• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you still purchase Anthem after playing the demo?

• Yes

Votes: 564 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 946 35.7%
  • Running into too many bugs to even play

Votes: 226 8.5%
  • Waiting for open demo

Votes: 914 34.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Lack of ANY pvp is a massive turnoff for me.

That's a plus for me. Though to be fair, I don't mind PVP modes if they keep them separate from PVE modes.

Some of my biggest gripes about Destiny are tied to them having to need weapons in PVE to be balanced for PVP and having to play PVP to level up faster since those modes give powerful rewards that help you level up for PVE. Keep it all separate and I don't care of PVP stuff is their.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I watched some gameplay and it looks really...slow? Flying around looks fun but the combat look really slow and boring.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for the long haul. I would not have recommended D2 to anyone at launch, it's great now. This will be the same I think. I was not hyped in anyway, said ehh why not I'll give it a try though. Really liked what I played (bugs aside). Son REALLY liked it so it's an easy buy for me.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Wasn't planning on getting Anthem, but the demo sold it for me. Love Destiny but no matching hinders my ability to enjoy it ti the fullest. Anthem has matchmaking and it was fun enough that I will pick it up after a couple patches.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm pretty "with it" in relation to game news and all that.

Being said, I literally just found out Anthem was coming out for ps4 about 2 hours ago as I was browsing the PS Store. I thought it was an Xbox exclusive all this time.

I wish I could play the demo, it looks pretty cool. I'll likely pick it up down the road, but most likely not at launch.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Once the main tech issues were sorted (for me), I really enjoyed my time. Storm being my favorite javelin of the 3 I played. I know they have improvements to flying coming, but it felt fine for me after changing the flight settings to 80% as a dev suggested. My main concern is the endgame content, and how long it'll last players. The visuals are also maybe a bit too busy? Although they do look nice.

Overall it's a game I'd like to play more of, so I'll be there day 1.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No, the performance is poor and the controls are awful on PC. If they can fix both of these issues then maybe, I did have some fun with the game but it just felt really unfinished.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Was able to play some free roam and the Stronghold (easy) before the demo ended, without too much hassle. Playing with the Colossus was a lot of fun, I was enjoying it a lot more than the Ranger.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I plan on using a Premier subscription to play the game. I enjoy the combat and combo system enough, even through the poor performance and insane amount of bugs.

I did kind of give up hope on a Bioware RPG story experience, but maybe the final release will still surprise me.

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
I am still definitely buying it! I did experience two crashes on the stronghold, which was frustrating, but I am confident that will be fixed before launched. I had a blast flying around, exploring the world, and fighting things. I thought Storm wasn't going to be for me, but it turned into my second favorite behind the Ranger. Looking forward to playing even more!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because of the bugs I only played the demo in snippets. What I did get to play was awesome. However, it's a bug ridden mess. It reminds me of 2013's Battlfied 4 launch. That game had some glitches that needed to be fixed but it was playable. Frustrating but playable. Anthem on the other hand isn't even playable. I ran into so many bugs that I deleted it earlier today.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
The demo was pretty much exactly what I expected the game to be. I'm still in.

Only question remains is how much content will there be at launch and beyond?

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it, unless enough friends get super into it and I want to play with them. The characters and world don't really do anything for me, and the combat just doesn't really grab me for whatever reason. I think I just prefer a first-person perspective for this kind of game. Even ignoring the infinite loading bug there are just too many loading screens in general that break the flow of the game, and I don't think there's any possibility of that getting fixed at any point.

Also that "puzzle" bit at the end of the first demo story mission was a turn off.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play Destiny at launch, but The Division actually hampered by connection issues and bugs at launch. I was there.

I'm talking about pre-release events though, not the actual launch. The difference being a terrible pre-release event like the one FO76 had, and now Anthem also, lets the negative word of mouth start to circulate before people go to buy the game at launch.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm talking about pre-release events though, not the actual launch. The difference being a terrible pre-release event like the one FO76 had, and now Anthem also, lets the negative word of mouth start to circulate before people go to buy the game at launch.
I see. Yeah, I did play Destiny 2 beta/demo and it was flawless. As for The Division, I don't really remember it.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
this game, going by what I experienced in the demo, is one of my biggest disappointments in recent times

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
Like I'm sure many of you have mentioned, if they fix the inf load and optimize the game more, I'll be there. We'll see with the open beta.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA should really be delaying this game, there's no way it'll be ready for the release date.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I'll give it a month of origin access premier for sure, but just from the demo I would not buy it for full price.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Based off of what I actually played, I'll definitely be playing it. HOWEVER, I have had my share of gripes with it and they're not minor by any means:
  1. Infinite Loading Screen - The ONLY way I was able to get past a loading screen is:
    1. Close out Anthem
    2. End Task - Origin
    3. Restart Origin
    4. Boot back into Anthem
    5. Go back into instance and start game
  2. Button mapping - This game is absolutely NOT made for Keyboard/Mouse. It was built to be played by a controller. The KB/M are so all over the place and broken that I had to plug in an Xbox controller to actually manage to play it properly.
  3. Button display - playing with KB/M had controller prompts popping up...wut?
  4. No text chat - Huge bummer. Played with a bunch of randoms to do the Stronghold and it was super fun, but couldn't communicate with them. Disappointing exclusion tbh.
  5. Glitched enemies - I'd be in the middle of a combat sequence and the enemies would just disappear. No world event or anything anywhere nearby, just a random mob that appeared, killed a few, and then disappeared.
  6. Loot - from what I saw, there's no way to check your inventory or look at what loot you picked up without actually exiting an expedition.
  7. Loadout - similar to above, you can't change weapons on the fly, you have to set your loadout before heading to a mission/expedition.
Other than that, the game's aesthetic, the visuals, the gameplay, the loop, all is pretty fantastic. I'll be there day 1

