• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Subscribing is a weird one for me with less time. It's like subscribing to a backlog, a few gems here and there that get some time but it's still an ever growing backlog that I probably won't play and even playing online isn't a regular occurrence. They really have you by the balls for online play. I only subscribe from time to time when I get a real itch. Standing back, there is some value there but if you aren't playing consistently online and playing these games because well, there might be a main event game taking my time, it's not good value and I think that problem is coming to a head with more subscription services on top. Ideally, gamepass, free online and still buying some games would be ideal to me these days if I had to subscribe to something, PS+ and Xbox Live Gold are old hat and need to be dumped.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
For the past few years, I only subscribe for a month or two when there's an online game I want to play. Usually once a year or so. Most recently it was Apex, but I hadn't played anything online before that since Destiny 2.
You... don't need PS+ for Apex. F2P games are F2P, online play included.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite there yet but I'm very disappointed lately. It's not acceptable to offer me less games for the same cost. Innovate. If you're not offering PS3 and crossplay games anymore, think of something else to do.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I salute you for making the tough decisions, homie. I'm locked up until 2021 and I see that extending into the future unless my friends stop playing PS4. Considering I extended my sub when they were on sale, I feel like I've been getting my money's worth.

Last edited:

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Mines up in June and then I'm out. I only used online for everybody's golf and bloodborne. That's my fault since I purchase all multiplats on pc or Xbox.

Until dawn was my favorite ps+ game, really enjoyed it.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I was actually on the verge of canceling my subscription myself until my cousin suggested that we share an account. He really wanted to play the Division 2 on PS4. So that is what we are doing. Honestly, PS+ is simply a service to play online at this point for me. I haven't played a PS+ game since Rocket League released.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Thanks for the reminder to turn off my auto renewal. I don't play multiplayer and I haven't played a single game they've added in the past year. Loved the service on PS3, but PS4 has been a disappointment in the time I've had it.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I don't really see the point in subscribing just for the games without playing online. The online is the main selling point, otherwise you're paying for a lucky dip of games each month which might suck or you already own.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more than happy with it. I've had some fantastic games out of it, stuff I would never normally try or stuff I had an interest in but not enough to buy. I mean, it's like ÂŁ4 a month, I spend more than that on sandwiches every day.

Mind you, Conan Exiles was a low point. I started downloading it, realised it was 76gb, paused it, checked YouTube for some gameplay, came back and cancelled the download because it looks like complete dogshit.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Got Division 2 in PS4 because I thought the playerbase would be bigger there than PC at launch. It's the only online game I play but if there's a trial on PC again to see if the game runs well, I might switch over there.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
been out for about a year now... I don't miss it... course it's not my primary place to play and I mostly don't play online cause my friends and I are all on different game schedules

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm probably going let my sub lapse this year. I don't play as much online games as I used to, and I just don't see the value of the offerings any more. I'll probably get roped back in once we get PS5 offerings (which I hope happens sooner than later).

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been heavily considering it as well. I rarely play any of the PS+ games. PS4 is my exclusive box, I play 99% of 3rd party games on PC or Xbox, and most of Sony's first party games are single player, so I don't need the PS+ multiplayer functionality. With both of those, it doesn't really make sense for me to keep playing it. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but mine will renew in a few weeks but might cancel before then.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I'm pretty indifferent towards it right now. I re subbed on Black Friday for about $3 per month. I'd say I don't get much value from it, but at $3 per month it's basically impossible to not to. Each year usually has a couple fun ps+ games and a couple discounts for games that I buy.

I'd could buy one less coffee each month and it would make a bigger difference than eliminating ps+ lol

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
The only Plus games I've actually played for more than an hour over the past year or so have been Telltale Batman and The Witness, both of which I burned through in a weekend.

The only reason I keep it around is because my subscription expires around Black Friday.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I buy discount PSN cards and have the next 2-3 years covered. By the time I run out the ps5 will have released and we'll be back to 4 games again. lol. If they were asking for a lot I'd maybe stop subscribing too. But it's such a small amount per week i find it hard to care.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm with you, I have zero interest in re-upping after being a Plus sub since day one. The latest recent changes/reductions in what comes with the service have made it a lot less appealing.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: nvm

What happens to my game saves on ps+ when i stop renewing?

