• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I'm typing this from my hospital bed. And I'm experiencing such an odd mix of emotions. Gratitude and guilt in equal measure. I'm not sure there is a word for that.

Physical therapy yesterday was hard and I have a 3 month recovery ahead but my whole life has changed. I would be remiss to not thank those in this community that have been there for me on this journey. I can't thank you enough.

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
Congratulations.

giphy.gif

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
All the best bro. I read yesterday about the Modern Family actress who recently had a second transplant. She was miserable. I hope that you are doing well.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Generalizations
Congratulations! Do you have to take immunosuppressive drugs? I hope recovery is smooth for you.

4 years is such a long time. But the China thread said that's pretty typical (unfortunately) in the US and U.K., compared to 2 weeks in China where they grotesquely harvest organs from prisoners and minorities.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats op, that's great news. My bro in law is just about to be put on the list. He's just about recovered after getting his liver done.

melichrous

Self-requested temporary ban
Dec 9, 2017
Congrats!
Sister had one removed last year, and the recovery was kinda rough, but I think that's the case for all surgery really.
Just take it easy, and follow all of the instructions they give you to help the healing process along!

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats!

IIRC this isn't the first time you've had what I would call a major life change in those 4 years, just a different life change. You got this.

Oct 31, 2017
OP must be life changing.
Couple of questions though, 4yrs could you not find a live donor in that time? also what was the cause of your renal failure?

I have been told i will need a kidney transplant one day (got my labs today, eGFR was 37%)

OP
OP
FloatOn

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
OP must be life changing.
Couple of questions though, 4yrs could you not find a live donor in that time? also what was the cause of your renal failure?

I have been told i will need a kidney transplant one day (got my labs today, eGFR was 37%)

IGA nephropathy.

And I had weird feelings about soliciting people for an organ. I don't want anyone to suffer on my account.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, try to let go the guilt. That was donated by a volunteer, they'd be glad it helps someone.

And that's great! Hope recovery is easy-ish.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations! Do you have to take immunosuppressive drugs? I hope recovery is smooth for you.

4 years is such a long time. But the China thread said that's pretty typical (unfortunately) in the US and U.K., compared to 2 weeks in China where they grotesquely harvest organs from prisoners and minorities.
Uhh...I have no clue why you were banned for this. That thread is exactly the first thing I thought about going in to this one. And you're right, I knew 5yrs was average for America thanks to that thread. Also according to that thread, they do harvest organs from political prisoners and the like. So I'm not sure what's up here, maybe someone can shed some light. Maybe the mod missed that topic, maybe I'm missing something (will re-read that article shortly), who knows.

Anyways, good on you, OP! You did it in 4 years and beat the average! Have a great recovery!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh...I have no clue why you were banned for this. That thread is exactly the first thing I thought about going in to this one. And you're right, I knew 5yrs was average for America thanks to that thread. Also according to that thread, they do harvest organs from political prisoners and the like. So I'm not sure what's up here, maybe someone can shed some light. Maybe the mod missed that topic, maybe I'm missing something (will re-read that article shortly), who knows.

Anyways, good on you, OP! You did it in 4 years and beat the average! Have a great recovery!

I just got back from my ban. It was really unfair because, like you said, I was referring to this: https://vimeo.com/207039399#at=2 as mentioned, it's a documentary about the fact that China has low wait times for kidney transplants because they are harvesting them from people unethically. It's not a baseless inflammatory generalization. It's a journalistic discovery.

The moderation here is uptight about the wrong things sometimes.

Anyway, OP I'm really glad you're okay. Sorry about this derail.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats, OP!! Super happy for you :)

It's great to hear people have success with transplants.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'd like a mod to explain this ban as this is a pretty known fact and there's nothing inflammatory about it.

Take good care of that kidney op. Don't mess with your immunossupressants. There might be a day when you think "I can maybe skip this dose", don't :) I hope everything goes smoothly ;)

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad it worked out for you, but 4 years is still unacceptable.
Countries like the US really should adapt an opt-out model for organ donations like many European countries have. That would've reduced those 4 years to like 4 days.
(this critique isn't just towards the US though... specifically looking at you, Germany)

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations! I hope everything goes well for you, and you have a speedy recovery post-surgery.
Having to wait years for an organ sounds very nerve-wracking.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it worked out for you, but 4 years is still unacceptable.
Countries like the US really should adapt an opt-out model for organ donations like many European countries have. That would've reduced those 4 years to like 4 days.
(this critique isn't just towards the US though... specifically looking at you, Germany)

It would reduce the waiting time, but not as dramatically as you think you would. You're still need to find a compatible kidney and emergente/urgent cases would still get priority.