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
The only reason I'd pass is if the demo problems carry over into the open demo/early release.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I can care less about PVP, even in Destiny but there is no doubt that PVP kept games like Destiny and The Division afloat in between content patches. If Anthem comes out with a generic story and a bare bones end game it will crash and die pretty hard.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Whether it takes them 3-6 months to get everything ironed out, i'll be game to play because I really enjoyed the combat I just don't want to be annoyed by all the little things like the menus, load times, amount of loading, the slow ass hub area, the UI/compass etc. I like everything about the combat. Now has it been confirmed that there are only 1 super per Javelin? I feel like that should be a loot drop, a very rare one but that would kind of help because we all know that same super is gonna get old fast (especially the ranger one).

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im waiting until its below £20.

There is nothing great about what I played. Its a totally average game.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Not feeling it at all. It's so derivative. The presentation is too similar to Destiny, which was my worry for it since the reveal. As soon as the first NPC started talking, I was mentally checking out.

I can see this being fun eventually, and I reckon it'll be fairly successful because marketing, but it feels underwhelming and very much late to the party.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When I finally got past the endless loading, what I played didn't blow me away, the ranger sucks, didn't get a chance to play as the storm which I had been championing since reveal.

Hard to make a judgement since I got to barely play the game but it is in desperate need of QOL changes, shit is cumbersome, the objective marker had me and my squad running in literal circles.

As a destiny fan it is clear that EA are thirsty for me if my youtube front page is anything to go by, but honestly, the long term staying power especially without pvp remains cloudy.

Still on the fence.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, bugs aside (which I understand people had more difficulty with than I did), I really enjoyed what I played.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I have an EA Access sub, so I'll be playing it. However, I'm not sure I'll play it on launch. There have been a lot of things which annoyed me in the game, and I'd expect that within 6 months it will have gone through a couple of rounds of improvements. I think it's a good foundation at the very least.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Does the Xbox EA Access have that 10 hour trial thing? If yes I'll just do that at release then see. If they fix all the connection issues then there is potential for me to actually enjoy it.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Probably no. It just feels and looks generic, plus the gameplay loop of collecting loot and xp does not interest me.

It just feels like a game without a face or personality.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed what I played, hopefully they sort the endless loading and lag issues by launch.

I kinda hope they change the lighting in that area too. Having a whole area be this weird canyon that is mostly in shadow the whole time just looks kinda ugly. I actually wonder if the HDR implementation in the demo was just lacking, as it had that kind of washed out look that RDR2 has.

Last edited:

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
As is perhaps sensible, I am also waiting for next week's demo to check they have fixed the loading issues.

Talking about the actual game, I loved it. This is exactly my jam. I didn't get to play very much because of the issues but I couldn't stop thinking about it all weekend, which rarely happens with me.

The combination of flight, powers and large open world encounters mean mean you can play so dynamically. Destiny and The Division (overdone comparison but it has it's uses), the action is freeing. You're not pinned to cover or hiding in a corner for most of the battles.

It's just a shame there were so many major and minor technical issues in this demo. I'm hoping they have a chance to fix them in the month they have left before launch but if I have the same problems getting into the game in the next demo I won't be buying until I know it's fixed.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I don't trust EA for one single second, but I'm not judging imaginary ingame economics just yet. If they pull one over on the players and shit in the face of everything BioWare promised (which, again, I wouldn't be too surprised), there will be war. But until then I can only go with BioWares plans and promises regarding monetization.
Looks like I wasn't that far off.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's revive this thread after the launch of the open demo.

I won't buy it. Mainly because of my mates not liking it. I think it's OK myself, will revisit the game later this year.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
That's a plus for me. Though to be fair, I don't mind PVP modes if they keep them separate from PVE modes.

Some of my biggest gripes about Destiny are tied to them having to need weapons in PVE to be balanced for PVP and having to play PVP to level up faster since those modes give powerful rewards that help you level up for PVE. Keep it all separate and I don't care of PVP stuff is their.

Plus for me. Games like this don't need PvP, there are tons of other shooters on the market that are PvP only.

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
Not a great first impression. Considering their lean on microtransactions and the amount of people passing on it, I'll wait for it to hit $30 in a month or so. I think it'll get there quick.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
If doesn't seem like the demo is particularly well optimized and it's not running well on my rig. Not sure I want to risk the full version not running well so I may just have to pass.