• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the second most iconic pokemon?

• Charizard

Votes: 1,407 65.7%
  • Mewtwo

Votes: 233 10.9%
  • Meowth

Votes: 60 2.8%
  • Lucario

Votes: 18 0.8%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 206 9.6%
  • Blastoise

Votes: 12 0.6%
  • Eeevee

Votes: 204 9.5%

• Total voters

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Charizard or Squirtle, but since one is absent, well, you know.

Mewtwo is popular but if you know him then you know more Pokemon

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Charizard isnt that big anymore with the new fans, newer fans are probably attached to greninja more
Meanwhile mewtwo will always be mewtwo

Greninja is not the 2nd most iconic/recognizable, nor will he ever be lol

And yes, Mewtwo is Mewtwo, a Pokemon less iconic than Charizard.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought Squirtle based on just pure "oh hey I know that one" among people but I don't really keep up with this stuff

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Slowpoke.

4c5.jpg

Deleted member 33082

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Among the options in the poll it's clearly Charizard, but overall it's between Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Charmander.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
There is reason they went with Pokemon Pikachu and Eevee for Let's Go.

If you go to Pokemon Center, there is 35 pieces of Charizard merch, there is 135 pieces of Eevee merch.

Also, here's the Google Search Trends for Charizard vs. Eevee:

2019-05-12-4.png

I'm actually surprised, as I figured it might be Meowth. Meowth is the only talking Pokemon, and the only pokemon besides Pikachu that's been in nearly every episode of the TV series. Meowth placed well below Charizard in these same stats though.

It's funny. This board has charizard the far away leader, but it's pretty clear from the statistics, Charizard is at best a distant 3rd.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

If you go to Pokemon Center, there is 35 pieces of Charizard merch, there is 135 pieces of Eevee merch.

2019-05-12-4.png

I'm actually surprised, as I figured it might be Meowth. Meowth is the only talking Pokemon, and the only pokemon besides Pikachu that's been in nearly every episode of the TV series. Meowth placed well below Charizard in these same stats though.

It's funny. This board has charizard the far away leader, but it's pretty clear from the statistics, Charizard is at best a distant 3rd.
Like I said Charizard seems the clear choice between older fans but for newer players characters like eevee win

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

2019-05-12-4.png

I mean, that timeline starts pretty much exactly when Let's Go, Eevee was announced, of course it'd be the more common search term after that.

People are under-estimating Eevee for sure but I'd still figure the general public would recognize Charizard before Eevee.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
My thoughts as I clicked the topic were "It's either Charizard or Mewtwo", and then the first two options are Charizard or Mewtwo. It's hard to pick between them, but I suppose I'll go with Charizard, just barely.

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has never played a Pokemon game and has seen almost nothing of the show or movies, I feel I am best qualified to answer this question.

I know two of the Pokemon listed in the poll. Charizard and Mewtwo. Charizard seems to be a heavily featured one with an iconic easily recognisable design. Mewtwo I just remember being the big deal in the marketing when the movie was coming out. I feel like all in all Charizard is more recognisable and seems more heavily featured.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's timeline starts pretty much exactly when Let's Go, Eevee was announced, of course it'd be the more common search term after that.

People are under-estimating Eevee for sure but I'd still figure the general public would recognize Charizard before Eevee.

If you look up the 2004 - Now data, Eevee spiked huge (50% more searches than Pikachu, which also spiked huge) when Pokemon Go released in July 2016. Eevee has remained super popular since then. Before Pokemon Go, Eevee trends higher than Charizard 90% of the time but you are looking at like a 1 point difference most months.

2019-05-12-5.png

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah at first when I saw that search data comparison I found it suspect they only posted 12 months when thats a Pokemon Go timeline. But looking back from even 2004 Eevee remains more popular than Charizard.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
If you look up the 2004 - Now data, Eevee spiked huge (50% more searches than Pikachu, which also spiked huge) when Pokemon Go released in July 2016. Eevee has remained super popular since then. Before Pokemon Go, Eevee trends higher than Charizard 90% of the time but you are looking at like a 1 point difference most months.

2019-05-12-5.png
Wonder how much of the Eevee spike was people trying to figure out how to evolve it into the evolution they wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the poll, probably Charmander / Charizard. Though wouldn't be surprised if Jiggly Puff is close. I feel like it is in more of the marketing than Charizard so people might know it as a Pokemon without actually knowing what it's name is.

Also always got the impression that Eevee popularity was less to do with it being popular naturally and the Pokemon company trying to make a mascot out of it.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Charizard because of the anime. It was Ash's star Pokemon from the beginning all the way until the final battle against Gary at the end of Ash's Johto journey. We witness its growth from a Charmander to a Charmeleon to finally Charizard, and it took a while before it accepted and respected Ash as its trainer.

Pikachu was there to be cute, but Charizard was there to be cool. Everybody wanted a Charizard because of the anime.