I believe they stay in the cloud for six months: https://community.eu.playstation.co...o-PlayStation-Plus-Members-From/td-p/12558216

If your PlayStation Plus subscription expires then you will no longer be able to access Online Storage until you renew your subscription. However, any game saves stored will be kept for six months and you will be able to access them as before when you renew the subscription, as long as you do so within that six month period.

That's from 2011 though.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I occasionally subscribe for 2 weeks using a new account if friends want to play, otherwise the value of the service is just kinda meh now

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Agreed OP. PS+'s quality has been headed straight down and really hasn't matched the ps3's quality at all this generation which is surprising. It feels like as soon as Sony gets a lead they forget what brought them there.

OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
As I wrote, assuming that with PS5 Sony will go back on giving 4 or 6 games is wrong. If they see the actual model with 2 game works and people subscribe to the service regardless, you can forget about getting more games. It will be like 1 Ps4 and 1 PS5 game, with the first games being PS4 ports of existing indie titles like it happened when PS4 launched. Best case scenario the PS5 is bc and Sony can keep giving 2 PS4 games that will work on the new console too until they figure out on what introducing with PS5, and this assuming the "free" games will still be a thing when PS5 launches, they could just remove them entirely and only leave PSNow as an option, with people paying to just play online.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I decided last year that I wouldn't resub. I lost interest in online gaming years ago, and with the vast majority of PS+ sub bonuses being multiplatform games that I already owned or were otherwise available on PC, I wasn't getting anywhere near my money's worth. Really, subscribing to an online gaming service on a console, even with the bonuses, is a very tough sell if your primary platform is PC/mobile/whatever else.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I did this last year, I pretty much play exclusively on Xbox due to gamepass, and me not buying games whatsoever.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I buy discount PSN cards and have the next 2-3 years covered. By the time I run out the ps5 will have released and we'll be back to 4 games again. lol. If they were asking for a lot I'd maybe stop subscribing too. But it's such a small amount per week i find it hard to care.
I'm not sure this is true or they would have started giving away a free PSVR game when they dropped PS3 and Vita.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Im feeling you. Im only a subscriber because of Destiny. The few good PS+ games, discounts and exclusive items arent arent really that good to justify the price. My subscription last until mid 2021 and then i will evaluate if its still worth it to me. Maybe Sony will spice up PS+ for the next generation, but i bearly play online anyways except for Apex, but that doesnt require PS+.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I think Sony is aware of this, your library is held hostage by the subscription, you stop subbing, you lose everything and you need to repurchase each title. Some persons will just sub to play online, but it's not my case. As I wrote before, I'm just considering to repurchase what I want and stop looking at Plus, better spend the 60€ in something I REALLY want instead of hoping Sony will put something I like on the service. The sad fact is, unlike Microsoft, you can't even purchase the games given with Plus if you are a subscriber, so even if some games offer a Plus discount, you can't still purchase them, and way too often some games didn't get so many discounts, or following discounts are not good like they used too. So to purchase what you want you need to wait until your sub expires and hope the game you wanted to get will see a deep sale, awful system in my opinion.

Holy shit. This is absolutely correct. I appreciate this post.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I only pay for it because of the online MP held hostage behind it for reasons.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh i am thinkin the same its that i share my main acc wirh my cousin and that all my acc have psplus that way includin my sisters otherwise i would unsub aswell.

They really need to replace rhose lost ps3 and vita games with 2 other ps4 games so 4 a month. Heck idm if those are indies.

Or make psnow cheaper for subs. Or give us 2-4psnow titles we can chose each month to play outta selection.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Mine expired on november and i see no point in it too. Plus free games doesnt require it so..

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
For the past few years, I only subscribe for a month or two when there's an online game I want to play. Usually once a year or so. Most recently it was Apex, but I hadn't played anything online before that since Destiny 2.
I started doing this now. And to keep my cloud saves alive since I hadn't subbed since November.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yep same here.

