• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I have a large nostalgic soft spot for the original couple of Modern Warfare games. Hell, I've played almost every Call of Duty since picking up CoD2 with the then new Xbox 360 (though I have since migrated to PC), but never for very long. The future shit go really old really fast, and I yearned for a return to form for quite a while.

So when Modern Warfare was revealed, it looked exactly the way I had hoped. I played the Beta for a few hours (caught it late), and the gunplay and animations were top-notch.

However, after recently purchasing it a few weeks after release, I'm already almost bored of it after 3 days of playing the multiplayer (about 7 hours total). Outside of Search and Destroy, the gameplay is completely brain-dead. A fact I had apparently forgotten over the years, but this is truly Call of Duty. Now, there are a lot of factors with this new game that have changed things a bit, like the lower TTK, poor enemy visibility, and the worst set of maps I've seen in a shooter possibly ever, but at the end of the day it's still run-shoot-kill-kill-die.

Siege has been my "primary" shooter since it's release, and I think it's the greatest multiplayer shooter of the last decade by a large margin. The amount of creativity you're able to employ at any given time, the tactical gameplay, communication, and information being the most powerful tool really sets itself apart from the majority of things on the market, but most especially Call of Duty. It's just ridiculously rewarding.

I'll continue to play Call of Duty to get my "kill a bunch of people" fix out of the way, but Siege is so much better it's not even funny.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're finally hitting the period where CoD gameplay feels like it's from another era. It took forever, but we're here.

Siege brings a bit of the old tactical feel (more CS than actual old school R6) inside the more recent framework of CoD type gameplay (ADS, sprint, etc.), and then adds in the even newer trend of unique heroes. It's not particularly original overall but the combination is potent and unlike anything else right now.

It makes CoD feel barebones and kind of meaningless to play unless you want to just enjoy mowing people down.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I hear you.

I had been playing Black Ops 4 with a bunch of friends but when we all prestiged and they removed Team Death Match as a stand alone we stopped. The chaos and the quick matches of shooting dudes real fast is fun for a while but gets old fast.

I dipped my toes in Siege a couple of years ago but was mainly alone with one other friend but didn't really took the time to learn the game or the operators, fast forward a few years and I decided to give it an honest shot and it grabbed me right away, It took some heavy convincing but I eventually managed to get my friends to play as well and now everyone's in it for good, we play 2-3 evenings a week and it's a blast. We also see each other get better at the game which is nice.

It's such a fantastic game and no match is the same. I just wish they did something about the server load times the game has been plagued with the last two months.

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
It's really funny because I felt the same way. I bought cod and ended up going back to siege and having more fun and getting into the game because of it

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Siege but this makes me want to get it next time there's a sale on Steam. Kind of tired of the camping.

Oct 25, 2017
CoD is like a stress free "just run around and get blown up" shooter, compared to Siege which is just tense as hell (at least for me cause I'm easily stressed out).

Never played Siege but this makes me want to get it next time there's a sale on Steam. Kind of tired of the camping.
You should know that camping is a pretty big part of Siege, if you play as the Defenders. But it's a much slower and methodical game so it's not the same camping as in MW or similar shooters.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I played less than 15 matches of Modern Warfare before uninstalling the game. Even Destiny 2 PVP is more fulfilling nowadays, which is bizarre.

Siege is a much more compelling experience, even in matches in which you get stomped.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Siege has such a steep learning curve. It just feels like a whole different thing. When I boot up COD, I just want to shut off my brain and kill some dudes. But with Siege, even in the newbie Playlist it feels like it's MLG all the time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a game with an identity crisis is what it is. It wants to be modern so it has new movement systems, but it wants to be old by going back to outdated designs too. It wants to be tactical so it makes slower gameplay best but it can't combine that with the map designs and the crazy claymore/betty spam. It wants to have giant wars on big maps but still keeps the game balance of a closed quarter arena shooter. It wants to give people who want to camp all kinds of tools but not really any to lure 'em out.

The balance is simply all over the place. It feels like they didn't test out the maps, the weapon balance, how the changes the perks, loadouts, streaks, etc.. I stopped playing because I don't want to adapt my style to a game where the only viable option is camp like crazy. A game that punishes you for moving, for playing the objectives, for taking risks, for flanking, for helping your teammates. Turtle up and camp in your power position, then profit off that.

