• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strictly speaking, one meatbag is the same as another. Anything I do is in support of my Master.

• I read the OP and I think it should be more like RE1 and Zero Mission

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I read the OP and I think it should be more like RE2 and Samus Return

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • I didn't read the OP and I think it should be more like RE1 and Zero Mission

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • I didn't read the OP and I think it should be more like RE2 and Samus Return

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Let me begin my saying what I mean: I wouldn't be surprised if people first reaction is to disagree with this. Why? Because they would be correct. REmake 1 and Zero Mission were for a lot of the time 1:1 remakes, with slight changes, improvements and extra content. But the map in Zero Mission was the same, REmake 1 had a fixed camera angle and tank controls, etc. That is, they were very close to the original when compared to more recent remakes like REmake 2/3 or Metroid: Samus Returns. KoTOR needs more than that, particularly in terms of combat.

What I mean then is that in terms of quests, structure, story, characters, KoTOR is basically perfect. All the changes the remake make should be so the game can stay the same! Replaying the game it's incredible how every single small thing feels meaningful, how every character you meet feels like they justify their existence, no matter if they are a small character that plays Pazzak (which should be expanded on the remake!) or one that is involved with a big questline. Every piece of the game falls into place. I mean, meeting HK-47 for the first time? That should be in the remake, line for line. And then add more if you want, a new memory perhaps. Jolee is such a wonderful take on the Jedi, all his stories must remain, and so on. It's true that there is always room for polishing some dialogues and characters, and that should be done. With care.

I feel like even a small quest getting cut will bring... unbalance. An overstatement perhaps? But true in the sense that every quest in that game made it slight better than if it wasn't there. Combat will need to be reworked, and the level design will be a consequence of that. But you can still be faithful to everything I mentioned in the second paragraph.

In short: in terms of combat and level design: rework and create something new and modern. In terms of everything else: keep the same/polish and add more.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I disagree that Zero Misson was close to the original Metroid. It shared some of the same places but it was basically a reimagining. REmake also had a lot of different areas and new storylines thrown in.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Straight remakes are absolutely boring. It's more of a glorified remaster at this point.
Go the RE2 route. Even the RE3 route if necessary.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Strong disagree. KoTOR exists, so anyone who wants the "pure" experience can still play it. I'm always in favor of the big reimaginings, especially when there's such a hardware gap.

FWIW, I expect we'll get your preferred version of the remake, regardless. Not based on anything but a hunch.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should definitely update some quests and the way they treat Bastila in some creepy ways. They already confirmed they're making some changes to parts of the story, even if the core structure is the same. I like that. If you have the opportunity to improve, always go for it.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
There's probably a few side quests that can be cut or updated to be more interesting since being an early 00's rpg it had some filler content. I would also assume they are going to take a more cinematic approach to the dialogue cutscenes (like in the original it was 90% of the time it was either zoom in face or wide shot with repeated stock animations for cutscenes) so some the lines will need to be adjusted for proper pacing with the new direction and animations. And I personally would like if they tried injecting some conservations between crew members like in jedi fallen order and Mass effect 3

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't put Zero Mission and GC Resident Evil 1 in the same category of remake. Zero Mission strays much more from the source material.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it's still an RPG, it'll be good

I don't want an action game with skill trees

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There's probably a few side quests that can be cut or updated to be more interesting since being an early 00's rpg it had some filler content. I would also assume they are going to take a more cinematic approach to the dialogue cutscenes (like in the original it was 90% of the time it was either zoom in face or wide shot with repeated stock animations for cutscenes) so some the lines will need to be adjusted for proper pacing with the new direction and animations. And I personally would like if they tried injecting some conservations between crew members like in jedi fallen order and Mass effect 3

There are some things that we can take for granted. KoTORR will certainly take the lessons learned from modern cinematic RPGs, so we can expect a voiced protagonist and a more intuitive way to pick dialogue options. Better animations and all that are also part of that package. But my point in the OP is that you can add all that without changing the very structure of the game. More than simply keeping the "soul" intact, like REmake 2 does, they can keep many other things. I also think KoTOR had very little in terms of filler content, certainly WAY LESS than some modern RPGs that are bloated through their teeth. What content exactly would you call filler rather than something that makes the game better?

