• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely sure if this is the community update they were talking about but this was posted not too long ago.

I did not post this because they specifically mentioned this is not associated with the server depicted in the OP.

What the Twitter post shows is a different party trying a different angle to try and get the game back.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ETA on when next update will drop. I'm not adding this to the OP or as a Threadmark, just posting it to relay extra info.

UqJrLHI.jpg

Hope it's something good. I'd really love to jump back into this. It's up there with Ultima Online for me in terms of MMOs I loved.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Pisses me off so bad. NCSOFT ended the game, why do they even care? they wouldn't let anyone buy it, wouldn't even let the servers stay live on "low maintenance" or whatever all to try to force folks to play their other shitty games that no one ended up playing anyhow. Fuck them.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So the core fans/community not in the secret server clique don't matter?
if by don't matter you mean don't get to play anything when everything gets told to go dark? Then yes, that's exactly precisely what the fuck it means. The core fans and community that acted like they had hammers for brains and helped get the servers all shut down so that no body can play don't matter. They could have mattered, yes. They very well could have played a role in making it so widespread that the companies would be afraid to shut them down, and achieved their goal, but now I leave it to you to ask them.

Pisses me off so bad. NCSOFT ended the game, why do they even care? they wouldn't let anyone buy it, wouldn't even let the servers stay live on "low maintenance" or whatever all to try to force folks to play their other shitty games that no one ended up playing anyhow. Fuck them.
probably some top secret, basement level 13 plan for a new Heroes game in under 10 years, and legal + corporate thinks that competition from the OG community might hurt their future business model. They want their fans to be starving for new Heroes, not fat and happy.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sooooooooooooo, no change in current status.

No change, and they have further clarified that the third party is indeed from the Twitter posted above that they went out of their way earlier to mention was not related to them at all.

This has created a great deal of confusion in the Discord leading to a lot of backlash that isn't pretty to look at.

Oct 25, 2017
So why exactly is it an issue for this game but something like Star Wars Galaxies doesn't seem to be an issue despite there actually being a game in direct competition to it.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty close to all the happenings here, and just as a warning I wouldn't trust TonyV or Innocuous on ANYTHING they say. Especially not Innocuous, who's a transphobic, violent asshole who promotes killing immigrants.

They both say whatever they can to maintain popularity, and neither actually knows as much as they claim about what's going on.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was revealed to be a troll pretending to be from NCSoft.

There are numerous updates within that article, and I've seen varying reports ranging from troll scaring the person hosting servers, the person deciding the costs were too high and cut all their losses, etc. At this point it's quite a bit of speculation, but one thing that seems to be clear is that NCSoft was not involved in the server going down and getting wiped.

Another piece of information that has just been revealed is the source code has been successfully built and the developers have gotten characters created and running around in game. There are still bugs and optimizations to be done preventing them from deploying so they aren't giving an exact time frame, but they're continuing on their efforts of bringing back the private server and that's their priority.

I'm on mobile so I'll update the thread with the appropriate information in a little bit.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty close to all the happenings here, and just as a warning I wouldn't trust TonyV or Innocuous on ANYTHING they say. Especially not Innocuous, who's a transphobic, violent asshole who promotes killing immigrants.

Not just Innocuous, it's also been very disappointing to see that the CoH subreddit is in fact a subreddit, and a lot of people there have been showing their asses with regards to Innocuous and his transphobic comments.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not just Innocuous, it's also been very disappointing to see that the CoH subreddit is in fact a subreddit, and a lot of people there have been showing their asses with regards to Innocuous and his transphobic comments.

Yep. This was the worst so far from him, though:

image0.png

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I spoke to Innocuous on another site not too long ago. Sad to see they have such gross ass views. Ugh.

I just wanna play City of Heroes again...

Latest update we have from someone on the administrator team.
OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
4xJ5Ofg.png

While I don't mind you guys talking about the questionable decisions and opinions of the previous head administrator, I'd like to avoid the drama the subreddit went through as that is not the point of this thread. I'm simply here to update anyone interested in the state of the server and when we can possibly play again, and that only.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4xJ5Ofg.png

While I don't mind you guys talking about the questionable decisions and opinions of the previous head administrator, I'd like to avoid the drama the subreddit went through as that is not the point of this thread. I'm simply here to update anyone interested in the state of the server and when we can possibly play again, and that only.

Oh thats wonderful. Sad that we may have to go back a server but thats pretty cool.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
before anybody keeps on the "Fuck NCsoft" train... try to step from under the Naive lights you are blinding yourself with and understand this..

The second this story broke out, this was going to happen. It's not a matter of "well they could be good guys and try to talk and work things out" that's not how this works. They don't just "want" to act... they have to. Legally there are literally obligations to be met that lead to DMCA and any other legal action and pursuit... it's not an option. They have to.

"surely they can opt not to"

Yeah, and immediately lose the rights of whatever they don't fight for in return. Which... mind you... as soon as the story broke out, it was (and still kinda is) somewhat uncertain what "it" is completely. How much code, how much data, how much proprietary material...

So, shoot first, ask questions later. It was always coming down to this ever since we first learn of it, there was never another road but this.

