• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone was always good. I was a bit baffled by how low the review scores were.

Reviewers don't usually heavily punish a game for being a bit unoriginal, nor do they heavily punish a triple A game for being buggy. Days Gone's technical issues at launch didn't begin to approach those of Cyberpunk and reviewers were happy to give CP 9s.

Now, on PS5 (and it's free if you have PS5), the game running at 60fps at 4k literally looks as next gen as anything else on the system. If this were released as a PS5 game no one would bat an eye. It comes off pretty next gen.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks a bit generic to me, I guess I had enough of the zombie fad.

Also, I saw this clip of the game one time and the writing seems to be... yikes

Not sure about spending dozens of hours caring for these characters

That is out of context.

It is shown later in a flashback that she told Deacon she doesn't want to do the cliche biker wedding (this is a cliche phrase they use in other biker movies/series when one of them marry) but then she says it to tease the priest as a joke.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I meant with updated graphics.
Seems very unlikely since they gave it a free "up to" 4K and 60fps update just in time for the PS5 launch. If they wanted to sell you a new SKU then they probably wouldn't have done that. The game always looked great though. Really nice weather effects.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

That's the worst possible clip of the game to see and judge the game on. That would be like seeing just one clip of Ellie calling Bill a fatass in TLOU1 and assuming that is all there is. The rest of the game doesn't have like alltime great writing, but it's not bad. About the level of Tsushima imo.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Most underrated game this gen. Playing it now on PS5 and yes it has it's problems but its a really fun game to play and I'm really enjoying my time with it!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

The writing is incredibly clunky at times, especially the start but this particular moment is acutally not bad at all... its so painfully out of context it hurts

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Days Gone was always good. I was a bit baffled by how low the review scores were.

Reviewers don't usually heavily punish a game for being a bit unoriginal, nor do they heavily punish a triple A game for being buggy. Days Gone's technical issues at launch didn't begin to approach those of Cyberpunk and reviewers were happy to give CP 9s.

Now, on PS5 (and it's free if you have PS5), the game running at 60fps at 4k literally looks as next gen as anything else on the system. If this were released as a PS5 game no one would bat an eye. It comes off pretty next gen.
Let's be honest, reviewers are more than happy to buy into hype and give certain companies a pass for bugs that they won't give to others. Days Gone probably deserved its lower scores at release but it's in a really solid place now and the only big complaint I have about it is the first few hours being slow.

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Honestly the biggest surprise for me this year. I passed on it initially and wrote it off as another generic zombie game.

Looks like sleeping on it was a godsend since I'm having an absolute blast with this game. First open world game in years where i'm just fully invested - can't believe i almost skipped this entirely.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I played this game months ago on Survivor (as my first run) and that difficulty only made the game fucking drag, rather than challenging. NPC's really love to call you for new job right after you leave their camp and you are 1km away, and since fast travel is disabled on Survivor it's such a waste of time.
Another disappointing thing were lack of story missions with zombie hordes. 99% of the time you clear just handful of freaks during them.
I find the metascore about right, if not even a point higher than deserves.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly loved it when it came out. But it's way smoother now than it was. I just hope those initial "ok" reviews don't ruin it's chances of a sequel for Bend. I know it sold really well, but generally you need that 1-2 punch of commercial and critical success to guarantee sequels.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Totally. Loads of people love it so I'm not saying it should be gospel that it's a 7/10 or whatever... of course not!

And it did definitely get criticism at launch for being unpolished so you're not wrong that it's nice to see some of those rough edges in terms of performance and bugs ironed out. But I think the criticisms of the game, on the whole, went deeper than that. Gameplay loop, mission variety, insta-fail stealth sections, poor characters, being about 20 hours too long... I think if none of those biggies have fundamentally changed (and they haven't) then the reception wouldn't be that much different if it launched today instead of when it did.

Gotta give Bend credit for updating it in the ways they have though. It's obviously clicked with a good amount of people.

Gameplay loop ———> was fucking fun as hell. Especially the hordes.
mission variety ———> Never had a problem with it, myself.
insta-fail stealth sections ———> Can't think of a single example. So either there weren't that many or they weren't at all pronounced enough to matter.
poor characters ———> Which game doesn't have some shoddy characters. The overall cast were fine. I think it boils down to whether the whole biker gang thing appeals to you or not. If not I can see why you won't find the game's characters appealing.
being about 20 hours too long ———> huh? This certainly wasn't a problem for the game. Seems like more of an individual gamer problem. Every gamer values their gaming time differently, so trying to find any universal sweet spot for game length is impossible. It's entirely a subjective quality. For me, the game could have gone in for another 30hours and I still would have enjoyed it.

I think a lot of what you're seeing as core game problems are simply minor, more subjective nitpicks that, depending on what you value as a gamer, will determine whether you're able to overlook them as insignificant trifles or not.