And I 100% with your point about the crew interacting more, I even mentioned ME3 in some other threads as an example they had to follow. The funny think is that KoTOR had a bit of that in the beginning of the game, like this dialogue which is gold:

As long as it's still an RPG, it'll be good

I don't want an action game with skill trees

Don't worry, it will 100% be a RPG. The Mass Effect trilogy is one of the best references, with a touch of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
We already know the combat is getting completely overhauled which pretty much incurs a RE2/Samus Returns style remake so yeah.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Let me begin my saying what I mean: I wouldn't be surprised if people first reaction is to disagree with this. Why? Because they would be correct. REmake 1 and Zero Mission were for a lot of the time 1:1 remakes, with slight changes, improvements and extra content. But the map in Zero Mission was the same, REmake 1 had a fixed camera angle and tank controls, etc. That is, they were very close to the original when compared to more recent remakes like REmake 2/3 or Metroid: Samus Returns. KoTOR needs more than that, particularly in terms of combat.

What I mean then is that in terms of quests, structure, story, characters, KoTOR is basically perfect. All the changes the remake make should be so the game can stay the same! Replaying the game it's incredible how every single small thing feels meaningful, how every character you meet feels like they justify their existence, no matter if they are a small character that plays Pazzak (which should be expanded on the remake!) or one that is involved with a big questline. Every piece of the game falls into place. I mean, meeting HK-47 for the first time? That should be in the remake, line for line. And then add more if you want, a new memory perhaps. Jolee is such a wonderful take on the Jedi, all his stories must remain, and so on. It's true that there is always room for polishing some dialogues and characters, and that should be done. With care.

I feel like even a small quest getting cut will bring... unbalance. An overstatement perhaps? But true in the sense that every quest in that game made it slight better than if it wasn't there. Combat will need to be reworked, and the level design will be a consequence of that. But you can still be faithful to everything I mentioned in the second paragraph.

In short: in terms of combat and level design: rework and create something new and modern. In terms of everything else: keep the same/polish and add more.

Out of your fucking mind. Looney Tunes.

Not only is the combat beyond dated (another discussion). I can think of numerous improvements that can be made to side quests and story structure. Hell, even introducing some nuance to choices beyond "Be Good or Be Evil?" would go a long way to improving things. Sure, you should be able to be an absolute bastard. After all, the Sith are evil. But, additional nuance could be added. And that goes to the dialog as a whole, which while great at the time, could use some sprucing up for today with a bit more depth.

Also, please fix Carth "I don't want to talk about it" Onassi.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now confused. Do we know for sure if KOTOR Remake is more along the lines of RE2 remake or RE1 remake or somewhere in between?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that both REmake 1 and Zero Mission already changed a lot IMO.

That said for KOTOR I'm fine with it being more of a reimagining like RE2, since the combat wasn't terribly engaging or well-balanced, and the level desigb, quest structure etc has plenty of room for improvement.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Much prefer faithful remakes. Playing these games I always wonder what they would look like with the latest graphics. To get that but them the game has been drastically changed is a bit like oh well that's nice I guess but it's no longer that game it's something else.

Like getting a reprint of a classic book but it's been re-written to cover the same story beats and characters but in a different style it's just not the same.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Out of your fucking mind. Looney Tunes.

Not only is the combat beyond dated (another discussion). I can think of numerous improvements that can be made to side quests and story structure. Hell, even introducing some nuance to choices beyond "Be Good or Be Evil?" would go a long way to improving things. Sure, you should be able to be an absolute bastard. After all, the Sith are evil. But, additional nuance could be added. And that goes to the dialog as a whole, which while great at the time, could use some sprucing up for today with a bit more depth.

Also, please fix Carth "I don't want to talk about it" Onassi.

I do think they can polish dialogues. Games that have a dual morality system tend to have this problem, like KoTOR1 and 2 and the Mass Effect trilogy. When you want to add both spectrums to every dialogue choice, it tends to make so that in a lot of those choices, the "evil" choice just make you sound like a jerk or falls completely outside of what a normal conversation would go. But this so you enhance story, characters, structure and quests, which are, in fact, quite perfect. Even diamonds have flaws, but that doesn't make them less valuable.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I would bin the slow ass underwater walkathon on Manaan. If I gave it more thought, I'm sure I could come up with some other stuff to bin or change. I think a lot can be done to change up the dialogue and quests, and am open to doing anything to make Mission and Carth bearable. Sith Hogwarts on Korriban was just so silly... albeit it's Star Wars, so silliness is expected... but the Sith Academy was so ridiculously proudly training backstabbing assholes it got kinda ridiculous. Like, I think the things they could do to improve it are less "polish" and more "cut to the bone and build back up".

Combat is gonna be a thing.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I should probably try playing Kotor again, never finished it. I read all of your post though, I see what you're getting at. A reimagining like Zero Mission would be interesting, basically extra stuff, more fluid controls.