best melee combat" conversation, but if we're talking about "best melee in a shooter", then it's absolutely up there.

I think it's rooted in Japan's history with fighting games. Itsuno, the director of DMC3, DMC4 and DMC5 is a FG veteran. Platinum is made of Capcom alumni. So maybe there's something there.
Right. Also has to do with how much each side experiments outside of their "comfort zones", in a way?

No one would argue that the west isn't far ahead when it comes to first person shooters, but what is the last japanese FPS you've played, right? They don't even try. If they put out as many FPS as the west puts out melee action games, the comparisons would likely be even less favorable.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Naught dog, Tlou2 is simple straight forward and effective. Looks and plays good. It was never meant to be a super deep combo crazy combat game, what MGS tried to do with cqc since mgs3 and still fail. Guess Death Stranding is OK ish.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, for sure. The melee in the first game is super satisfying. I wouldn't exactly include it in a "best melee combat" conversation, but if we're talking about "best melee in a shooter", then it's absolutely up there.

Yeah I get that angle for sure. Hard to categorize lol. It's hard for me to think of it as a shooter though lol because I'm playing the first game through for the first serious time right now and I'm on survivor so guns get used as little as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that angle for sure. Hard to categorize lol. It's hard for me to think of it as a shooter though lol because I'm playing the first game through for the first serious time right now and I'm on survivor so guns get used as little as possible.
Hmm, you're right. I agree.

Action-stealth is a much better category for it. Action-horror would also fit when considering infected encounters, but it's not quite the aesthetic it's going for. The similarities have more to do with how much The Last of Us influenced The Evil Within than how much The Last of Us borrows from RE4.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, you're right. I agree.

Action-stealth is a much better category for it. Action-horror would also fit when considering infected encounters, but it's not quite the aesthetic it's going for. The similarities have more to do with how much The Last of Us influenced The Evil Within than how much The Last of Us borrows from RE4.

You know I've never played The Evil Within. How does it balance shooting vs melee? Still not sure if I'd play it since like The Last of Us is about as far as I go with horror lmao, but I am curious and TEW2 is a gorgeous looking video game.

Oct 27, 2017
Satisfying melee combat is hard for developers in general, but yeah For Honor does a pretty good job, at least for one on one fights. Gets a little messy when there's a group fight. I think Spider-Man does a great job at incorporating a lot of fun tools and abilities to intersperse with your standard melee attack and counter, plus the level of vertical space sets it apart from regular open world action games.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Some others have already been mentioned, but didn't that studio who did Castlevania do a good job? Edit- Mercury Steam

Also Dante Inferno's devs. (Visceral)

Obviously they borrowed ideas from Sony Santa Monica, but I enjoyed the combat.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You know I've never played The Evil Within. How does it balance shooting vs melee? Still not sure if I'd play it since like The Last of Us is about as far as I go with horror lmao, but I am curious and TEW2 is a gorgeous looking video game.

The gameplay is not TEW or TEW2's strength, I'll put it that way. It doesn't get in the way like some horror games but it doesn't feel good either, especially because most of the boss fights are TERRIBLE.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm guessing that NT made the list here for something other than Hellblade, because the combat was the weakest part of that game. It didnt ruin the game, I still enjoyed it from start to finish, but the combat was not the reason I enjoyed that game.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot more about ambushing enemies, stealth take downs, traps and stuff. There's quite a bit of shooting, but much like in The Last of Us, you almost never want to just run into an encounter and start shooting.

It does go quite a bit further than The Last of Us with horror, and the game is not as polished either, so I wouldn't recommend to deal with something you don't like for it or anything. Especially the first game, it's really a homage to horror video games in many ways.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is not TEW or TEW2's strength, I'll put it that way. It doesn't get in the way like some horror games but it doesn't feel good either, especially because most of the boss fights are TERRIBLE.

I did hear bad things about the bosses yeah :/

It's a lot more about ambushing enemies, stealth take downs, traps and stuff. There's quite a bit of shooting, but much like in The Last of Us, you almost never want to just run into an encounter and start shooting.

It does go quite a bit further than The Last of Us with horror, and the game is not as polished either, so I wouldn't recommend to deal with something you don't like for it or anything. Especially the first game, it's really a homage to horror video games in many ways.

Alright. Well your description of the gameplay isn't a complete turn off. I didn't know there was a stealth component. Like assassinations and shit? Cuz that shit's really fun in TLOU.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Well your description of the gameplay isn't a complete turn off. I didn't know there was a stealth component. Like assassinations and shit? Cuz that shit's really fun in TLOU.

In TEW2, most of the sections involving enemies essentially force you into stealth, yeah. Especially early in the game when you have very few tools, getting spotted by an enemy is Metal Gear Solid 1-level destructive - enemies just call for all their allies and swarm you and you get overwhelmed very quickly and either run away to regroup or die almost immediately.

You're kind of expected to avoid them, kill them with stealth takedowns, or utilize the environment to take them out without being located.