To me, core game problems are things that can seriously get in the way of a game's enjoyment as a whole, I.e. basic level game design issues that work against what the game is actually trying to achieve. A great example is the dual primary weapon system that launched with Destiny 2 in year 1, where after having a perfect system in updated D1, Bungie inexplicably forced D2 players to have to choose between using a special weapon (e.g. shotgun, fusion or sniper rifle) or heavy weapon (e.g. grenade launcher, rocket launcher, sword) in the 3rd slot. It was simply objectively poor design, as it invalidated the choice of special weapons in a load-out entirely, because there was next to no set of circumstances where a heavy wouldn't output more DPS and so wouldn't be the obvious choice—making specials redundant.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I just got the ability to drive south into a new region of the game and feel like I've experienced the "full" gameplay loop of this title has to offer.

Do any new/interesting systems appear as the game progresses into new regions? If not, I'm thinking of moving on to play something else.

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the ability to drive south into a new region of the game and feel like I've experienced the "full" gameplay loop of this title has to offer.

Do any new/interesting systems appear as the game progresses into new regions? If not, I'm thinking of moving on to play something else.
Why? The story gets even better and wraps up nicely. Patience

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

The third camp is right when things start to pick up a lot more. There isn't anything really crazy added to the mix, but hordes become more and more of a factor.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Why? The story gets even better and wraps up nicely. Patience

I've actually found the writing and story direction to not be that great, personally. :/

Feels like the dude who plays Deacon (really like that actor) is told an emotion to carry through a scene and then just improvs his dialogue in an unfocused way.

Just feels like an actor making up dialogue in scenes as he goes. I've found the people running camps to be a bit more interesting, oddly enough.

But I guess the game doesn't explore any new systems?

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone probably deserved its lower scores at release but it's in a really solid place now and the only big complaint I have about it is the first few hours being slow.

I don't think it did deserve those scores. The game now and the game at release are fundamentally the same experience, there have been a few minor quality of life improvements but other than that....it was always in a solid place.

I was baffled why so many reviewers suddenly decided a game needed to justify its very existence.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it did deserve those scores. The game now and the game at release are fundamentally the same experience, there have been a few minor quality of life improvements but other than that....it was always in a solid place.

I was baffled why so many reviewers suddenly decided a game needed to justify its very existence.
Some people thought that it was just a way to keep Sony grounded because they were on such a roll with hit after hit.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017

This clip is even worse in context. This scene is a flashback, triggered when Deacon pulls up to the church, which is derelict but being vandalised by some gang. He murders them all for disrespecting the place he got married. Then, following the flashback, he burns the whole place to the ground. I was crying laughing with how bad it all was.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I guess it just depends on if you think a buggy release should result in lower review scores. I do, I think CP2077 shouldn't have gotten higher than 7's or 8's for the PC release, I think AC Valhalla should also have gotten lower scores for the same reason. If you don't think bugs should drop a score like that then sure, I can see the argument that Days Gone was scored too low. It was really rough on release though judging by the streams I watched.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it just depends on if you think a buggy release should result in lower review scores. I do, I think CP2077 shouldn't be getting higher than 7's or 8's for the PC release, I think AC Valhalla should also be getting lower scores for the same reason. If you don't think bugs should drop a score like that then sure, I can see the argument that Days Gone was scored too low. It was really rough on release though judging by the streams I watched.

I completely agree with you, bugs should drag a score down; but I don't recall any Days Gone reviews docking points for bugs (might be my memory though!), there seemed to be a lot more focus on complaining about "generic" and "zombies" and "ugh, open world" none of which I felt were really fair.

Mileage varies of course, but I only recall one bug from my many many hours of platinum playthrough when a horde I had almost wiped out suddenly vanished and then entirely respawned from their cave again (I collected 600 ears after that fight), other than that it seemed pretty solid technically.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
That is out of context.

It is shown later in a flashback that she told Deacon she doesn't want to do the cliche biker wedding (this is a cliche phrase they use in other biker movies/series when one of them marry) but then she says it to tease the priest as a joke.
Yes. Here's a clip of the context kaputt

Taken from this much longer video about all Sarah and Deacon flashbacks 18 minutes in.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I completely agree with you, bugs should drag a score down; but I don't recall any Days Gone reviews docking points for bugs (might be my memory though!), there seemed to be a lot more focus on complaining about "generic" and "zombies" and "ugh, open world" none of which I felt were really fair.

