• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Most typical visual novels wouldn't work, but after playing the demo, I was convinced that Danganronpa would be so amazing in VR. The demo was just a short excerpt from one of the court room sections from the first game, but the executions, and the investigations all done in VR would be so amazing. I always loved the 2D artwork in Danganronpa, but the VR demo showed me that the characters can also still look pretty amazing as 3D character models.

I get remaking the games would be a big undertaking, but I'll take even just the first one. Why tease us with this demo without just doing the whole thing.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Vive and an Index, and I find reading in VR to still be kind of hard on the eyes. I think we need improved headset resolution and optics before I will want to play a text-heavy game in VR.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I have a Vive and an Index, and I find reading in VR to still be kind of hard on the eyes. I think we need improved headset resolution and optics before I will want to play a text-heavy game in VR.
I'd think if they did remake it, maybe have more voice acting then. The original games just had the court sessions be the main voice acted part, but if all the dialogue was voice acted, then it would alleviate that a little.

So the demo was just a proof of concept? They're not actually making a full game?
I don't know. I wish I knew if they gave a reason for the demo. Seemed like a lot of work to just give it away for free, and with no plan to use it further. But it was released years ago at this point, and haven't seen anything come from it.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Eh, it would be cool but it's not necessary for the series to be good.

I kinda prefer the rotating style they do now tbh.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the demo but it's not something I'd like for a full DR game. Like a *lot* of DR is just reading text, and I don't think VR adds much to that, especially when V3 is at least 30-35 hours long. I get tired wearing a PSVR after 40 minutes, so I'd have to play it like at least 50 times approx to finish the game if I need a break at a usual timeframe that I do when wearing a VR headset. IIRC I finished it on a Vita in like a week only stopping at like 2 points each chapter. That's a huge difference.

Maybe if it was only for the class trials it'd be cool but at that point I'd probably just not bother with using it and just keep with the Vita versions for comfort and convenience.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I enjoyed the demo but it's not something I'd like for a full DR game. Like a *lot* of DR is just reading text, and I don't think VR adds much to that, especially when V3 is at least 30-35 hours long. I get tired wearing a PSVR after 40 minutes, so I'd have to play it like at least 50 times approx to finish the game if I need a break at a usual timeframe that I do when wearing a VR headset. IIRC I finished it on a Vita in like a week only stopping at like 2 points each chapter. That's a huge difference.

Maybe if it was only for the class trials it'd be cool but at that point I'd probably just not bother with using it and just keep with the Vita versions for comfort and convenience.
I could live with that. That would be pretty cool, but I still think it'd be really cool if it was part of the investigation portions too. Being able to look around the 3d space for clues. Ahh, I gotta stop wishing for this, for it to never happen.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
They should definetly make a VR game. A full one.

Could be really interactive and immersive.
That's what the demo kinda showed me. Seeing that one small section of a court case from the first Danganronpa made me want to see all those parts in VR. Again, I love the 2D art in those games, but it was also limiting the presentation, especially when certain things go down. I would love to see some of those full reveals or turns in the cases happen in full 3D, and in VR would just be even cooler.

Seeing Monokuma just sitting in the court room, and being surrounded by every one was so cool in VR. Seeing how animated they got was great.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what the demo kinda showed me. Seeing that one small section of a court case from the first Danganronpa made me want to see all those parts in VR. Again, I love the 2D art in those games, but it was also limiting the presentation, especially when certain things go down. I would love to see some of those full reveals or turns in the cases happen in full 3D, and in VR would just be even cooler.

Seeing Monokuma just sitting in the court room, and being surrounded by every one was so cool in VR. Seeing how animated they got was great.
Yeah and imagine if they did something like LA Noire VR.
Moving bodies around to check for clues. Doing puzzles by yourself interacting with the objects. Interacting with the characters by shaking hands or something. It would make the world and the cast feel really intimate and immersive.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Yeah and imagine if they did something like LA Noire VR.
Moving bodies around to check for clues. Doing puzzles by yourself interacting with the objects. Interacting with the characters by shaking hands or something. It would make the world and the cast feel really intimate and immersive.
They did do LA Noire in VR. It's not the whole game, but it's a selection of cases. I was thinking about picking it up sometime.

Oh, you mean if they made Danganronpa LIKE La Noire was. Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Checking the crime scene would be cool

Oct 27, 2017
They did do LA Noire in VR. It's not the whole game, but it's a selection of cases. I was thinking about picking it up sometime.

Oh, you mean if they made Danganronpa LIKE La Noire was. Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Checking the crime scene would be cool
Yeah that's what I meant.

It makes way too much sense but sadly that means it won't happen.

If I was Sony, I would do a deal with the devs and create an exclusive VR Danganronpa. Japan in particular would probably be all for it.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Yeah that's what I meant.

It makes way too much sense but sadly that means it won't happen.

If I was Sony, I would do a deal with the devs and create an exclusive VR Danganronpa. Japan in particular would probably be all for it.
That would be too interesting...we gotta make room for Iron Man VR, where you're going to be aiming with shitty move controllers, while probably mostly being on rails...yay...

Iron Man VR looks fine, I'll check it out, but I feel like it's just yet another virtual shooting gallery which VR has too much of already. Sony just wants that Disney/Marvel money.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Need to try it. Is it only available for PSVR in the Japanese store, or is it in teh US store?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Sony funded a bunch of VR demos back around the launch of PSVR, I suppose to get devs some experience and hopefully encourage farther development. Granzella made a Godzilla VR demo, Capcom made a Resident Evil demo featuring L'Arc en Ciel music (not the RE7 Kitchen Demo) and a few others got made too but I cant remember them all at this time. Frankly I'm glad we even got a public release of them at all. Most companies don't release their tech demos.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a cute little thing to experience, but I don't think I'd want to play a full DR game in this style. So much text to read. I also like to do the trials in one go, and sometimes they go long enough that it'd be quite a long VR sesh.