It's not tactical at all, as I've said before it's a game that wants to be an arena shooter, a team-based large war game like Battlefield, a tactical small map shooter like Siege, an old school Call Of Duty. Its attempt to be all that results in it being none of that, ending up inferior as any COD this generation, any Battlefield this generation or Siege. There is no satisfaction in getting 15 kills in a row nor dying 3 times in a row. It's a hollow experience because it tries to mail so many things and it nails none of them.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much every new 'tactical' style shooter makes me want to go back to Siege, and I do. Nothing has so far captured the feel and strategy that makes the game interesting and replayable. After 4 years I'm still finding out new things in Siege and how to play certain maps and Operators. When I play Modern Warfare I just grind through guns same as everyone else and run around shooting people. It's fine for what it's trying to do but not nearly interesting to keep my attention long term.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Theyre both great at what they do, theyre just different gameplay styles. Sort of like the difference betwween an arcade racer and a sim racer.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Siege is truly amazing. One of the best multiplayer shooters of all time, in my opinion.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I was really hyped for MW, but after playing it for a bit it seems very blah. Playing Siege with a squad is way more appealing.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Want to play siege but I dont have an squad who could teach me how to run the ropes

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
This is how I feel trying any multiplayer shooter that isn't Squad or Red Orchestra / Rising Storm. The gunplay in Call of Duty feels great, but it's just so damn uninteresting.

I love me some Siege too.

OP
OP
BossLackey

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Theyre both great at what they do, theyre just different gameplay styles. Sort of like the difference betwween an arcade racer and a sim racer.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't make them equal. Call of Duty is incredibly shallow, and that seems to be exentuated by the increasingly complex and deep games that currently populate the market. As others have said, Call of Duty has simply not evolved.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Is Rising Storm 2 still populated? I played the crap out of that on release.
I haven't played in a while, but checking Steam there are about 1,500 people playing right now. I know the developer of the game was bought by another studio and has stopped work on RS2, so I don't know how much more support the game will get.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the latest Modern Warfare but the overall sentiment outlined in this thread is why I mostly moved on from Call of Duty after last gen. I've only really played to Prestige 3 at most on BO3 and 4 compared to last gen where I grinded hard on MW2, BO1 and BO2. CoD's gameplay feels outdated and I don't know what they can really do to fix it. It lacks the adrenaline of what Siege offers and there's simply no depth to it after the initial buzz of exploring the new maps and guns for the first time.

It doesn't help that they killed a lot of the fun by nerfing the big killstreaks and constantly making it easier for noobs to get cheap kills (RC car).

I moved to Siege in mid-2016 and haven't really looked back since.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
I have a large nostalgic soft spot for the original couple of Modern Warfare games. Hell, I've played almost every Call of Duty since picking up CoD2 with the then new Xbox 360 (though I have since migrated to PC), but never for very long. The future shit go really old really fast, and I yearned for a return to form for quite a while.

So when Modern Warfare was revealed, it looked exactly the way I had hoped. I played the Beta for a few hours (caught it late), and the gunplay and animations were top-notch.

However, after recently purchasing it a few weeks after release, I'm already almost bored of it after 3 days of playing the multiplayer (about 7 hours total). Outside of Search and Destroy, the gameplay is completely brain-dead. A fact I had apparently forgotten over the years, but this is truly Call of Duty. Now, there are a lot of factors with this new game that have changed things a bit, like the lower TTK, poor enemy visibility, and the worst set of maps I've seen in a shooter possibly ever, but at the end of the day it's still run-shoot-kill-kill-die.

Siege has been my "primary" shooter since it's release, and I think it's the greatest multiplayer shooter of the last decade by a large margin. The amount of creativity you're able to employ at any given time, the tactical gameplay, communication, and information being the most powerful tool really sets itself apart from the majority of things on the market, but most especially Call of Duty. It's just ridiculously rewarding.

