• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I highly recommend John's of Bleecker Street. It's the only NYC pizza I've had, but I have a hard time imagining it could get any better.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
All pizza is good pizza.

0lBHZ1J.gif

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get this out there. Pizza that isn't made by my own hands isn't pizza worth eating. I'm sure this is a me issue, but my evidence is based purely on my own subjective tastes.

Evidence
2-D4-C38-AA-2-CD4-4-CAA-925-E-FAE9615-C0260.jpg
8-E4471-DE-0682-4180-A5-F0-4-BBCD0305-AB9.jpg
704-D0746-A8-B1-44-D1-A023-C14-B6-DE8-B6-CD.jpg

Sourdough base Detroit/Sicilian style with San Marzano tomatoes reduced with a simple dehydrated crimini mushroom (extra umami) and pepperoni. I make my own pepperoni as well, trying to perfect cupping pepperoni. Mean veggie is a garlic based sauce pizza with long red hawt chilies and jalapeños. My cheese blend is a mix of cheddar, whole milk mozzarella, and jack.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the border was open, they could also try Windsor-style pizza. It's a thing (and it's amazing).
As a michigander i've never heard of this and am intrigued... guess once covid goes away i'll try this.
Oh and all pizza types are good. (just not from some certain chains... )

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
That "Chicago" pizza doesn't even look like a Chicago pizza. It's closer to what's Wisconsin or Minnesotan style. That sure isn't St. Louis style because that's typically way flatter than what's in the picture.

Like it looks way closer to Red's Savoy here in MN

34408e78-6e78-44b7-a2d6-96a4d3e0dd95.jpg

Just a cracker thin crust, party cut, overflowing with toppings and well done extra crisp. I guess it's really just a "Midwestern" style pizza at this point.

That first picture looks about as boring as you could get with a pizza.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Opened the thread to ctrl-F Pequod's, and adding in two more Pequod's for the next person who does the same lol

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This is an insufficient sample size and I demand you experiment more

I agree though

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Let me tell you people that I know good fucking pizza. I like NYC pizza a lot. And Chicago. I'm from Houston. Had pizza in Atlanta. Also pizza in Venice, Florence, and Rome. And various European countries. And China! I really like trying pizza in all kinds of places.

I just moved to Seattle and I just want to give it a shout out. It's a lovely pizza town! I've had different styles of pizza from 5 different pizza restaurants and sincerely enjoyed it at each. I never thought of Seattle as being a place with good pizza but it does! Of course it's not NYC or Chicago but it's surprisingly good!

Also I'm sorry but NYC pizza is my personal best :o

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lived outside of Chicago for almost 2 years now, NY pizza still the best for me as well.

Even though I order Lou Mals every other week

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Double dough is the best. It's basically standard here in Buffalo and I'll take it over thin crust any day.

As for Chicago, Detroit does deep dish way better.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, some of y'all. I always rep NY and love our pizza, but y'all disrespecting amazing deep dish pizza, as if Pequod's doesn't exist.

smh.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Last year I traveled to NYC and ate my first pizza there in some fancy ass place that cost me more than $30 for the entire thing.

Then I tried some $1 places near my hostel and figured out it's just fucking pizza and it's all delicious, no point spending that much money.
IIRC 2 bros pizza was my favorite, they had amazing slices and also relatively cheap.
(Haven't been to Chicago so can't compare though)

Oct 27, 2017
Last year I traveled to NYC and ate my first pizza there in some fancy ass place that cost me more than $30 for the entire thing.

Then I tried some $1 places near my hostel and figured out it's just fucking pizza and it's all delicious, no point spending that much money.
IIRC 2 bros pizza was my favorite, they had amazing slices and also relatively cheap.
(Haven't been to Chicago so can't compare though)
Ayeee 2Bros is what's up. They're the go-to dollar pizza chain in mid town manhattan.

They're really hit or miss based on which location you stop by (and even by time of day). Sometimes they will give you an amazing slice, and sometimes its a hot mess.

If you're comfortable enough, and you can see that you're about to get an burnt/undercooked slice, you can def just ask for a different slice.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I thought Chicago was known for its deep dish?

It's like how Chicago is known for The Loop and the big ass bean ... it's there for tourist but people who live there know a whole different Chicago.

Party cut is the staple. I've never been to the place the op went but I'd say they shoulda tried the best if the difference was that small. Lou Malnati ...

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Deep dish is what tourists know Chicago for. If you live in Chicago and someone wants to order pizza, its thin crust and cut into squares.
Came in here to say this lol

As a Chicagoan living in Texas, it is pretty funny when I have a pizza discussion with a buddy and their automatic go-to argument is about stuffed pizza.

Most mom and pop pizzerias you see in every corner of Chicago sell thin pizza, cut in squares. But not paper thin like that new york garbage, it needs to at least stay in tact when i pick up a slice lol

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I have to laugh when saying you at Chicago Pizza and then went flat.

I think both styles are good...but NY always wins that battle.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that has no horse in the race and never had been to NY or Chicago, Detroit looks the best. Those crispy borders look too damn good.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Thin crust tavern you what now?

There aren't any pics of a Chicago style pizza in OPs post.

Thats just a regular pizza cut into squares.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Pizza cut into squarss is an abomination.

I want a bit of each part of the pizza, crust to center.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I thought Chicago was known for its deep dish?
Deep Dish Pizza is interesting because the only time Chicagoans ever order it is when people from out of town come in and want to try deep dish pizza. There's like 1,000 pizza places here anyways that do everything excellent (NY style, New Haven style, Detroit style, Grandma, Stuffed Pizza, Wood Fire, Calzones, etc.), but actual "Chicago" style pizza is tavern style. I just think that OP messed up by going to Pat's. Should've gone to Vito & Nick's. (Pat's is still legit though)

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
As a michigander i've never heard of this and am intrigued... guess once covid goes away i'll try this.
Oh and all pizza types are good. (just not from some certain chains... )
It's a thing. And it's so good.

Here's some reading, and here's some more.

Personal favourites include Armando's and Cheese Wheelz, but there's Capri, Riviera, Vito's, Windsor Pizza, and many others. All local chains, some with a dozen or more locations in Windsor and the surrounding county.