I was a Plus subscriber since I got my Vita back in... 2013 I think.
I kept that sub alive with a PS3 and PS4 right up until I got an XB1X for Red Dead, which came with a Gold sub. I've kept that going with the rewards program (which is great!) and let the Plus sub lapse.

I realise now that I mostly kept Plus for the free games, but in the end I wasn't playing them all that much. I can always sub again if I need to!
I'm a bit sore that my cloud saves are inaccessible though, especially since my Vita had to be wiped when the 64Gb card died. I still don't have my old saves...

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
I should never have to pay to unlock the internet I'm already paying for.

That said, there's been a ton of quality games over the past few years alone on the service.

This is the the dumbest post I've read in a while. So everything on the internet "that you already pay for" should be free?
Should access to Netflix be free? Access to Hulu? Access to Office 365? Spotify?

Oct 31, 2017
This is the the dumbest post I've read in a while. So everything on the internet "that you already pay for" should be free?
Should access to Netflix be free? Access to Hulu? Access to Office 365? Spotify?

I've paid for the console and the game. Paying to allow myself to use the internet that I already pay for in said game, yes, should be free. PC seems to do pretty well in this department (and *gasp* the PS3). Buying the game should unlock utilizing the internet for which I pay.

If this is the dumbest post you've read in a while, then welcome to your first day on the internet.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
I've paid for the console and the game. Paying to allow myself to use the internet that I already pay for in said game, yes, should be free. PC seems to do pretty well in this department (and *gasp* the PS3). Buying the game should unlock utilizing the internet for which I pay.

If this is the dumbest post you've read in a while, then welcome to your first day on the internet.
You pay for a service that Sony offers you. Just like Netflix, Spotify, etc etc.

You paid for the console. You own it.
You paid for the game. You own it (or have the ability to play it, but that's a different issue).
You want the ability to play online, Sony offers you the ability to do so on their console for a fee. Sony is not locking the internet for you, are they?

Just because you pay your ISP for the ability to access the internet, that does not entitle you to access all content on the internet for free

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I should really do the same. I've spent hundreds of € on ps+ over the years and the only game I played more than an hour was Rayman Legends and Ratchet & Clank. Don't play online either.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped last year and haven't regretted it.

Two fairly large price hikes in two years. A service that wen't down every time a major release came out. The quality of titles dropping off a cliff and the frequency I used it all contributed.

I keep an eye out to see it it looks like its improving back to PS3 levels of quality but it seems to be getting worse if anything.

The only things I miss are the auto OS updates which are a PITA and I cannot believe they are the only company in the industry that charge for that. The software discounts were generally pretty good as well. But anything which is on PC generally hits that price point beforehand, and exclusives have likely been bought at release if I'm interested.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know why I subscribes to any of these services. I don't play online anymore lol. It's just laziness and I like the option of being able to play online.

Oct 31, 2017
You pay for a service that Sony offers you. Just like Netflix, Spotify, etc etc.

You paid for the console. You own it.
You paid for the game. You own it (or have the ability to play it, but that's a different issue).
You want the ability to play online, Sony offers you the ability to do so on their console for a fee. Sony is not locking the internet for you, are they?

Just because you pay your ISP for the ability to access the internet, that does not entitle you to access all content on the internet for free

No, what you're suggesting is after purchasing Netflix, somebody should purchase something to stream on Netflix. I've bought the console to play the game, and I've bought the game. Paying to use the internet I already bought to play the game I bought is just a way to nickle and dime, which is why you're able to use Netflix and Spotify without PS+. Purchasing the game should allow you to use all features within the base game.

With Netflix, as long as I pay for internet, I get to use Netflix. If I want to play Overwatch, telling me I need to purchase the game and then the ability to play the game is anti-consumer and a way to lock me out of using the internet I already pay for.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
No, what you're suggesting is after purchasing Netflix, somebody should purchase something to stream on Netflix. I've bought the console to play the game, and I've bought the game. Paying to use the internet I already bought to play the game I bought is just a way to nickle and dime, which is why you're able to use Netflix and Spotify without PS+. Purchasing the game should allow you to use all features within the base game.

With Netflix, as long as I pay for internet, I get to use Netflix. If I want to play Overwatch, telling me I need to purchase the game and then the ability to play the game is anti-consumer and a way to lock me out of using the internet I already pay for.

