• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have just gotten to the final boss of Dark Souls 3 and I'm debating if buying both the DLC campaigns for Dark Souls 3 are worth it. Its weird after not enjoying Dark Souls 2 and not wanting to run through the remaster of DS1 I've been really enjoying Dark Souls 3. So much so I'm debating now whether its worth it to get the DLC though I've heard mixed things about the Ashes Ariandel in that it doesn't have a lot of content and the story and setting aren't great but have heard better things about The Ringed City. Is it worth picking up both?

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
The first one has the best boss in the game and the second has a lot of interesting story stuff. They are so intertwined you should just get both. I never skip them on a playthrough, whereas I usually skip dlcs.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I just played and beat them for the first time last week.

Ashes is kinda fun but really short and simple.

Ringed City feels like they put more effort into it and was a lot of fun.

If you want more Dark Souls 3 get both, it's more of the same sort of gameplay.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If you liked the base game I cant imagine disliking the DLCs

GonzoCR

Oct 28, 2017
I would say as a stand-alone product Ashes isn't worth it in terms of content. But both DLCs together are absolutely worth playing imo.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I've just finished going through them for the first time, actually. I'll definitely say that the first area in the Ringed City (Dreg Heap) is pretty terrible in my opinion. However, overall I'd say I've definitely found enjoyment out of both. Boss fights and some interesting lore are the selling points, for me.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Ashes of Ariandel has my favorite boss fight in the series and I'd put The Ringed City up there with any other content in the series. It's such an absolute no brainer if you want more Dark Souls.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The DLC is the best content in the game. And the game was already fantastic.

I think you need to stop paying attention to these people who have bad opinions.

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly people didn't seem to care for the first one and said it lacked content and wasn't the most interesting looking setting.

Ashes of Ariandel is incredible. It was just that it was off the back of the Old Hunters (which was really 2 DLCs combined into one). The Ringed City is also excellent and a great farewell to the series.

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
definitely worth it! specially for the Ringed City, and Ashes of Ariandel besides being short has a particular boss fight that is fire.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Mostly people didn't seem to care for the first one and said it lacked content and wasn't the most interesting looking setting.
it depends on whether you're looking for quality or quantity i guess

ashes of ariandel only has one real boss. but it's very good. and the level design is excellent as well

the ringed city has both quality and quantity with four great boss battles

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Definitely worth it. It really does have one of FROM's best ever boss fights and the few new zones are really great too

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They are both excellent and absolutely should be played. I feel like they went kinda overboard with the boss HP in The Ringed City but it is still fantastic nonetheless.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only issue folk had was the first DLC being a tad short. Since both are out now and can be played back to back, it's not much of an issue anymore.

The DLC of From games are their best content. One of the few devs that can actually deliver an experience that is better than an already amazing game. The same applies with DS3.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I had a great time with both dlcs, absolutely get them and play one after the other (Ariendel first).

Also google how to get to nameless king if you missed it, it's whole area a lot of people easily miss in the base game. It was like as if I got a small free DLC when I found out I missed it and went back for it haha.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
People loved the ring city. I believe people complaibed about the first dlc because it was only 3-4 hours long but I thought it was fantastic otherwise. The Painted World of Ariandel is one of my personal favorite areas in the franchise. The main boss is incredible.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with both dlcs, absolutely get them and play one after the other (Ariendel first).

Also google how to get to nameless king if you missed it, it's whole area a lot of people easily miss in the base game.

I just took out the Nameless King actually and was the reason why I was looking into the DLCs which both seem geared for endgame characters.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
They're both great. I'd say Ashes is a bit weaker (but with the best boss in the game), but they're both an excellent time.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
there is one thing that some people dislike about the boss in ashes of ariandel, though it doesn't bother me at all. it's a thing that happened in the main game as well that bothered some people

it has multiple phases, with separate health bars

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm surprised there are mixed opinions. Ringed City is fantastic, although I'm not a fan of Midir. Ashes of Ariendel is really good too, although I adore Sister Friede which helps my impression of the DLC.

If you like Dark Souls 3, 100% the DLC is worth it and, imo, practically essential.

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
The first DLC has one of my favorite boss fights in the entire franchise, but it's otherwise just an OK piece of DLC. It's still worth it for that fight though. Second DLC is overall more interesting and has another one of my favorite boss fights.