Mileage varies of course, but I only recall one bug from my many many hours of platinum playthrough when a horde I had almost wiped out suddenly vanished and then entirely respawned from their cave again (I collected 600 ears after that fight), other than that it seemed pretty solid technically.
Fair enough, I didn't read a lot of reviews just watched streams and the biggest complaints I heard were the slow start and bugs (plus people not digging the biker culture). Either way I've recommended the game to anyone interested in it for a while, Bend has been amazing with their support for it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay loop ———> was fucking fun as hell. Especially the hordes.
mission variety ———> Never had a problem with it, myself.
insta-fail stealth sections ———> Can't think of a single example. So either there weren't that many or they weren't at all pronounced enough to matter.
poor characters ———> Which game doesn't have some shoddy characters. The overall cast were fine. I think it boils down to whether the whole biker gang thing appeals to you or not. If not I can see why you won't find the game's characters appealing.
being about 20 hours too long ———> huh? This certainly wasn't a problem for the game. Seems like more of an individual gamer problem. Every gamer values their gaming time differently, so trying to find any universal sweet spot for game length is impossible. It's entirely a subjective quality. For me, the game could have gone in for another 30hours and I still would have enjoyed it.

I think a lot of what you're seeing as core game problems are simply minor, more subjective nitpicks that, depending on what you value as a gamer, will determine whether you're able to overlook them as insignificant trifles or not.

To me, core game problems are things that can seriously get in the way of a game's enjoyment as a whole, I.e. basic level game design issues that work against what the game is actually trying to achieve. A great example is the dual primary weapon system that launched with Destiny 2 in year 1, where after having a perfect system in updated D1, Bungie inexplicably forced D2 players to have to choose between using a special weapon (e.g. shotgun, fusion or sniper rifle) or heavy weapon (e.g. grenade launcher, rocket launcher, sword) in the 3rd slot. It was simply objectively poor design, as it invalidated the choice of special weapons in a load-out entirely, because there was next to no set of circumstances where a heavy wouldn't output more DPS and so wouldn't be the obvious choice—making specials redundant.

Christ, this was an old post to get quoted (it's from February!)

Made weirder by the fact that I installed and picked Days Gone back up today for the first time since like May 2019.

Very spooky.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Christ, this was an old post to get quoted (it's from February!)

Made weirder by the fact that I installed and picked Days Gone back up today for the first time since like May 2019.

Very spooky.
giphy.webp

Luchsius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The characters are just the worst. I rather endure the FF 13 cast again than to sit threw another dialog between the main character and his brother...

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to turn off the mini-map at all? Is it tied to difficulty level or something?

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the game will have updated graphics.

The game looks fantastic at 4k/60fps, i'm happy with this free update.

Was it even an update for PS5 or did they have a 60fps option for PS4 Pro but the game never really got there, like Infamous Second Son which also runs at 60 on PS5 but hovered around mid 40's on last gen.

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017
Finished it a few weeks ago. One of my fave games of the last few years. Loved every part of it.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I've been playing this for the last week and a half or so, and I'm not sure why but it is compelling. For reference of why I'm not exactly in love with it I don't usually like open world games, I'm not very good at action/shooter type games, and I'm not a big fan of horror or stealth games because the suspense gets me all flustered and I tend to make mistakes.

Anyway the game is just too damn big is my biggest problem, because I'm trying to push on but I think I'm about 20 hours in and only done a couple of missions for the second camp. I have encountered a couple of small-ish hordes and can't even begin to fathom how to tackle them, maybe because I'm only level 7 and haven't got any camps to level 2 yet. Thankfully I've started to move a bit faster and not worry about dying as much, whereas early on I was sneaking everywhere extremely slowly. I'm only on medium difficulty but I might end up lowering even that lol...

Had a fun bug last night, too. Got trapped while searching some footprints and ended up "jailed" with Deacon saying he needed to find his stuff. I killed my captors and couldn't find my stuff, went down to the cot to sleep because it was getting dark and I hate the night, and when I woke up my makeshift prison and the case I was supposed to apparently notice with all my shit were gone. Restarting my PS5 gave me my binoculars back but everything else was gone.

Anyway, having fun, hoping to get more into it because I've read a lot of people in this thread mention how powerful you feel by the end, so I'm assuming once I get traps and better weapons it'll get easier. Oh yeah, I also forgot until last night you can focus while shooting 🤦‍♂️

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Wait, what? Gyro support? I just finished it yesterday (rushed to play it before it left the PSNow Catalogue) and I didn't see this in the options. Would be the first time I would ever try it :( I already deleted the game so can't even go back to try it...

As for the game itself, I couldnt care less about new game +, challenges, side missions, etc, I enjoyed the main story quite a lot (starts slow, gets better, then prolongs itself a bit too much) and the gameplay is great. Riding a bike was never so good, in fact for the most part I avoided clearing nests and using fast travel because riding was just great (plus the difference that weather and surface makes are cool).

Story started meehhhh, I didnt give a shit about Boozer and the first few people you meet, then after the third camp there were some really nice characters, the story picks up, some fun missions... I'd give this game a well deserved 8.5/10. Some things clearly dont have the 'Naughty Dog seal of attention to detail', but in general the game does well in everything: graphics, audio, responsiveness, story.

Load times are decent but sometimes I just got pissed that they faded to a loading screen the immediately faded back to the game, felt like they either didnt have the time/money to make a seamless transition from cinematic to gameplay or they just couldnt implement it in the engine (maybe because it is an open world? Idk).