• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I feel like this took me a lifetime to do.

Across three characters and server changes, I climbed a bit higher every time.

The postgame was even longer than the game before it, but at least it wasn't gated as harshly concerning level requirements. The amount of times I had to grind three to four levels just to accept the next quest in ARR was mindbogglingly frustrating, especially when it was just to serve drinks at a resort or whatever.

The story did, finally, "get good" at the end, although it was slowly ramping up during the entire postgame.

So yes, I completed the 700 hours you need to get to "the good stuff." I'm about to unlock Dark Knight.

I did it. I finally did it.

Edit: I can't believe people are taking the 700 hours thing literally. NO GAME IS 700 HOURS LONG. It took a long time, not an eternity

Last edited:

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
That final stretch in the 2.X patches burned me out so much that I haven't played at all for like 3 months. I know Heavensward is supposed to be where it gets really good (and the setup for it was awesome), but damn that grind wore me out

Yolteotl

Banned
Dec 20, 2019
Even 2.0 only ask me 3 weeks ~ 70 hours to reach lv 50, what were you doing ? And 3 more to complete part 2 (before HW) 2 years after...

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to play A Realm Reborn to get to the good stuffs people keep talking about. But Jesus Christ, it takes 700 hours? I'm going to quit then.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly didn't mind ARR? The only really brutal part was all the content it forced you to do -after- ARR and before HW.

I was thinking about doing it again because its been so long since I've played, I've forgotten a lot of the story beats and more important how to play any job entirely.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
700 hours of boredom to get to the "good stuff" lol... No game is worth that.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I'm trying to play A Realm Reborn to get to the good stuffs people keep talking about. But Jesus Christ, it takes 700 hours? I'm going to quit then.
Of course not, it took me a weekend to get through ARR on a second character (skipping cutscenes).
Should take like a week at most if you just do the story and not mess with any other stuff.

You can skip the level grind OP had to do for quests if you join a preferred server that gives you bonus exp until a certain level.
Also 5.3 (the next patch) is revamping all of this to take less time.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
700 hours of boredom to get to the "good stuff" lol... No game is worth that.

Youre right. But what the OP is describing is fucking absurd and hyperbole.

The base game and post launch 2.0 quests would take about 50-80 hours if your focusing only on them. The number fluctuates depending on your reading speed and what cutscenes you decide to skip. He described having to grind levels, which under the current xp boost system and restructured quest rewards (even before the upcoming rework this summer that cuts out quests), no new player would experience as you will always be overleveled until the last expansions, especially if your on a preferred server.

The game isn't insurmountable. Each expansion is basically a 40 hour rpg in themselves, with about 10-15 hours of quests and dungeons between them, again depending on your reading speed

Last edited:

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Of course it didn't take 700 hours. The thread title clearly says it took a thousand years, which, if you do the math...

ARR was a grind, but I'm glad I got to see it all. Heavensward was great. Stormblood is really good so far (I'm like 3/4 through). Very different from Heavensward but still quite enjoyable. Probably take something like 1500 years to get to the end of Shadowbringers at your current pace, but I mean, it's not like we've got anything better to do during isolation. Have fun!

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
700 hours of boredom to get the good stuff lol... No game is worth that.
The bad parts of FFXIV are often still quite good, compared to many games. ARR was basically a giant lost opportunity brought about by 1.0's troubled development and 2.0's rushed development, but it is still fun. Somewhat less so now due to balance changes stripping out some of the gameplay elements from back then, but it is still the game that attracted loyal fans and salvaged the game after 1.0's failure. It has some good stories and fun battles, and slowly gets better as it goes on.

In other words, I'd much rather go through ARR again than replay several mainline FF games. It only really gets the reputation it does because "the good parts" are some of the best parts in the entire FF series.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Of course it didn't take 700 hours. The thread title clearly says it took a thousand years, which, if you do the math...

ARR was a grind, but I'm glad I got to see it all. Heavensward was great. Stormblood is really good so far (I'm like 3/4 through). Very different from Heavensward but still quite enjoyable. Probably take something like 1500 years to get to the end of Shadowbringers at your current pace, but I mean, it's not like we've got anything better to do during isolation. Have fun!
For what it's worth, ARR had pockets of story I found entertaining, and postgame is when it really showed its true storytelling chops. That final string of cutscenes at the end, and the slow buildup to everything that had happened before - I've never seen anything like that in an MMO before. It felt like a "real" FF game. If that continues going forward I think I finally understand what everyone means when they say FF14 has a good story.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
OP is just joking, c'mon y'all.
ARR as it is now, especially the lead up to the expansion is incredibly long. Luckily it's getting a revamp in the next patch, so people on the fence have that to look forward to come summer.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers >> Heavensward >> Stormblood >>>>>>>> ARR.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Burned out around 2.2 or 2.3 I think. Haven't been back since. Really wanna make it to Heavensward one day.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
I am currently working my way through the 2.1 to 2.5 content with some friends. I would definitely like to reach the Heavensword content, but I am in no rush. Currently trying to get all the base class to 50, so I can get a feel of how each position (tank, healer, dps) works during dungeons & raids regarding positionals, rotations and roles.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have fun. Everything that comes next is better than ARR to at least some degree. Hope you enjoy DRK too.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am currently working my way through the 2.1 to 2.5 content with some friends. I would definitely like to reach the Heavensword content, but I am in no rush. Currently trying to get all the base class to 50, so I can get a feel of how each position (tank, healer, dps) works during dungeons & raids regarding positionals, rotations and roles.