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing a lot of anger towards NCSoft, understandably. But the way I understand copyright law, is that companies have to combat any use of their IP by others, otherwise that can be used against them in later cases involving that IP.

So even if they don't currently have plans to resurrect CoH, they're 'forced' to do this to protect possible future revenue. To expect any business to act out of the kindness of their heart if it may go against their interests is a road to disappointment I'm afraid.

Edit: also see Araujo's post above.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UGH. I was cheering on the development team until I saw your posts. Now I am hoping that NCSoft shuts them down.

Please do not throw the entire development team under the bus that has been doing great work and voluntarily giving their time for this project, due to the opinion of one person who was not involved in the actual development/coding of the server. This is an incredibly knee-jerk response and is the kind of thing I'd like to avoid this thread turning into.

As for another side update and why this may take a bit longer than the original weekend server:
7noiuB4.png

Jun 1, 2018
So there are 2 groups right now... one independent that is working on bringing a server online regardless of talks and the other group including tony and leo that were gaslighting the community and telling them a private server is not possible even though they had one and were pretending to have talks with NCSoft are writing the same stuff again lol hope this time the community wont believe them:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
People getting Trademarks and Copyrights mixed up here. Trademarks (the Nike swirl, the Olympic rings, the Coca-Cola logo, for example) must be defended vigorously because their rights come from usage and do not expire. Copyrights do not need a positive defense because they are fixed for the duration of the copyright term.

Most of what the private server infringes is copyright, specifically the source code, graphics, music and other assets. There is still a live trademark in the database for the City of Heroes name and logo, but that's all.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not throw the entire development team under the bus that has been doing great work and voluntarily giving their time for this project, due to the opinion of one person who was not involved in the actual development/coding of the server. This is an incredibly knee-jerk response and is the kind of thing I'd like to avoid this thread turning into.

As for another side update and why this may take a bit longer than the original weekend server:
7noiuB4.png
If they didn't want to be associated with the dude they could simply not. "Not everyone is a transphobic loser" is a poor defense when they clearly allow him to be like that..

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

7noiuB4.png

I apologize for hijacking the thread. But this is definitely a topic worth getting into.

They lead the project and represent the rest of the dev team. They had the ability to consign people into the group. And they abused that power to reject people for being transgender, as Megasoum showed. That is simply unacceptable.

The rest of the dev team has to figure out how to deal with them. They can't stay with the team, let alone keep their administrative role.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they didn't want to be associated with the dude they could simply not. "Not everyone is a transphobic loser" is a poor defense when they clearly allow him to be like that..
I apologize for hijacking the thread. But this is definitely a topic worth getting into.

They lead the project and represent the rest of the dev team. They had the ability to consign people into the group. And they abused that power to reject people for being transgender, as Megasoum showed. That is simply unacceptable.

The rest of the dev team has to figure out how to deal with them. They can't stay with the team, let alone keep their administrative role.

I completely understand how you feel and share the same questions of how they're still involved with the project in any capacity, but as I mentioned before, that is simply not the point of this thread. My main goal with this thread is to update the people interested in the process of getting some kind of playable City of Heroes up and running again.

Official word on why the weekend server closed down:
89RDX4M.png

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I completely understand how you feel and share the same questions of how they're still involved with the project in any capacity, but as I mentioned before, that is simply not the point of this thread. My main goal with this thread is to update the people interested in the process of getting some kind of playable City of Heroes up and running again.

Official word on why the weekend server closed down:
89RDX4M.png
Doesn't matter what your goal is friend, people who are interested in a city of heroes server (which presumably includes myself and others posting here) deserve to know what kind of trash is behind the project.

This isn't just some guy that doesn't like trans people and happens to be a dev (that would already be shitty obviously)
We're talking about someone that literally gleefully admits to abusing their power to keep a minority LGBTQ player off the server for no reason other than abject bigotry. Fuck that shit. Server deserves to burn unless they dump him.

Like, imagine if he was like "This person said they were black so I removed their access" - that's not like a small level of shitty or an ignorable level of shitty, that's 'holy fuck get rid of this douchebag' shitty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter what your goal is friend, people who are interested in a city of heroes server (which presumably includes myself and others posting here) deserve to know what kind of trash is behind the project. We're talking about someone that literally gleefully admits to abusing their power to keep a minority LGBTQ player off the server for no reason other than abject bigotry. Fuck that shit. Server deserves to burn unless they dump him.

As OP, I have absolutely zero issue with that information being in here and welcome people to see what went on with the former head administrator. But it is clear that the further the topic goes in that direction, the further the thread derails from the original purpose. At that point, I suggest creating a new thread detailing the acts and views of said person. It will reach more people than being buried in here, and will have room for a deeper conversation.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As OP, I have absolutely zero issue with that information being in here and welcome people to see what went on with the former head administrator. But it is clear that the further the topic goes in that direction, the further the thread derails from the original purpose. At that point, I suggest creating a new thread detailing the acts and views of said person. It will reach more people than being buried in here, and will have room for a deeper conversation.
It's a thread with very few people discussing it already - because the COH community is beyond small to begin with, there's a reason the game died. If you want people to see what is going on, honestly you'd edit it into the OP, and not respond to it with repeated "I agree but pls don't talk about it here" posts, which is what you're doing. It's honestly a disgrace to see this great game shat on in its post-life like this, but that's not my nor your doing and until it's fixed, the project deserves every ounce of disrespect it draws to itself.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Toxic people are called "toxic" for a reason. They infect everything they touch. Say the City of Heroes private server goes live again and is accepting new players- Would you rally want to game with a group that's aware of the incredible assholery and bigotry of this person and still says "Yep, one of us!"