I'll continue to play Call of Duty to get my "kill a bunch of people" fix out of the way, but Siege is so much better it's not even funny.
Yeah, MW is so shallow it hurts so i understand your frustration. Kinda sad tho since MW2 is one of my fav. mp games of all time. So i thought this game could bring me back.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Modern Warfare is an evil and vicious cycle of spawning into shitty maps against the fuck house of terror

Also imagine thinking Camping isn't an issue in a game like Siege where positional vantage point holding isn't like, a thing lmfao

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Modern Warfare has actually made me appreciate just how good Battlefield V is (and it's still the weakest BF title), that's how bad it is.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
While I also prefer siege this seems like kind of apples and oranges. Siege is a such a completely different kind of shooter that its almost like comparing an RTS to a turn based game. I think the more correct argument would be maybe whether cod is serving its run and shoot audience as well as it use to. I love COD 4, Blops 1 & 2. But most of the other cod's have been turn-offs to me because they so rarely achieve the correct mix of what I want from cod that those two titles did.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah completely agree. Modern Warfare (2019) is one of the biggest disappointments in gaming to me and its complete lack of direction is a large reason for that. It is clearly a franchise being pulled in different directions by different groups and that dischord is clearly present inside the development teams themselves. Modern Warfare makes these impressive step forwards on the engine side which would feel amazing in a game oriented towards a more measured pace and realism, but nothing about the loadout system, killstreak system, spawning system, game mode design or map design suits it.

I like the way Modern Warfare feels in a moment to moment sense but the overall experience is a trashfire.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to try COD Search & Destroy. Just never got the chance I guess. I've tried Siege on free weekends and I think it would be my main shooter but I don't really like the hero stuff or the grinding.

Still thinking about trying CS, or possibly even Arma multiplayer.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah completely agree. Modern Warfare (2019) is one of the biggest disappointments in gaming to me and its complete lack of direction is a large reason for that. It is clearly a franchise being pulled in different directions by different groups and that dischord is clearly present inside the development teams themselves. Modern Warfare makes these impressive step forwards on the engine side which would feel amazing in a game oriented towards a more measured pace and realism, but nothing about the loadout system, killstreak system, spawning system, game mode design or map design suits it.

I like the way Modern Warfare feels in a moment to moment sense but the overall experience is a trashfire.

Exactly where I'm at. It's save by the great campaign, but everything else screams of them absolutely having no idea about how to achieve what they want Modern Warfare to be, forgetting a decade's worth of experience and finetuning in an attempt to switch up the game. But it just turned to an unpleasant experience.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
To add, I feel like the Modern Warfare games and shooters that followed them have in their essence always been trying to split the difference between Rainbow Six and like, Quake.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I don't disagree, but that doesn't make them equal. Call of Duty is incredibly shallow, and that seems to be exentuated by the increasingly complex and deep games that currently populate the market. As others have said, Call of Duty has simply not evolved.

What exactly is it supposed to evolve to? A copy of Battlefield? A copy of Rainbow Six? A copy of Overwatch? It's a first person shooter. There's not much to evolve unless it goes to directly copying other FPS games.

This mentality is what gave us games like Black Ops 4 and Advanced Warfare.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019

Eh, I mean CoD has been the least common denominator of shooters for a while now. I dont see them needing to change what works for them, the people who play CoD like it the way it is. I think CoD changes enough stuff each year to at least have each installment be distinguishable from other entries. For example I hated black ops 4 but I actually like he new MW. CoD and Seige are going after different markets.

OP
OP
BossLackey

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What exactly is it supposed to evolve to? A copy of Battlefield? A copy of Rainbow Six? A copy of Overwatch? It's a first person shooter. There's not much to evolve unless it goes to directly copying other FPS games.

This mentality is what gave us games like Black Ops 4 and Advanced Warfare.

So the only options for developers is to either stay the same or copy another game? Did I get that right?

I think by far the biggest issue with Call of Duty right now is a severe lack of objective based gameplay. Yes, there are objective modes, but almost all of them just devolve into death match.

I'm not sure how to fix that, but it makes every game way too similar.