The problem is that some of the boss fights also rely on these stealth mechanics but allow the bosses to just randomly sense you as you sneak up on them, rendering the stealth takedowns more of a chore than a satisfying gameplay cycle.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
In TEW2, most of the sections involving enemies essentially force you into stealth, yeah. Especially early in the game when you have very few tools, getting spotted by an enemy is Metal Gear Solid 1-level destructive - enemies just call for all their allies and swarm you and you get overwhelmed very quickly and either run away to regroup or die almost immediately.

You're kind of expected to avoid them, kill them with stealth takedowns, or utilize the environment to take them out without being located.

The problem is that some of the boss fights also rely on these stealth mechanics but allow the bosses to just randomly sense you as you sneak up on them, rendering the stealth takedowns more of a chore than a satisfying gameplay cycle.

Oh ew that sounds horrible. I can't think of an instance where someone made stealth work well for a boss fight.

The rest though actually sounds kinda cool though. Thanks.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Hellblade's combat was BAD and easily the worst part of that game so not sure why you think Ninja Theory do some of the best combat..

SSM, Rocksteady and Insomniac are up there, as well as Team Cherry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ew that sounds horrible. I can't think of an instance where someone made stealth work well for a boss fight.

The rest though actually sounds kinda cool though. Thanks.

One of the boss battles seems like they were TRYING to approximate the amazing Mr. Freeze boss battle from the Arkham games but they just didn't have the time or the patience to make it work right. The boss has way too much health to fight head on with traditional weapons (I've tried, burned all of my ammo for every gun I had and he just wouldn't go down) so it's clearly TRYING to make you fight him in stealth but his awareness is just too keen and it's almost impossible to sneak up on him after the first or second takedown.

It was the part that made me ragequit the game. I was enjoying most of it up to that point but that fight was so unbelievably frustrating and the opposite of fun that I just completely gave up. Really close to the end too, from what I heard...

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
what?

everything about Hellblade's combat it is at least good,

Hellblade's combat is a fairly common complaint about the game. I agree with you though, I think the main combat is solid and the mixture with the audio design really elevated it. I was honestly pretty wowed by how it played out.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Darksiders 3 had pretty good combat. I tend to stick to Japanese games for melee combat though.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Vigil does it well with the darksiders game

I can't count DmC since some japanese staff helped them with the combat which explains why no other Ninja Theory game has combat as good as DmC

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Also, the older God of War games while not as deep were super stylish and fun to play. Can't say I like the 2018 game that much though

Oct 26, 2018
Why? I said it to make clear that I can't comment on the quality of the combat in that one. The artstyle still looks hideous.
Because you're judging without playing ing it yourself, which is basically what you said to someone else. Don't judge until you've actually tried it. And artstyle has nothing to do with how it plays. Infamous never looked good me but love the power mechanics. Whereas sotc remake looks amazing but I prefer the controls of the original

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
One of the boss battles seems like they were TRYING to approximate the amazing Mr. Freeze boss battle from the Arkham games but they just didn't have the time or the patience to make it work right. The boss has way too much health to fight head on with traditional weapons (I've tried, burned all of my ammo for every gun I had and he just wouldn't go down) so it's clearly TRYING to make you fight him in stealth but his awareness is just too keen and it's almost impossible to sneak up on him after the first or second takedown.

It was the part that made me ragequit the game. I was enjoying most of it up to that point but that fight was so unbelievably frustrating and the opposite of fun that I just completely gave up. Really close to the end too, from what I heard...

what boss would that be? I can only think of one boss that was maybe like that and it was in the first 3rd of the game

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Big Huge Games - Kingdom of Amular combat was really fun and satisfying even if it was too easy

Virgil - Darksiders 2 especially had some really awesome combat, fast paced

The collective - I never played Buffy but Indiana Jones combat was so fun it ruined Uncharted combat for me. the variety of weapons you can use as well (cracking people over the head with chairs)

Rocksteady - Batman combat even though it is much maligned on the internet, it's very fun, easy to get into and has good depth and enemy variety if only it had better bosses

Ubisoft Quebec - they pretty much copied arkham combat in syndicate but Odyssey surprised me, they need to tighten up the dodge windows and animations and it would be up there

Double Helix - Never played killer instinct but Strider is really fun combat

Motion Twin- dead cells has very satisfying combat

Team Cherry - Hollow Knight

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
DmC is far behind actual DMC, but it's still better than any QTE contextual animation combat. The only western action game with better melee combat than DmC I played is GoW2018, not even the previous entries had better combat.

Now for third place... Darksiders 2!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hellblade's combat is a fairly common complaint about the game. I agree with you though, I think the main combat is solid and the mixture with the audio design really elevated it. I was honestly pretty wowed by how it played out.

Exactly,

if you divide it by parts, every part it is at least good.

but that combat is more than the sum of it's parts

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Ironically in my experience after playing games from those studios I think that combat was the weakest part of their games, it was dull, boring and repetitive. Heavenly sword was decent, Batman and Witcher were a chore to play. Just my 2 cents.
It's a fairly common opinion that combat in Batman and TW3 isn't good.