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it helps, when I spoke to that person (Before knowing of their views), they outright told me they had nothing to do with the development of the game/servers.

They're just an admin for the community. It would be like boycotting a game because a forum moderator for the game is shitty.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it helps, when I spoke to that person (Before knowing of their views), they outright told me they had nothing to do with the development of the game/servers.

They're just an admin for the community. It would be like boycotting a game because a forum moderator for the game is shitty.
An admin is not a forum moderator, they are the leader of the moderator team (or at least co-leader), and if he's 'only' a moderator, then that same team is chosing not to get rid of them since they're such an inconsequential cog in the machine. Neither of those looks makes it acceptable, stop trying to handwave that shit.

It's like saying "No it's ok, the President is fine, it's only the Vice President that is a piece of shit, the President just hasn't done anything about it" - ok?

If one of the Era moderators did that shit, do you think we as a community or especially the people at the top would be ok with it and go 'whoa whoa, it's just a mod' ? They'd ban the fucker immediately, and make a well thought out post about why they did it and why they were a shitty person. Silence is deafening in this case.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An admin is not a forum moderator, they are the leader of the moderator team (or at least co-leader), and if he's 'only' a moderator, then that same team is chosing not to get rid of them since they're such an inconsequential cog in the machine. Neither of those looks makes it acceptable, stop trying to handwave that shit.

It's like saying "No it's ok, the President is fine, it's only the Vice President that is a piece of shit, the President just hasn't done anything about it" - ok?

If one of the Era moderators did that shit, do you think we as a community or especially the people at the top would be ok with it and go 'whoa whoa, it's just a mod' ? They'd ban the fucker immediately, and make a well thought out post about why they did it and why they were a shitty person. Silence is deafening in this case.

I'm not handwaving it, I just don't feel like an admin being a shitty person is grounds for me agreeing with "Good I'm glad this project failed."

I've been waiting YEARS for a chance to play this game again. The 2 hours I played before everything went to shit had me so happy. This game meant a lot to me back in the day, and I just can't agree with letting one stupid asshole dictate my enjoyment of it if it were to go come back.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a thread with very few people discussing it already - because the COH community is beyond small to begin with, there's a reason the game died. If you want people to see what is going on, honestly you'd edit it into the OP, and not respond to it with repeated "I agree but pls don't talk about it here" posts, which is what you're doing. It's honestly a disgrace to see this great game shat on in its post-life like this, but that's not my nor your doing and until it's fixed, the project deserves every ounce of disrespect it draws to itself.

I have been planning on updating the OP with said information under a spoiler tag with a summary that will reveal the images and keeping it permanently pinned at the top. I've been searching for the image that was passed around of the original conversation between both parties (which I've now found) and will add the other two images posted in here as well.

EDIT: I have added said information to the OP and plan on keeping it there, undisturbed so anyone who comes in can see it.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018
I know you all are hating on innoc but he is the one trying to pull everything together behind the scenes while the other team consisting of Leo and Tony, who have been GASLIGHTING the community for years (pretending to talk to NCSoft while they actually did not).

Why should we believe Tony this time? He has been saying for years that he is in talks with NCSoft since 2013 (with no proof). Meanwhile he was raking in money for his own MMO while knowing of Leos private server. Fool me once...

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
For some reason, I thought NCSoft had gone under a while ago and that all their IPs were in legal limbo. I had to google them to realize that they own Guild Wars. Well, I guess I learned something today.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
So it's looking like you will have to remake your accounts at https://score.savecoh.com/ and https://score.savecoh.com/account/ for this new test server. Some folks were saying their old logins from the weekend worked but mine was gone.

The main login link doesn't seem to work, either. If you click on the word "login" in the banner area, it'll take you to a secondary login page which does work properly for logins and registrations. Don't panic if you get a database error on registration, I did but it still created the account.

33VaTiL.png

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did some digging and the server up right now is based on the i25 code (shutdown City of Heroes source code + improvements the secret private server holder made to it over the years) and is not related to the Discord team server.

They're a separate community, and the person in charge of the current server is simply relaying/consulting with the Discord server admins to update anyone on things going on with the server due to many members of the Discord playing on it. They also have their own forum as linked above, and have said as much on the subreddit that they plan on all communication to be done there.

The admin team+coders in the Discord server are still pushing on getting the i24 code working and they plan on deploying their own server based off of that in the future.

TLDR: The current test server up now is not what the Discord admin team+developers are working on. The Discord admin team+developers are doing their own thing based off of older source code for the game, and plan on making it all open source when it can easily be loaded onto a server and fired up.