While its a good idea, a heads up is that the way the jobs work can be starkly different at lvl 80. Take WHM for example; you are probably relying heavily on your GCDs now because that's all you have in your kit, but at level 80, oGCDs become your primary source of healing.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
7cFuoMP.png

so5N9RB.png

GpLpmvL.png

I'm so beautiful

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
It took years, two expansion releases and a cancer scare to motivate me to get through 2.x but, man, am I glad I did. I hope you enjoy the sharp incline of amazing content OP!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Currently close to finishing the OG campaign for ARR myself, I know there is one hell of an amount of 2.X content after.
Meeting main quest scenarios never felt that grindy to me, I kept switching from main quests to class/job quests to feature quests and I always ended up being higher than the required level. Now, armory level it's a whole other thing.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
While its a good idea, a heads up is that the way the jobs work can be starkly different at lvl 80. Take WHM for example; you are probably relying heavily on your GCDs now because that's all you have in your kit, but at level 80, oGCDs become your primary source of healing.
Thanks for the advice. I've been maining PLD during the 2.0 ARR msq, and I can see how greatly my rotation will change from 50 to 80.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I've been maining PLD during the 2.0 ARR msq, and I can see how greatly my rotation will change from 50 to 80.
It gets all sorts of magical, I mean literally magical like you get to spend your MP on attacks. I love PLD and I don't even like playing tanks. PLD is my favorite melee DPS. :p

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The "bad" parts of ARR were decent for the MMO market in 2013. Pretty much only WoW was offering anything better at the time. Definitely dated by today's standards. The quest design feels archaic. It's a bit of a chore to get through now, but certainly not unplayable.
Should be noted that patch 5.3 is changing 2.xx quite a bit.
It's changing it slightly. It's targeting a few problem areas that data showed had the biggest new player drop-off. Anyone playing through ARR now and thinking it sucks won't have their mind changed. It's for the players who are having an alright time, but then hit a certain wall of aimless fetch quests and quit.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best pieces of advice I can offer to someone getting level-gated by the MSQ is to make sure you're doing the daily leveling roulette. It gets you almost 2 levels in 20-30 minutes. Even after the daily, running your highest level duty can get you almost a level per run.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
I know the 700 hours is a joke, but I've been playing on and off since 2.0 launch and I have over 1300 hours. And that's not that much compared to others who have been playing since then.

Anyway, enjoy Heavensward. Watch the HW launch CGI trailer if you haven't already, it owns.

Jul 30, 2019
Vancouver
Dude I feel your pain. I have dropped FFXIV so many times. Over the course of years, I still have not progressed the story past ARR. I will go back to it soon and continue my efforts....

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i played arr on launch and never had to grind without quests apart from the last 2-3 lvls, for which i just joined a fate spam grp in northern thanalan

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
People usually measure MMO playtimes in DAYS so I'm not sure why you thought 700 hours was wholly unbelieveable

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm kinda confused by the "the amount of times I had to grind 3 or 4 levels to pick up the next quest" part though... the only time I remember a gap in MSQ is near the end between I think Lv45 and Lv49. And with things like Road to 70 buff and various accessories that give bonus XP, I can't imagine it ever being a problem. When I recently replayed ARR on an alt, I was waaaaay overleveled by the time I got to Praetorium.

---

Decided to look this up before hitting post reply.

Here is literally the only time there's ever a gap between story quests:

48fT5f5.png

And like I said, with various XP buffs and running daily leveling roulette, you'll be like Lv55 by the time you get here anyway.

Are you sure you're playing Final Fantasy XIV and not some F2P Korean game?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I know OP clarified his stance on the hours thing, but it definitely should be a "meme" for long games.

Like "it gets good after 700 hours".

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk if you're struggling on XP you should queue for PvP once a day. The bonus xp from it is insane and doing that kept me above the levels needed and then some.

I also just finished ARR and got into Heavensward and the story is a huge improvement. I already kinda dug the story towards the end and a bit post ARR but it just keeps going up from there. Enjoy it!

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this took me a lifetime to do.

Across three characters and server changes, I climbed a bit higher every time.

The postgame was even longer than the game before it, but at least it wasn't gated as harshly concerning level requirements. The amount of times I had to grind three to four levels just to accept the next quest in ARR was mindbogglingly frustrating, especially when it was just to serve drinks at a resort or whatever.

The story did, finally, "get good" at the end, although it was slowly ramping up during the entire postgame.

So yes, I completed the 700 hours you need to get to "the good stuff." I'm about to unlock Dark Knight.

I did it. I finally did it.

Edit: I can't believe people are taking the 700 hours thing literally. NO GAME IS 700 HOURS LONG. It took a long time, not an eternity
I played WoW for longer....