I am not suggesting that at all. So you bought the game, are you not able to play it? In regards to Overwatch, I guess you missed the part where it says that PS+ is required to play it. Just like any other online only game.
In case you haven't noticed, you're able to use Netflix and Spotify because it's not a Sony service, but correct me if I'm wrong.

With Netflix, if you don't have a subscription, you can't access it. I don't know where you get your "With Netflix, as long as I pay for internet, I get to use Netflix" from.

Oct 31, 2017
I am not suggesting that at all. So you bought the game, are you not able to play it? In regards to Overwatch, I guess you missed the part where it says that PS+ is required to play it. Just like any other online only game.
In case you haven't noticed, you able to use Netflix and Spotify because it's not a Sony service, but correct me if I'm wrong.

With Netflix, if you don't have a subscription, you can't access it. I don't know where you get your "With Netflix, as long as I pay for internet, I get to use Netflix" from.

Sony has an exclusive partnership with Spotify. Nor does it matter: third party games requires PS+ to play, so Sony or not, paying to unlock the ability to use the internet on games you bought is anti-consumer. Overwatch requires PS+ because Sony requires PS+. Overwatch does not require a subscription to play on PC. Yet on consoles, I have to unlock the ability to play a game I bought, when buying the game should give me the ability to play the game. The fact that it says PS+ is required to play it is the point: purchasing the game should be the requirement alone, as it is on PC.

All I need to do is purchase a month of Netflix and I get to use it. I don't have to pay for Netflix and then pay for the ability to use Netflix. That's what you're saying is acceptable if we follow this logic. Gran Turismo Sport requires PS+ to play most of the game. Same with Driveclub and Sea of Thieves. Purchasing the game alone should allow you access to content in the game; I shouldn't have to pay to use the game after paying for the game.

The only reason we accept this is because Microsoft introduced it and it was successful, and the others followed suit. Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, and PC all had no problems not charging us to use the internet to play games we already own.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
All I need to do is purchase a month of Netflix and I get to use it. I don't have to pay for Netflix and then pay for the ability to use Netflix. That's what you're saying is acceptable if we follow this logic. Gran Turismo Sport requires PS+ to play most of the game. Same with Driveclub and Sea of Thieves. Purchasing the game alone should allow you access to content in the game; I shouldn't have to pay to use the game after paying for the game.

So and if you purchase a month a PS+ (a subscription just like Netflix), you can't use it's features? Because one of it's features is online play.
Again, I guess you missed the part on those game where it says that Online Play is required for the game. Pickup a box for one of those games, a look at the back of it. The tell me that I'm wrong

So I bought a car, but I need to pay for gas for the ability to drive it? What an outrage...

The only reason we accept this is because Microsoft introduced it and it was successful, and the others followed suit. Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, and PC all had no problems not charging us to use the internet to play games we already own.

I guess you missed MMOs on PC way before Microsoft came up with Xbox Live

Oct 31, 2017
So and if you purchase a month a PS+ (a subscription just like Netflix), you can't use it's features? Because one of it's features is online play.
Again, I guess you missed the part on those game where it says that Online Play is required for the game. Pickup a box for one of those games, a look at the back of it. The tell me that I'm wrong

So I bought a car, but I need to pay for gas for the ability to drive it? What an outrage...

You keep making this point as if it's a gotcha: the fact that you have to pay to use the internet that you already paid to use is the problem. Online play is required.... and if I play it on PC, or if I played an online game for two generations prior, I was not paying to play the game I already bought with the internet I already pay to use. Buying Overwatch on Steam, buying Call of Duty on PC, all allow me to play multiplayer in the game. I don't have to pay to unlock the internet, which is all you're doing with PS+ since I can watch Netflix/listen to Spotify without PS+. It's locked because they make it locked, not because it's actually essential that you have to pay for it. You needed internet to play MAG last gen; that didn't mean you had to pay for an additional service to play the game you already spent money to buy.

The gas analogy is so dumb that it's ironic you came into this thread going, "HOW DUMB!" when you did not think your argument through at all. Ignorance really does beget confidence.