• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
87px-MKT_Artwork_Mario_Musician.png
67px-MKT_Artwork_MarioHakama.png
86px-MKT_Artwork_MarioSanta.png
94px-MKT_Artwork_MarioHappi.png
91px-MKT_Artwork_IceMario.png
93px-MKT_Artwork_PenguinLuigi.png
65px-MKT_Artwork_PeachKimono.png
53px-MKT_Artwork_PeachVacation.png
46px-MKT_Artwork_PeachWintertime.png
71px-MKT_Artwork_DaisyHolidayCheer.png
70px-MKT_Artwork_RosalinaHalloween.png
77px-MKT_Artwork_RosalinaAurora.png
71px-MKT_Artwork_PaulinePartyTime.png
116px-MKT_Artwork_WarioHiker.png
56px-MKT_Artwork_WaluigiBusDriver.png
72px-MKT_Artwork_YoshiReindeer.png
82px-MKT_Artwork_ToadPitCrew.png
83px-MKT_Artwork_ToadPartyTime.png
120px-MKT_Artwork_BabyPeachCherub.png
87px-MKT_Artwork_RedKoopaFreerunning.png
87px-MKT_Artwork_GoldKoopaFreerunning.png
101px-MKT_Artwork_ShyGuyPastryChef.png
103px-MKT_Artwork_KingBooLuigisMansion.png

This is Mario Kart Tour's line up of alternate characters so far. And after this variety, I can't go back. They need to embrace this aspect of the game with the next mainline instalment, and keep on adding costumes in updates to go alongside holidays, game releases etc.
I will say though, they need to not treat each costume as it's own character like Tour does, as watching 8 different Mario's race is not something I want to see.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I agree! I've been seeing all these costumes come out for Mario Kart Tour and just wishing they'll come to a console Mario Kart at some point. They're genuinely awesome.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Next Mario Kart has high chances to be GaaS indeed, and I agree it needs more customization.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say though, they need to not treat each costume as it's own character like Tour does, as watching 8 different Mario's race is not something I want to see.
not only that, i hope in 9 some of the roster is cut down and instead presented as alt costumes. stuff like cat/metal/gold variants shouldn't take a whole spot in the roster by themselves.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
as you said, as long they don't take slots as their own playable racers, sure...

also, Luigi's Mansion version of King Boo should be the default version >:T

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's a given. We are probably only getting one new MK console game this decade and it will be a GaaS.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
not only that, i hope in 9 some of the roster is cut down and instead presented as alt costumes. stuff like cat/metal/gold variants shouldn't take a whole spot in the roster by themselves.
Yeah, there's no reason for stuff like Tanooki Mario to be a separate character.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why MK8 on Switch didn't receive any kind of DLC, cosmetic or otherwise. Or why all the cosmetic DLC of Smash are costumes for Mii instead of costumes for characters.
I suppose the answer is "Nintendo.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I want right now for mario kart 8D it's DLC

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want Mario Kart 9. We already have a bestselling Mario Kart on the platform.

I want Super Smash Kart. I think it's time.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's no reason for stuff like Tanooki Mario to be a separate character.
Pads out the roster, there are 14 extremely obvious candidates for alt costume status in MK8D (and that isn't even including the garbage babies), remove all that filler and you see how bare the roster actually is, how few iconic Mario characters are actually there.

The problem is that MK8D is showing its age (not visually), it's a 6 year old game and yet it'll almost certainly be the only MK on the market until Nintendo's next hardware. But the kart racing genre has made big steps in the last year with CTR and TSR, and with Smash going all in on the "everyone is here" aspect the lack of single player content, boring roster and low amount of customisation along with no ongoing updates or support doesn't hold up.

If MK8D really is going to be stretched out for another 3-4 years then it really, REALLY should be getting a refresh and updates. But why bother? They have a polished product that'll sell consistently well no matter what to new Switch owners, unlike other kart racers MK can sell on the brand alone.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I like costumes, but admit the concept gets my hackles up a little bit, as I don't like costumes as an mtx GaaS bonanza.

The concept itself is great, but I really hope MK9 isn't one big never-ending Eshop (like MKT). Keep this stuff cosmetic only and unlockable through gameplay on a very fair and reasonable basic, or maybe allow for a season pass (that's discreetly sold out of the game that insta-unlocks stuff if people want to pay more), or a "gold" version of the game that lets you pay a little more. Generally Nintendo has been good about this stuff on the console side of their business, and no reason yet to doubt them, but I'm always watching for the other shoe to drop, changing times and all.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naw, it needs to go all in on Nintendo franchises and take a leaf out of Smash's book. Mario Kart shouldn't be tethered to just the Mario universe anymore.

I want to race against Mario as Kirby on a warp star, or as Fox in an arwing, etc. This is long overdue.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, I hope the next Mario Kart adds more exciting and fun progression. It'd add a lot if something as simple as costumes and cosmetics were added into replaying Grand Prix and such, incentive to keep playing and added longevity beyond just going for 3 Gold Stars on every circuit.

Bring back the mission mode from DS too.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another thing they need to do is drop the stats for kart parts. Just have some racing styles (Speed, Acceleration, Balance, Drift etc) like CTR does and let people customise their vehicle and character however they like for visual appeal.