The gunplay and mechanics feel great. It's like they have the bones of a truly great game, but it's not really built around a good game mode. That's the piece I think is missing.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I'm mainly interested in CoD campaigns and don't spend a lot of time with MP. I usually play a bit of death match for aiming practice, but I don't spend too much time with it. I remember being kind of addicted to OG CoD MW back in the day because it felt fresh and new. But now it feels like the same old game every year. The new modes they add (e.g. BR, ground war, etc.) just feel like copies from other games that pull them off way better.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of my big issues with cod (among many) is that it doesn't feel like it learns from itself. It constantly feels like 2 steps forward. 3 steps back. Like they will solve an issue one year and then next year or the year after its back again. And this is all over the place. For me this is where that stagnation feel starts to come in. Because its like why is this even an issue anymore. I'll take one specific example. Killstreaks/point streak.Between how Modern Warfare 3 handled this system and Blops 2, this should be like a completely solved thing. But in latest version its back to the old system of killstreaks only. And you have to take a perk if you want the point system. It shouldn't be that way. There should feel like this constant evolution towards whatever the best idea has been in cod but nope. It feels like every year, the devs change it just for the sake of the game feeling "new". It's like the lessons learned from the past don't stick.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to like Seige but I personally found the community ugly the last few times I played it. (It's been a couple of years)

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I think one of my big issues with cod (among many) is that it doesn't feel like it learns from itself. It constantly feels like 2 steps forward. 3 steps back. Like they will solve an issue one year and then next year or the year after its back again. And this is all over the place. For me this is where that stagnation feel starts to come in. Because its like why is this even an issue anymore. I'll take one specific example. Killstreaks/point streak.Between how Modern Warfare 3 handled this system and Blops 2, this should be like a completely solved thing. But in latest version its back to the old system of killstreaks only. And you have to take a perk if you want the point system. It shouldn't be that way. There should feel like this constant evolution towards whatever the best idea has been in cod but nope. It feels like every year, the devs change it just for the sake of the game feeling "new". It's like the lessons learned from the past don't stick.
It feels like all annual franchises have this issue, sports games in particular. CoD multiplayer should just be spawned off into its own live service that builds towards the best version it can be. They can still come out with their annualized game, and release a more fleshed out campaign with a story arc that spans multiple games.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, this is the most baffling thing about MW2019. MW1 and MW2 had a series of balance issues while still being fun, issues Infinity Ward themselves and other devs also solved. Ghost not favouring camping anymore, pointstreaks rewardind objective playing, explosives not working at the start, spawn flipping, map designs where you can't really get spawntrapped, the slow rollout of lethal traps like claymores and bouncing betties, shotguns not killing from across the map, higher TTK to allow fighting back... everything gone in favour of an old school experience. I'm happy to lose the unicorn vomit colour scheme (I didn't mind it but I know many loathed it), but losing years of QOL changes and balancing is absurd.

Imagine if FIFA suddenly eliminated 12 years of evolutions in an attempt to please old school fans, completely destroying new tactical options, advanced movements and whatnot. Imagine if Forza Horizon removed offroading or proper co-op because people were craving for that original experience. Imagine if Age Of Empires 4 had the horrible AI pathing of the first game. Going back to the basics, if you're a smart dev, means eliminating the game's old issues while recapturing what people loved about that experience. Nostalgia is one hell of an unbeatable benchmark, but a lot of games managed to develop old school games with modern balancing and gameplay changes that make it feel like something newer. This game simply threw out the window everything a decade of COD brought: the good and the bad alike. And seeing horrible spawns and camping being the only viable strategy in a COD in 2019 is really a shame. This series evolved from that, and now we're back to that.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I really want to like Seige but I personally found the community ugly the last few times I played it. (It's been a couple of years)
The community is fucking awful. If you want to get called a cocksucker for failing to clutch a 3v1 then this is the game for you. I would love a slower more strategic multiplayer shooter but siege sure as fuck isn't it.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I agree that they tried to do many things at once and the meta is dead stupid right now (it fits great with my playstyle but yea, it sucks), BUT S&D and gunfight are still pretty fun. I love gunfight actually, it's still fast-paced but it's pretty tactical.

I actually think the biggest problem is the map design. They just released a new map that goes back to the classic three-lane system and it's pretty awesome because you can't really just camp a corner forever, it's easy to flank or nade people out of places.

Hoping they fix the game in the following months since this is my first cod since MW2