If they don't, expect to see Clown Suits and Clown Karts as people just pick the most optimal Character/Kart piece combos to race in all the time, despite how ugly looking it is. (This also doubles customization time in the menus for local play as people try to pick the kart parts that look good and also have their ideal stats as well)

Also

103px-MKT_Artwork_KingBooLuigisMansion.png

This should just be the King Boo default now. C'mon, after three super successful Luigi Mansion games now, I think people know about this take on the character. And don't tell me the reason they don't have it would be that it'll scare the kids when we've had the Living Skeleton of Bowser playable in the last few Mario Karts now.

OP
OP
Benzychenz

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I don't want Mario Kart 9. We already have a bestselling Mario Kart on the platform.

Naw, it needs to go all in on Nintendo franchises and take a leaf out of Smash's book. Mario Kart shouldn't be tethered to just the Mario universe anymore.

I want to race against Mario as Kirby on a warp star, or as Fox in an arwing, etc. This is long overdue.
No thanks. A couple guest character like in 8 is fine, but Mario Kart should stay Mario Kart. There's tons of great characters they can still add.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Aurora Rosalina and Chef Shy Guy are incredible.

But knowing Nintendo, it'll be just like in Tour where they're separate characters and not just a customizable feature like in CTR, as it should be.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
There are so many types of costumes even within the actual games that they could use.

- Wario's various outfits, from standard to his Wario 3 hats, Wario Ware designs, Wario Man. Even ones based on his color scheme in Wario Land 3, etc.
- Mario 3 costumes - Tanooki, Raccoon, Frog, Hammer Bros
- Even Character wise, you could easily have characters like Boos and Koopas be Bow and Loops from Paper Mario, etc.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm all for costumes, but after playing Mk8 and CTR NF, I kinda wish MK would go back to preset vehicles. I don't mind custom karts, but their preset stuff was always rrally good, while on MK8 all I can remember at this moment in time is the Wiggler kart.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I mean, I think most people expect it to include more Nintendo characters, given the MK8 DLC, at the very least.

But "Mario Kart 9" is just kind of the easy go-to name for a game that likely won't exist until Switch 2.

But I agree. It's time for Smash Kart.

No thanks. A couple guest character like in 8 is fine, but Mario Kart should stay Mario Kart. There's tons of great characters they can still add.

You have eight mainline Mario Kart titles, a mobile game and two arcade games released over the past three decades that are almost exclusively Mario characters.

Nintendo was clearly testing the waters with the MK8 DLC so you will almost certainly want to brace yourself for MK9 (or whatever it is) including even more from the start.

It's time for Smash Kart. I want more Nintendo characters and guest characters and tracks that take place in worlds belonging to Splatoon, Kirby, etc. TGhe MK8 DLC showed how incredible this can be.

On top of that, there's no real reason they would need to drop any Mario characters and no reason they can't add more. The game doesn't need character balancing like a fighting game such as Smash. There is no reason the roster can't be absolutely massive.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo would probably want to do it if they could implement loot boxes but i doubt they want the backlash.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah, I think Nintendo knows that people love unlocking the outfits and having them as free DLC after release so I'm sure they'll be in the next one.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely! CTR's costumes are amazing. I would love to see Mario Kart get more costumes.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Ignoring Diddy Kong and Birdo who somehow missed 8, and not counting characters that were introduced already in Tour (like Pauline and Nabbit) we can also add.

- Kamek
- Poochie
- Cappy
- Professor E. Gadd
- Polterpup
- Boom Boom
- Pom Pom
- Chain Chomp
- Wart
- Tatanga

I'll even throw in Prince Peasley, Ms. Mowz, Fawful and Dimentio who would be great additions and would be cool to see in 3D for the first time ever. But for some reason the RPGs always keep getting overlooked.

nintendo would probably want to do it if they could implement loot boxes but i doubt they want the backlash.

I mean they already went Full Gacha with a battle pass on Mario Kart Tour...

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring Diddy Kong and Birdo who somehow missed 8, and not counting characters that were introduced already in Tour (like Pauline and Nabbit) we can also add.

- Kamek
- Poochie
- Cappy
- Professor E. Gadd
- Polterpup
- Boom Boom
- Pom Pom
- Chain Chomp
- Wart
- Tatanga

I'll even throw in Prince Peasley, Ms. Mowz, Fawful and Dimentio who would be great additions and would be cool to see in 3D for the first time ever. But for some reason the RPGs always keep getting overlooked.

I mean they already went Full Gacha with a battle pass on Mario Kart Tour...
I've bolded the only ones there that I'd deem as worthy of being characters in Mario Kart.

And let's be honest, half the roster in Mario Kart 8 are so uninspired and lame. I don't know, I guess I just can't help but imagine how cool it'd be to see "Nintendo Kart" and it makes me look at all of these Mario characters with a bit of "meh". They're great in bite-sized appearances across Mario games, but to be characters in Mario Kart? It starts to feel like those B-tier kart games where you look at the roster thinking "if only these characters had as much panache as the Mario Kart roster does".

OP
OP
Benzychenz

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia

- Kamek
- Poochie
- Cappy
- Professor E. Gadd
- Polterpup
- Boom Boom
- Pom Pom
- Chain Chomp
- Wart
- Tatanga

You didn't even list my most wanted characters! King Bob-Omb and Chargin Chuck.

And also just a correction, Nabbit isn't in Tour, so is still yet to make a Kart debut.